BBQ is OP

Options
stikyard
stikyard Member Posts: 526

BBQ is in the minds of every survivor, every game, whether the killer has it or not.

I don't mind the perk in theory but I would suggest a change.

Instead of secretly revealing survivors for a few seconds, have it make the survivors scream, like doctor. This gives the killer locations and disrupts any action the survivors were taking. It also lets the survivors know they have to deal with BBQ. The tiers could simply increase the range of effect and, can be countered by Calm Spirit, (A underused perk, everyone wishes they had during a Doctor match.)

Nothing quite ruins immersion like the killer knowing exactly where you are.

Comments

• stikyard
    Options

You could remove all those counter plays for the ones I suggested other than lockers.

• stikyard
    Options

The possibilty that the killer has BBQ disrupts every survivor. I have to leave my gen and run closer to the killer or find a locker.

New players don't even know what's going on and, look stupid when the killer knows exactly which rock they were hiding behind.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,810
    Options

Of all the stuff to complain about you choose bbq. I would much rather complain about stridor and spirit than bbq.

• stikyard
    Options

Dead Hard is not OP, it's the only tool survivors have to counter body blocking scenarios. Since we can't get two exits from the basement, I use Dead Hard for exactly that.

DS may be OP, I'm up for suggestions to make it better, maybe only activates after a harder circumstance is met?

• ermsy
    ermsy Member Posts: 580
    Options

This applies to nearly everything.

Survivors have to keep bbq, nurses calling, spirit fury etc in mind whearas killers will have to play around DS, borrowed, dead hard etc.

That alone doesn't justify a change.

• stikyard
    Options

It kind of is though. I've tried to get some friends into this game and, they get so frustrated when they don't understand why or how the killer was able to track them down without any warning. If they screamed, they would know they've been revealed and time to move.

• stikyard
    Options

The "counterplay" to BBQ is you have to play every game around BBQ. If that's not OP, I don't know what is.

If it were a far range scream, it would still disrupt survivors and make them move, also being close to the killer would no longer be a counter play.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

How long have you been playing? With dedicated servers dead hard is used for distance most of the time, it helps people loop more, I don't think it's op but extending something or helping them get to a pallet is strong, not OP but strong.

I really don't see why someone would complain about BBQ since it has so many counters.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    Options

7: sole survivor.

• stikyard
    Options

DS, BT and, DH all do what? Give the survivor an extra chance to run away. It doesn't end the chase or hide the survivor, they don't reveal the Killer to every survivor either.

I can't count the number times I've used anyone of those perks just to be chased down and whacked again, it's not game breaking.

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416
    Options

Its not even possible to block the basement exists. This was patched since a long time already. Do you really think BBQ is stronger than DH? Oh boi. Entilted survivor main confirmed.

• stikyard
    Options

I'm baffled, if BBQ is so easily countered and doesn't disrupt the gameplay of every survivor, then why do I face it 85% of the time?

My loadout is typically... Dead Hard / Spine Chill / Lightweight / Borrowed time. If I have them.

Sometimes I try to run... Mettle of Man / Breakout / Dead Hard / Inner Strength. I usually don't get MoM to proc and I cheer for joy if Breakout actually helps!

• VonCrow
    VonCrow Member Posts: 389
    edited July 2020
    Options

I think the point is not DH being OP or not (spoiler, it is). Its the fact that as Killer you have to play around Dead Hard everytime you go for the second lunge, without knowing if there is any DH at all on his build. Same goes for DS, you have to slug and count to 60 without even knowing if he runs DS.

So basically the argument you have against BBQ applies to those perks too.

Because this game needs an insane amount of hours to max all characters so having a perk that gives more bloodpoints is nice. Honestly I would say that that's the main reason players run BBQ (the aura effect is nice but bloodpoints are yummy).

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

Because everyone loves double bloodpoints, most of the killers I use have bbq even though it's not worth it with them, like trapper, hag, pig, deathslinger.

Just because you see it often doesn't mean it's OP.

You say that you have to play around it then that makes it op, imagine a killer, if there is 1 DS there is an obsession and you have to play around 4 DS just in case.

• stikyard
    Options

WTB Survivor perk that reveals the Killer and grants me extra BPs.

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 866
    Options

No one claims it's a bad perk. You don't have to get out of your way to get extra bloodpoints like WGLF and seeing the auras is nice. The fact it's run so often doesn't necessarily mean it's overpowered though... By that logic every single meta build out there is overpowered.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

Dark Sense isn't a very good perk, so I don't think tagging BP onto it is very good either. If anything, WGLF and We'll Make It would work well as a single combined perk.

• stikyard
    Options

Reveal perks on either side breaks immersion. They should be the least useful perks. People should be able to play stealth if that's how they like to play. Stealth Killers for example, no terror warning, can crouch, block redstain, where the hell did he come from!?

• ermsy
    ermsy Member Posts: 580
    Options

You've completely missed my point. I'm saying that the killer has to keep these perks in mind when playing the game regardless of whether or not the survivor has it.

This also goes for survivor with the killer perks I've mention.

• stikyard
    Options

Perhaps not completely body blocked but, good luck getting up those stairs if the killer is there.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

Use your eyes. every single stealth killer in the game has some kind of cue when they're on you.

1. Ghostface makes rustling noises when moving and has to peek around a corner to stalk.
    2. Myers has super loud breathing and is the size of a skyscraper
    3. Pig is incapable of harming you when crouched unless she stands up or activates her ambush and is slower than you
    4. Wraith cannot hurt you in cloak and shimmers as he moves.

Considering you said Spine Chill is in your build there is ZERO reason any of them are getting the drop on you.

Also, the reason stealth isnt viable is an immersed survivor likely isnt doing a generator. The goal isn't to hide from the killer(well, not the ONLY goal). Until you walk out the exit gate, you havent won, and you CAN'T leave until you power the gens

• stikyard
    Options

Yes, exactly why I think Spine Chill is probably the best Survivor Perk.

I don't always try to hide, I try to complete gens and or help my team but, sometimes hiding is a good brief option.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

Noise notifications have always been trash perks because they tell you where the survivor WAS. The only noise-related perk that is run for the screams is Infectious Fright, and even that is only run on mobile instadowns like Oni, Billy, and Myers. Deathbound is run for the Oblivious effect, MYC is run for the instadowns(You can't even tell the scream because there's already the bubble from unhooking), Rancor is run for the free mori, and Iron Maiden is run by huntresses for an easier reload. The trade-off for the aura reveal is that it doesn't work on survivors that take 4 seconds to make the killer think they went in a different direction than they actually took.

• stikyard
    Options

Never understood the bubble effect. How many times I've been close to the killer hooking someone and can't see what the hell is going on because of the bubble.

• Pryzm
    Pryzm Member Posts: 393
    Options

Ummm...no. For one, BBQ is fine. The information given by BBQ is usually misleading. You rush to the gen they were on and they are already hidden. You kick it, move on, they move back on. You wasted roughly 30 seconds doing absolutely nothing. It can often be used in favor of the survivor. As survivor, I don't want to be interrupted in repairing, healing, opening a chest or doing a totem just to freaking scream. This hurts survivors way more! You could miss a skill check, have to start all over on a totem....imagine having Devour Hope almost destroyed and you lose it because you scream. Then he killer gets there and stops you. DUMB DUMB DUMB! No thank you! Never do this. I say this as someone who loves running Devour Hope on certain builds (works great on a no Ruin slow-down build with Thana, Sloppy and PGTW).

Seriously, think about how changes can impact this game. Think about ripple effects. I say this to killers all the time when they say they want to slow gen speeds down. You slow down gens, you finish off the solo player population and forced even more of them into joining SWF groups. You will regret it.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

BBQ is fine.

• stikyard
    Options

I appreciate all the input. I'm not a big fan of reveal perks for either side. They should be minimal and least effective perks. that's my stance and I'm sticking to it.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

BBQ is considered to be one of the single worst reveal perks in the game due to how many counters it has.

Also if you see it being run on a trapper or hag then its soley for BP as set up killers CAN'T USE THE REVEAL BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO SLOW.

PS. If you hate the killer camping/tunneling then you SHOULD LIKE BBQ.

BBQ is one of the only perks in the game that wants killers not to camp/tunnel by giving them someone else to chase who is very far away from the hook(This mainly applies to killers who can use the aura reveal of BBQ so trapper/hag are excluded).

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited July 2020
    Options

I don't know why so many survivors hate BBQ when it has so many counters. When playing as survivor id rather the killer have bbq because I can do something about that and I don't need to bring anything to do it. If the killer is using whispers, ruin+surveillance, discordance, there isn't much I can do to hide from that. People who know how to use whispers are scary. I've been accused of hacking when I use whispers to find someone. I've never been called a hacker for using bbq.