Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Should survivors get a guaranteed safety pip if they escape?

Bugcats
Bugcats Member Posts: 45

I think survivors should be guaranteed a safety pip if they finish a game by escaping the trial. Some games there's literally nothing you can do about a killer who camps a teammate other than finish the gens and escape; but quick game means 9/10 times at red ranks I de-pip. It just doesn't seem fair that by playing the game and escaping as survivors we still get punished by a killer not playing the game how it should be played. Just a thought and would be a pretty nice peace of mind buff for survivors; not even a gameplay buff.

Comments

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

Honestly, yes.

At least a safety pip if you get out, and at least a safety pip if you 4k. (Or 3k, since that counts as a "win" according to BHVR?)

Maybe they don't want to encourage people to hide in corners all game until the hatch/door opens or something. I dunno.

• WheresTheGate
    WheresTheGate Member Posts: 575

Absolutely. It's ridiculous to actually complete what is supposed to be the objective of the game as a survivor and not be rewarded for it.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    edited June 2020

I think a killer should automatically safety pip if a majority of survivors are dead, too.

People hiding in corners all game is solved with crow notifications. They should just make this happen if there is no meaningful interaction (at least 10 seconds of continuous generator repairs, a co-op healing action, a chest search/totem clear, or an encounter with the killer) for some reasonable amount of time, regardless of whether they are hiding in one place or moving about.

• OniKobayashi
    OniKobayashi Member Posts: 274

As long as Killers get a safety pip for killing one Survivor. Do minimal and get a draw score should be the same for both sides.

• Bugcats

Glad you feel the same. It just seems pointless when you literally play the game as best as you can and escape but because the killer refuses to play properly you can't even safety pip.

• Bugcats

Yeah especially when you can't do anything about how the killer plays so you're forced to escape with minimal points. Definitely a way to improve the game.

• Bugcats

When the killer face camps and body blocks someone how do you expect to save them? And when they don't move and tunnel someone so hard you literally can't interact or get any kind of chase points. At red ranks you need like at least 1 gold 3 silvers so good luck getting that from a killer who refuses to play properly.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

You guys know you can pick a fight with the killer right? Just go jump in his way a few times. If its going as badly as youre saying hes probably not going to kill you. And even if he does youll probably still pip. What it sounds like is youre more concerned about escaping than pipping. Which is perfectly fine and legit but thats not how pips work for a reason. Its tge same reason killers only safety or possibly even depip if they kill tge whole team to quickly.

Of course im not saying pipping system is perfect but it genuinely is to easy to rank up right now. Ive played against people in red ranks that legit should still be in yellow.

• OniKobayashi
    OniKobayashi Member Posts: 274

That would be acceptable. But it would mean a Killer could camp two hooks and get a draw. That would be the equivalent as that one Survivor who did bare minimal for their team (partial gen completion, no totems, no saves, hides most of the game) getting a draw score.

• Vampirox
    Vampirox Member Posts: 411

dude stop pips dont mean anything in this game other than amount played this reset, just wait for MMR to come out

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

Yeah im not saying thats necessarily how it SHOULD be, just that if were considering escaping as an acceotable condition to safety then 2 kills would be a pretty apt comparison.

All of this kind of points out why the emblem system is flawed, because trying to quantify what seperates a good player from a bad one isnt an easy thing to do.

• EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054

pips wont matter anymore after the new mm is implemeted

horrible idea

• Rydog

You're assuming they're going to get it right, out of the gate.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

I'm literally always at red ranks mate.

Safety pip as survivor is insanely easy.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553

I dont wanna pip, so no. :(

• TraitorousLeopard
    TraitorousLeopard Member Posts: 156

For the ranking system? Sure, since that's on its way out anyway. For the new MMR system? Definitely no.

• Bugcats

Yeah this is a tweak for the current system as it's flawed in a lot of areas in my opinion. New system should fix a lot of issues if its implemented correctly.

• Bugcats

I see where you're coming it was just a quick idea but yeah what you mentioned is definitely a big flaw. Just hope the new system can fix these current issues for both survivor and killer tbh.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I'd be good with that. But killers should get a minimum of a safety for 2 kills.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,140

Maybe if the survivor gets out via the exit gate after all the gens are done I could see it being a guaranteed safety pip. Maybe

Hatch? No. I've had killers stomp my team's ass and then give me a pity hatch. I depipped in those situations, and I deserved that depip. A hatch escape can be due to killer pity or just RNG luck, and neither is worthy of a safety pip.

• Polidoro
    Polidoro Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2020

It's fine right now.

if you give a safety pip for escaping people will probably not go for a last minute unhook nor do any risky stuff on end game/collapse unless they owe it to a friend. Maybe not even then.

If you give a safety pip with a 2k for killer he'll probably be relieved and stall the game just for extra points or farm which is fine by me when it happens "sometimes" but would be super boring if it happened all the time.

The point right now is that you never really know how well you've done until the game is finished and this forces you into taking risks, making bad choices and mistakes and this makes the game fun, tense and suspenseful.

Eliminatet all the emergent drama and the game would be boring as hell. When a game result is predictable it leaves out many gray area choices and quickly becomes boring.

I'd give more emblems for doing some risky actions inside the terror radius though. For example I usually do a last second hook sabotage which could potentially snowball into a survivor wiggling out and other being healed back into the game but the game does not really reward emblems for it. This should be adressed as risky, bold moves are what make the game fun and players that "play it safe" should be punished, not the other way around.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,140

This is true. The most fun I ever have in this game is making risky late-game saves. Those are my favorite moments that I can remember.

• Rydog

All you people questioning this idea, think about how stupid it looks, from a casual player's perspective, that you can fulfill the central goal of the game and still rank down. Like, pretend you don't know anything about this game, and that it is being explained to you for the first time. Think about how backwards that would sound.

I swear, people are incapable of stepping outside of the context of their own experience to fairly evaluate the flaws or merits of something.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Actually, I think it's pretty dependent on what happened in the trial. If someone in a 4-man got carried through by perks and teammates, I don't think they should get a black pip. If someone was running a full second-chance build that clearly carried them, that shouldn't be a black pip. If someone had a key... That shouldn't be a black pip. If someone waited for their team to die and camped the hatch, that shouldn't be a black pip.

The current system is by no means good, but getting rewarded for escaping in a trial that can be near-0 skill (not often, but it can be) is a bad idea.

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

So you think it's stupid to not require people who don't know anything about this game to get to know things about the game and play well in order to rank up? Btw, I can think about people who don't know anything about the game and have it explained to them the first time cause this happens ALL THE TIME. You get somebody new to start playing and then you explain it to them. Then they understand it cause they don't refuse to accept reality (or at least that's true of my friends). If you don't play well, you don't rank up. Very simple concept.

• Meroko
    Meroko Member Posts: 107
    edited June 2020

You can't possibly be this stupid. Use your brain and think about what you just said. How many games do we have where the killer plays like #########, tunnels one player and camps them? Leaving you with no chance at altruism or getting killer chase points.

Rushing to finish a game against a bad player, I agree with your statement...but the realistic game outcome is what I've mentioned. You should not be punished because a killer refused to participate in 3/4 of the game. Same can be said for killer, if survivors DC and you kill only 1 as a result, you shouldn't de-pip but you do.

Needs to be a way to determine things like this so it doesn't rob good players of being penalized for doing nothing wrong.

• Rydog

I think it's unhealthy when the game doesn't make clear internal sense, with weird contradictions at like the most basic level. If I say "Your goal is to escape," and then you escape, and the game punishes you, you're probably going to go "I thought my goal was to escape. Why did I get punished for completing the goal?" This is dumb. I'm not saying there shouldn't be degrees of granularity to the ranking system that differentiate between mediocre or stellar performance; I'm saying that it should adhere to a little bit more basic logic than it currently does.

Also, the question in the topic is about whether you should get a safety pip for escaping. That is a zero-sum pip that doesn't improve or diminish your rank at all. So, if you're meeting the "bare minimum" of escaping without playing any better than you have to in order to get out, then you'd still be effectively just treading water, if the game gave you a safety pip. This would still compel players to improve their skills in order to actually rank up.

• Bugcats

Agreed. A casual player would know to complete gens and escape and sometimes (killer playstyle dependent) by doing so they are actually punished and de-pip.

• bingbongboi90
    bingbongboi90 Member Posts: 576

If we can give Killers a safety pip by getting 2 kills or more

But then we have a problem that camping isnt getting punished.

And survivors that doesn't do ######### whole game are also rewarded.

Pipping and escaping are 2 different things . the only thing that needs to change is how the emblems are given.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

Very few.

And even when they do camp and tunnel, you can still interact with him.

Or you know, get borrowed time and other perks to help with this situation you apparently encounter every other match.

Also, pretty sure insults are against the forum rules, so chill.

Survivors, absolutely don't need a free safety pip. Because they get it way too easy already.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

Indeed.

It goes both way too, nothing like slamming a team as a killer and getting a 4k with a de-pip.

• Rydog

I don't think I have ever seen that happen before, in my own experience as killer at least. What would you have to do in order to kill everyone and de-pip? Could it only happen from a ton of camping or something?

• thottiepippen
    thottiepippen Member Posts: 98
    edited June 2020

It really sucks when you get tunneled early while the gens are dropping. You can't contribute. You finally get some room to breathe, and you can't do enough (avoiding third hook, helping team mates etc) to avoid a depip. I think this is a great idea.

• Rydog

Yes!

If you loop the killer literally the entire match, and your actions result in all five gens being popped and everyone getting out alive, you will de-pip. That doesn't make sense to me, because in that scenario you were the MVP.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

For Exit Gates absolutely.

• emptyCups
    emptyCups Member Posts: 1,262

Sure

Ranks don't matter

• Rydog

I see people make this claim a lot, and I really don't understand it.

It's true that ranks don't carry a lot of incentive, in terms of having any sort of reward or really effective matchmaking structure around them. But many of us have obviously run the gamut from brown to red ranks ourselves, and have been grouped with all manner of other survivors. You can't honestly claim there is no difference between a yellow rank player and a red rank player.

• emptyCups
    emptyCups Member Posts: 1,262

No incentive, no reward

Get matched with all ranks anyway

Play killer or swf rank once again won't matter

And skill has no bearing because I can be 100% effective as killer and steamroll a team and still only safey pip.

I'm rank 16 killer main who doesn't miss a 4k because I took some time off lol

Rank 1 Survior last month who got there never ever touching a gen or being chased. I got from 17 to 1 just being carried and hiding in lockers.

So really what does rank do for anyone anyway ?

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

You do know that means I could basically sit in basement and do absolutely nothing but just spam emotes and just escape through Hatch that means I'll safety by default even though it's undeserved

• Rydog

I think this change would also have to accompanied by some catches to make sure killers can see other players (via repeated loud noise notifications) who choose not to engage in any meaningful action for some amount of time. At best, they would get carried and only receive a safety pip and effectively go nowhere, and at worst they would be a really easy target for the killer.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

If you hook survivors without much of a chase or with certain killer 1 shot abilities and either they don't get saved/hook suicide you do not get enough chaser/malice? emblem and just like the image above do not gain enough points for a pip.

Thanks to the odd matchmaking this can happen frequently enough unless you les people go and artificially extend the match.

• Rydog

Yeah, this is just as backwards as survivors de-pipping on an escape.

• xTalon32
    xTalon32 Member Posts: 413
    edited June 2020

So you're saying a killer who camps or does anything else you don't like isn't playing properly? The killers job is to kill, not cater to your idea of what they should play like. Survivors die, it's part of the game and if you don't like that I don't know why you play.

I do believe the emblem system is a problem, though not enough to give out free safety pips.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497

No, a killer can kill all 4 survivors and still depip, I see no reason why survivors should be the exception. Also if you escape and depip then you were utterly useless and deserve to derank.