Why is Pyramid Head often referred to as "unfun"?

I know that he doesnt have that much counterplay, but why is a killer called unfun if he cant be countered.

I personally love playing as and against him and its really fun on both sides for me cuz of the mindgames you can do as him and against him.

People are just used to playing the same way against every killer and thats the issue here.

I just wanted to know why?

Comments

• ZerLukas
    ZerLukas Member Posts: 294

PH has enough counterplay. He's still for the most part an M1 killer that can be looped.

Maybe survivors don't like him because his cages don't let them stab him with DS.

• bluedusef
    bluedusef Member Posts: 288
    edited September 2020

thats the main issue. you can not drop the pallet and it dont matter as he dosent get penalized for cancel into an M1 straight away. You can just fake using your power constantly and just m1

• Auron471
    Auron471 Member Posts: 1,310

ill be honest, and say that im not 100% certain as to what to do to loop a PH. Im just kinda hoping i can make them miss.

THB i think that PH needs a longer attack cooldown after lifting his blade out of the ground, so if the PH doesnt commit to using his ranged attack, the survivor can run slightly further before getting M1ed, allowing them to maybe vault a window or pallet.

Alternatively, we could put the ranged attack on an 8s cooldown, so he cant just spam it if he misses.

Of course, i thin PH deserves a buff if his ranged attack gets changed.

• ZaKzan
    ZaKzan Member Posts: 544

if you fake constantly you create a pattern, a pattern that good survivors can exploit.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

It's not just Pyramid Head, they level the same complaint about Spirit and Deathslinger. I think part of it is people kind of jumping on Scott Jund's bandwagon against these three particular killers because he thinks they're "boring to play against". (I don't know why he thinks that using terrain to get cover from a ranged attack is more boring than watching the killer for an attack animation and dodging when you see it but to each his own I guess. 🤷‍♂️ )

I seem to recall Scott also has made some similar complaints about survivor mechanics he thinks are "boring" but I think his complaints about these particular killers get more buzz.

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789

he can zone windows for free giving the survivor no chance, he can also tunnel people off hook with ease other than that hes pretty fun to verse

• tylxr_jay
    tylxr_jay Member Posts: 76

ill keep it simple but there’s a few reasons I don’t like him.

His ability gives him any and every reason to tunnel. Just got unhooked and knocked down instantly? No worries, get caged 5 seconds later.

if you drop a pallet, you get hit with his ability. If you don’t drop the pallet, you get smacked with an m1.

a killer that can tunnel with no consequence, has almost no counter play if played correctly, has no penalty for charging his ability and can hit threw walls is suppose to be fun to play against? Sure.

completely fun and fair killer, thanks for tunneling like a piece of ######### and getting rewarded for it.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

He is strong in loops which frustrates survivors.

I think his ability to just spam his power is what gets old. You can outplay him 4 times in a loop ,dodging, then get hit by his 5th attempt at a window or pallet.

Which kinda feels cheap after outplaying him over and over again.

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261

Strong killer =uNfUn

It's so simple.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

How can they exploit it? There’s no real downside to faking the power and if they try to call your bluff by vaulting you just use the power. Fake it as much as you want, the survivors can’t really do anything about it either way. Unless you only fake and never actually use your power, but I’m not sure why anyone would actually do that.

• OllieHellhunter
    OllieHellhunter Member Posts: 703

I've not played as him except on the PTB, and have rarely played against him, so I don't really know if I consider him fun to go against as I just havent gone against many.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Your 3rd sentence says it all.

Though maybe not at this scale, i saw enough complaints about the Doctor, cause he was meant to "change how the Survivors play against him".

Successful or not, it had the same effect on player feedback for a little while as Executioner does today.

• ZaKzan

Watching the best players in the game play vs actually doing it yourself makes a load of difference. In order to get an M1, you have to be at a certain distance away from the survivor, this distance just so happens to be about the distance you need in order to stun the killer. If PH is doing this to you and he's very close you to you, you can just stun him, otherwise if he M1s you, he's not going to hit you.

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620

Well, as a main survivor I love going against him but the main reasons why people dislike him are

He can avoid flashlight saves

He can avoid DS and BT (Two meta perks)

Cages counts as a hook state

If you're in the dying state and tormented he can mori you if you're in your last hook.

Sabo squads can't attempt to sabotage the hooks to free the survivor

You can't loop him, or chain loops with him. He can leave a trail and you're "forced" to step on it.(I have writted forced since they're not really forced, they just refuse to run away from that extra safe pallet where they can force you to spend 5 minutes chasing them and then, dead hard into the pallet.

If they step on the trail, you will have killer instinct so even if there's a wall/ rock or pallet you can guess where they will go and go for your ranged attack. Something that only Nurse's can do, and she is considered unfun to go against as well.

They can't vault and abuse the twu wall windows since you can use PH ranged attack

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870

No even if they continue to fake the psychological effect is there. Also who says the PH will stop faking and start committing.

• ZaKzan

Like I laid out, all you have to do is look behind you and see how close the PH is to you. You seem to think this interaction is static, but it's not. If the PH is close enough to you to m1, they are also close enough to stun, barring some circumstances like with corners. If they are not close enough to you to m1, you can continue running. The PH also has to be within a certain distance to even attempt this juke. Watching a good killer do this to a bad survivor very obviously makes it look unbalanced, but the interaction is a little more nuanced.

• Customapple0
    Customapple0 Member Posts: 629

The reason I find him unfun is Most players seem to tunnel with him.

Guess that must be the best way to play him 🤷🏻‍♂️

• azame

Regardless of the fact if hes close enough to m1 I've seen PH use the ranged. If you ever go against an experienced PH you will see the unwinnable situations you are put into. This killer has been bs since day one. I was disappointed with his release.

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833

because you cant easily loop him as you would loop a wraith. as simple as that, he actually has anti loop, and every killer who can deal with looping is unfun to go against.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

You put your sword in the ground and ready up your power as you go round the loop. The survivor approaches the pallet. You wait briefly to see what they do, just out of stun range, denying them the opportunity to stun you. If they drop the pallet or try to camp it you hit them with your power. If they don’t drop the pallet and go for another loop you continue following them and close the gap before proceeding to M1 them.

• ZaKzan

Yes, if you go against a more experienced player than yourself, you can expect to lose. You are seeing this interaction in a vacuum, and an experienced survivor would do things so that they aren't put into that situation in the first place. The very obvious and simple thing to do is to throw down pallets early and then play them until the PH kicks them. Experienced survivors tend to not put themselves into positions that make them vulnerable to killers at unsafe loops unless they absolutely have to. You have to look at the game from a bigger picture than just one interaction.

• azame

An experienced survivor versus an experienced PH is still a win for the killer. With PH the most if the situations you are found in are a bad one.

If you are running to a filler if you run through the pallet you either A eat the range or B dodge and eat the m1. A jungle gym if you go and take the windis vault you A eat the range or B dodge and eat the m1. The only safe-ish structures are tractors and other inclines on the map as the range cant bend upwards.

If you prethrow hes gonna shoot you with the range.

• ZaKzan

Considering this isn't a 1v1 pvp game and that it's in fact a 4v1 pvp game, the killer should ideally be around 4 times stronger than an individual survivor. There's a reason why the strongest strategy to ensure a survivor win is splitting up and doing gens. The point of an individual survivor is to maximize the time wasted by the killer chasing them while the other survivors do gens. Teamwork is the core of survivor gameplay.

Pyramid head ranged attack isn't guaranteed, it has a DPI slowdown like the deathslinger's does, it's very hard to aim, that's why the only way ph even hits his ranged attack is if survivors are stuck in an animation or otherwise stunned.

Killers that can circumvent or limit the effects of throwing safe pallets down are generally seen as the strongest on this game, and those that can't are seen as the weakest. Clown has one of the strongest anti loop powers in this game, but he's trash because there's not much he can do once the pallet has been thrown. The killer needs to be strong and the killer needs to be able to catch survivors, this is not a 1v1 game, it's a 4v1 game. I don't think many players realize the strength in numbers nor do they realize that in order for the game to be balanced, survivors have to be able to be caught by the killer. In fact it's more than that, considering it takes 12 hooks to fully kill all the survivors.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

He's unfun and unbalanced because he has no cooldown when switching his power. A barely decent PH can hold his power at a pallet and hit you with his M2 if you throw it down or use his M1 if you don't. Absolutely zero counterplay and it's wrong.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

The only time this was correct was wheb Legion came out

• azame

So I other words it's fine he has an oppressive chase ability because I'd 1v4 and you can gen rush him. Cool this convo Is over. Gen rushing an splitting on gens is boring and ends the game too quickly. Chases are fun if i cant have fun doing that then might as well winter switch sides.

• Saitamfed

You're right that chases are fun but chasing a single survivor for all 5 gens, being able to chain loops just because of the RNG is not fun for the killer either.

• azame

Alright gonna break this down for you. For starters if the chase is going on for too long drop it smart killers realize this early. Chaining loops takes actual skill.

Not every survivor can effectively chain windows or pallets. There is an exception to god loops. But being able to chain T and L walls into let's say a shack window is no easy feat.

Honestly a 5 gen chase should never happen unless you are a bad killer or the survivor is seriously outplaying you. I admit being ran for a long time isn't fun but it usually is your fault.

• Brhoom
    Brhoom Member Posts: 241

Because a 50/50 is not a 50/50 with some killers.

A Spirit with Stridor

A Pyramid Head with I'm All Ears

Death Slinger having a half second shoot time

etc...

In these situations you don't feel equal with the killer, both sides don't have the same chance.

And that's why it's unfun.

• SpookySZN
    SpookySZN Member Posts: 95

He's certainly more fun to go against than Legion

• Chunkyboi
    Chunkyboi Member Posts: 115

Oh my god is just came back and there are so many comments.

I read all of them and i understand why now.

People should adapt to new killers and at least try to learn some counterplay, but instead they just say hes unfun and dont even try.

• Chunkyboi
    Chunkyboi Member Posts: 115

nah you simply camp the pallet if he uses his power you go around the loop if not you throw it down, it requires some split second reaction time but i managed to use this strategy, maybe ill make a post listing some counters

• Saitamfed
    edited September 2020

Actually. I am not a bad killer or so I want to believe. I do agree that normally you would realize if the chase last very long, but you need to realize that between finding the first survivor and chasing him, 3 gens can pop at the same time.

I don't agree with the looping or chain window being hard, it's pretty easy when you know the map, being honest knowing the map it's the only thing it takes, and after a year, you already know every map, safe, unsafe pallets and windows. Being honest it doesn't require to know the map, it can be done by luck as well. Yesterday I was able to do that in the Doctor's map and the killer was unable to hit me, or get closer enough to hit me, and I didn't use a single pallet, just chaining windows. But after a whole minute of he chasing me and no one doing gens I let him hook me, since the match won't go anywhere.

I do partially agree that it's the killer fault, but against experienced or optimate survivors, you would get stuck in doing so since if you stop chasing A and then chase B, it will be the same since both of them are experienced.

Post edited by Saitamfed on
  • Saitamfed

Then what about a survivor seeing the red stain from behind walls? I am a main survivor but it's very unfun when you as a survivor can see the position of a killer because the red stain that you shouldn't be able to see.

• Gravewalker200
    Gravewalker200 Member Posts: 451

I play console and I enjoy playing with pc players. They aren’t that different from console players. People just generalize that kind of stuff based on only what they see

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,798
    edited September 2020

This did not take you 5-7 minutes but I loved it lol. The only thing I'd add is that with typical ping his ranged attack can't be dodged, which I think is trash given that he can zone with it, hit multiple survivors with it, and can hit through walls. Per the wiki:

The Punishment of the Damned Attack Trail will spawn with a delay of 0.267 seconds.

The individual Attack Trail Elements will spawn with a time offset of 0.033 seconds between each element to simulate a propagating attack wave.

The Punishment of the Damned Attack Trail has a default length of 8 metres.

What this means is that with no add-ons you will be hit at up to 8 meters within 300ms. Per Wikipedia, the mean reaction time for college-age people responding to a simple visual stimulus is 190ms. That's just detecting a simple visual stimulus and signaling that you saw it, which would certainly be easier than recognizing PH's attack in a game like DBD where there's a so much else competing for your attention. Still, let's take that number as a floor. Typical ping for me is 70-125ms, but I have buddies that are often closer to 30-50ms. Let's say for the sake of math that you and the killer both have 55ms ping, which would be better than I have ever gotten in DBD.

190ms reaction time + 110ms latency = 300ms. There's not even a fraction of a second to try to dodge. By the time the survivor can react, the attack will have already hit them.

It is extremely unfun to play against a killer that can zone with their power. If PH were less than 100% movement speed while leaving trails this wouldn't be an issue. It also wouldn't be an issue if you could react to his ranged attack and dodge it. In practice, though, it's complete guess work. If the attack missed, it's because the PH missed. If you try to dodge, he should walk up and M1 you. Pallet drops and vaults are free hits.

I don't even care about his cages and his "torment mori". Those are strong in their own right, but you can control whether or not you get tormented. I just want to be able to make a skillful play to extend chases against him. As is you just have to guess and hope he's bad.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,111

Probably because of his ability to play around DS, which flips the game on it's head since everyone runs and abuses that perk. Also, his split-second baiting of his ranged attack. If you vault the window, he has it preemptively ready. If you don't, he cancels it and hits you. Similar thing with pallets. That's stronger than both Huntress and Deathslinger's projectiles, which I can't believe is a statement that exists.