Why even bother adding the overheat to Billy?

With how few charges he uses and how fast that cooldown is, was there even a point to adding an overheat mechanic? You have to actually put in effort to make it overheat. It never happens in normal gameplay.

Is that the message you’re sending out to players? That if they cry, stamp their feet and spam the forums and social media then they can get whatever they want?

Comments

• goatslinger
    goatslinger Member Posts: 522

Update has been out for 4 hours. "it NEVER happens in normal gameplay" Cool story.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,380

Everyday objects don't overheat under normal use. It's only excessive and constant use that cause objects to overheat. It would be a problem if the chainsaw overheated under normal use.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Now you add new add ons so that your typical enduring/spirit fury will have faster charge time all game too, despite you previously putting a huge downside on the only charge time add on.

You’ve caved in on everything you thought needed to be done for balance. Which means either you were completely wrong before or the company as a whole has no backbone when it comes to standing up to vocal players. Either way it’s sad and not a good look.

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

While this is correct, please don't forget we're talking about a game where logic doesn't always apply.

• PassarinoT
    PassarinoT Member Posts: 910

I mean it certainly rids the ability to facecamp while revving. I don't think that's too bad

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060

its supposed to fix the face camp and chainsaw rev spam. What u call spam I like to call feedback, majority of players including fog whispers and streamers said the overheat was to much

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

The point was to eliminate harmless abilities from the killer (starting a rev repeatedly to taunt) and ensuring that people who don't play just for kills/efficiency will enjoy the experience less. That's what the cooldown does. It's the same deal with Nurse.

And to your second paragraph, ignoring the ad hominem logical fallacy, the cooldown existing was not what most people wanted, but due to the fact that Behavior was gung ho about a stupid idea and decided to devote resources and time without finding out if A. it would make a beneficial difference and B. if players wanted it/thought it was a good idea, the developers couldn't just scrap their work. Instead, they forced on us a compromise that effectively eliminated what they'd done (other than atrocious sound changes) by making sure the downsides only affected killers who aren't as deadly. It also educates killers who used to camp with their chainsaws revved that there's a more efficient way to camp, so hooray for that.

• Trash2
    Trash2 Member Posts: 29

The overheating is to prevent face-camping and IMO to not have infinite tries with their chainsaw. I have a few times encountered a hillbilly that I could mindgame around a loop without dropping a pallet while at the same time dodging his chainsaw. It didn't matter that I could juke him for 5-6 times, he would just rev'ed his chainsaw over and over again and if I left that loop I'm guaranteed down and if I drop the pallet I am still not guaranteed to get to another one safely. it was a lose-lose for a survivor with no drawbacks for the killer.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    edited July 2020

Aside from the facecamping, which is not my style and I've not tested, the remainder is still possible as before and as you described. If you want to play forgetting that you have an m1, you can easily do it. It's very hard to overheat. You realistically have to go out of your way.

This mechanic is quite frankly borderline useless. They can make it too punishing or too lenient but as far as what they wanted to implement, aka power management, it failed miserably.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Depends on the everyday object. Are we including game consoles running DBD?

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

rather than punishing the killer in that scenario, it would have been far better to give survivors in that situation more options.

I tend to be that kind of killer, but I mostly used to go for those chainsaws at jungle gyms, which was CRAZY because I'd rarely hit them. That was what was fun about playing Hillbilly for me. The kind of circumstance you're talking about is most commonly found at short loops (which I think are bad design imo; requires looping and punishes dropping the pallet just to gain a small amount of distance which was the original use.), and that's more of a problem with the obstacle placement than with the killer's ability.