Dwight the Brave Absurdly Difficult

Is anyone else having, or has anyone else had, extreme trouble completing the Dwight the Brave challenge on Level III of the Escalation Tome? As Dwight, you need to hide within 10 meters of the killer for 60 seconds without getting caught.

Firstly, the wording is confusing. Do I need to hide for 60 consecutive seconds, or will it accumulate if I spend shorter lengths of time intermittently hiding near the killer? Does the phrase "without getting caught" mean that if I spent, say, 59 seconds successfully hiding from the killer but then get found that means the time I spent hiding gets cancelled out and I need to hide all over again? How do I even determine whether I'm within 10 meters of the killer?

Secondly, I feel that this challenge is a great example of challenges that require players to go so far outside of normal gameplay it actually becomes detrimental to the match. I've been trying to complete this challenge for several days now, and I don't know how I'm expected to not completely fail my team if I'm trying to hug the killer without him/her spotting me the whole match.

At the very least, I really think the developers should take this into consideration as they design future tomes, but even though it's a little late to be making edits to Escalation Level III it would also be really nice if they could tweak Dwight the Brave to give us a break on it.

Comments

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383
    edited June 2020

It's accumulative. Spending 60 consecutive seconds would be impossible.

How do I even determine whether I'm within 10 meters of the killer?

You guess tbh. I just ran after the killer without being in a chase, that worked for me.

Secondly, I feel that this challenge is a great example of challenges that require players to go so far outside of normal gameplay it actually becomes detrimental to the match

Yep.

• Elcopollo
    Elcopollo Member Posts: 768

You only need Dwight as a character for this challenge. You don't have to use only his perks for that. That being said, equip Urban Evasion, be stealthy when killer is near and you'll do just fine. Iron Will can help you out furthermore and with perks like Diversion and Stake Out you can actually benefit from this tactic in a way. Also, having a multi-floor map helps out with this challenge as the killer could be right under/above you and it will still count.

• rha
    rha Member Posts: 417

Worst thing for me about this challenge other than there's no notification when you fulfilled the condition and can start playing the match normally and helping your team is that it's linked to a particular character. My Dwight is level 10 and I don't intend leveling him further. So I've got only three perk slots and Dwight's own perks are also my best ones ... except they don't really help with this challenge so Dwight is a really poor character choice for this.

If I could just pick any character, it would be so much more bearable: I could choose my build freely and e.g. follow chases and try to flashlight save or sabo the hook so I'm not completely useless. Except I don't have flashlights/saboteur on Dwight. I could use an offering for The Game which would be the easiest map to get this on, except that I don't have such a map offering on Dwight. I can't even pull keys out of chests to make up for me being useless all game because no Plunderer's.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

Some quick tips that might help:

-Terror Radius Music becomes more intense when within about 12m of the killer. If it's becoming brash and spooky, but hasn't transitioned over to chase, you're likely close enough to count.

-Stake Out (and Diversion to a lesser degree) is really great for roughly tracking your progress. It gives you 15-second intervals that can help you more accurately guess when you've been near the killer long enough. Works even better on killers with smaller terror radii (but not at all against undetectable killers, who usually suck to do this challenge against anyway).

-Other perks/items that help you roughly track the killer (maybe excluding Object of Obsession) or stay stealthy will help.

-Do everything you can figure out where the killer is and avoid being caught first. If you get chased, be a jerk and try to unload them on some other sap so that you can progress the challenge.

-If the killer is chasing someone else, follow them. It's usually pretty easy to hide right near the killer when they are picking up, transporting, and hooking a survivor. That adds up to a lot of time towards Dwight the Brave, plus you can get the save for free altruism.

-As has been pointed out, The Game is an easy map to do this on. Of course, any of the other stealth-friendly maps (like Swamp, Yamaoka Estate, and Dead Dawg Saloon) are also pretty easy. I managed it on MacMillan (Suffocation Pit). You can try your luck with offerings that increase the fog too. They aren't much, but every little bit helps right?

The hardest part of Dwight the Brave is probably just that you need Dwight. I got lucky that he was one of my more preferred survivors and so actually had some useful perks for this (whereas Kate mostly had zilch for her challenges).

And then just wait til you try to do the killer challenge for getting two gen-grabs in one match...

• WRussoW
    WRussoW Member Posts: 715

Yeah, this challenge sucks, it's more about your teammates and a killer than you. You just need to be near while your good team loops a bad killer. And you need to level up Dwight to get good stealth perks, I don't main him, so it hurt my soul to waste bloodpoints on him.

Anyways, I can see these "got this ez challenge with 1 attempt by accident, lol, gitgud" coming.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,165

Game map helped me complete this. I just worked on gen on opposite floor from people being chased. Do think it's a bad challenge, and I heard it repeats on level 4 of the tome with the additional step to escape after.

I'm hoping that when Nea has her rift they don't do similar challenges using Urban Evasion.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

Did it on around my 6th attempt.

Haddonfield against Myers.

The challenge is even more ridiculous if you're against certain killers.

Legion hits one person, and then everyone else's position is given away.

Wraith is invisible most of the match.

Doctor simply unleashes a static blast and it's curtains.

What a stupidly thought through challenge. Crap.

• Archosaurus
    Archosaurus Member Posts: 86

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! There are some good suggestions here that I'll try. Unfortunately, as some of you also mentioned having an issue with, my Dwight does not have any good perks for a stealth build, so most of the perk-based strategies mentioned are not viable for me. Even worse, my Dwight is already Prestige 3, Level 50 and I just didn't happen to acquire any stealth perks when I was leveling him up, so I reeeaaallly don't want to spend any more bloodpoints on him because I'll gain nothing from it. It appears that the best I can do is just keep playing him and hope I get The Game map, haha!

• MissKitty95
    MissKitty95 Member Posts: 786

I’ve literally followed the killer around for the past hour without them seeing me and I havnt done it :/ how I have no clue

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

It's not a fun archive to do. It costs survivors their games, because 1 guy isn't doing anything else but the archive.

Devs intended this, i suspect cuz they don't care about ranks at all.

• Archosaurus
    Archosaurus Member Posts: 86

Well I finally beat this challenge over my weekend. It was on Dead Dawg Saloon which was one of the recommended maps for completing this challenge. It was of course entirely at the expense of my team. I don't know why the developers dropped the ball on this.

• CakeDuty
    CakeDuty Member Posts: 995

Got it in 2 tries, but only because I read on the forum that you could play on The Game, equip Bond and follow the teammate getting chased on the other floor. I had no idea how to know if I had gotten the challenge, so I spent like 75% of the match just following a teammate and killer, basically sabotaging our chances of escaping. Teammates were angry at me in end game chat. :/

I hope the devs never make challenges like these again where you have to avoid playing the game normally to get it. If it was during multiple trials, it'd probably a bit better, but in one trial, with no in game indicator of when you've completed it (and when you are within range), it's just a painful and bad thought up challenge. If it was to fit Dwight better they should've made it "Hide in a locker while the killer is within 10m range 1 time" or something. Has nice synergy with perks like Head On as well.