Few Executioners Already?

Options
blue4zion
blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
edited June 2020 in General Discussions

I was playing when it first came out and as usual, nothing but the new killer. After sleeping for a few hours, I got back on to 1 Pyramid Head in 11 matches. Really already? Usually there is still an abundance of the new killer with older mixed in on the first day. I find playing him very fun and rewarding if you can land his power. It is pretty easy to dodge, but when I use it behind walls and predict it seems to almost always work.

Similar to Spirit, it's better to hide behind something when you use your power to have a better chance to catch them off guard.

Comments

• Shocktober
    Shocktober Member Posts: 678
    Options

I think he is strong enough to use IF on. If you are landing the M2's he downs people as fast as any other top tier killer. Then you slap on insidious for probably the cheesiest finisher in the game. You can be in a completely different room from a hook and still instantly nail them once they get off it into a BT/DS ignoring mori.

• SketchyPenguin
    SketchyPenguin Member Posts: 141
    Options

I got to say (On PS4) on the release day from 10 matches, only 4 were against PH/Executioner.

Also usually the lobbies were packed with players who wanted to test out the new killer, this time it seemed like the usual evenings in Europe (longer waiting times for survivors)

• Shocktober
    Options

I have been doing pretty well with him. Some of my favorite killer streamers have also been slaying with him, and are calling him overpowered. There's tons of spots at loops where it's hard to dodge the attack or the survivor is forced to vault; which is almost a guaranteed hit if you predict it.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,904
    Options

I played for about 3 hours today and only seen him twice.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

Fair enough, it's impossible to dodge while vaulting due to the animation lock. However, if I was easily able to dodge it in those long, tight hallways in the Silent Hill map, I don't see why there'd be a problem on other maps.

• Onionthing
    Onionthing Member Posts: 469
    Options

He does kinda suck atm, but Im still going to main him for one reason.. OH GOD is he so much easier on my ears, quietest killer <3

• Iudex_Nemesis
    Iudex_Nemesis Member Posts: 326
    Options

Seems to me if a killer has a power that is 'complicated' or difficult to master then you are not going to see many players using them. The newer killers like Oni, Demo, Deathslinger I rarely ever see.

• OhMyWords
    OhMyWords Member Posts: 230
    Options

Oni is a lite Hillbilly with noob friendly controls. There is no reason to pick demogorgon when freddy exists, and deathslinger is bad. None of their powers are too complicated. Difficult to master is true, but i think the real reason is people want to spend less effort for more reward.

• Shocktober
    Options

I don't see why you would need to use the power there, M1 would be better. I have only been using it at loops, or when someone is approaching a pallet or a vault in order to threaten a hit. It's pretty much impossible to loop him without becoming tormented. He could be the best tunneling character in the game. He can also snowball extremely hard, since he can be running chase-to-chase with IF but also sending people to cages at the same time instead of having to slug.

Similar to how nurse and huntress have low winrates statistically but good players still dominate with them; I feel like a really good PH will be on par with any of the top tier killers.

• bingbongboi90
    bingbongboi90 Member Posts: 576
    Options

Pyramid head is Just a version of demo.

Instead of jumping towards the survivor he uses a range attack. Both Powers shine in faking the power or using the power on Windows and vaults.

The reason why i think demo is a bit better is because he has map control because of the portal.

Ph cages CAN apply Map pressure or it can backfire and the survivors get a free escape so no map pressure.

• Orion
    Options

You're missing the point. I was able to dodge it in a hallway which has the same width as an arbitrary loop. So, sure, you could hit a survivor while they're locked in an animation, just like every other killer. On the other hand, if they're running, you won't be able to hit them at all. At least the Trapper's power, for example, can get people who're running.

• Shocktober
    Options

I'd say trying to hit people with it in the wide open is significantly harder than trying to get them at a loop. And if they are not at a loop you don't really need to use it anyways. It will always be safer and faster to hit them with an M1. At most loops there are tight corridors or hallways that can make it almost impossible to avoid. Predicting a survivors location behind a wall also makes it incredibly hard to avoid.

It's not like every other killer because you are doing it from range. And at the same time he is 115% instead of 110% like deathslinger / huntress.

Add-in how super cheesy he can play with his BT/DS ignoring cages (not to mention for some reason cages don't dispel torment like hooks do, so you can pretty much force torment at them with impunity) and you have one of the best killers in the game currently. It's almost impossible to avoid torment if you want to do any sort of looping instead of just holding W against him. Pretty much every rank 1 killer I have watched so far is placing him top 3 / top 5.

You saying he is bad because people can avoid point blank attacks is like saying nurse / huntress / billy are bad because you can also juke their point blank attacks.

• RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436
    Options

He's a killer you got to learn so I just feel like some people played him, didn't feel like it was for them, and went back to their comfort zone. Which is fine. I think he's good, but has a Nurse-level of skill cap.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    Options

few people "main" a new killer, it takes awhile - I bought it but did not play it yesterday, felt like playing PLague LOL

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,547
    Options

He’s a very difficult killer to play. People are realizing that and moving back to what they’re comfortable with.

I’m super curious to see how often he’s played in a month though, that’ll be a lot more telling on how popular he is after the dust settles.

• blue4zion
    Options

Playing a bit more and got a couple. However on survivor side it was becoming stupid easy to dodge, just keep an eye on him.

As killer, any survivor who is looking at me has dodged a majority of hits. Only like through walls with aura reading have I really gotten hits.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    Options

I've been dropping pallets early and wasting PHs time by dodging the wave. Often when they see a dropped pallet they think they can use the wave to hit me. I end up pissing them off until they finally break the pallet then run to another one.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

I think Pyramid Head is pretty strong, but I imagine people want to earn those bloodpoints because he's probably fairly perk dependent. And those perks aren't things like "Pop Goes The Weasel". Also PH doesn't get a stack for BBQ with his cages.

Personally, I find Nurses really good on him. Not sure what else I'll use, but I've got to unlock more perks first. Also, the new tome came out today, and I imagine people want those bloodpoints. He's got a decent tracking ability build in to him. It's not Doctor-Tier, but used right it can find survivors unaware.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328
    Options

Licensed dlc. Not everyone is willing to pay real money so that's cutting off a lot of new killers

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873
    Options

He's a beautiful counter for shack, since they can't get to the pallet or window, and if they try to spin, you can let go and M1 them.

• Chewy102
    Chewy102 Member Posts: 613
    Options

I honestly think it is the same old problem of people failing to learn how to play as something new.

In what gameplay Iv seen so far it feels like most are attempting far too many ranged hits. Out in the open, going for blind guesses, or in loops too easy to juke in. They are also still breaking every pallet they see assuming them to be too safe to leave. For most Killers leaving a pallet on the map is a bad idea. But PH is able to hit Survivors at those pallets and can use them as perfect bait. So leaving several pallets on the map is in fact a good thing.

That's just one thing I noticed. Other points Iv seen are people spending time digging trenches where they don't need to. Or being too hasty with sending people to cages instead of hooking them. That spends time a Killer can't afford and wasting Torment.

This is the same things that happens with anything new. First thing is that several people wont want to pay for DLC. Reducing the odds of seeing a new Killer to start with. The other thing is people either failing or refusing to learn how to play as the new Killer. They stick to what works for OTHER Killers and not what could work for the new Killer. They can't get out of the meta in other words. Reducing odds of seeing new Killers even more when old strats and builds don't work with the new Killer.

• blue4zion
    Options

Yes, so far Nurses with M&A has been a staple for me, that's been the most reliable way for me to get a hit apart from predictions.

• blue4zion
    Options

After watching the PTB it was easy to realize you shouldn't just be going for ranged, try for it at pallets and windows similar to huntress, but it's truly better used to fake and normal M1.

For the trenches, I'll use it in tight areas or hide it in grass. No reason to keep using right out in the open where its easy to avoid. Not to mention it will vanish quickly around various objects like hooks and generators, which I 100% understand for Lethal Traps, but this just applies Torment.

Maybe they don't want it right under an object so if they're working on it it'll apply and can't be countered with crouching. Still, no reason for it to be so freaking wide especially around gates.

• kazakun
    kazakun Member Posts: 581
    Options

There's that. I also see a lack of players in general early in the morning lol. I guess we'll see. I'm still seeing him pretty consistently on PS4. Just about every other match.

• Orion
    Options

Did you miss the part where I said I was in a tight hallway? That's not like being out in the middle of the cornfields. I was not out in the open at all.

If the cages don't dispel torment and the hooks do, that's a bug. It should work the other way around.

I'm saying he's bad because he is. The time he saves getting survivors Tormented is not worth countering hook-related perks. His ranged attack is also just bad, unless they buffed it since the PTB...

• Financial_Stability
    Financial_Stability Member Posts: 466
    Options

To the people talking about him being able to utilize IF and being able to down players as fast as the high tier killers, I'm sorry but that is not at all true. Pyri has no movement bonuses whatsoever. He can never be faster than 115%, which means he can not snowball fast enough for it to matter. The closest to that you could get on him is to run antiheal and do your best to keep everyone injured then use IF to snowball, which is still outclassed by pretty much every other killer better than him. I'd even say Demo uses IF better.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

Actually it's like that for everything BUT lethal traps.

Trapper is the only trap based Killer that can place his traps directly next to objectives.

• Avarice
    Avarice Member Posts: 65
    Options

I think people aren't playing him because his intended play style isn't fun. I don't think learning him and his skillcap have anything to do with it. Take his trail for example. You can either place the trail in a chase to try to force survivors out of loops or you could place it before hand to try to zone survivors. The problem with using it during a chase is that it provides absolutely no benefit during the chase, it actually just hinders you. The slow means you can't use it quick enough, and the fact that you must be looking forward means you can't keep line of sight on the survivor, so they can go anywhere. Then he has his box power. It means you don't have to pick up survivors and carry them to a hook, but at the cost of the survivor being sent as far away from you as possible. In my time playing as him, there was rarely a time when this worked in my benefit because I play in purple ranks and survivors know to run away from gens during a chase so that others can work on them. Then when you box them they get sent right to a gen. Finally his ranged attack is too hard to aim for the little value you get out of it. Realistically you only get use when survivors have no choice but to get hit, but even then the aiming is so weird that a lot of the time you still miss because your camera is always shifting one way or the other.

• Chewy102
    Chewy102 Member Posts: 613
    Options

I haven't found that many places to dig trenches. A few good choke points in most maps, but you shouldn't be spending time replacing them. Just dig a line if you happen to running by. Stairs leading to a gen, cross a long hallway, at a really good vault, and those likes. Most of the time you aren't going to do this apply torment though. It is force Survivors to slow down. They see a trench, and they start to crouch walk over it or take another path. Either way it is their time spent doing nothing that PH gains.

But it is a good idea to dig trenches mid loops. Say you first reach a loop and the Survivor has enough of a lead to run it 2 times. Just plop a small trail, likely at the pallet, and keep looping it. If they loop there, you apply torment and setup a cage for latter for their struggle phase to save time and avoid 2nd chance perks or instant death . If they run off, you have odds of landing a M1 before they reach another loop. Win win in my book.

Faking a trench is also decent at baiting out Dead Hard or 360s.

As for being unable to place trenches around gens, hooks, or gates. That's there because a trench lasts 90 seconds by default and it would be impossible to use those objects without telling PH you are there. It isn't direct damage. But it is information and extra time. Information in DbD is VERY strong and so is time saved. Knowing where Survivors are is often better than wounding them if that wounding doesn't result in a down/hook.

• metalklok
    metalklok Member Posts: 632
    Options

yeah he sucks

• Shocktober
    Options

The hallways on the new maps are not what I consider tight. When I say tight I am talking like doorways, the portions of jungle gyms where you can almost touch both sides running through, etc. Those are where you want to go for guaranteed power hits. Missing it is punishing and it should be.

The cages don't dispel torment so you can literally place a string of torment in front of a cage and he becomes facecamp bubba levels of able to camp. All of that combined with his strong chase ability, time saving potential, easy ability to tunnel mori, and added tracking / zoning from the torment makes him the 3rd best killer in the game in my opinion. Right behind nurse and spirit. And pretty much every rank 1 killer main I have watched play him agrees he is around that kind of level. If you can't see the potential of damaging people straight through walls and ignoring the best survivors perks in the game idk what to tell you.

• Aldofer
    Aldofer Member Posts: 458
    edited June 2020
    Options

i refunded when i saw that he was weak as #########.

Once you know you can tap ctrl to avoid being tourmented, his range attack is the weakest in the game and the cage can be counter once you know how to press maj + w to the other end of the map.

Overall once you adapt it's gg ez he can't beat you, even if that statment will displease some survivor that can't adapt.

• Orion
    Options

Arguably that extreme restriction makes his ranged attack fairly pointless, but OK, I concede that there are tighter hallways than the ones on Silent Hill.

I thought you meant that being sent to a cage is what didn't dispel Torment. Torment is the status effect, you're talking about the Rites of Judgement/trenches. If an Executioner wastes time traversing the entire map just to tunnel, that's on him. Rush those gens and make him regret it.

• Facture
    Facture Member Posts: 284
    Options
  • Facture
    Facture Member Posts: 284
    Options
  • Shocktober
    Options

CoconutRTS; huntress main who is like top 10 on the DBD leaderboards for sacrifices.

Dreede; a pretty toxic killer main who even says the pyramid head tunnel is the cheesiest way to kill someone in the game.

Byran_S; survivor main with like 6,000+ hours who usually plays with DBD tournament teams (who from the chat also think he is OP)

Pro_Vengeance; another top 10 killer main with like 6,000+ hours

Some random red rank streamers I killed with him yesterday; etc. Haven't watched anyone else.

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503
    Options

It's because he's difficult. Quite difficult. I won't hesitate to say I struggle to hit Punishments more than I struggle to hit Deathslinger shots, Demo shreds, Pig dashes, Nurse blinks, or even Huntress hatchets. And that's when I have line of sight on my enemy; adding another layer of prediction through walls literally destroys my brain. And THAT'S just the first part of his power; resourcing your trails well and knowing when to cage is even more stuff to learn.

And because he's actually difficult to learn to play, people would rather just call him bad than actually put in the effort towards playing a fully capable Killer when he gets completely overshadowed by Killers like Billy and Spirit who are so much better and so much easier.

• 0mikeya0
    0mikeya0 Member Posts: 220
    Options

I play on xbox and not everyone knows how to play him yet and I haven't faced him that much either, but a PH has yet to kill/sacrifice me.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826
    Options

His range attack is literally garbage. I'm avoiding it at all costs.

It's high risk, high punishment meh reward.

• 1anioh
    1anioh Member Posts: 62
    Options

I switched back over to doc to farm bloodpoints so I could level PH. I was getting about 12-15k after each match on PH, whereas I can get 60-70k with the doctor.

I figured once I get ol' triangle heads perks up to atleast 2nd tier each I'll start playing him again.

I am also not the great with aiming so its nice to run a few matches where I actually kill someone too.

• Flatskull
    Flatskull Member Posts: 332
    Options

Id play other killers but the new wave is an arms race. If I dont practice the new killer skills before the swf and comms players suss out the meta against him I can look foeward to not just being thrashed but bullied and teased when I casully pick him up later due to rank MM.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,100
    Options

PH likely has the worst bloodpoint gain out of all the killers, because building up his deviousness is hard since you need to hit survivors with your range attack and cage them. Both of which are good in specific situations and in most cases you are better of just M1ing and hooking.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited June 2020
    Options

Agreed. It takes too long to travel

It doesn't go very far. I tried a green and yellow range add on and the distance is nice but it still takes too long for the wave to get to them.

It can easily be dodged since you can see the red rectangle on the ground.

You hear him stick the sword in the ground so you know the attack is coming.

It doesn't inflict torment. I don't see why it can't.

Takes a long time to recover.

Can't one shot anyone like a chainsaw or Oni Charge.

The only good thing about it is it's mind game potential. If someone is running to a window I can toss the wave or I can pretend I will to get them to move then go in for a melee. I've been seeing a lot of PHs try to use the range attack instead of breaking a pallet. That wastes so much time if you don't get a lucky hit. It's better to use this power when 2 people are together, a narrow hallway, or to avoid losing stacks of obsession perks.