Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Question About Lag And Servers

I got no responses in Bug reports and I NEED answers.

So from my understanding Killer is no longer host because the server has that role so my internet should not be causing lag for Survivors.

Now my issue is that in the past 2 days I have had a few matches as Killer with moderate to severe lag on both my side and Survivor but it never happens when I play Survivor. Instances include taking a while to kick the Gen and swings are massively delayed and Survivors jump forward into the future etc. Sometimes it lasts for a few seconds and then sometimes it's half a match. Tonight everything felt smooth, real good and I was happy. But I was told by a Survivor that I was lagging and looking back on it maybe I was as sometimes Survivors didn't know I was there until I hit them; barely noticeable on my end.

Is this my fault? As far as I know my connection has been good since I'm wired and the motel is finally empty <3 hooray for slow season. They said the server was ''compensating for my #########'' I don't know anything about the technical stuff when it comes to internet and all that so if this is something I'm doing I want to know. I don't want to stomp Survivors and find out it had nothing to do with skill, that's not why I play this game and not how I want to win.

Answers

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

Its true that your Internet no longer causes lags for the survivors, however that doesn't mean you can't rubberband on other people's screens. I have played with lag as killer, and versed laggy killers on dedicated servers.

My experiences have been weird with that, because sometimes the servers prioritise the killer's input, and sometimes they don't. As laggy killer I have got responses from survivors telling me I teleport around loops, while having my own movement being slowed down on my screen in the very same matches. As survivor, I have seen teleporting killers too, and observed them being ######### by a lagspike, they got stuck on nothing, out in the open, during chases, where no killer would ever stop.

It all doesn't make any sense to me, and I see no pattern regarding when the killer gets the benefit of doubt by the server, or when not.

So my conclusion is that its not your fault. Its the servers fault for deciding in the killer's favour or not. RNG I guess?

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

@HatCreature

If you're on console than some consoles users are suffering from severe lag for both sides at the moment...

If you're not, than it probably has to either do with the motels connection to BHVRs servers (Since the connection relies on the connection TO BHVRs servers now... it isn't hosted by the Killer anymore... and the connection isn't linked to the Killer as the Survivor either... it all depends on the connection to the hosts servers now...)

Sometimes, the connection says it's green and "70 ping" when in reality it isn't... or the game tends to spike during a match as a result... this probably just has something to do with the internet itself...

On the off chance, it could also be caused by patch 3.3.2... since a few issues have risen after the patches release... But that's unlikely.

You'll probably not get a 100% answer on the issue here... but if you submit a ticket with the support team than you'll most likely have better odds there...

If you do go down that route, here's the support link: https://support.deadbydaylight.com/hc/en-us

Take what I said with a grain of salt since this could not be the reason behind this at all... but it could very well be as well... it's unknown since there are many factors to how the connection behaves in-game now...

• RussianMan
    RussianMan Member Posts: 3

Ive been lagging really really bad and i dont think this is my wifi because i have not been having problems like this in any other game and i rubber band every 2 seconds and this is especially bad when the killer is chasing me so i have almost no way of escping and i cant even really move at all very well. For example, i got downed on one side of a vault and a second later i was on the other side and the killer was so confuced and so was i, i cant play like this and i dont know if this is a problem with my game specifically because i get all kinds of errors that pretty much prevent me from even playing sometimes and it is only me i would really like an explanation for all of these errors and if it is a server problem i can only hope that it will be fixed soo because in the mean time i cannot really play at all.