Pop goes the weasel and DS

Options

Why did it take until a simple number buff for it to quickly become one of the best, if not the best, killer perks in dead by daylight? Was that extra time really all that needed to be changed for it to be viable. Looking at how a simple timer buff on pop made it so good, i think a decent nerf to ds is just nerfing its own timer. Maybe even a small change like 10 seconds less will help it not be anywhere as oppressive as it currently is

Comments

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

This is how buffs and nerfs work. Incremental numbers and percentages can change the state of something dramatically. Not everything needs a full redesign.

• Flatskull
    Flatskull Member Posts: 332
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Sluzzy (it won't let me qoute you)

I agree.

Gens need to be redesigned so they don't soley determine when the match ends. Then pop and other perks need to be looked at. Survivor shouldn't be in control of when a match ends no matter how good they are. They control when the gens are done, when the gates open and when EGC happens which is absurd amount of power for the prey role. Especially the EGC.

It's disheartening and devalues your time to be punished for doing your job-one of the reason people hated old DS since it was a screw you for picking someone up basically- the fact killers have to rely utterly on perks to gain back any control of how quickly the match ends is silly although before we see changes like that we'd need to see more updates for survivors in terms of items, interactables and hiding spots otherwise survivors will die by attrition without control of time.

A lot of these gens perks are band aids for survivors dictating when the match ends. Which they should just fix with a massive update. But I guess we won't see anything like that being worked on until this big graphics update is released.

• Star99er
    Star99er Member Posts: 1,431
    Options

Don’t really think any perks need nerfs atm. I can think of a couple dozen that could use buffs though.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    Options

@ Flatskull

You are right about that, POP is exactly like old DS. If DS was redesigned on that principle, it is fair POP be looked into as well.

I think when you say "dictate" you mean SWF. Remember the solos are playing too, they are definitely not dictating anything. They are trying to do a singular gen and the progress keeps vanishing because of a perk.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

@Real_Cheesus Not every perk needs to be meta. But I do agree that the majority of the perks need reworked.

@Rydog You as I said above, not every perk needs to be meta. But every perk should feel useful. As it stands the majority of perks don't.

@Sluzzy Pop works perfectly. It's arguably one of the best designed perks in the game. You're right high mobility killers benefit from it more. But that's true with most perks. Unfortunately high mobility usually means viability in a game where time is so important.

• matchmakingworksfine
    matchmakingworksfine Member Posts: 240
    Options

@shwag

Yeah I can tell. Judging from her opinions shes obviously played one killer match but acts as if shes otz and knows everything. I remember her saying "ghostface has an overpowered insta down basekit"

• emptyCups
    emptyCups Member Posts: 1,262
    Options

I mean pop isn't that strong... if you down someone and hook them in the right spot you can kill 15 seconds of gen i guess...

But It doesn't have any synergize, it won't work with ruin or surge or tremors and you need to spend time going after a gen while other survivors are doing progress anyway and getting the save

And if you hook someone else too quickly it won't work with the long cooldown and if your stuck in a chase you won't get to use it anyway..

Its only good because most killer perks are utter garbage

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

Pop was always good for like Nurse and Billy but not for other killers because it takes so long to cross the map and use it. You basically had to rush to the gen and use it right away to get value. Now you have a lot of time to use it, you can chase survivors a bit and still get to use it.

Also it was overshadowed by Ruin until Ruin got changed. There was almost no point to run Pop even with the extended timer. Now it's just replaced Ruin as the most viable gen slowing perk.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,947
    Options

One of the main reasons I'm never moved by these discussions about DS is that there are always from the perspective of the killer. What about the Survivor? What about the times when you get unhooked and the killer tunnels you? And the tunneling goes beyond 60 Seconds? What if you get slugged and no one comes to help you? Or the other person is also on a hook? What about when you get tunneled off the hook the second time around? I always hear crying and whining from killers but none of the discussion takes into account the problems that survivors face. I know from experience when there is no Obsession in a match, the killer has the freedom and discretion to tunnel and instantly rehook people without hesitation. I can't speak for others but I hate running DS, and Unbreakable. At least on red ranked PS4, all you do is run into 100% tunneling and 75% Sluggers. So any balanced conditions and deactivation suggestions should also consider a lot of other issues from the Survivor perspective.

• idekanamelol
    idekanamelol Member Posts: 33
    Options

DS is fine. It’s not overpowered. It legit just gives a survivor a chance to get away from hook

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238
    Options

I think the timer should be shortened a lot, but it pauses during a chase. However, they would need to make the chase mechanics less janky.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    Options

@LALYTHIA

The Pug is meant to be anti tunnel it has always been established even by the developers as being an anti tunnel perk it is not freedom for you to do whatever stupid move want for a 60 seconds because you know you're not going to be punished.

I think the idea is a great change it still works as an anti tunnel perk but if you make any attempt towards objectives you could get screwed over however it also allows for clutch endgame decisive plays for example someone with decisive using borrowed time to save someone has been camped and using the decisive to escape themselves.

However if you have decisive strike up and you start working on totems or a generator you are not being tunnelled if you feel safe enough to do so so the perk should deactivate.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

@Volfawott

In a thread not too long ago, the developers confirmed it isn't an anti-tunnel perk. The community labelled it as such, but that wasn't the original design premise of it.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,380
    edited June 2020
    Options

@Doddle28 the devs have said, in regards to DS "..use DS a long time after being unhooked, where it no longer serves the purpose to protect you from being tunneled/ farmed".

Source: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/48381/design-decisive-strike#latest

Also recently they said "The idea of it being purely to stop tunneling came from the community."

Source: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/150989/have-the-devs-confirmed-ds-is-supposed-to-be-a-anti-tunnel-perk/p1

It is an anti-tunnel perk, just not purely an anti-tunnel perk. Please don't spread false information.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

@MrPenguin

That was me remembering a quote incorrectly, apologies.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,023
    Options

@Nicholas Typically when people talk about deactivation requirements, it comes from the idea that "If X happens, your not being tunneled". If you had time to work on a gen for example, the killer isnt tunneling you.

• lucid4444
    lucid4444 Member Posts: 682
    Options

DS just needs to be deactivated if you unhook another player or start repairing a gen. It's fine as is, it doesn't punish "playing badly as a surv" as much as it helps when your teammates farm you and unhook right in front of the killer, or you get tunneled. As it is now, it's almost like a 2nd borrowed time, there's no reason to not run it!

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

i always viewed pop as a top tier killer perk for gen slowdown ever since its release.

i think the reason why it wasnt very popular was, as it's been completely overshadowed by the old Hex:Ruin.

the number buff was nice, but its not the main reason why the perk got very popular all of a sudden.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015
    Options

I feel like the biggest factor of Pop becoming meta was the nerf of Ruin. Many people stopped using it and wanted an alternative. The timer increase to Pop certainly was a nice change but I feel like it did little in terms of pushing people to use it.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826
    edited June 2020
    Options

Are 10 seconds really killing you?

You can't leave the survivor slugged on the floor for 10 more seconds?

I laugh at killers when they say "Survivor Immunity" because slugging isn't an option.

I completely forgot this game bans any killer who slugs and it's not an efficient strategy and need to find another excuse to have DS nerfed.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Personally I think ds is fine. I just slug people and they can lay on the ground and think about the dumb thing they just did while their timer runs out. The only time I eat a ds is if its early in the match. The general thought is "that was stupid, theres still 4 gens left. You BETTER have ds" usually they do. Theyre typically quiet the rest of the match after that.

• immortalls96
    immortalls96 Member Posts: 4,652
    Options

Not at end gsme..but elsewhere is tolerable

• JasonS
    JasonS Member Posts: 100
    Options

IMO Decisive Strike should deactivate if you touch a generator or a Hex totem, or if you get pulled from a locker. If they do that they can increase the timer for all I care. As long as the survivor can't do objectives while being immune to being hooked, it would be totally fine.

The other option is to make DS deactivate if another survivor is hooked while it is active. If a different survivor is hooked while your DS is turned on, obviously you aren't being tunneled so DS should not protect you.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873
    edited June 2020
    Options

What if DS were to work so you get DS after being unhooked after holding a chase for 60 seconds? (previous chases can count and it still has a 60 second timer)

• immortalls96
    immortalls96 Member Posts: 4,652
    Options
  • Freesham
    Freesham Member Posts: 262
    Options

While Pop rewards the killer for playing well, DS rewards survivors for playing poorly, or the killer playing too well.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,947
    Options

@LordGlint I understand but this is all from The Killer's perspective. The issue with deactivation conditions is that they don't necessarily signify you're not being tunneled. I listed a few examples where you ARE being tunneled and how ineffectual DS is during those moments. Until I see a meaningful discussion about this from the Survivor's perspective, these conversations are a waste of time. How can we make the only Survivor perk that barely helps with being tunneled become even less effective and more favorable for The Killer? Is the question all of these topics aim to satisfy.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,429
    Options

So like now it would have a cost in that you would need to keep him chasing you for a certain amount of time to activate it?

• Poweas
    Options

Basically, yeah. MOM is another second chance perk and you have to earn that one, so why not earn DS by being chased? Plus, you could always reduce/increase the requirement if it's weak/strong.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,429
    Options

I like the idea of it having a cost and asking something of you. However, I feel the devs would think that wouldn't stop them from getting downed right as they come off the hook.

• Poweas
    Options

Well, it was just an idea. I personally like it as it is btw, because it is very easy to counter. (I don't use it btw, unless I've had a bad day and wanna go tryhard)

• Perelie
    Perelie Member Posts: 433
    Options

It needs to at least be reworked completely like Ruin did. Ruin's useless now so DS should be too.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

If a killer is intent on removing you from a game, there are no perks that will prevent it. Lengthen it, yes. But if a killer wants you, even if that killer loses the rest of the match, that killer will get you. If both skill levels are similar.

The problem many killers have with DS is that they get hit by it many times just for being too efficient. A 5 seconds stun can be huge in a time based game like this.

Most people arent forgetting that DS is still the best anti tunnel perk regardless of what the devs view it as. Most killers would be fine with DS that only worked for anti-tunnel situations.

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209
    Options

Then you have not played killer during egc with 4 people having it active it’s literally being forced to take an L cuz of a perk