Locking Dwight's Last Memories Behind A Paywall... Nice...

2»

Comments

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

Just because you have no intention of buying her, doesn't mean they're locked behind a paywall, which is all they were saying.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

It's not the entry point that's the problem

There is a kate challenge that unlocks dwights story

• Sonzaishinai

I mean sure you could look the lore up i suppose

Why stop there though? You can also find a ton of gameplay on youtube so you can enjoy the game without even paying for it.

You don't even need to go through the grind. Watching a video of it is just the same as having it yourself right?

On a serious note i know it's not really a big deal. Just sucks if your favorite characters suddenly happens to be the one who has a surprise 9000 shard price tag to the final lore piece

It's something they really should avoid in the future tomes, shards while free are quite a timeconsuming currency to obtain

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

the only licensed character they could make lore for is Ghostface, because hes half licensed half original

• Dolls
    Dolls Member Posts: 395

Its not fair cause Kate was free on Switch. Giving some people freebies where others have to work towards it...doesnt seem fair.. Everyone on Switch can do Kate challenges right away.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited May 2020

Eh. All the lore for each Tome eventually goes up on the DbD Wiki anyway. I've read them all for the previous Tomes and haven't even bothered doing challenges for any Tome unless they were very easy for the free extra BP.

• Oicimau
    Oicimau Member Posts: 897

@Peanits made it clear that only chars that van be bought with shards will be in the Tomes.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

there is STILL another tome level to go. if you cant' get that piece unlocked right now wait two or three weeks and new lore options to have done and you can get that. in the first tome I went through and the last claudette lore came from a tome level 3 challenge! kinda not hard to do when you wait. You came out complaining that it's behind a pay wall, when you got debunked you shifted your focus to another tact, when that was debunked you shifted to another focus. and now it's even another change to your story. you just want to complain and you are not even done with tome level 4 right now. you just keep changing your story as to what your post means, tells me that you can't take being proven wrong.

• Sonzaishinai

Ehm probably would help if you looked at the names if you feel that people are changing their stories all the time :p

It's not a problem for me cause i have Kate. I just can understand why it would be annoying for someone who doesn't want Kate

• MerGirl2003
    MerGirl2003 Member Posts: 110

I didn’t notice this before as I’m only interested in unlocking Kate, Huntress and the Legion’s lore, but this does seem pretty shady.

• Freki

I apologize i was combining your complaints with the original poster's complaints because they are VERY similar.

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238
    edited May 2020

Where? It looks like you can just go around those challenges to me.

Edit: Okay, I see what you mean now. I wonder if that was intentional. It doesn't make much sense.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Imagine locking a character's lore behind a challenge for another character that you have to invest in. Excellent move BHVR, as if there weren't enough people buying Kate already.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

It may not be a paywall but it's still a heavy investment just so you can have an achievement for another character, not to mention this is a horrible investment otherwise.

• ggezbaby
    ggezbaby Member Posts: 404
    edited May 2020

sounds to me like you’re just a stubborn person. Kate is FREE. Anything you can buy with shards is FREE. You just need to work for it. I also had no intention or want to buy Kate, but I used my shards to get her for the rift. Do I like her perks? No. Will I use her often? No, but she’s free. So it was no big deal. You just sound entitled. You can spend 9k shards of the 13k u have now.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

"You don't have to purchase her".

Purchase options:

9000 shards

$5

Free options:

None

Currency is currency. Though it can be earned, you are still spending it.

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615
    edited May 2020

This whole OP is a lie anyway you don't have to buy Kate in any way to do the Dwight Challenge. There is a Prologue/Starting point and Dwight is the very first Challenge before Kate's

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

If you only care about the lore, then you don't need to do the archives at all. You can find the lore on the internet. If you care about completing it, then expect to have to put work in to complete it. The fact that you don't want to unlock characters means there's a limit to how much completion you care about anyways. It's either worth it to your or it isn't. And complaining about having to put effort into getting something isn't going to get you sympathy from the majority of players who constantly have to put effort into getting things.

• DetailedDetriment

If you hover over Kate's icon and the survivor master challenge in the top left, you will see that both of the challenges unlock lore pieces for Dwight.

• DetailedDetriment

Isn't she the most purchased I guess "item" in the game other than Nea's Harajuku Graffiti outfit?

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615

In that case wouldn't you also have to count challenges like Boiling Point? That's a kate perk challenge with A Story by any other name as a reward.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

so your point is that you dont intent to get the things required for the challenges, yet you complain about not having the things required to beat the challenges... ?

• Freki

the definition of a paywall: "A paywall is a method of restricting access to content via a purchase or paid subscription. ... Paywalls have also been used as a way of increasing the number of print subscribers; for example, some newspapers offer access to online content plus delivery of a Sunday print edition at a lower price than online access alone." shards are a gift to you for playing, using them does not make this a paywall. you would have to be only able to use cash for this to be a paywall. stop being entitled, and either look up the lore you miss, or use shards to get kate. if you have to get any perk or want any perk you don't have, do you complain about a paywall? NO! you spend 2K shards for it. that's a paywall too by your not normal definitition of a pay wall. and for that matter dwight himself is a PAYWALL, because you must pay cash money to get him in the form of purchasing the game.

STOP changing your story and move along. it is not behind a paywall what so ever, the internet has that bit of lore you miss because of it. nothing is stopping you from complteting the rift OR the tome.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

Wait your right. Dweights lore unlock is the starting point. you have to go through Dweight to get to Kate. thread answered lol

• jzinsky
    jzinsky Member Posts: 112

You can buy Kate with shards, I'm not. So I can't complete this one because it requires characters I don't have, which they said won't happen. Then again the new "classic" killer is a guy with a traffic cone on his head

• des7in
    des7in Member Posts: 47

Which challenges are the wall for you exactly? Excluding the Kate challenge you can still do the Dwight challenge.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334

There are challenges requiring you to play Kate and use Boil Over that unlock more Dwight lore.

• Sonzaishinai

I feel sorry for the op

A third of the comments are being nitpicky on the term "paywall" the second third don't even understand what the problem is and the last third are saying to just grind 20 ingame hours for the 9000 shards for a lore piece

Having to use a character to unlock the lore of another character is stupid. Period

I get it's not the biggest issue in the world but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be mentioned so it can be avoided in the future

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480
    edited May 2020

If you don't have to pay real life money for the character, it's flippin' free. How much more free does it need to be?

It's like people don't know what a paywall is anymore.

Also, to any of the people saying "paywall isn't the point of the post" or whatever, it's kind of hard to say that when the title of the post is literally "LOCKING DWIGHT'S LAST MEMORIES BEHIND A PAYWALL... NICE..." If it was any different of a title/complaint I wouldn't be saying this.

• TatsuyaSuo
    TatsuyaSuo Member Posts: 24

It's not like you're forced to buy dlc, the archives are not going anywhere and getting enough shards to unlock a new character doesn't really take very long given you level up pretty quickly, especially if you play both surv and killer since the first match gives extra exp.

• UnbeatableAsh
    UnbeatableAsh Member Posts: 101

I really vibe with this issue. I just started playing last Halloween myself (not including the maybe 5-10 I'd put in with some friends long prior), so I had the perspective of an already absurd and growing paywall. In the time since then, I've managed to put in something like 140 dollars. I should note that includes the switch version (15) and maybe 5 or 10 bucks on the mobile version. I understand that the devs can say half of their locked content can be bought with shards, but you can't enjoy a killer or even survivor to their fullest without the perks of the others. Even beyond that, shards come ridiculously slowly to ever make getting all the original characters via that route without playing every single day for 14 hours like a maniac possible or realistic. The profile leveling system feels like a soft joke, and could really do with an update or two. Maybe every 5 levels you get to unlock a perk from a randomly generated selection or get 50 auric cells or something. I mean it's bad enough the grind for new players at any point in the last 2 years or so has been ridiculously tedious and overwhelming, imagine if you didn't have BBQ. A perk that, no matter what they say about the shrine, is not available for free under almost any circumstances. Also, I know cosmetics are sort of just that - cosmetics, but the pricing feels cruel. Ten dollars for a skin on a character that costs 5 or sometimes even less if you buy dlc or they're on sale feels weird. At least legendary skins are complete model swaps, with a lot of work behind them and seemingly often a license as well. Why does ash himself and all of perks cost basically the same amount of money as a slightly different shade of pants? That's just weird as hell. Either way, the bigger problem is obviously the paywalls in the game's actual progression. If you were to go back about a year and ask people what they would think if DbD got a mobile game, they'd probably laugh and say something about how it'd have an even worse grind and paywall, with microtransactions left and right.

We now live in a world where the mobile version of DbD somehow has LESS of a paywall than the main game! With no hard paywalls! That is absolutely insane. Within just maybe 30 hours of playing you can get bubba having spent not so much as a penny.

Why? Why is it like this? I don't think the devs intend to be this, like, 'greedy' about it. I think instead they just don't realize how overwhelming the paywall is for players joining the scene at this point. It makes the game a monstrous task as opposed to a fun and interesting set of challenges, goals, and rewards. I think visiting this topic should be a high priority for them, even with all the others that need attention. I know how much they care about keeping a steady flow of newcomers, so I think this would make a lot of sense to put attention and resources into.

How would the devs accomplish this, you might ask? Well, I think any amount of help would be good. I know they're planning to visit prestige rewards, and if that means giving you a few auric cells for your trouble as I believe the mobile version does, that would be a good start, so long as the numbers are right. I think beyond that the game does need a massive overhaul to the progression system though. It wasn't designed with the amount of content we have now in mind, and it shows. That, and it doesn't feel very personal or proportional. We need more overall progression systems for your account, ones that vary from other games to offer a unique and interesting path of choices and rewards. And then we need either more control over the progression systems for each character and side (currently being unable to get the perks you want on the bloodweb for 150 levels or more, for example) or very different systems in their place. I can't imagine what this would look like, but I'm a dumbass spending too much time ranting about a game I know I'm gonna spend too much money and time on and I'm not paid to do it so uhhh yeah devs can pretty much take over from here 🤐

(Also for clarity I have 900 hours on Steam and I feel like I've gone nowhere for the most part, send help)

• Ahoyminoy
    Ahoyminoy Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2020
  • w_sohl
    w_sohl Member Posts: 124

Don't you escape most matches on your second hook? If not, just try to kobe your first time on hook. Whala, challenge complete.

• des7in
    des7in Member Posts: 47

There are other ways to progress to the Dwight challenge. You don't have to do the Kate challenge.

• Gomolazoli
    Gomolazoli Member Posts: 336
  • AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

just save up your shards to buy non licensed characters instead of stupid skins for your survivors or killers.

If you play regularly then you can earn just enough shards or more to buy both characters on release when it's a non licensed chapter. This is what i have been doing the day they allowed you to do this and I own every non-licensed character just by not spending my shards on dumb skins.

so save your shards for characters you don't own that are related to the next archive instead of whining that you can't do the challenge because you misused your shards.

• DetailedDetriment

I spend my shards on perks and characters that I'll play as on a normal basis.

• SpoopyGirl
    SpoopyGirl Member Posts: 23

Not sure if this has been said already, but you don’t have to complete the Kate challenge to start the Dwight challenge. You can start directly from the Dwight master challenge. :)

level 3 has 3 places where you can start completing challenges from. You can start directly from Dwight’s, Huntress, or all the way on the left’s challenges.

• Golden_spider
    Golden_spider Member Posts: 587
    edited June 2020

(Accidental Duplicate)

Post edited by Golden_spider on
  • Timtom24
    Timtom24 Member Posts: 230

thats not the point which he is complaining about. the challenge gives the lore for dwight but you have to play a charackter which you have to unlock with shards or money to get the full story of dwight... thats what he meant

• Golden_spider
    Golden_spider Member Posts: 587

That isn't the issue they have, the issue is a character's lore is locked behind challenges that require you to play and or use a teachable from a completely different character who so happens to not be immediately available to use.

Boiling Point is questionable but at least fine in only requiring you have Boil Over meaning you can technically complete it as Dwight as long as you have the teachable unlocked (and as they said any required teachables would be guaranteed to appear at least once in the Shrine during the corresponding Rift if you don't own the character they're tied to.)

Sing Another Day requires you play as Kate... to unlock lore for Dwight? Are we missing a sentence or something in Dwight's lore saying something like "Kate was eating a sandwich in the background" or anything that'd explain why she apparently is relevant towards it? And by a quick run through the previous Tomes I haven't seen any challenges like it that requires you to play as a completely different character to unlock lore not tied to them.

TL;DR: Paywall was probably a poor word to describe the issue, Actual issue is they're confused why Kate is required at all to unlock lore she is 100% irrelevant towards unless she has some special guest star appearance in it we're missing.

• SpoopyGirl
    SpoopyGirl Member Posts: 23

Oh! My mistake I misread. That is kind of irritating. Especially for newer players

• malatruse
    malatruse Member Posts: 784

I have completed all other challenges for Dwight's lore, but to finish this one I would have to get Kate. Which kinda sucks, because I had previously bought her perks from the shrine for other challenges, thinking it would be more cost effective. Wish I could at least get BP for the perks if I buy her, the way you do when buying teachables you already own from the shrine.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited June 2020

good that you buy characters but bad that you buy perks. just save up for the character and get it along with the perk you want from it and you get 2 additional ones.

• kate_best_girl
    kate_best_girl Member Posts: 2,184

Just get Kate shes best girl