The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why are survivors so toxic?

So pretty much every game I play as killer I get a lovely detailed message of how im bad for the game & community I just want a way to stop this as its quite annoying especially when playing on console as it takes up the screen. Maybe make it so they cant click on your username. But this is my final question why are the survivors so toxic?

Comments

• My_Farewell
    My_Farewell Member Posts: 495

Because we can. And it's fun to be toxic, either if we are the killer or the survivor :D

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

I really think that the prevalence and particular kind of toxicity is a genre problem, on some level.

It's a very adversarial asymmetrical game where each side is given "dirty" mechanics to weaponize against their opponents. Our human instinct is to, broadly, look for faults in the system rather than immediately blame our own shortcomings when something goes wrong. So it's easy to take out anger and frustration on the other side, even if they were playing the game as intended.

• Condorloco_26
    Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714

PS4? ---> Friends only messages, block all friend requests (since I've received quite a few non-friendly FR).

End of the problem

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

Seeing as how my last post got deleted I'll say it again: SURVIVORS DESERVE EVERYTHING THEY GET IN TOXICITY BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO PROBLEMS DISHING IT OUT FOR NO REASON. Especially on console. The easiest thing to do is turn off messages for this game (which is sad because they can't help themselves) and if you feel like fighting fire with fire do it. The mods might not like hearing the truth but such things hurt.

• Thuron
    Thuron Member Posts: 2

On console I've seen more survivors being toxic to other survivors. From throwing matches to Dc. People are the issue.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

Trust me, not everyone; you just come across 4 survivors per game meaning more likely to have one that's toxic.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

It's amazing how many people have disabled chat and profiles due to toxicity in this game.

This is why people have asked on PC for the links to profiles to be removed.

Deathgarden is a good example of what could be done. They dont link to anyone and simply show a name after the match. You also don't see their profile in the recently played with steam menu. It would be a great idea to do the same with DBD as it has to be one of the most toxic communities out there now.

Making it so easy to find and contact someone could be part of the overall problem.

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059

This community as a whole is toxic.

• Kabu
    Kabu Member Posts: 926

Toxicity in general has had me take a break from the game and I highly doubt that I'll play like used to if I start again

• Crazewtboy
    Crazewtboy Member Posts: 1,259

The problem extends to both sides and all boils down to the people playing. Welcome to DBD! There is a lot of people in this community on both sides who can't take a loss and feel the need to blame everyone/everything but themselves. People get mad because you damaged their over-inflated ego by beating them in an online game, so they message you and attempt to ruin your day so you can suffer as well. Best way to go about it is to disable your messages in your settings. Sad that you have to resort to that to play a game you like in peace.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    edited July 2019

That toxicity is the frosty and cherry on the cake of Dead by Daylight! I have never had so much fun before this game with the messages of so many salty sore losers. It is fine when we all write "gg" and move along but it is so much fun when a spoiled child rants at you because they could not escape in a video game. You know that all those insults can't get rid of their silly pain. Just imagine their faces twisted with anger holding back the tears.... exquisite...

Post edited by RoKrueger on
  • George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

@RoKrueger I love you so much.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371

@George_Soros I like you too. We are kindred spirits ;-)

• Remi1993
    Remi1993 Member Posts: 88

When I play as a killer and kill them all without camping, even then survivors flame me and talking bad words...

• My_Farewell
    My_Farewell Member Posts: 495

Oh i meant things like tbagging, spamming the flashlight and stuff. I don't send messages to anyone because i don't get offended easily.

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,520

This survivor seemed less than thrilled with the game's outcome:

I reported using the in game reprorting, is that the way to do it?

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,669

Yes, @shalo

• tehshadowman33
    tehshadowman33 Member Posts: 939

It's more prevalent on the survivor side, can we agree on that?

A couple of weeks ago, I played like a whole weekend of survivor, and I only encountered like one salty, trash-talking killer.

Toxic people, on survivor side at least, seem to enjoy playing together, as opposed to solos who are just happy to ruin other people's days.

Also, when a survivor is obviously a solo and obviously toxic, it's pretty rare that I see anyone on the survivor side call them out on it.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,316

No matter which side I'm playing, I always try to keep the endgame chat clean with a GG. You can be "toxic" INGAME all ya want, with teabaging or facecamping but...When the game is over, theres no reason to spit venom.

• martin27
    martin27 Member Posts: 696

Toxicity exists on both sides if you run into a toxic survivor you can bet they'd be a toxic killer as well. The reason u see it more on the survivor side is are you going to bully a person in a group or are you going to bully someone on their own.

• JoannaVO
    JoannaVO Member Posts: 750

The game is full of immature people who do not find their real life entertaining which they're well aware of and abreact their anger in a game by acting toxic. Best is to just ignore it for as much as you can rather than giving them the thought that they pissed you off. Talking about both survivors ánd killers.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

Think of it like this.

1. Survivor sends me mean uh oh messages after game because I outplay them.
    2. I smile and either play along and just talk him down or ignore him.
    3. I move on, made the dude mad cause of how I played, silly people, getting mad over a video game, you'll learn not to get upset one day, and have fun.
  • Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

Heh, when I complain about people being toxic, my wife likes to remind me "Remember, they're acting this way because this video game is all they have in life."

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181

It's an issue with both sides but since survivors are the majority, you will see it more there. As for where the toxicity comes from, every game that involves engaging with others, even club freaking penguin, has toxicity in it. Some people just get there kicks out of it.

• laKUKA
    laKUKA Member Posts: 406

Because walking is toxic!

• Mak0
    Mak0 Member Posts: 251

Its more common on console they should just remove the ability to see accounts and endgame chat entirely. It's really sad that people are mad they don't win and are going out of their way to ruin somebody else's day on console you can just adjust your privacy settings but even still a game shouldn't make you do that stuff.

• ShinobiWolf
    ShinobiWolf Member Posts: 5

Spoken like a true toxic survivor. In all seriousness, that's exactly something a toxic person would say to try to stir up trouble and upset someone they know nothing about. You're probably one of the people he's speaking of.

• ShinobiWolf
    ShinobiWolf Member Posts: 5

I completely agree, I meet FAR more toxic survivors than I do toxic killers. They both exist, of course, but it's far more common on the survivor side. I couldn't tell you why. I just block anyone who's being especially rude and report them for harassment/toxic behavior. I don't even know if reports do anything as I've never heard of anyone actually getting banned for being toxic, but it's all we can do really.

• Jyn_Mojito
    Jyn_Mojito Member Posts: 515

@DBD_Pinhead Please don't treat all survivors as toxic because that is a blanket statement with zero validity. I play BOTH sides but tend towards survivor. I have never t-bagged, never clicked my flashlight, in fact I will occasionally have fun back and forth with Killers. I ALSO make it a point to message Killers who did well and thank them for the game- get this- even when they KILL ME.

The flipside is seeing plenty of toxic Killer behavior, so when I DO play Killer, I will often give the last survivor Hatch/Escape, PROVIDED they played an honest game without being toxic.

Toxic survivors tend to be toxic Killers, too. And, unfortunately toxic IRL.

• thorsman33
    thorsman33 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2021

Well honestly, playing killer and survivor I see far more toxicity with survivors who just have to gen rush and teabag and excesively flashlight blind and the higher their ranks the more toxic they are.

Funny thing is they can body block you all day, you do it once to them and omg the world is coming to an end. Survivors are entitled, abusive, rude, and just downright dirty and don't care about balance or the other side. They just want gens done in 10 seconds and be out.

So dear survivors play the game of cat and mouse, stop being abusive and toxic and let their be peace between the two factions and lets chase and maim together as one.

And another bit of proof that survivors are toxic and self absorbed. During the 1.5x more xp right now ran into a group who all used the plus 100% more xp and you know what they did, they made sure I could not find them via swf with voice IE cheating but anyway. They did everything in their power to make sure I got no additional bonus xp. So dear survivors stop being so toxic and selfish.

Post edited by thorsman33 on
  • crowbarman
    crowbarman Member Posts: 499

I have played a lot of survivor and killer and never once had a message from a killer saying something shtty.

Survivors can hide and flashlight blind, snap a pallet on you while picking someone up, and do all sorts of stuff that's in the game and it's cool. But the moment you proxy camp because you got someone in the basement.. The insults flow.

• HuDawg
    HuDawg Member Posts: 312

Turn off messages it will help massively

• Mugombo
    Mugombo Member Posts: 509

I play on PS4 and I’ve never once had a hateful message. It’s probably the way you’re playing

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

No.

I play both Killer and Survivor and I had to turn off messaging on my console. My first afternoon playing Killer I started getting messages post-match telling me "how much I sucked" from survivors who escaped.

On survivor side I got a message filled with insults from another survivor after the game because I didn't save his ass from the hook first. It was a scenario where he and 2 team mates rushed every hook like idiots, never waiting for the Killer to get far enough away for saves and they all ended up hooked or slugged. So there I am, the only one who was doing gens, and I had to decide who to pick up/save first. Who was the most viable?

So post game I got abusive messages from a David I couldn't get to in time (and the Killer was camping him).

You're full of it.

• WheresTheGate
    WheresTheGate Member Posts: 575

As a survivor main I rarely get messages from a killer. I frequently get messages from other survivors. Survivors are a salty bunch.

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685

This. Playing survivor I've literally had 2 matches I can recall were the Killer started stuff in the lobby, and one of those was because my 3 teammates were all running Claudette with the same skin.

I'll see survivors attacking the Killer or their teammates pretty much every session though, maybe 3/10 games it will happen

• Mugombo
    Mugombo Member Posts: 509

Well you’re doing something wrong cos like I said, I’ve never had any hateful messages on PS4 and my inbox is freely open. You must be really bad at the game or something to get so many.