Weapon Skins Should Affect How Killer Powers Look

Some characters have it good. The Hag, The Doctor, Michael Myers, their weapons are all big enough for people to actually see and their weapon skins are (generally) differentiated enough that you can tell the difference between them. Pig's even make different noises, which is nice.

But I doubt that anybody has ever even thought about what weapon they're using as Ghostface or bought one without it being part of a set. Some of his weapons only recolour the hilt, which can never be seen in gameplay. Even the killer themselves only see a tiny bit of whatever colour it is peeking out like it's trying to get them marked from behind cover.

But if, for example, The Oni's rage flames or Clown's vapour clouds changed colour to match their weapon, if Wraith's bell made a different noise or his uncloak used different VFX, Pyramid Head's trail of torment changed to represent different Otherworlds, or Trapper's traps could be remodeled, people would probably be a lot more eager to buy them.

The unused PTB version of Demogorgon's chase music or Ghostface's flip-phone Mori could be repurposed for weapon cosmetics, as long as they're just sitting around on the cutting room floor.

Weapons could be so much more, and if it's just a matter of adding some particle effects or changing some hex codes or audio tracks then it's probably more cost effective than designing and modelling entire costumes.

Just think of the "Legendary" weapons with unique animations associated with them that killers could apply to their costumes of choice. Think of the money if people actually had a reason to buy weapon skins. It's a win-win.

Comments

• BitingSea
    BitingSea Member Posts: 332

I honestly agree with you. You know how Joey from The Legion has a karambit? In Frenzy he slashes with the wrong side, no wonder he can't down anybody in frenzy he swings with the wrong side of the damn blade. Legendaries are extremely disappointing, if they wanted to make money from cosmetics, they should make them more enticing. Myers slashing with a pipe and screwdriver, Legion holding a knife wrong, just makes it much less cooler if they look like just reskins and nothing else, if I wanna spend money on pixels, they gotta have something to them.

• CupertinoEffect
    CupertinoEffect Member Posts: 11

Honestly it's shocking to me that the kanabo isn't already paired with Oni's weapon slot.

• Fozza
    Fozza Member Posts: 2

Came here because The Oni's kanabo being the same across all skins bothered me so much. Like, I understand things like Trapper's traps staying consistent since they're world-affecting tools. But the Kanabo is a weapon just like the Oni's sword! Why does the Sword change across all skins but the feudal japan kanabo stay that across them all? It could become a giant spiked mace for "The Minotaur", a demonic-corrupted Kanabo for the "Cursed Fate" skin, and for his "Demonic Force" skin, it could be much more regal looking to match his armour, and emit a white aura like his hair. And that's just off the top of my head!

Same thing could apply to many, many killers. Another spitball like that? The bells on Wraith. The "Wax Warlock" Bell could have a candle at the top of it. "The Golden Ox" Bell could be a golden Ox Statue. "Sleeping Hollow" could have a gnarled skull that glows with the orange hallowed entity energy.

Come on BHVR! Give the people more reasons to buy the skins!

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968

While I think it is a good idea, and would be really fun cosmetically. On the other side, I think they are avoiding it to prevent creating a circumstance in which a cosmetic makes a killer objectively better therefore selling power as MTX. Being quieter, less visibly apparent, or creating visual hitbox confusion. For example, someone may assume the hitbox of Oni's new kanabo is larger because of the cosmetic and thereby play sub optimally believing they are within 1 hit range. It may not sound like a lot, but if multiple survivors make that mistake across the course of the match then it adds up. Another example is objectively making wraith's bell louder or quieter, giving him a (partially) free addon every game to disorientate survivors with that are used to the normal bell, or lord forbid there be a different noise cue for the bell for every weapon which creates a whole nest of problems on its own.