Can we fix killer lunging?

As a Survivor player mostly and a Killer casually i find it super stupid that the killer is allowed to turn when lunging. Even when playing killer I can see how nasty the mechanic is. Times when the killer should have completely missed is thrown out the window because of the killers ability to turn when lunging. I mean, its an upper hand that shouldn't be a thing for this game as it makes the killer overpowered. How can i try and dodge when their hit cone is large and they have a turning mechanic that makes it so their is no escape without them completely and totally messing up. Why not make the killers lunge a one direction thing (i can swear it was like this before) as it would make killers have to be completely sure about their hits before swinging. The only way it can "Hurt" gameplay is making killers have to relearn hitting which if im being honest wouldn't be very difficult. If not doing this at least refine the existing to where the hit only registers on the peak of the hit instead of the whole arc of the swing being the hit. In the end i think there are very many things that needs to be fixed in this amazing game, and i think we should start by fixing the absurd hitting abilities the killer possesses.

Comments

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426

As someone who plays this game on both sides, recently survivor more than killer, this would break the game completely. A good survivor can dodge a killer attack even if they turn. The chase, especially when in dire situations, is what separates the good survivors from your average survivors.

• SuspiciousSpoon
    SuspiciousSpoon Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2020

I agree, but when it comes to good killers it becomes impossible to dodge. especially with the lack of pallets and unreliable windows.

• Hermid2012
    Hermid2012 Member Posts: 5

I believe that being able to turn while lunging is an integral part of any killer's kit. Being forced into some sort of charge, similar to demo's shred attack or maybe billy's chainsaw, would simply be unfair for killers. Many higher rank survivors use erratic movement or even spinning, known commonly as 360s, to dodge hits. Caught out in the open against a billy or demo, only using their chainsaw/shred, is quite easy to waste time with simple sharp turns.

Now I do agree there needs to be some changes to the lunge, but BHVR seems to already be looking into this. They briefly mentioned a "Hit Checker" type of reviewing system as part of the game's code. This code would determine if the survivor was actually hit, or if the hit makes no sense at all due to latency. Depending on how this is implemented, it could fix the dedicated hits we all know and hate (or love! I won't judge).

• Awkward_Fiend
    Awkward_Fiend Member Posts: 687

Making this change would stunt mindgames and make loops even stronger. Loops where a well timed lunge can barely squeeze a hit would now become loops where you have to kick the pallet, suddenly maps like Cowshed become much, much, stronger for survivors. Removing the ability to turn would basically make lunges a weaker version of Demo's shred, which is already not useful for getting close range hits.