after all these years i still don't understand why hatch exist.

bgbomb
bgbomb Member Posts: 434
edited September 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

Before you said something like "It is create for help you not to have a 2 hours long hiding game when there is only survivor left"

it is just a excuse not a reason.

we can just start the end game timer when the third survivor died.

and the last one need to repaired all the gens left and open door in time.

"But there would be no chance for the survivor to escape!!"

well.

if all you teammate died already and you still have two gen left.

Then you should lose in the very first place.

it should not some how give you a free escape right?

just like the end game timer is not mean to give you a free kill.

Then why when it turn to survivor it suddenly some how give survivor a free escape?

it just don't make sense right?

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• bgbomb

just like accept billy been nerf to ground or ruined been ruined or a 56% add-on nerf for freddy?

why we have to accept it?

not riot up to force DEV change it?

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,484

The only problem is the mmr system (when it comes back) promotes playing to your best which was why all streamers i at least saw went slug mode to get the 4k for the best mmr. The hatch punishes you for it even existing (before it wasnt a problem since this isnt supposed to be a competitive game but now their basically throwing in overwatch sr). No more free escapes on my watch.

• bgbomb

well

i mean DBD's survivor is a team game.

if you got 4 potatoes teammate in LOL you lose.

Same to dbd.

futhermore you don't need to escape to get pip.

so even you been killed by your teammate oftenly.

with the time pass you would still rank up to match with not potatoes teammate.

killer should not been punish because your team is suck.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I don’t mind the hatch, it does as mentioned above at least prevent the scenario where the last survivor is just hiding and not doing gens and the killer can’t find them. There are really only a couple of tweaks I would make though:

• Hatch should probably score less points than escaping out the doors. It’s significantly easier to escape by hatch than by a door since it opens automatically so it probably should be worth less points to escape that way. (Maybe 2500 points instead of 5000?)
    • When there are two survivors left you sometimes run into the scenario where they are both hiding waiting for the other to die and the killer has trouble finding them which drags the game out. To avoid that there should be something like a five minute timer where, if no living player scores any points in that time, then the endgame collapse immediately starts. It would prevent that occasional 10-15 minute long occasional boring bit of hide and seek when this situation arises.
    • Keys should only allow the key user to escape by hatch, not the whole team. All the living survivors getting the sizable escape bonus from a single key use is a bit silly. (And yes, I also think Red Moris could use a tweak but that’s a different topic.)
  • Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 869

I doubt they will be changing the hatch mechanic soon as they're introducing new hatch related offerings this next patch, let alone straight up remove it.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,039

The only change needed to the Hatch (keys is a totally different topic and something already looked at by the Devs):

If the Killer gets a 3K and the last Survivor escapes through the Hatch, it counts as a 4K emblem and BP-wise. Easiest Fix ever, nobody will need to slug. Its not like the Killer lost because one Survivor found the Hatch (which isnt the case without my proposed change, but then it would matter even less to the Killer).

• Roobnus
    Roobnus Member Posts: 375

Dbd is a 4v1 but that doesn't mean it's a team game. I copied this from the steam description:

• Survive Together… Or Not - Survivors can either cooperate with the others or be selfish. Your chance of survival will vary depending on whether you work together as a team or if you go at it alone. Will you be able to outwit the Killer and escape their Killing Ground?

...but I agree with you, Killers should not be punished simply because there were a few potatoes but unfortunately, that is exactly how the game is designed. The whole ranking system is designed in a way that punishes the players if their opponent performed poorly, which is pretty ridiculous.

• lucid4444
    lucid4444 Member Posts: 682

play a game as a survivor and you'll see why hatch exists. If you don't want to - imagine your 3 teammates died and there's 3 gens left. Like you said "you lose". But what do you do? Stand still and wait to die? That's boring and stupid, and if that happened often you wouldn't bother playing survivor. Hide and seek with the killer? That's boring and stupid for them, just walking over the entire map checking lockers. Solution? Hatch. It's exciting for both players. You're not punished if a survivor finds the hatch - you still won per your definition.

• EntitledMyersMain
    EntitledMyersMain Member Posts: 832
    edited August 2020

There should be a delay after the third survivor dies. In this time, the hatch disappears for 30 seconds. It then spawns on a random tile, already open.

I also have another use for keys. Keys by default will spawn the hatch prematurely during the disappearance phase and randomize hatch location otherwise. An add on can be used to open the hatch. A key can only be used when the hatch is in play (including the 30 second disappearance) Using the key will respawn the hatch at a random tile. The hatch offerings do not affect keys.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I should note that reducing the escapee’s bonus to say 2500 from 5000 is effectively giving the killer a 2500 point swing in the endgame score screen. So if you’re determining whether or not you won or how you did relative to the escapee by score then giving the survivor only 2500 points does increase the chances the killer will outscore them.

Also another alternative possibility independent of that is to increase the score bonus of closing the hatch from 250 points to 500 or 1000 points. That would be an extra incentive to get into the hatch race for the killer since they can score a bigger bonus if they can close it. It also gives the killer extra incentive to try and find the hatch at the end of the game as kind of a mini-game bonus.

• bgbomb

I am a red rank solo survivor.

and in my experience

in the most of time the hatch is for the most potato guy who hide whole game to escape.

seeing the trollingest guy escape did not make the game funnier.

• lucid4444

What do you do when you're the last player and there's multiple gens to do?

• bgbomb
    edited August 2020

I should lose but I get a free escape by hatch or 2 too far away door most of time.

• lucid4444

Right, is that more fun than standing still or hiding?

• SoulKey
    SoulKey Member Posts: 338

Yes, i agree OP and also eboni mori is totally fine as well. Whatever guarantees you the entitled 4k.

On a more serious note, i don't give a damn about hatch; i even just run straight to the killer instead of hatch just to get done with the game. But it we are allowing BS like Eboni and keys, we might as well leave the hatch right :)

• bgbomb
    edited August 2020

for survivor of cause

if I could took 5 hooks before I died it would be more fun as survivor.

but it is not fun and not fair for killer at all.

If I cant fixed the gen when I still can I should lose.

not some how have a hatch to free escape

or even I failed on that I still can open door somehow to escape even I ######### up everything I could.

• SavouryRain
    SavouryRain Member Posts: 340

They aren't getting rid of the Hatch.

Sucks that lost out on a 4k. It's similar to when the doors spawn within eyesight of each other and the last survivor or two can't open the gate because the Killer can see both doors from one spot.

It sucks but you move on.

• WheresTheGate
    WheresTheGate Member Posts: 575

As a survivor main I would be ok with the hatch being removed under one condition. If they implement a minimum distance between gates.

Was in a match a couple of days ago where all the gens got done and not a single survivor killed. The gates were so close together the killer just guarded them. They didn't have to do anything else. If someone tried to even pull the lever on either gate the killer was on top of them almost immediately. The killer ended up with 3 kills. Would have been 4 had the last survivor not gotten out the hatch. The gates were so close together there was zero chance of getting either of them open. A level 20 killer could have guarded these gates without any challenge. That happens way too often. The survivors did everything they were supposed to do. The reward was gates that were so close together there was zero chance of escape other than the hatch. Even then only one person is going to get that unless someone uses a key.

Don't get me wrong. Even as a survivor main I also think there should be a maximum distance between gates. I have seen plenty of times the gates are so far apart a killer can't guard them both. The distance between the gates should present a challenge for both sides and shouldn't be a guaranteed victory for either. Until they fix that I'm in favor of the hatch.

I would even be open to a system where the hatch only appears in situations where the gates are within a certain distance of each other.

• OllieHellhunter
    OllieHellhunter Member Posts: 703

This would remove the most annoying parts of late game for both sides, so as someone who plays both sides often with killer a slight bit more, I'd be all for this.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

But take that same concept from the Killer perspective. The survivors stomp you into the ground and get the gates open with everyone healthy, you are absolutely obliterated.

There is zero chance of victory, zero chance of even a 1k. I can't find the hatch, close it, and then it randomly gives me a pity kill. When I lose, I lose. And the survivors can stand there teabagging at the gate as long as they want until I come slap them out, and doing so can take multiple hits, and for some reason downing them right at the edge flings them to safety, so it's basically just them taunting you.

But you reverse the scenario and survivors need a hatch so they don't feel so bad about losing. Gotta have a free victory condition even if you were destroyed in the match.

Yes, you're reliant on random teammates, but the Killer is as well. SWF with comms isn't a fear that survivors have because the Killer is always solo.

It just feels off when (part of) one side gets a pity victory condition.

• Mekochi
    Mekochi Member Posts: 942

Hatch is part of the game's lore, the Entity feeds on hope. So of hatch exists the survivors have hope of escaping. Just like the reason to attempt escape exists.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

A hatch that isn't guaranteed you will find first in a game about survival makes sense to me.

• OllieHellhunter
    OllieHellhunter Member Posts: 703

Talking about lore seems a bit off topic but is it not implied that Vigo created the hatch not the entity?

• Mekochi
    Mekochi Member Posts: 942

Why I included the lore was because the OP asked why Hatch exists, so I gave my thoughts on why it does. And even so, the hatch, as I said before it makes the survivors believe there is hope to survive after all, the Entity feeds off that hope that they think they will live. And as others have stated, it's better than playing hide & seek with the killer. As well as the fact if the doors spawn away from each other

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 571

I understand why hatch exists but I personally hate the hatch race as both sides. Feels awful as a killer when you play well and the last survivor happens across hatch and I hate running around the map as the survivor racing the killer for it so I usually just run at them if they played well or just afk in a locker if they played scummy.

If hatch didn't exist and there weren't any changes to gates being powered it'd be hopeless for the last survivor though and without end game collapse starting when there's one survivor standing you'd have a lot of salty survivors just stealthing around wasting everyone's time.

• WheresTheGate
    WheresTheGate Member Posts: 575

I understand what you are saying. That's why I suggested a minimum distance between gates and do away with the hatch. I completely agree there are times survivors get the hatch that is nothing more than a no skill, no effort bail out of horrible play. That's the problem though. In the match I described the gate placement bailed a killer out that played horribly and gave him 3 kills that took basically no skill and no effort.

I've ignored hatches in favor of a gate because I would prefer not to take the easy out. However, in a situation like the match I mentioned I will take the hatch if I find it because the gate placement made it a guaranteed death to try to open one. I would prefer an endgame system that is challenging and fair for both sides, unfortunately that isn't the system BHVR has given us.

• Chrisko
    Chrisko Member Posts: 288

BGBomb...Here is the real reason...Dead by daylight is a BUSINESS that BHVR makes money from. They only make money when there is a large number of people playing the game, buying the DLC and cosmetics. Since there are 4 survivors for every 1 killer to play the game, survivors are more important to the long term survival of the game than the 1 killer.

The hatch = hope. All 4 survivors know that regardless of the fate of the other 3 survivors, there is always the hope that the last survivor can escape through that hatch. Without that hope, the survivors would have a more negative opinion of the gameplay.

Your thoughts about what the game should be (team game, lore and other examples) that support removing the hatch may have merit BUT the reality is that the hatch is a late-game staple of the survivor experience and will ALWAYS exist in some form.

Final thought: What would the survivor gamplay experience be like if there were no hatch? How would survivor Solo Q experience be impacted? What would the Surv suicide/DC rate be with no reason to stay in the game?

• bgbomb

i agree some of your point.

but about the dc/suicide part.

it is not the reason to punish the killer

killer is not the one who make it.

it should use matchmaking system or DC punish system to make solo q experience be better .

• bgbomb

you sounds like another I want my free escape even I ######### up everything I can to me.

• bgbomb
    edited September 2020

it just a free escape and i can do literally nothing to stop it.

why after they ######### up everything they could

they still have a chance to get a free escape

and even after they ######### up this chance(hatch) they could get another chance.(door too far)

remove the hatch for the love of god.

it is not fair at all.

those "it is for helping you not have 2 hours long hiding game" are just excuse.

just let the end game timer begin when the third survivors died.

and let the last one need to fixed all gen left and open door in time to escape.

just like end game is not made for free kill.

it should not made for free escape too.

and don't cry about why you want 4K so much.

because i get ######### no pip if i don't have 4k.

Post edited by Mandy on
  • Aven_Fallen

One Thread about this topic isnt enough?

I can even re-use my comment:

"Just accept it, you only got a 3K in the game which was played before the creation of this Thread."

• LastShoe
    LastShoe Member Posts: 1,183

Sometimes doors are so close that survivor is fecked, sometimes they are too far...

But the idea of starting the end game collapse would just mean, that the killer sits on the hatch and go make himself a tea, while survivor can't do anything but wait to die.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,975

did you even check the recent threads before creating this? lol

Anyway, yes it should.

• Naughty_Lolicon
    Naughty_Lolicon Member Posts: 11

Im not even trying to explain to you why its totally okay because people like u are resistant to any logic thinking.

Its fine how it is and is 100% counterable.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

To remove the hatch they’d have to rework multiple perks, items, add ons, challenges and achievements. You can wish for it as much as you want but I really don’t think it’s going to happen, at least not any time soon. You’re better off just accepting that the hatch is a feature of the game and either stop caring about it, or play around it.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,975

Also, you chose to close hatch in that clip instead of going after the survivor across the map knowing he was right by a door. You made that play. How is this post even about the hatch which the survivor didn't use to escape XD

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,942

Am I the only person who genuinely never gets mad if the last person gets hatch it's fair and square at that point for me

• TheLastGreatStar
    TheLastGreatStar Member Posts: 1,002
    edited September 2020

So you basically want survivors to have no way of escaping other than having to have capable teammates that can get every gen fixed before dying? Sounds balanced.

The hatch works as intended. It’s a 50/50 for both the survivor and killer. Plus, if the killer knows where it is, they have all the power as the survivor can’t jump into it if they’re also stood waiting for it to open. The killer always gets priority.

Opening an exit gate after the hatch has been closed isn’t easy. Especially if you’re against a killer who can travel the map fast like Spirit or Billy. Plus, some of the gates literally spawn next to each other. So once that hatch is closed, it’s game over.

There are ways around this scenario. You can just keep slugging the third survivor left and look for the last one. That way none of them can get the hatch. For me, if a survivor manages to open an exit gate, I just think to myself “gg” as I just drew the short straw. It is what it is. You can’t expect to 4K every single time.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

No, I really don’t care either. If someone has to get out through the hatch then I won anyway. You either slug for the 4K or accept the possibility of hatch, and I don’t have the time or give enough of a crap to slug for the 4K every time so I just let the chips falls where they may. It’s not a big deal in my opinion.

• Aven_Fallen

Not at all. I usually dont care, for me, a 3K with Hatch Escape is the same as a 4K. I only slug for the 4K if I see the last Survivor while downing the 3rd Survivor or if the last Survivor was playing cocky in some way (trying to taunt me, farming his teammates, not doing anything and waiting for hatch, stuff like that).

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Hatch is a necessary evil to prevent a survivor from being placed in an unwinnable situation through no fault of their own. If you can think of a better mechanic to accomplish that, I'm sure the devs would love to hear it.

• Xayrlen
    Xayrlen Member Posts: 329

Imagine going in this game for a pip on purpose