Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

Why do Survivors like to jump off things

Ive chased many Survivors and they tend to like to jump off hill or ledges but this seems to give them no advantage what so ever. In fact 9/10 times i land right on top of them and land an attack right on their head. Can someone please explain the phenomenon.

Best Answer

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,814
    Answer ✓

1) They made a bad play

2) Balanced Landing

3) There are some windows, like at the Thompson House, that aren't horrible to vault through because the survivors' slowdown on landing is balanced out by the killer's slowdown on vaulting.

Answers

• GhostFace_Killer
    GhostFace_Killer Member Posts: 55
    edited August 2020

No i get the vaulting, that gives the survivors a big advantage of the Killer. I would agree on a bad play, but ive seen it happen again and again, Sometimes theyll even just wait for me to chase them up the hill (idr the map name) and then jump off, but it doesnt slow me down at all like having to vault does.

Edit: ahh i looked up what balanced landing does, makes sense. But apparently it doesnt work very well, maybe it works better against slower killers

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,814

Yeah, Balanced Landing will sometimes not trigger if you're trying to jump off the sides of those raised mounds, so it could be that they tried to trigger it and just messed up (or forgot they were already exhausted), or maybe they did trigger it, but they just landed too late and you were able to hit them before they ran off.

And as for vaults, I was thinking of specifically vaults out of the second story of buildings if that wasn't clear. That's not a hill or a ledge, but I was just trying to think of all of the reasons a survivor might want to jump off of something high near the killer.

Ooh, and one more thing - there's also a rift challenge that's shown up a few times in the past for falling from a great height while being chased by the killer. It's possible they were just going for that and needed to make sure they were in a chase! Usually you'd put on Balanced Landing to try this, but who knows lol, I could see it.