De-incentivize Camping; Remove Hook Grabs

I think many can agree that stand offs are the least fun part of this game. Not even a year ago, hatch standoffs were practically every game. Why? Because the killer could grab a survivor going into hatch.

Now, killers who have poor matches give in and camp the hook, resulting in stand offs between survivors trying to force a hit for a rescue or get grabbed.

Remove the grab. Remove the stand off advantage that killers have just like the hatch grab. Remove the one hit down that all killers get at the most vulnerable point for survivors.

Comments

• immortalls96
    immortalls96 Member Posts: 4,652

Not likely..bad saves should be punishable..run bt if camping is really present in your matches

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,033

With no grabs you’ll still have bad saves, but no stand off.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

I feel like killers would need something else to compensate, otherwise people could still get the unhook whilst only taking a single hit.

• immortalls96
    immortalls96 Member Posts: 4,652

Theres no stand off really...your getting hit or grabbed

• Steel_Eyed

Like what? Most hook interruptions I imagine are two hit downs. One to temp stop the unhook. The second to down. That’s still available in my suggestion. What I am not a fan of is 1. The idea that they are looking for an instadown via a possibly bad game mechanic, and 2. They are in a standoff.

Like, who was arguing that Leatherface holding M2 in front of hook was a great mechanic in the game? This is the same kind of mechanic - for all killers.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

I'm not sure. And standoffs don't happen, because the killer is standing down one survivor whilst the rest are doing something. If a killer is in a standoff in a match with more than 2 survs, they are losing. If your suggestion is "One hit to stop the hook and another for the down" why not just keep the grab to de-incentivize bad saves?

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,687
    edited July 2020

I agree with this, if the survivor is healthy you can still down them because of the amount of time it takes to unhook, you can still guarantee trades easily, but you're not playing a game of chicken to decide whether or not you trade or just lose everything anymore.

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985

The only thing that'll happen when grabs are removed is that survivors with BT will mindlessly throw themselves at hooks, because there's nothing the killer can do to stop them.

• Saemeael
    Saemeael Member Posts: 6

I really hope this is a bait post lul.

Removing grabs on hooks isn't punishing a killer for camping in the vast amount of scenarios, it's rewarding a survivor for a dumb play. It's not hard to fake a grab anyway, playing survivor alot recently has taught me just how easy and relaxing the role is in comparison. Also, hatch standoffs existing because killers could grab survs was never broken, in fact it usually meant the killer found the hatch first but couldn't counterplay the fact he has no options other than to wait for it.

I sincerely hope you're a new brown rank player or a baiter, but since you referenced old hatch I'm going to take a guess and say you're not the former.

• Steel_Eyed
    edited July 2020

I can pull my killer credentials if y’all think I’m being too biased.

I think two health states at a hook is too much incentive for killers that the game goes bad for. But if a grab is whats important to you, then keep the grab but it works like windows.

Survivors have to be injured to get the grab animation. This waiting in front of hooks needs less advantages.

Exactly. Maybe the other players in here play killer a lot and never used this standoff.

• JustZed32
    JustZed32 Member Posts: 213

Yes, yes, why killers even have perks? Like why do they even need weapon? Just remove it, let survivors just do gens, whats wrong? Or why do survivors go on foot, like give them a motorcycle, games will be faster

(/_-)

• Steel_Eyed

Killers have perks to add four unique advantages to better suite their playstyle. They need a weapon to put survivors in the dying state and sacrifice them to the entity.

Can we talk about hook grabs now?

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,957

there shouldn't be a standoff in the first place, if killer is camping you should do gen. When you stick near the hook you remove any reason for the killer to go away.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,383

Because the one thing this game needs is more survivors unhooking in your face immediately after you hook a survivor.

• Steel_Eyed
    edited July 2020

My point is the killer ‘wants’ to stay by the hook because they get an instadown. All killers get the instadown at the hook. If all killers didn’t get an instadown, maybe they won’t ‘want’ to stay by the hook anymore since there isn’t an any increase in advantage by the hook as opposed to fifteen meters from the hook.

What the game needs less of is face camping and instadown standoffs.

• JustZed32
    JustZed32 Member Posts: 213

Dude, really, hook grabs are extremely rare to happen. I, as a killer, know that camping is kinda stoopit and, really, if killer caps, give him a chance, let him do it at least kill 1 while all other genrush. If it is a good team(even random) it is easy to distract and save...

• Steel_Eyed

First, not all survivors are playing with friends. Second, most SWFs are terrible at the game nor read the forums or watch videos like maybe you and I do to increase our situational awareness.

Third, if they’re so rare to not worry about, maybe don’t worry that that specific two health state grab is no longer possible. I don’t like camping as killer either but in my experience, two hit downs at hooks are not miracles plays.

I think what is agitating me the most about this discussion is the posters I am talking with don’t realize I’m shooting myself in the foot with this suggestion just as much as ‘yours.’