Object of Obsession is too oppressive

Slashstreetboy
Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811
edited August 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

Hi there

Since the MMR update I´ve seen an increasing number of survivor players using OoO. This Perk is the single thing I hate the most in DBD, without a doubt. It gives constant info to the survivor(s) about who/where the killer is and what the killer is doing.

Let´s be honest here, the perk propably is not run by solo survivors very often. So all the information gained by the object user is usually relayed to the rest of the team on top of that (ofc there are exceptions, like swf teams smaller than 4).

This ability is VERY strong by itself, and borderline insane on a full team. Object users force killers like trapper to play M1 Killer without a power...and by now I assume most people know how that turns out unless the Killer TREMENDOUSLY outskills all the survivors in the trial.

Despite being incredibly strong the "downside" is very miniscule. If the survivor is spying on the killer from an unsafe zone the survivor will have ample time to get to a better spot before the killer can reach then. If the survivor is spying on the killer from a safe zone, there´s nothing to fear anyways.

Undetectable does sometimes help in rare scenarios since while it won´t show the killer´s aura , the perk icon will still light up to confirm that the killer is in the direction the survivor is facing.

The only saving grace is that not every single match is against object teams, and multiple objects are even rarer (like 15-20% of my games have multiple OoO).

I wonder if there are any plans to balance this perk to a more reasonable level. As of right now it´s incredibly frustrating to deal with it since I play neither Nurse nor Spirit, the two Killers I feel can deal appropriately with Objects. And I also don´t wanna bring equalizers in the form of Ebony Moris every game ( I use them very rarely) when there´s nothing to indicate someone uses Object.

I´ve seen many suggestions on how it should be changed. Here are my suggestions. Either:

a) Make it truly a double edged sword. Keep it as it is, but the survivors aura will now be shown to the Killer when looking in their general direction as well or

b) After actively using OoO for (x) seconds, the user becomes exposed until downed. After using the perk for (y) seconds the user can now be Moried.

Can someone from the Dev team please give some insight on whether there are plans to balance OoO or whether we will just have to suck it up while playing killer?

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

I can see how you might think that, but the survivor sees 100% of the opposing team and the killer sees 25% of the opposing team. And unfortunately, with that kind of info, a survivor can basically stay on the opposite side of the map while revealing your aura, you have to REALLY commit to get an OoO survivor who's using it constantly. In solo queue it's pretty strong but I don't think it's broken or anything. In SWF with comms it's a whole 'nother story.

• Slashstreetboy

Unlike spinechill it tells you from which direction the undetectable killer is approaching though. People who have a certain amount of experience under their belt should be able to tell if the killer is coming or doing something else in most circumstances.

• Slashstreetboy

You got a point there, although I don´t exactly appreciate having another perk negating a stealthy approach.

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503

The difference is that Spine Chill doesn't necessarily tell Survivors which direction they should run. Object does.

• Shivadeathkiss
    Shivadeathkiss Member Posts: 94

Their are plenty of perks that allow the killers to see all 4 of the survivors auras under certain circumstances.

I just don't think OoO is as OP as your making it.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
  • WTBacon
    WTBacon Member Posts: 593

It's Premonition on steroids, and the aura reveal for the Killer is tilting instead of a downside.

• Slashstreetboy

While I acknowledge that your opinion differs from mine I would prefer to keep whataboutism ouf of this if possible. This is not meant in an offensive way, but I´ve seen too many discussion lead astray on this forum by it.

I stand by my point though. It´s far too strong for far too low of a cost and it is (in my opinion) completely gamebreaking when used by swf.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319

What you've seen, is an increasing number of object-abusing swf groups in your lobbies. There are the rare solo players using it, and of course new players sometimes do it without knowing it'll get them killed and there are those with achievement hunting but usually if you recognize object tunnel them out of the game if you couldn't find anybody else since chances are they're on voip telling the scrubs they're playing with where you are, what you'r doing and where your traps are if using those. In that case, camp them, don't chase any bait coming near the hook, be prepared to slug them after being unhooked to avoid ds, and slug everybody else while you count the 60 seconds off and then hook camp them again while leaving the others slugged around there. Then play normally from there if one or more others don't rage quit. That's how you deal with object besides staring into the sky facing a corner away from gens and exit gates.

• SocialDistomancy
    edited August 2020

spine chill is safer for solos to use, btw, unless you're Really good. spine chill is even good in swf because it has benefits while being chased. object is 9 times out of ten either a new player or a swf group. and if you show mercy, you're gonna have a bad time. don't worry about it possibly being a clueless new player, that's the devs' responsibility. just tell them after game why you treated them the way you did so they avoid using the perk in future matches for their own good. But assume it's swf and annihilate them in the match if you can.

• Slashstreetboy

Thanks for the advice. I´ve done that many, many times, but in the end it´s a sucky match anyway.

It´s also only as of recently that I´ve had more of those matches, but for soon to be 2 years I´ve seen it time and again, just not as frequently.

• SocialDistomancy

yeah it's miserable experiences even when you win unfortunately. And yet we still survivors defending swf to the grave, while wanting ebony mori either rendered useless or impossible to use if not removed completely. even knowing,t hat once the mmr is fixed and kilelrs hit their eventual ceiling... that they will never face potato groups ever again. it's like they Want the game to die, just so that they can blame it on killers for not wanting to play any more.

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503

Running into the Killer on accident as opposed to running away from them is a huge difference.

• Slashstreetboy

These are some valid concers, but we shall see how that will play out in the future.

By the way, I´d also defend swf as a feature. I could imagine that being able to play with friends is basically an essential feature in multiplayer pvp games.

Regarding DBD it causes several rather severe balance issues though. I hope it will get adressed in a way that is acceptable to the playerbase, Survivor Mains, Killer mains, and everything in between.

Killer main btw

• DudelPumaAce
    DudelPumaAce Member Posts: 305

its would be so noice, when OoO, have worked everytime, without TR

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,179

As Freddy Main, I know what a pain OoO can be. Once they are asleep, they see you all the time. No mindgame possible.

One problem with OoO is, that there is no Killer Obsession perks anymore which make it really risky to equip these kind of perks for Survivor. Remember Me was gutted, Dying Light benefits the Obsession but no downsides for being it. And Rancor is only dangerous in the end game.

This seems interesting

• extonjonas
    extonjonas Member Posts: 41

It is definitely sutvivor sided which is not that bad considering its a survivor perk. But its much worse than that because the survivor controls its activation which means that they only get info when the survivor wants to give it to them and they wont be able to make use of that information but the survivor will always be able to do it whenever they want. Maybe its not the strongest but its definitely the most obnoxious. Should be deleted

• SafetyOff
    SafetyOff Member Posts: 68

If you complain about OoO you better complain about how broken BBQ and Chili is. By far the most skillless and strongest perk in the game.

• RepostRiposte
    RepostRiposte Member Posts: 793

I could understand complaining about Corrupt, Pop, Infectious etc. but BBQ? Really?

People just run it for the bloodpoints; if I wanted an oppressive information perk I would bring Infectious or Nurse's.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,384

BBQ has counters that you don't need to equip specific things for ahead of time. Be within 40m of the killer when they hook, hide in a locker, or try to hide your aura behind a gen.

OoO requires a killer to either be undetectable or inflict blindness on the survivor. On top of that the Killer also has no way to know in the lobby if there's a OoO survivor so if they fail to bring anything to counter it they are out of luck.

That's also ignoring how mediocre blindness is as a status effect outside of countering OoO and how most undetectable perks are short durations and conditional activations that won't actually help you against the OoO user. And even with the killers with innate Undetectable only two really have any good shot against OoO (wraith and ghostface). Pig has to be crouched and moves much slower that way. Myers has to be in T1 so outside of a scratched mirror build on an indoor map you won't be in T1 for long. Demo only gets a short undetectable status effect after teleporting to a portal.

• mike1288mccarthy
    mike1288mccarthy Member Posts: 78

Just my personal opinion object is bad perk not in that it's not good but bad as in only people who like to mess with the killer run it, me personally I rather run spine chill it's 100x better at knowing a killer is coming without them knowing you know. Also object is so poorly made all the survivor has to do is not look at you and you lose them

• Slashstreetboy

I disagree. It´s actually rather rare that I get hit with DS. It´s more common, in my ecperience, to get object people spying on you.

Noed is really a rare perk, or maybe I just got lucky. But this was not about those perks.

Stealth Killers suffer from Objects too. The perk icon will light up, telling the Object user in which direction the Killer is. As someone said before, it´s a Premonition without CD.

• DCash
    DCash Member Posts: 170

How? When you are undetectable you still get the benefit of seeing their aura but they can no longer see yours. It literally counters objects entire purpose.

• Slashstreetboy

In some situations, you´re right. Yet the survivor still has full control of whether or not to reveal himself to the killer. Despite GF I don´t even see anyone being able to actually profit from it, and even in his case it comes with the downside of the survivor knowing GFs position.

• DCash
    DCash Member Posts: 170

The survivor does not have full control at all. Trust me. I've taken out many objects this way. They look around all confused. They try to hide themselves but they don't know when they accidentally revealed themselves because there is no visual for them. The only way they know GF position is if he has stealthed right up to you and you hear him, or he is bad and walking around in the open. You don't know his position while he is stealthed from object. I'm sorry but you sound like you don't know what you are talking about.

• Slashstreetboy

Ill give you that...against survivors that look around confused, unable to notice when the perk icon lights up to tell them where the killer is, undetectable really does help.

• Oicimau
    Oicimau Member Posts: 897
    edited August 2020

Your topic made me think of a OoOs rework or nerf.

I just hate getting OoO cause if the unfair SWF info exchange. But the counter to it is somehow complex but doable: doesnt go for him if he is a good survivor, but if by accident you get near to him, go for him. You cannot approach directly, but get while getting around the map in a chase or whatever.

By the rest, apply commom tatic. If the OoO user is unhooked near you, go for the tunnel and hit after 15 seconds (BT). Let him on floor for DS or get him to chase again wich can be faster than 60 seconds. Doesnt lose time with the OoO, and when get the chance, play harsh (or toxic as ppl use to call) and wipe his ass out of the match. He has no pity about your fun in the match, probably, if in a SWF.

But the info exchange in SWF is uncounterable. The gen are never so fast as when they get a permanent killers aura reader...

This perk is broken. Maybe has aways been. I only use it when I have a challenge or daily wich I have to call the killers attention for chasing or whatever. Never in a toxic way (as tbagging from far away) to call the killer over me.

• Thatgurl_again
    Thatgurl_again Member Posts: 287

Its the only perk I understand why people hate it. Honestly I played with bond, Ooo (didnt want to be too toxic and bring that key with that add on) I felt like Jesus. Honestly its B R O K E N

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,802

Nothing destroys Hag tbh. Good luck using OoO effectively enough to communicate where every single one of her traps are with enough accuracy that people don't still pop them by accident and give free hits. Hell, good luck having a good enough memory and sense of distance to know where her traps are yourself when she's setting them like 60 meters away, even if you watch her do it. And then what, is your team going to memorize everything you communicate and coordinate breaking everything with flashlights or by Sprint Bursting through them to not take hits? Are they going to crouch through everything and waste all of that time? The thing about teleporting is it doesn't matter where she is, so OoO is actually even less useful in that way. You can call out her location, then someone trips a trap and she's instantly a long ways away. You'll know some nice things like if she trapped a hook when you're going for the save, for example, but that's information you should already have in a SWF.

• zyrems
    zyrems Member Posts: 24

Object needs a rework to where if you run object of obsession your are exposed for the entire match. Then people would think twice about running it

• Slashstreetboy

I feel this would be just a little bit too much though.

• zyrems
    zyrems Member Posts: 24
  • notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,802

Premonition on steroids that's still somehow worse than Spine Chill, lol

• Slashstreetboy

But indefinately being exposed without further requisites would be too much in my opinion. I agree though that it needs balancing as in its current state it´s way too strong for basically no downside.

@Peanits would you be so kind to respond and provide info about what the Dev team´s take on this is?

• notameatybassriff98
    notameatybassriff98 Member Posts: 53

It might be very strong in a swf, but it really has no use in solo queue and is pretty useless. It also might be strong, but it doesn't need a rework or a nerf because of how useless it is for the majority of players, especially the playerbase that mostly plays solo queue

• Slashstreetboy

So let me see if I got this right. You mean Object being gamebreaking in swf but not so much in soloq means it is fine?

• notameatybassriff98
    notameatybassriff98 Member Posts: 53

Yes, mainly because the majority of players play solo queue and even then the cases of survivors using OoO is isolated. Also how it game breaking? In a swf they really don't need OoO as someone could just chase the killer and tell the other survivors everything that they see, or when its safe to do gens

• Slashstreetboy

Well, first Object removes the need to have a survivor doing that - hence 1 more survivor is working on gens.

Secondly your statement doesn´t really hold up. I can´t remember the exact numbers but most games include at least a 2 man premade.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

no. you don't understand. Ever since the devs decided to throw tier on Myers in the dumpster with the unnecessary, uneeded, boring as all get out, "Undetectable" ****, it is HELL to play any Tier I Myers build against an OoO user.

Everything else besides your comments on undetectable is meh. It seems like you understand the game fine, but the nuance and spirit of the design and actuality is lacking imo.

I quite enjoy OoO as a solo survivor who isn't all that great in chase (Adept Laurie was BEST adept achievement; it got my heart racing so much), and I don't mind it too much as a Hag player. The only issue with OoO is distance gain and SWF, the latter of which is NOT an issue with OoO, but with the larger problem of SWF comms.

• Shivadeathkiss
    Shivadeathkiss Member Posts: 94

Survivor perks are supposed to be survivor sided. Just like killer perks are killer sided.

• extonjonas
    extonjonas Member Posts: 41

I know that, I said as much. My point is that the downside to the perk that is supposed to balance it is not actually a downside as a survivor can avoid looki g at a killer pretty much whenever they want. I think this perk should be straight up deleted from the game out of any perk