Stretched Res

Options
999 Member Posts: 36

Out of pure curiosity (and a little bit of boredom),

Do you consider stretched res cheating? and if so why?

Comments

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,658
    Options

Well ######### me with my monitor that isn't in perfect res with every other monitor I guess

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

The top one is my monitor I play dbd on.

And this is the res I have to play on because of it's size.

But I guess I'm a dirty cheater for not playing on the perfect 1920x1080 res and ######### myself over because I won't be able to see most of the screen.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

No, I don't. Except for when it makes impossible to be blinded. Other than that, I don't care what res you use.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

No, not really. I tried it for both killer and survivor and it gives some minor advantages but I don’t think it’s that big of a deal, personally. If you’re a good player you’ll play well on standard res, if you’re a bad player stretched res won’t help you much. It looks super ugly as well.

I imagine the devs will probably change the way it works before long because some people have been kicking up a fuss about it. I don’t use it and don’t feel like it does much so whatever, remove it so people stop bickering about it.

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870
    Options

Bad players will be bad good players will be good regardless of res. Are 4:3 monitor people cheating? Also it only let's you see more distance and not more of the killer.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,106
    Options

It is the same problem like using ultra low settings against normal or high graphic.

I recently rewatched old YouTube videos of monto, puppets and 2 others I am not sure of. 3 times normal dark graphics and the 4 view ultra bright and lowest graphics without much gras or anything.

Reminds me of the old pubg problem with hiding in gras and other people reducing the rendering distance for objects.

But yes if you have to fiddle with the config files outside of the in-game options it is borderline cheating, even if it is the devs fault to make those files accessible in the first place.

Lastly I personally don't like cheating but even so I would not use stretched res because I would get sick of the fish lense view I've seen on comparison pictures. And since I only play killer it wouldn't even help to begin with.

• Khar
    Khar Member Posts: 640
    Options

I've seen otherwise, so. Sorry. Not buyin' what you're sellin'.

• azame
    Options

Karu leave em be people will call anything cheating nowadays. Stretched res isnt cheating nor are you using your monitor. Bad players will be bad good players will be good thats all that matters.

Meanwhile you have truetalent I believe changing the sounds eith a 3rd party software to make the chase music softer. but that isnt cheating I guess.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117
    edited August 2020
    Options

Uhh... 1178x662 is a 16:9 aspect ratio. Or very, very close to it. Hardly a stretch res. As a matter of fact, I think you're getting the same sort of width, but a tiny bit less height, so you're actually seeing less than normal resolutions.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

So I'm cheating because my monitor doesn't use default 1920x1080.

Okay.

Okay.

Okay.

Sure.

It's definitely not up to BHVR to implement proper graphical scaling is it? Nah, make sure that you always play in 1920x1080 even if your monitor can't do that.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

Still a stretch and anything that stretches is cheating clearly :D

• azame
    Options

The advantage it gives is so slight even 1080 x 1080 isnt even that big except for nurse thags cheating. Provide me some videos that prove me other wise.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,106
    Options

Really? I have no idea, except maybe a bigger field of view to the sides?

I only ever saw really a difference for survivor to see over loops.

Never tried it myself, again even if I would do it I would get sick/annoyed from the stretched perspective.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

Yeah you can see survivors who try to window tech you and gain a bigger FOV in general.

• Khar
    Options

Okay, so you have a ######### monitor 🤣. Doesn't change the fact those who have 1920x1080 who use stretch res have a clear visual benefit.

• Pizzaman
    Pizzaman Member Posts: 498
    edited August 2020
    Options

It's kind of funny, how people actually think that stretched res is such a big advantage, while they completely ignore that it also comes with big disadvantages.

You gain a tiny bit more vision on a the part of rotation around the X-axis (specifically, moving your camera "up" so you can look "down"), but lose vision rotation around the Y-Axis (left and right). While in theory you should be able to see more when you move your camera up and down, you dont see more stuff if you move your camera down, because you cant see anything if you move your camera down, because of the map floor, you know? So that's not really an advantage.

ALSO. Because of stretched res, you lose vision to the left and to the right. Which is another disadvantage.

So to sum it up:

- GOOD: you gain vision when moving your camera up.

- BAD: you don't gain vision when moving your camera down.

- BAD: you lose vision to the left

- BAD: you lose vision to the right

The downsides outweigh the upsides.

3 downsides for 1 small upside. Yeah, probably the major game changer as it is displayed in this post and also discussed by streamers.

PS: stretched res just looks ugly.

• Khar
    Options

Small upside? It helps in LOOPING. y'know, looping? That thing that survivors do to not die? Yeah, that's a pretty big advantage to lose a little left and right vision when they can SEE over ######### better. 🤦

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,205
    Options

Just ask them WHY they use it. Especially content creators. It will always catch them off guard.

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060
    Options

lol no. I use stretch res on pretty much every game that allows it CS, rainbow6 etc. Fortnite locked the FOV, DBD can do the same. I shouldnt have to sacrifice a whole perk slot for some extra FOV (shadowborn) also male survivors cover so much off the screen on native.

• Katzengott
    Options

CS and RB6 are first person. Fortnite and DbD Surv is 3rd person. Now guess why Fortnite locked the FOV.

Even still this doesn't anwer my question.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Yeah, it's cheating. It's like using Nvidia filters, but ×5, because it increases your FoV to the point you can clearly see over loops instead of barely glimpsing over them. A lot of people like to use the argument of "YoU cAn SeE oVeR aNyWaY", but to that I ask: Is it cheating if the killer disables Fog?

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited August 2020
    Options

sometimes you diddle those settings to get some fps without having to make the game look like ass due tot he same lazy lack of visual options in game that they had four years ago. mainly so that you don't need to waste valuable time i match changing the resolutions cale for the poorly optimized maps like ormond and middlewich which can go from 60something to 70something % gpu usage to suddenly almost 50 fps in certain directions in halls in middle and at a few specific spots of ormond whichc ans crew your gameplay for both sides on those maps when it happens. I'm using a 2080 gpu btw, so no, it isn't my hardware also using a 2700x cpu.

• Katzengott
    Options

Why are you playing DbD on a 4:3 monitor? Would love to see a prove.

Otherwise it's the dumbest excuse i ever heard regarding on strechted res.

• Katzengott
    Options

And i said i want you to prove it. A photo with your name, the monitor and DbD.

• GHERBEARRULES
    GHERBEARRULES Member Posts: 265
    Options

I know the saying that "cheating is cheating, it could be 3% or 300%" which I mostly agree. However because this is such a controversial topic, this is a rare case I would contradict this saying. I will say that it depends on how much you stretch it. If it's to the point where you don't need to go wide in loops to see the killer from both sides where you wouldn't normally see, yes, that's cheating. But, if it's not to that point, I consider it alright.

• ShrekTheThird69
    ShrekTheThird69 Member Posts: 327
    Options

I honestly forgot it was even a thing

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

More killers talk about stretched res than the amount of players that actually use it.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    edited August 2020
    Options

So many posters who think that "stretched res" is referring to unusual monitor sizes. In this context Stretched Res is referring to stretching the vertical resolution specifically so that you can see over obstacles in loops that you're not supposed to see over. As in you're playing at a 1:1 ratio instead of roughly a 4:3 ratio. It's a significant advantage in loops because it makes it much harder for a killer to mindgame at the loop when you can see them.

Tru3ta1ent posted a video a while back with side-by-sides of it. The first two examples, for instance, are a normal 1280 x 780 resolution and a stretched 1080 x 1080 resolution. There are no monitors with "1080 x 1080" resolution and no reason to play at that ratio other than to cheat so you can see over things.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options

You can't have 70% gpu usage and not be hitting the 60 fps cap (assuming you are using vsync) Your gpu still has 30% headroom and can only be limited by a terrible cpu. Running 4:3 will not fix this problem if you are cpu bound.

I am running a 1st gen i7 860 and a gtx 1060 and sit around 80 fps.

Options

I'm used to playing stretched on other games that I play, it's just preference for me. I brought this to the forums just to see some opinions but it seems to me like a lot of people see it as a sin, but in reality I don't do it for the fov, since most games I play offer the fov sliders. Native to me looks super narrow and as i mentioned it all just comes down to preference as far as im concerned with it. And the way it looks from your post it's actually more of a disadvantage than anything, so I dont know why it's so frowned upon :/

• UseTheValve
    UseTheValve Member Posts: 350
    Options

But you know you only get HOR+ and you get VER-, right? Usually a FOV slider gives both, I always preferred VER+ that's why I used to have a 21:9 monitor but there no way to get that FOV in dbd

• Omputin
    Omputin Member Posts: 142
    Options

Definitely. Only people defending it are the ones using it.

Options

Yes I'm aware, to me it's the stretched look that I prefer. The fov isn't what really interests me. Native 1920x1080 to me looks really narrow since I'm so used to playing stretched on every other game I play. I played stretched on fortnite after the patch which also did not give any extra fov, just widened the game and models a bit. But it seems like a really touchy subject and I may just end up having to bite the bullet and play DBD on native just to avoid any controversy in case I ever decide to stream

Options

I agree with this. Personally I have no "need" to stretch my game. But on most other games I play, I play stretched purely for the look of it. Most people would say it's ugly to look at, which I get. But I'm so used to it and I prefer the wider look of things. I play most other games on 1600x1080 so it isn't much, but to me the game itself and all of the models look much much better, which is preference of course. I have yet to try it out on DBD but I have seen what it looks like, and I can agree that there are some res that do seem over the top. But stretching the game just a tad bit such as 1600x1080 doesn't seem like much of an advantage, if any at all. Ussylis uses this resolution for reference

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547
    Options

I dont consider it cheating, also tried it myself and there's a point where the camera doesn't let you go more down and stresses me how weird it looks, so I prefer native, specially now in my new monitor.

Btw you can't see more than what you can with native, killer or survivor, you end up being able to see the same because of the moment where the camera doesn't let you go more down while stretched. Playing native is more comfortable

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited August 2020
    Options

no no you're right I'm 99% of the time at steady 60fps, it's just afew specific spots, even directions faced in them, on a couple of specific maps where my fps can suddenly jump almost down to 50fps and with their shoddy vsync on it's really jarring. Trying to disable their vsync in gameusersettings.ini and even through nvidia control paneld oesn't seem to work for me, and I don't want to risk making configs read-only or messing with anything other than gameusersettings.ini nor any other settings in besides the preset options for visuals so I prefer to keep those solid 60 fps and have to tank my visuaks to the point my usage on older maps is closer to 60% and most others closer to around high 60s to 70% usage just to avoid those janky drops into the 50s on specific maps mainly middlewich and the orville.*

ormond*

k I've just got an idea for a fun and interesting new map. Pallet drops on the Orville

• CJ46
    CJ46 Member Posts: 54
    Options

No, this has been in the game for well over a year,if the devs thought it was cheating or a "bannable offense" they would of removed it by now, besides some people have 4:3 monitors so do they get a ban for having a different monitor ?

• CJ46
    CJ46 Member Posts: 54
    Options

you lose barely any left or right vision and gain a lot of height, i experimented with some extreme stretched res in a private game, you can't be mind gamed at most loops with this

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060
    Options

nah

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811
    Options

If anyone seeing these comparisons can unironically claim stretch res wasn´t cheating, they´re either blissfully ignorant about the power of vision, trolls, or trying to defend their own use of unfair advantages. This is truly disgusting.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,272
    Options

karu it isn't our fault your tv is 18 years old

spend a few or stop complaining to everyone else that you are forced to use the blatantly broken thing