The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Furtive Chase rework

Let's face it : as is, Furtive Chase is a dumb perk. It's not even a meme perk. It just has no purpose.

It needs to be reworked to do something useful at once, because right now I'm sure no one runs it. Why? Because there's no reason to run it in the first place.

The way Furtive Chase gains tokens is somewhat specific and not that easy to trigger, what's more it relies entirely on the Obsession being still alive which does make it more situational. It's also quite easy to kill the obsession since the perk NEEDS you to have the obsession unhooked to gain tokens. It has a pretty weird and complex requirement to gain tokens to be honest, the idea is interesting but one can only look at it and ask : "what's the point?"

Yes, what's the point?? Reducing your terror radius in chases doesn't really sound that useful at all, especially when these not-so-easy-to-get tokens only reduce it by only 4 meters each. Most of the time during a chase you are pretty a close to the survivor you're chasing, somewhere between 5-10 meters of distance. In other words even at 4 tokens most killers don't get any use out of having a terror radius of 16 meters during chases only.

I think the perk would be a LOT better if it reduced terror radius under ALL circumstances, not only chases. Then it would make sense that the requirement is difficult; because reducing your terror radius by 4 meters in all circumstances IS good. I don't think Furtive Chase would be broken but it could become quite good this way, especially paired up with Monitor & Abuse. That's assuming we keep the somewhat complicated way tokens are earned for the killer, and the fact that they are lost if the Obsession is killed.

However, there's also another option. Since the perk is, after all, named furtive CHASE, its purpose should remain focused around chases. Very well, however if it has to only affect chases then it should be significantly buffed. Assuming tokens are still earned the same way, here's what it could be instead:

1 token : your Terror Radius is reduced by 4/5/6 meters while in a chase.

2 tokens : your Terror Radius is reduced by 8/10/12 meters while in a chase.

3 tokens : you are granted the Undetectable status while in a chase.

Reducing terror radius by 12 meters with two tokens is much better than 8 obviously, however to be honest 8 meters really has zero impact on the game so I don't think it would be broken. Better, but would still be a situational advantage (since most Survivors don't rely on terror radius to locate the killer while in a chase anyway...)

However, being granted the Undetectable status at all times while in a chase is already quite better as it can prove confusing for the other Survivors. It also has the noteworthy bonus of hiding the red stain which, in a chase, can prove useful in a few situations, since the stain indicates where the killer is coming from when hidden behind a wall.

Taking into account the fact that the perk loses all effects after the Obsession dies and also that it's not that easy to quickly gain 3 tokens in a game, I think being undetectable in chases at all times is a balanced payoff that can prove useful, unlike the perk as it is now.

What do you think?

Comments

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,922

I run Furtive Chase. it's great perk, it's just ######### when I accidently kill Obsession. Stack it with M&A.

If they removed the removal when Obsession dies, but notified the survivor of what kind of obsession they are it would be better.

• RainbowSuperLoki
    RainbowSuperLoki Member Posts: 48

Problem is, I don't really see the point of stacking it with M&A. You do realize M&A and Furtive Chase work against each other, right? Furtive Chase reduces Terror Radius while in a chase. M&A increases terror radius while in a chase. They are antisynergic.

• Kees_T
    Kees_T Member Posts: 811

When GF was released, there was no perk that allowed the Killer to switch Obsessions, I guess the main function of the perk is to just change Obsessions, but now we have better options. A rework could be nice, the effects of reduced TR in chases are useless.

• Desh
    Desh Member Posts: 1,118

Not even going to bother reading the rest after your third paragraph/line. A lot of people use FC, myself included. I sometimes even use it as a meme with Rancor to do a Mori roulette. It's the one perk that wants you to focus on going for the Obsession unlike other Obsession perks and grants you a decreased terror radius that's even better than M&A by the third token. Your question also doesn't make sense since that could be applied to literally EVERYTHING. Iron Maiden? "What's the point" Monstrous Shrine? "What's the point"

• RainbowSuperLoki

This doesn't clarify why it is useful to reduce TR during a chase. The "change obsession" effect has a better alternative in Nemesis, which can actually transfer the obsession status from a dead survivor to one that's still alive. In other words, it never gets cancelled like Furtive Chase does. Also my question does make sense. I wouldn't ask what Ruin, or BBQ & Chili are for. However yes, I do want to ask why you would want to run Monstrous Shrine since it also is a very bad (and situational) perk.

• RainbowSuperLoki
    edited September 2020

Also it wouldn't hurt to be more respectful in your answer. You have the right to think that I'm wrong but you don't clearly say why... you argue that it's ridiculous for me to ask why someone would run Furtive Chase. You point out two things. A somewhat weird "randomizer" use with Rancor (it doesn't provide the killer with any true payoff), and you say Furtive Chase is better than M&A by third token.

However this statement sounds very inaccurate to me. Just because Furtive Chase reduces TR by more than 8 meters clearly doesn't make it better than M&A since M&A is active OUTSIDE chases, which is significantly better than during chases. While you are chasing a survivor, you generally don't care about other survivors since you already have one in front of you. If you do drop the chase with the survivor you're after, your TR gets back to normal. But while you're chasing someone you don't really get to sneak up on another survivor like M&A allows you to do. So, no, I still don't see the point. Besides M&A is active for the whole game, from the start of the game, whereas getting three tokens with Furtive Chase requires the game to be at least halfway through, meaning you get a lot less time to use its effect than you do with M&A. So, no, it doesn't get better than M&A, even after three tokens.

Besides, you have not adressed what the true use of reducing TR while in a chase is.

EDIT : also it's not just me who thinks FC sucks since Furtive Chase is rated as a D tier perk (the worst tier) by the community. -> https://dennisreep.nl/dbd/perk/60/

• Desh
    Desh Member Posts: 1,118

Considering that teammates that are being chased always lead them to other Survivors, it's a pretty useful perk. Dark Devotion is the same concept except it requires you to outright leave the chase to hopefully find someone else within 30 seconds.