Survivors, why do you flashlight burn while a killer is breaking a pallet?

MusicNerd_TC
MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099

I have seen this tactic used in every match with a flashlight. Flashlight burning a killer in any animation lock against half decent killers is useless, since you will lose distance and the killer can listen for sounds? What benefit is there to this?

ยซ13

Comments

• DBD_Noobinoob
    DBD_Noobinoob Member Posts: 89

It doesn't even work. When I'm blinded while breaking a pallet, I just keep walking straight and end up being as near to them as before... I always feel like if it's a survivor who knows what they're doing way better than me, it's to be toxic, but I also feel like many "average" survivors don't realize it isn't very effective (like for a long time as survivor I honestly thought killers couldn't walk when they're blinded :D ), and that they should rather keep their flashlight charge for trying to blind when I'm carrying a survivor.

• ZerLukas
    ZerLukas Member Posts: 294

Last time I did that it was for a Rift challenge.

Playing with a flashlight can be fun but I prefer using medkits.

• dreamsy10
    dreamsy10 Member Posts: 142

Flashlight at pallets can help if you are more expericend than most of players and know how many tricks you can do with it. And also you gain a lot of bps for it. And the addons of the flashlight are really.... good. And not to say the flashlight blinds and also when you get blinded sometimes you dont hear them for few seconds, so imagine a surv with a flashlight and iron will, good luck finding that survivor.

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

A lot of the killers still fall for the whole -blind at the pallet and then run past them- tactic. Iโ€™ve noticed that it works a majority of the time, even without IW.

• EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

If you have Iron Will it can allow you to do some fun jukes, like running through the killer just after they break the pallet or hiding nearby, or vaulting something with Q&Q. It wonโ€™t work all the time depending on how the killer plays, but itโ€™s just a fun way to use a flashlight really.

Alternatively, challenges and/or bloodpoints. Or just practice with flashlight aiming/timing.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

Because it is fun for them. You are locked in an animation and cannot counter it so that means fun for them.

However, oh goodness if killer can do something they cannot counter oh my the game needs to be changed.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

Also potentially 4. They try to communicate they have a 'chase me' challenge.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Killer can listen for sounds?

Lol are you playing an old version of DBD? Half the time you wont hear anything in this game even with a good headset.

• MusicNerd_TC
    edited July 2020

Sounds work for me on PS4. Also, killers can still hear the grass move.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,033

I want to point out that several add ons extend the duration of the blind making it even more difficult with their houdini act.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

sound works on PC too, and I only have my in-ear headphones and the general volume down on 40 (19 ingame). can even hear survivors/heartbeat hatch over chatting with friends.

Clicky, have you gotten your hearing checked lately (this is not snark, I've seen people discover they had trouble with their hearing due to things like this)

• JasmineDragon
    JasmineDragon Member Posts: 372

the issue is most survs see people do it, and just copy it. You are SUPPOSE to flash them at the tail end of the animation, extending the time you are looping them and giving your exhaustion a few more seconds of recharge. It can be great. Doing it the second they start the animation however will just leave you stuck in a bad position and give the killer a free destruction and extra hit.

• JustZed32
    JustZed32 Member Posts: 213

With Quick n quiet it is actually possible to jump into locker during chase, why not. Also with the inner strength this would be rly nice

• Shenanigan
    Shenanigan Member Posts: 208

I don't think they're triggered. You and I both know that they're genuinely curious on why survivors do this tactic and he came to ask the survivor community themselves. He doesn't want to just assume that they're being toxic right off the bat, because there might be another reason why Survivors use the stun and blind tactic.

• MusicNerd_TC

Exactly. I'm not even annoyed by it as a killer main, as it provides a huge disadvantage to the survivor and an advantage to the killer, since the survivor loses distance. Thank you.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

No one is triggered, I know a lot of killers (myself included) prefer players who bring flashlights to those who bring medkits or good toolboxes. Half of the players donโ€™t know flahflighr timing, any good killer can avoid blinds when picking up and even fake it for a free hit.

• goatslinger
    goatslinger Member Posts: 522

If done correctly and at the correct time you will more than likely lose them. The good thing is 90 percent of survivors are complete potatoes and do it just because they can and it ends up hurting them more than helping.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,793

I don't think this is a mystery. What do survivors get out of a flashlight blind? Bloodpoints and challenge progress. You could stop right there and have your answer already but keep thinking for a second. What does blinding a killer do? Makes it so they can't see momentarily. That gives the survivor the opportunity to perform a juke of some kind. Is it the most efficient method? Generally no, but as others have said, with the right perks you can pull something off.

Also, why assume everyone knows how to be the most efficient? Maybe they don't know how long the blind is. Lack of efficiency goes both ways: I've often seen a killer get blinded at the pallet and then they just stand there completely still until the blind wears off.

The jump to the assumption that "it's obvious they just want to be toxic" that some have done in this thread is a bad attitude to have. Of course some people want to be "toxic," but most are doing it for any of the reasons listed above. But if you go out every match looking for toxicity then you're going to label some things toxic that aren't in reality.

• rglarson13
    rglarson13 Member Posts: 205
    edited July 2020

It's hard to feel bad about tunneling when the survivors start out with toxic flashlight blinds.

• Thatgurl_again
    Thatgurl_again Member Posts: 287

Well what made you make the post? Something must've happened.....just saying

• MusicNerd_TC

Nah, I've been watching multiple videos and have experienced it myself a lot. it all ends in the survivor being down in less than 10 seconds. I just want to know the mindset behind it.

• Thatgurl_again
    Thatgurl_again Member Posts: 287
    edited July 2020

Oh okay. Understandable. I just wanted to know your reasoning

Post edited by Thatgurl_again on
  • thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Because chain blinding can be effective.

• sk1d
    sk1d Member Posts: 4

It gives the survivor a chance to end a chase to give maybe a give the killer a loss of sense of direction of the survivor. But most of the time the killer will listen but maybe just maybe the survivor will gain decent distance from the killer.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

Yeah when this happens, I just follow the sound of footsteps and then down them afterwards.

It's like, 3 seconds you're wasting on flashlighting the killer when you can just gain a huge amount of distance.

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 957

I only hate it because it's done when I'm trying to pick a body up. Which you're stuck in an animation unable to do anything about it then it's too late. (Case Scenario: Flasher was out of sight line, making killer believe it's safe to pick up body)

If you as killer was allowed to turn left or right during pickups it be no problem. Hell, even when breaking a pallet, you're looking down at the pallet at your foot. But somehow the flashlight still blinds you? Let along looking at the ground picking up a body when you clearly are bent over picking them up and still get stuck blinded ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

• MaybeShesCrazy
    MaybeShesCrazy Member Posts: 337

I haven't mastered a flashlight yet - never mind tried that maneuver. That extra second of time it gives you could be helpful for those new to flashing use. hmm.

AIM

FIRE

Missed again.

RUUUUUNN

Every time I use the flashlight ... the killers are surprised to learn after the game that it wasn't me trying to grief them - that ermm no, that was me actually "trying" to use it. Yikes.

• SailedSavage
    SailedSavage Member Posts: 280

Only time it works is with Iron will / quick and quiet or I do it to bait killer into continuing chase so my team can (hopefully) get some gens done. As killer it's super easy to hear the grunts of pain or follow scratch marks after but you have to just realize it's bait and head to do gen patrol.

• BubbaMain64
    BubbaMain64 Member Posts: 546

I think most of them just want the points or don't know what they're doing. It's always something that I question too, since you basically waste all the time you just had to run away.

• BubbaMain64
    BubbaMain64 Member Posts: 546
  • BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

With Iron Will it can save your life.

• TheChosen0N3
    TheChosen0N3 Member Posts: 98

They could run past you as soon as you break the pallet

• TheChosen0N3
    TheChosen0N3 Member Posts: 98

Some survivors will run past you as you finish breaking the pallet and get more distance