Stretched Res

Comments

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

As long as it's a res with an aspect ratio found in commercial monitors, then I don't have an issue with it. A) having a monitor with a certain aspect ratio can't be cheating and using a res with that aspect ratio can't either (you could just buy a monitor like that), B) most of those resolutions don't give an unfair advantage for either killers of survivors.

I still like my 16:9 because it makes my recordings sharper. But everything I described above doesn't bother me. It's up to the devs to fix it if they don't want it in the game.

• RepostRiposte
    RepostRiposte Member Posts: 793

Wow, that is absolutely insane that it lets you get full vision of even short killers like Pig.

Anyone who refuses to acknowledge the benefits of stretched res is clearly biased/uses it themselves. The minor loss of horizontal vision doesn't matter on survivor and there's no reason to be staring straight downwards anyways. Absolutely crazy that this has been in the game for 4 years, not to mention the game was released in 2016 when this kind of thing was basically non-existent in other games.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,772

"Spend a few" in a global pandemic whilst I'm a full time student to replace equipment tgst functions just fine instead of having BHVR, the game developers, implement a function resolution scaling system to ensure that it isn't an issue for everyone instead of just for me. Okay.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,124

It is exploiting because you can see over loops you're not supposed to.

• 6yXJI0
    6yXJI0 Member Posts: 589

16:9, 4:3, 1:1

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608
    edited January 2021

You make it sound like people are saying to spend $300 on a monitor. There are a slew of 1080p ones that are under $100. Put a little money aside here and there. It can be done in two months if you're just putting in $10 a week. One month if you're doing $20.

• GoodBoyKaru

To my name, to get me through 3 months, I have £69.15 to spend on food & present for birthdays and anything else that isn't rent or bills. In the nicest possible way, I'm not going to buy a new monitor when my current ones work perfectly fine. BHVR need to implement a functional resolution scaling system. What may seem like not much to someone is a fortune to someone else. Please don't assume anything about my financial situation.

• DwightFairfield
    DwightFairfield Member Posts: 1,246

only intentionally, if a computer doesn't have a set resolution it's not the fault of the monitor owner, however when purposeful to get an advantage that's just cheating, plain and simple.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,483

I do not control your life karu, this just sounds like a place for you to vent now, don't take it personally

love you sugar drive safe

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,775

Us lowly consolers add things like this to the "is it PC only and is it unfair" pile, which contains things like:

Video card this

Sound card that

Monitor sized whatever

Resolution that over there

Fps above 25 and actually steady

Sensitivity 8000+

And I'm sure other thingys I'm forgetting. But we all play the same game, right?

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yessssssss.

• GoodBoyKaru

I'm not venting, I'm letting people know what my financial situation is which is why I can't afford to set money aside for a new monitor each week, especially considering they're trying to give me financial advice without knowing what's going on.

Also, only people I like can call me Karu. I've got a full name for a reason, if you need to refer to me as something.

• bjorksnas
    edited January 2021

what I call you is dependent on the effort of which I type it, if I shorten your name its because im lazy, and all these posts directed at you are because they are responding to your slew of comments as if each one was directed at you in the first place which they weren't

• GoodBoyKaru

Considering how you responded to my comments then yes I'm pretty sure it's directed to me.

I don't care if you're lazy. Either don't use my name, or use the full one. Basic manners

• bjorksnas

ok karu ill keep that in mind as I go back to playing minecraft to keep basic manners

• bjorksnas

its iffy,

can only be done consistently on pc

gives a decent ingame advantage

pretty close tho

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870

I can still mindgame my friend who runs 1080 x 1080 on all tiles so its cheating how?

• bjorksnas

thats a bad analogy tho so im just going to snip out the important parts

(example of analogy using same structure a baby huntress can lose with iri head so how is it op, doesn't take skill into account and removes too many other factors)

I can still mindgame someone using stretched res so how is it cheating

While it doesn't play the game for you it still offers an advantage that is more powerful the higher the skill level of the survivor and can be easily abused near the middle to end of the survivor skill spectrum, and since it is usually intentionally done on pc by changing resolution it can be considered exploiting the game if done on purpose to gain an unfair advantage

• Zayn
    Zayn Member Posts: 365

It's not or not exactly cheating, it depends on the resolution being used. Yes, there are extreme resolutions that give a competitive advantage but common resolutions like 1600x1080 doesn't give much of a noticeable advantage while providing more frames per second. It all depends.

• azame

The only reason it's not cheating is because you can see more distance not more of the killer. If the killer hugs the loop like the survivor you wont see them. That's why I was able to mindgame him. Hes a good survivor. The only thing that's cheating is actually fov cheats which let's you third person peak without going to safety corners and seeing over actual loops.

• bjorksnas

but streched res just lets you see over more loops against more killers

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

Depends. Can everyone else? Or are there mindgames vs people he only wins because of that resolution?

And yes, its cheating for sure, no matter how you justify it, and no matter what the devs do about it. Just like doping is cheating, even if you can´t proof it.

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

But you CAN see more of the Killer. It´s like having wallhacks at most tiles. You also have far more environmental awareness than someone who doesnt abuse the exploit.

And if you can mindgame your friend even when he´s using stretch res, maybe he´s not as good as you think, it would be like successfully pulling off a moonwalk mindgame at a car loop.

• azame

Have any of you guys used stretched res? Ussylis who recently went back to native after all the hate seems to be able to loop the same way. To compare stretched res to a car loop filler is absurd. Show me proof of you being able to see more of the killer if they hug the loop on 1080 x 1080, 1440 x 1089, and 1600 x 1080.

Environmental awareness is something you can gain by scouting the map before hand like a good survivor. Do the extra distance becomes nothing special. Slasherstreetboy if you think hes bad we can ways set up a 1v1 and you can handle your business.

• sulaiman

I see you avoided answering my question. Very fitting.

• Slashstreetboy
    edited January 2021

I don´t use stretch res, I don´t even know how to do it, and neither do I cheat in any other way, shape or form.

The most recent showcase, Truetalents vid in this post, should be enough to convince anyone about the tremendous advantage it provides. If you can´t see that, I really don´t know what to tell you.

Also, you denying that it isn´t beneficial to see the exact moves of the Killer at all times regardless of visual obstacles that usually would obscure them is baffling.

But whatever, if some people need this kind of unfair crutch to play, it´s up to BHVR to fix it, feel free to ride the ez mode wave till then.

Edit: Since you brought up Ussylis, here´s a quote from him:

"Unfair? Sure, that's your opinion. Might I add that I don't even use 1080x1080, which undeniably can make loops literally unmindgamable, while my stretched res 1600x1080 is only slightly stretched. I use it cause I've been used to it from the years of gaming before DBD."

Reading this inclines me to at least acknowledge that it depends on the degree to which resolution gets stretched whether it can be considered cheating or not.

Post edited by Slashstreetboy on
  • sulaiman

Well, aszame also denies that swf gives a team any advantages, so there is not much you can say.

• azame

Can people mindgame him yes they can. How is stretched res gonna help at shack when you cant see more horizontal fov which which would actually give an advantage. Even autohaven June gyms are mindgamable. The spots you can see the killer over are on native as well.

I never denied swf gives a team an advantage. Thag advantage is merely just coordination because they can speak. Nothing else. Even coordinated, a swf can be bad like most survivors.

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,179

For me it's cheating. You can see over things you are not supposed to see over (like corn, hay balls or certain loops), which gives you a clear advantage while looping.

If you have a monitor which needs this kind of resolution you should get black bars at the top and the bottom like in a movie, which blocks out the areas you would see or something similar.

End of discussion.

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,179

Yep, all those color adjustments to see better. I hate it when I even see large content creators or fog whisperers use these....

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261

Yes no doubt, that give you a huge advantage in 1vs1. Comms do the same for the 1vs4.

I've even seen streamers playing killer in stretched...like a nurse with a "4k win streak", (LUL).

• sulaiman

I dont know what you are answering to, i maybe better repeat my question: "are there mindgames he only wins because of strechted resolution?" But i did asked it in a two-question-combo, i give you that, you answered the first one.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

I enjoy watching Ussylis and I'm glad he's no longer using stretched res. When people say, "look at streamer, he or she was good before and now look at them, they're still good"... Well that's not a good argument. Barry Bonds was already the best baseball player in the world, then he started to use performance enhancing drugs and he broke all kinds of records that still stand today.

A player can be good at something without cheating and then cheat and become even better. That's the case with good players in all games/sports. Or in the case with Ussylis, he cheated by using stretched res, and now he isn't and yes he is still a good looper. Is he as good as he was before, impossible to say without full data, but given the fact that stretched res definitely helps I'd say he's probably not as strong as a looper as he was before.

• bjorksnas

Just hug the wall of the loop and you can still mindgame them

this picture is stretched res btw

and no not all killers can just hug the edge of the loop because their height gives them away with stretched res regardless

main killers this affects that usually have to chase in loops

wraith, myers, trapper, hillbilly, huntress, doctor, bubba, clown, plauge, demogorgon, oni, deathslinger, pyramid head, and maybe even the twins

making plenty more loops into open car loops regardless of what the killer does due to abusing stretched res to this extreme is a bit much

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,248

Stretched res is absolutely an advantage. There are extremely few sweatlords I know of who still play on native res. I know some people playing on 1:1. It's Shadowborn without a perk slot

• azame

Bjorks I'm willing to play a custom and show you that you can see the killer there with normal res. Was there no comparison included with that photo? On normal res you wouldnt be looking down as much to see myers because of the less fov.

• azame

No I dont think so because he used to be a console player and he won the same mindgames playing on that. It's a back and forth thing unless it's a filler pallet. If he wins the mindgame its because I didnt make it convincing enough.

• azame

If you havent used or even know he to stretch why make such an argument when you arent fully informed.

True talents video showed stretched beyond the ones people actually play. 1280 x 720 is what I think it showcases. To be fair all you can see is more distance. Even in the trapper one where you can see beyond the rock, you can run spine chill or just go to the sides and use your horizontal fov to 3rd person peak.

Yes I am denying you can see more of the killers if anything its cheating for killer since you can mess with the flashlight blind angles and see normally when fatigued. Bet you didnt know that because all you were focused on is that it makes loops unmindgameable.

So since you quite that what loops are unmindgameable with stretched? Ussylis says so but what loops are the unmindgameable ones? Jungle gyms? Surely not becuase if you hug the loop you arent seeing more of the killer.

This I can somewhat get around to but I wouldnt play on anything stretched more than 1440 x 1080.

• Slashstreetboy

I don´t need to know how to replicate it to see its effect.

Keep defending this kind of exploit, I see there´s no point arguing you on this one. Just know that it´s frowned upon for good reason, and you trying to make up excuses and downplaying it doesn´t exactly paint you in a good way tbh.

And you don´t know what "people actually play", I bet there´s tons of scummy people out there that play on 1080x1080 to make their matches as unfair and miserable for their opposition as possible.

• bjorksnas
  • azame

I guess, but you will never know just.hoe much of a "cheat" it is then lol.

Why are you ignoring everything I said. I'm defending the "exploit" for a reason. It isnt cheating. Its frowned upon becuase alot of killers cant take an L. One streamer complained stretched res made shack impossible to mindgame. That's your opinion if it doesnt paint me well. To be fair it's way more killer stretched players than survivor so what do you have to say to that?

1080 x 1080 isnt cheating. Same way you can say you bet there is a bunch of 1080 players I can say there are a bunch of native players.

• Slashstreetboy

Alright, it "technically" isn´t cheating, but it´s as close as it gets with using unfair advantages that are not bannable.

I really hope you´re right and there are a bunch of native res players, because that means they have a rudimentary understanding of fairness, something that stretch res players obviously lack.

• azame
    edited January 2021

The only advantage is more few of distances which like I said before doesnt matter when you scout the map before hand.

Also if you dont win a mindgame you are gonna use "oh its stretched res" and an excuse right? If it was an advantage any tretched player would never go down. Because by your logic it makes loops, car loops.

You have yet to provide me those unmindgameable loops.

• Slashstreetboy

If the pictures that were shown here aren´t proof enough for you, what else could I tell you? Maybe I am just a trash Killer who doesn´t know how to shrink my character model mid chase so the Survivor can´t see my every move, idk, please teach me if you can.

And yes, all but the safest tiles with solid LOS blockers are "car loops" with stretch res, there´s so much evidence here for that, and if a Survivor gets outplayed by a Killer they can literally clearly see over the wall I wouldn´t know what to tell them, either.

• azame

The one bjorks showed me litterally had no comparison and he just said he wants to play minecraft so I couldnt prove him wrong on native. That isnt good evidence. The true video the tiles it tries to prove its cheating can see the killer on native. The only difference is the extra fog.

Tell me when you are free and we can trust this is in customs. All stretch does is give more distance that you can see which doesnt help at all in a chase.

• Slashstreetboy

I'll hit you up within this week if you have time. I'm very curious as to how you wanna approach this tbh.

• azame

Oh you're down bet. I'm gonna go go multiple tiles and have you stand somewhere. The res I'm testing is 1440 x 1080. I'm going to alternate between native and that and see if I can see more of you.

• azame

All you are seeing is more of the distance which is made useless if you scouted the map before hand and know where you are going. If you cant see more of the killers why does it matter.

• azame

Can you provide me evidence that shows more of the killers body then? All the pictures provided only show more distance never more of the killers body. Dont make bold claims without evidence.

You don't actually have to modify the games files. Just make a custom res on nvidia settings, select res boom dbd in custom res. The only ones that think it is cheating are the ones who cant mindgame and just dont know enough about stretched. Once again no one has to modify any game files, nor is it mental gymnastics lol. Calling things cringe is cringe in itself. and just a bit weird.