Taking the game hostage

2»

Comments

• idektbh
    idektbh Member Posts: 129
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

In fact the developers have already put a fix into DBD: the crows eventually start circling above your head and making distinct noises to give away your location if you don't actively work on an objective for a set span of time.

Forgive me if I am not up to date on this, but last I recall, it is possible to avoid triggering crows simply by stealthily traversing the map. The crows are more just catching people who are mostly remaining idle, not people who are moving around the map to hide.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TAG

It's not an echo chamber if there is a definitive, factual answer. Not doing gens for over half an hour is reportable according to the devs.

• Nanglaur
    Nanglaur Member Posts: 124

Crows appear when you are staying still too long, or not moving enough. If you walk the entire map for example you will never get crows. So no, crows is not something for that. Some survivors who are new* I will probably understand why they think this might be the right thing to do, but its not. The right thing to do is to actually try to engage the killer with you, so the other survivors have a chance to get the gens, or at least you try to open the window for the other survivors to do something.

Leading the killer to other survivors its the worst you can do, for yourself, for your team and for the game, because now the killers know where both survivors are at the same time. And no, nobody say something about ilegal, we are saying that doing nothing for the rest of the match in order to prevent the match to end in one way or another is reportable and a bannable offense.

• Zaitsev
    Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285

Incorrect. What is described IS taking the game hostage.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,137

It is a fact that survivors not working on generators for an extended period of time counts as holding the game hostage, that's what people are saying.

As you can see, it has been officially specifically stated that it is bannable.

• Samwise444
    Samwise444 Member Posts: 195

To clarify, I meant that my statement that you were in the game was obviously unrealistic. That second statement that your quoting is not an attack on you. If you have anything else to say to me then dm me. I am not going to let your need to fight everyone, which I have read in other threads you post on to run this post and the help that the original poster is seeking. That last sentence would be an attack on you. As said above, the question has been answered. Let the OP decide what they want to do and end the discussion.

• Buttercake
    Buttercake Member Posts: 1,652

They should just put a time limit in the game. If x amount of points havent been made in x amount of time..EGC should start. If one side is not playing then the game is pointless.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TAG

it's not an opinion. It's a factually incorrect claim that can be disproven.

• TAG

The survivors can get punished to after an extended period of time, if the killer proves they were not bugged or stuck somewhere.

• TAG

I just re-posted the quote saying that Survivors can be punished for not doing gens for an extended period of time.

• TragicSolitude
    edited August 2020

The very first sentence: "The survivors can get punished to after an extended period of time, if the killer proves they were not bugged or stuck somewhere."

The title of that thread is "Was just held hostage for an hour as the survivors did nothing but hide all game."

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/92088/was-just-held-hostage-for-an-hour-as-the-survivors-did-nothing-but-hide-all-game/

I'm pretty sure this is not the only time a mod/dev has specified that yes, hiding and refusing to work on gens is a bannable offense, but this was the easiest instance to locate with forum search being broken right now.

EDIT: Here's another quote stating the same thing https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1006825/#Comment_1006825

• Chatkovski
    Chatkovski Member Posts: 309

I have already spoken about this. To summarize, currently: either the notion of hostage taking is not defined correctly and/or it is dishonest, or hostage taking simply does not exist in reality, or it is possible for any survivor to correctly argue that the hostage-taking was never his intention.

Use Whispers, and/or Iron Maiden. Hate the game, not the players.

• TAG

The definition of hostage taking would be "taking actions that prevent the game from coming to a close and leaving one or more players with no options but to either sit there indefinitely or disconnect from the game." For Killers, it would be body blocking the last Survivor for a long time when the EGC has not started. For Survivors, it would be actively refusing to do gens and hiding from the Killer for a long time."

• TAG

It is an official rule. There is no arguing against that.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2020
  • TAG

It is posted on an official forum by an official employee. It is official. There is no arguing against it.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2020
  • TAG

"Holding the game hostage" is listed as an official reportable offense in multiple places. The dev here is officially clarifying that not doing gens and hiding for long periods of time counts as holding the game hostage.

If someone gets banned for such an offense, the argument that "you didn't say that not doing gens and hiding for a super long time is not allowed" will absolutely not fly.

• Toybasher
    Toybasher Member Posts: 920

"Edit: if devs had intention of the limit they would simply add a time to initiate EGC or something similar if gens are not touched for number of minutes. See example of timers: EGC, crows."

You sound like a lawyer using legal gymnastics. And let me tell you the "If they had intention, they would have designed the game around it" opens up so much precedent it's not even funny.

I.E.

Bodyblocking survivors in the corner till they DC is fine, since the developers would have removed your collision if they didn't want you to do it.

Survivors are the one's that should decide if a killer can get tome challenges or not, since they can just DC to screw the killer over.

Dcing for hatch is a valid gameplay mechanic, why would the hatch open otherwise when the third survivor quits?

Killers hitting you with Franklin's then DCing so you lose your item isn't griefing. Otherwise they would have you get your item back when it happens. (One person was in fact banned for this)

And outside of DBD, AFAIK most vehicle manuals when you buy a car don't have any real instructions on traffic laws, therefore those laws are invalid!

I can go on, and on, but it's a stupid argument.

• TAG

Hiding is allowed according to the rules. No one doing gens for super long periods of time because of hiding is what is not allowed.

I do not have access to the list of people banned, so asking me to provide that is silly. I can't even show you evidence of people being banned for straight-up hacking.

If the Killer makes no effort to look for Survivors and just camps by a 3-gen setup, that Killer can be reported for holding the game hostage. I have seen a thread on here about someone who was complaining about being banned for that exact reason. So no, it doesn't make sense, but not for the reason you think.

• TAG

Both Killer and Survivor can be banned for holding the game hostage. If the Survivors decide they want to go hiding indefinitely instead of doing gens, leaving the Killer to spend ages searching for them and be stuck in the game, that is reportable. If the Killer decides he wants to just stay by a 3-gen and refuse to chase/down Survivors, leaving the Survivors to be unable to approach the gens and be stuck in the game, that is reportable.

I don't understand what you find confusing. I am telling you something that someone actually said they were banned for. Also, Peanits did not say that you might get banned if you wait longer than 2:35. That is just you misreading the post.

• TAG
    edited August 2020

If one side is stalling out the game and not actively contributing to bringing the game to an end, they are not doing their objective.

And you are misinterpreting what that quote means. Allow me to quote it in full:

Struggling on the hook is not taking the game hostage. It's only considered to be holding the game hostage when it's indefinite or for an extended period of time. The longest you can stay on the hook is 2 minutes (+34 seconds if you happen to have Camaraderie).

What the above quote is saying is that struggling on the hook is not taking the game hostage because you can only stay on the hook for a small amount of time (2m34s, to be exact); you cannot stay on the hook for a super long period of time. The 2m34s is Peanits saying that that is the longest amount of time you can stay on the hook before you definitely will die (assuming no one saves you), not Peanits saying that that is the longest amount of time you are allowed to hide before it is considered holding the game hostage.

• TragicSolitude

lol Peanits wasn't saying that no one is allowed to take the game hostage beyond 2 minutes 34 seconds. He was responding to someone asking why killers are allowed to take the game hostage (the thread is literally titled "Why are killers allowed to take the game hostage but survivors aren't?"), and he was saying that no one is allowed to take the game hostage on either side. https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1259979/#Comment_1259979 There's the link to the actual comment, since you seem to need context and also proof that the screenshot isn't a fake.

This discussion has been closed.