Nobody wants to play as a killer

Options

Comments

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,694
    Options

I agree that there is certainly something to be said about getting better when you play against people better than you. Having said that, playing games is how I unwind at the end of a long day, and while playing a 4v1 game can be challenging, it shouldn't be stressful. This is one of the reasons why queue times are so long for survivors, it's because more people would prefer to play survivor than killer. The matchmaking is so skewed that a good swf match can walk all over any killer, especially if you're newer to the game and don't have access to killers that have better anti-loop mechanics and map pressure.

In many ways dead by daylight is pure pay to win since the best perks are attached to DLC survivors and killers. And considering just how many killers are dependent on good perks and add-ons, it can make DBD a very frustrating experience for casual players, especially since there's no way to test out Killers they've never played with before without needing to get other players online for a custom match.

• noraxbel
    noraxbel Member Posts: 3
    Options

I'm relatively new to the community and game itself. The anxiety that comes from hiding from a killer is fun and enjoyable, especially if you have friends or a good group running with you. Killer to me is more "stressful" for a better lack of word, but that's what makes it fun. It's not "oh no! I couldn't pay my bills." stressful or like (insert problematic situations). I would go as far as to say it's about the same experience as those who enjoy being scared, both natural occurrences that happen in actual life, but thrilling when applied to a non actual life moment. One of those beauty in the eye of the beholder type things.

To the original poster, it's easy to get discouraged when a trail doesn't go the way you planned, it is frustrating but like all energy in the universe, if applied in a positive way you'll learn more about the way you want to play.

With so many variables before a trail even begins, starting with the killer itself, consider the kinda player you want to be. Absorb information and try different ways.

From my own personal gameplay, my biggest fault in these two months of playing, is trying to emulate the streamers. Who make "Pop, bbq, switching obsessions with so they can play with all their food (lol) look so easy with minimal work, you can feel like you're not doing something right. Farthest from the truth though. Cycle through killers, build up blood points, take only what you really plan on using

(lesser cheaper perks may be appealing for leveling purposes, but you get more bang for your blood if you spread it out and buy things you actually want to experiment with. )

There is a lot toxicity among opinions on who has it harder, what is broken, what needs to be fixed, but at the end of it all ,if the game is more maddening then happying (whatever go judge your mother) there's already Friday the 13th ( I joke I joke I kid I kid) but at the end of it all it's no one's opinion matters more than yours.

If you want to practice their are experience players who are actually cool and private match with you and help you with your playstyle.

As for a newer player myself this is what really helps me.

1. It's a game

2. Hate mail is real, but we're not developers, unless someone is tampering with the actual mechanics, ignore and differ them to dbd team.

3. Find humor in teabagging and know if they have enough time to stand at the gate... you have enough time to get one good swing for some more points and let the their demeaning intentions roll off your back like rolaids.

4. Find your sensitivity. I had to up mine cause turning those tight corners was a challenge.

5. Don't always go for the lunge, basic attacks has a bit more reach than we sometimes. Keep calm and still your physical body ( I used to throw my whole arm when I attacked lol)

6. Enjoy

Sorry I went on so long, covid has given me a bit more free time. I hope this helps.

• thewolfcmndr
    thewolfcmndr Member Posts: 1
    Options

I really enjoy playing. The best way to combat wait times is to add to friends list and play kill with friends or survive with friends.

I am always looking to expand my group, anyone on PS4 add me:

thewolfcmndr

• choffox013
    choffox013 Member Posts: 30
    Options

I main killee and surv, for being honestly is too easy play killer on red ranks. Is more awfull play surv cause is not your work what matter, what really matters is teamwork and without that surely u gonna get a bad game, but like killer is just your skill so learn how to kill surv

• Thatgurl_again
    Thatgurl_again Member Posts: 287
    Options

On ps4

I get more red rank killers when I'm in purple ranks. So I try to stay there because then I have an equal match.

(I'm red ranks until rank reset)

• Vampirox
    Vampirox Member Posts: 411
    Options

this guy dont speak for killer mains plz, your rank 20 ass out of here

• Crewszpoo
    Crewszpoo Member Posts: 28
    Options

Those are jus basic builds i dont use any of those perks when i genrush lol

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

I'm a red rank killer and when I get tired of stressful games I camp hard. It's a lot less stressful and sometimes even good SWF teams just wants to save and they all end up slugged. Camping in red ranks is underrated. The less you need to run around the better.

• Jujubeetch
    Jujubeetch Member Posts: 10
    Options

Maybe you’re just unlucky, I’ve played killer recently on pc from rank 20 to 10 and they were pretty much all babies and I 4k’d each time. Reaching rank 10 gave me better survivors even red ranks, but I still get at least 2k so it’s a pretty even game each time. Matchmaking seems to be fair for me at least

• martin27
    martin27 Member Posts: 696
    edited June 2020
    Options

Don't mind losing as a killer, do mind when survivors feel a need to rub it in both in & out of the game.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
    Options

I have plenty of fun stomping on cocky death squads with Spirit.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    edited June 2020
    Options

I play killer alot.

Though I only play Spirit right now, to keep my sanity.

I used to play Nurse, but dedicated servers and her rework made her a giant bugfest for almost 14 months now :(

• shane32
    shane32 Member Posts: 383
    Options

Im on PS4 Rank 2 killer currently back and fourth between 1 and 2. And I only play killer. I usually can get right into a game. And I usually vs a variety of different players. It's never all red ranks or swfs . Some days it's just non stop bs teams that drive me crazy and some days it's chill potatoes.

• CyanideBlaze
    CyanideBlaze Member Posts: 143
    Options

Idk, I def feel like matchmaking is the main issue, though. I literally only play Killer to do rift tasks and it's pure misery.

All I get are red ranks, and I'm rank 16 (which took absolute hell to get to). I had two rank 1's, a rank 4 and a rank 6 in a match, and that seems to be all I get. Two red ranks at the very least every game. That just shouldn't be a thing that happens in general if matchmaking had any kind of control at all.

• Thypari
    Thypari Member Posts: 67
    edited June 2020
    Options

Playing as killer feels ######### because the whole game is a balancing nightmare. Is the game balanced towards SWFs or not? Is there an official statement? Because playing versus SWFs makes the game literally not fun to play. Lots of perks and "features" of the game don't work. It's not balanced towards it.

I think the devs should just implement voice chat and rebalance the game around it. Right now it's hit or miss playing killer. The experiences of the game differ too much. Just put a walkie talkie into the left hand of the survivors or whatever.

• TokenGolem
    TokenGolem Member Posts: 3
    Options

I completely understand OP's point of view. I'm into my first 25-30 hrs playing Killer and the amount of times I get matched vs swf where each player has thousands of hours play time is absurd. (steam friends lists tell the whole story) People will reply "Git Gud" but that's exactly the point. There is definitely a skill gap between your first hundred to couple hundred hours played and people who have been playing for thousands of hours a piece and are coordinating over discord. Maybe there should be a match making system implemented that takes these variables into account?

• Artemis_LH
    Artemis_LH Member Posts: 113
    Options

The game in PS4 is not broken. PC is superior, but PS4 isn't broken (I play on both). I'm able to get to red ranks as both roles without much of any struggle.

You can blame the PS4 all you want, but it really comes down to your personal skill and perk/ add-on selection (and no, platinum trophy on PSN doesn't mean SQUAT).

Many people also SWF, which could be the reason why some survivors in a match are red ranks, while others are not.

When I SWF, there is usually one or two red ranks with everyone else being (usually) green or lower.

Many people prefer SWF because being stuck with a random team is unbearable.

It's also better to SWF since 90% of killers tunnel and/or camp anyways.

You're free to play the blame game, but it it won't ever yield any results for you.

• luvcraft
    luvcraft Member Posts: 1,230
    edited June 2020
    Options

I'm saying that I suspect the matchmaking is bad because there are too few high-rank killers and too few low-rank survivors. It doesn't matter how good the matchmaking algorithm is if all the survivors online are R1 and all the killers online are R20; the only possible matches are R1 survivors vs an R20 killer. (Obviously the pool would probably never be that extreme, but I bet it IS pretty close to that.)

So if high-rank survivors vs low-rank killers is the only available matchmaking option, then the game needs to do something else to even the odds, like handicapping survivors on a sliding scale based on how far their rank is from the killer's rank (preferably per survivor, and in a way that could also be reversed, to give a low-rank survivor a boost against a high-rank killer).

Here's a suggestion I had for the handicap:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/100842/still-getting-mismatched#latest

Other people have also made good suggestions, like adjusting the points needed to pip / depip based on the difference between the killer's rank and the survivors' ranks. (Although I'd personally prefer a fix that makes the game more fun over a fix that consoles me for an un-fun game.)

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505
    Options

Your first mistake is using the ranks of survivors as a reason for your loss.

The truth is, survivor ranking is so nonsensically and ridiculously easy that the players you'd face at green, purple or even yellow ranks are no different than the ones you're facing at red ranks. Red's are just as potato as anyone else.

• TokenGolem
    Options

MM based on hours. Wouldn't that make the game worth logging into.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522
    edited June 2020
    Options

MM based on hours played?

Hah, no thanks. Stop equating "time spent" to "performance". That's the absolute worst, lowest-common-denominator way to think about things.

• Larz02Barz
    Larz02Barz Member Posts: 95
    Options

I'm a rank 13 killer and I go against red ranks all the time I don't find it a big deal bc sometimes you'll get the altruistic teams or the teams that hear a heartbeat and run or the swf but you'll still get 1 to 2k at least I do so quit complaining having the platinum doesn't mean anything its pretty easy to get

• SloppyKnockout
    Options

That's an awful idea. You can't punish people for playing with their friends.

• xTalon32
    xTalon32 Member Posts: 413
    Options

I agree a lot with what you say except for solo (most of the time).

I only play solo queue because I liked the challenge. But the gameplay has gotten stale and boring. It's always the same problems, whether the killer sucks, the survivor team sucks (including yourself), or you have a "toxic" killer or survivor team.

Unfortunately I stopped playing killer because of issues like these, and while I certainly wasn't the best killer I was decent. The same goes for survivor, and BHVR thinking that a MMR system is going to help alleviate this is quite short sighted.

The reality is that the game itself is fundamentally imbalanced due to the asymmetrical nature of it. Trying to balance a 1v4 is a difficult task, and the more "complexity" you add in the form of perks and counter perks, moves and counter moves, the more difficult it will be to balance it all well.

• Bovinity
    edited June 2020
    Options

"What should it be based on?"

Uh, I don't know....actual performance, maybe? Crazy thought, I know.

I can't imagine the thought process of people who actually think that the people at the top of a ranking system should be whoever logged in the most.

It sounds a lot like the MMO player mindset, where people get married to the game and want their time played to be some badge of honor or grant them some privilege, rather than trying to actually excel in their gameplay.

• Bovinity
    Options

The current emblem system is broken and everyone knows it - including the developers - so don't sit there and try using it as some proof that MMR based on performance isn't possible.

(Actually, many of the systems that killer emblems use aren't THAT bad other than the issues with certain killers powers not counting. It's the survivor systems that are the most broken, and often due to a simple limit to the objectives on the map that can be completed. But yes, kills/escapes should count more than they do, seeing as how they're the primary objective. No, they're not "just RNG".)

But yeah, go ahead and tell us that your rank should just be your total time played, and then even have enough of a lack of awareness to act smug about your brilliant idea.

• andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940
    Options

Too many people fall into play survivor, myself included due to the stress and imbalance with survivors (should I mention SWFs?)

Queue times currently force the killers to wait much longer as I predicted with the new MMR & batch matchmaking.

This will eventually be reverted back once they realise people play killer after giving up on survivor wait times... chop change chop change, good for toxcity.

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994
    Options

Because red ranks are not red ranks anymore. There are people like me, that in reality are green rank. Or if you compare it to overwatch, gold rank and some there are grandmaster, so much much better at looping. Face them in a SWF team and you have no chance.

• Larz02Barz
    Larz02Barz Member Posts: 95
    Options

Yeah theirs those to but the only way to get better is to play against better ppl and eventually you'll get them

• rickyray101
    rickyray101 Member Posts: 141
    Options

Playing killer isn't fun. When I do decide to play killer I get screwed but survivors. The best way to play as killer is to find a way to slow generator times down. Ever since they nerfed hex ruin it's been Hell for killers.

• TheOptimiser
    TheOptimiser Member Posts: 138
    Options

I seriously don't understand where the heck are you living guys who say survivor waiting times suck...

At any time during day or night for me(Eastern Europe) it doesn't take more than 1-2 minutes to find a match as a survivor(playing solo, rank 2)...

As a killer though, unless I don't play after 9 PM in the evening, I can wait up to 15-20 minutes to find a match(rank 6 as killer) only for that match to be paired against hardcore rank 1-2 survivors who bully me 90% of the time...For that I HATE AND DESPISE playing as a killer!

If I were a developer, I'd switch the entire game to a 3 kills/1 escape rate. To be very hard for survivors to escape so that it feels extremely rewarding when you manage to escape, but not to hurt their points and be able to black pip or even pip even if you die most of the times...But for a killer to feel like a killer and have power in the game!!! *Friday the 13th* * cough * . That is a game done perfectly in terms of balance where killer actually has the powerful role in the game!

• Guertena
    Guertena Member Posts: 392
    Options

Last time I played as killer I was rank 20 against 3 rank 1, seriously. While this crap happens I'm not comfortable playing as killer.

• JustCats
    JustCats Member Posts: 298
    edited June 2020
    Options

I think it's more that nobody wants to play versus red-rank survivors. It's not every group, but it's close enough that when I get to rank 5 or 6 and start seeing them I can be virtually guaranteed that the match is going to be unpleasant, win or lose, with all the various toxic and unsportsmanlike behavior that . DbD is literally the only multiplayer game I've played where I start sandbagging and playing characters I know I'm not good at the better rank I get, just so I can de-rank into more pleasant environments.

I'm not so uber good at killer that playing in the 12-8 range means I 4k every time, i definitely don't, but it's definitely not exactly fair in those matches either. People are better sports though and everybody seems to enjoy themselves more, despite the fact that I win more than I probably should.

Dunno what the solution is except for an indefinite blacklist or more robust reporting and penalty system, but I'd just as soon not play at all than get cursed out by 14 year olds whether I win or lose, which is 9/10 (probably more like 19/20) games vs full red ranks.

• SloppyKnockout
    Options
  • BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994
    Options

You have to camp / tunnel and hope they are over altruistic and ain't doing gens.

• FogLurker
    FogLurker Member Posts: 337
    Options

I enjoy playing killer more than survivor, though often times I wish the survivor objective was 6 gens instead of 5. That way it would feel a bit more chill and not just like a rushed match ping-ponging between the best decisions you can make while an invisible countdown timer is ticking down mercilessly because the 3 survivors you aren't chasing are probably holding M1.

• Dirtibunny12
    Dirtibunny12 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I love playing killer, but when I try it takes forever to get a match or I get told no network connection. After awhile I give up and play survivor.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224
    Options

I have around 1800 hours in DBD and the majority were spent as killer. I have taken two 6 month breaks since the game released. This improved my mental health. There is no doubt that the game was designed to be frustrating and you have to keep that in mind by taking breaks between matches. I honestly would play more killer if the queues were better. I am just not willing to spend a long time waiting for a match anymore. I would just rather shut down the game and play something enjoyable.

• TokenGolem
    Options

It's not just Killers though. Match making for solo Survivors is a vexing heap of poo as well. (I'm AbysmalFish) Match starts with me and another survivor spawn at a gen and we only work on it for a moment before Leatherface heads our way. I urban evade unseen while my teammate gets downed. Leatherface immediately leaves after hook because of BBQ and I get the safe unhook. My other teammate gets downed within 20 seconds of the unhook so from here on out my three teammates get insta downed/hooked due to BBQ and I play safe unhooker until Leatherface just starts slugging. I almost got my team back up but in the chaos of newly raised lowbies Leatherface found me and it was only a matter of time.

Give me three other survivors with the same amount of play time as either me or Leatherface and we would have had a fun match. Instead I get three straight off the shelf new players vs BBQ sigh <--This is literally 60%-70%ish of my matches at this rank. 2-3 other teammates who have no clue of BBQ and the Killer running the gauntlet in 5 minutes flat. Sometimes I get hatch. Rarely I get the Escape door. Lots of times I die in the end. What can you do when your team don't know they are being seen and auto die? This is the reality of the majority of my solo Survivor matches at this rank, and it's the worst game play imaginable.

Match making that is based off hours played, amount of unlocked teachable perks, general mmr rating, and swf would go a long long way. Anything but this or the OP's example.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,198
    Options

@TokenGolem Those killer perks. Its been along time they didnt play killer, not a newbie. U alone can not carry other 3 newbies for sure.

I didnt play survivor for a long time, I became rank20 (used to be purple) with most of perks. usually I out live green rank as rank 18.

• MiktheSpik
    MiktheSpik Member Posts: 75
    Options

The reason i dont like playing is cause kuller mains NONSTOP cry about anything. I wad playing high purple ranks for a week or two post patch like some half year ago. And killers were literally like 3K'ing almost every game some games were 2k and still more were 4k but it was like 75 percent kill rate and killers... They were ACTUALLY still crying about keys. Like you know why people dont play the game? Cause tis game is one of the most cry baby infested games i have ever played in my DECADES worth of online gaming experience.

• JustCats
    JustCats Member Posts: 298
    Options

Well keys are just mass DCs... if you don't want to play then don't queue up. Even with an ebony mori you gotta chase people and hook em once then down them again (as stupid and unfair as they are).

Here's how keys work for the killer - "hmm I don't see any of the survivors, maybe - oop match ended you lost." Whether killers are OP or not an item that just instantly ends the game for no good reason and gives points and the win to the person who pushed the forfeit button is essentially the worst designed game mechanic imaginable, in any game in any context.

• ShErMaDeRmA
    ShErMaDeRmA Member Posts: 338
    Options

I'm a rank 1 killer main who's played since Christmas of 2017. I kinda hate playing killer now because it's either boring or infuriating, and then survivor, HOOOOO, 20 minutes just to get either tunneled to oblivion, terrible teammates, or a rank 20 killer and a boringly easy match. I have surv at rank 3. I find the game super boring and actually dread playing it, but at the same time, it's the only one I wanna play...

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    Options
  • samj2479
    samj2479 Member Posts: 9
    Options

It's true that the game shouldn't be very stressful, but you need some stress as well to push yourself above the limit. It happens anytime when you want to get better and this situation can be seen to any other competitive game. The matchmaking currently is not very bad(in my region-East Asia) because every game I play I find them slightly challenging which should be the feeling as you go against killer/survivors similar to your level or slightly higher. There are Definitely more survivor players in game because its 4 vs 1. Also it is because SWF is the most prefered option when playing with friends and since you probably got the game recommended from your friends and will play with them, SWF is a popular choice than the killer. No matter how much they fix the matchmaking in any way Survivors will be more played, meaning there will more more experienced survivors and this will require more skills to play against them, as a killer(so playing killer will be always tougher)

It's also true that some pay-to-win factors such as exclusive dlc characters with perks are present, however skills are also really required in the game and sometimes, more than perks. I have met tons of SFW team with 4 Decisive Strike and Head On, still managed to secure 4k with trapper level 5 (recently prestiged) or with wraith level 1(had missions). I have also played Myers with full build with both red addons and 4 max level dlc exclusive perks, and sometimes haven't secure any kills because the survivors in that game played really well, with efficient looping and stealth, etc. So I would Not say it's 'Pure' pay to win game.

Shrines of Secret are also there where you can unlock many teachable perks including dlc exclusive ones, and I did get Bbq&Chilli and other such as Decisive strike before buying the respective characters, so I won't complain much (I only have 400 hours).

The Dlcs are also worth buying because their qualities are pretty good. The game company also gotta earn as well for providing these services and purchasing licenses so In my opinion It does worth spending some bucks and try out these characters/skins even you have their teachable perks.

• ZoroTheAssassin
    ZoroTheAssassin Member Posts: 1
    Options

I have been playing against constant Reds and Purples since my killer rank hit 17. Overall that doesn't fully bother me. That just means by the time I get survivors that are actually my rank...those last about 2 - 3 mins. What bothers me are the Toxic, Trolling, non-skill based, entitled Red ranks that think their gods, cause they can ######### body block. Now, most games I still clap... but it is far too stressful. Example one of these matches lasted for almost 50 minutes. They genrushed and the last 3 were in a cute lil L shape. They would go to push, rescue, run away and Heal. I started to be message that I needed to stop "dragging the game" and just let them win.... At the end, I was told I should of tunneled more...?

• mentalpopcorn
    mentalpopcorn Member Posts: 181
    Options

I was going against rank 1 survivors at rank 20. Granted, there are a lot of rank ones that are just plain awful because the ranking system isn't very good.

• feelthepain23
    feelthepain23 Member Posts: 14
    Options

You know, all they need to do, is limit swf to just 2 people. Yea, easy countered by sending party invites once in the lobby, but don't let survivors see who they are paired up with.

Lack of High rank killers is the problem, gen rushing is the problem, since they nerfed hex:ruin

Playing killer isn't fun period. It is extremely stressful, one mistake screws you, one chase that lasts too long screws you.

There is countless things the devs could do but they wont.

1. Allow survivors to only have 3 perks

2. Have a rank system on perks, which allows you to only have 1 perk from each rank so you aren't overpowered.

3. Limit swf to 2 people

4. Let the killer have 5 perks.

5. Fix the emblem ranking. Far too easy for either side to pip up, red rank survivors are absolute potatoes most of the time.

6. Ban all communications in the game to prevent toxic survivors gloating or sending toxic messages after the game (yes i am a survivor main btw)

7. Actually fix the existing bugs, every time i gen grab, i get stuck in the grab animation whilst the survivor runs off, i down a survivor and there not there , but 30 yards away because of lag so now i am forced to run deerstalker to find them. People running thru closed exit gates is a good one, real fair that.

The game is broken, and the game is dying.