New Gen Sounds Are Terrible and Unrealistic

Options

Seriously it sounds like a horse dying inside of a car, who thought this was a good idea? If the gens were slightly too quiet last patch, then simply just make THOSE sounds a little louder; there's already a bright beacon of light showing that someone is repairing a gen so why do they have to be speaker blowingly loud? It's just a jumbled mess of sounds that don't even match what the survivor is doing (seriously, why are there clicking noises when you're just connecting wires?), AND they're delayed. The gen will continue to make noise AFTER you get off of it. Just remove the extra unnecessary sounds you added and make the ones you had before a touch louder and you'd be fine. Instead, we have grandpa's old car even though it would only make one startup sound (that is if generators sounded like cars).

Comments

• katsumodo47
    katsumodo47 Member Posts: 54
    Options

Since the patch yesterday the gen engine starting noise gets old really fast. It's way to loud and annoying on the ears and after a few games would drive you mental

• kucerka
    kucerka Member Posts: 186
    edited September 2020
    Options

Yeah, you're not the only one. Many people hate It. Even my bro just came home and first question was if I heard already the new gen sounds 😂

• RepostRiposte
    RepostRiposte Member Posts: 793
    Options

What, you don't like sticking your head into a jet engine for 80 seconds?

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

The generators have no compression on any cylinder by the sound of them. Even after the survivors finish shorting the power wires to ground, the generators aren't going to run due to internal damage. As an auto mechanic, I'm kind of triggered by every aspect of the generators.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632
    edited September 2020
    Options

The main issue is that Technician is now useless. The silent repair aspect does nothing if the generators are whirring and spurring.

Post edited by DetailedDetriment on
  • jacindazs
    jacindazs Member Posts: 139
    Options

As always...

• aEONoHM
    aEONoHM Member Posts: 208
    Options

Please revert or at least tone down the volume of that #########. Talk about making the most boring aspect of the game even more unpleasant.

• Owlzey
    Owlzey Member Posts: 442
    Options

Agreed. I wouldn't mind if it played every 10 seconds or so, but it's literally constant and it's so ######### annoying.

• Luigifan64
    Luigifan64 Member Posts: 1,110
    Options

I could hear them just fine (as killer) before the change, but literally all they had to do was just increase the volume a little of the sounds gens already had.

• Thasard
    Thasard Member Posts: 268
    Options

Yes! This!

Please change the gen sounds back. I liked the initial changes you made, but this new change is super annoying. I was playing ina SWF, and everyone finds this so annoying. Like if you want us to play your game less, having to hear this car engine flooding / horse whinnying is definitely gonna help.

• Owlzey
    Owlzey Member Posts: 442
    Options

I hope it's either reverted or toned down. These new sounds are so terrible to the point where I want to mute the game...

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

This.

And also that the sounds just don't make any sense. Again, the devs have gone and just input whatever they think is right without any feedback from the community prior. It's no wonder that there's so much annoyance on these forums.

• PB_TORCHer
    PB_TORCHer Member Posts: 317
    Options

We needed gens to be more difficult. I like this addition

• Clox
    Clox Member Posts: 8
    Options

Elaborate on that please.

I bring this up because I thought what they brought up when they changed the generator graphics was kind of smart, there are two sides of the gen working with the levers that let you be more hidden BUT noisier, if you work on the more exposed part of the gen which is the front and back cables you make less noise but because you already are more exposed and easier to be attacked now this doesn't apply 100% with every generator placement but for the most of the part I thought they did a really good job there.

BUTT NO, Let's just throw all of that good thinking I was talking about out the window and just have every generator to sound like you are working on a ######### car in any side killing any potential stealth strategy even though you are working on generators for the exit gates which already are showing visual information and the regular gen noise was good enough, just ridiculous.

Also gens to be more difficult? do you play mostly survivor or killer? i don't get why the gens need something else but if they do They don't need to make me turn down the volume to handicap me to have a harder time hearing what's happening and killing any tension or having it still decent volume so that it hurts my tympanums.

Note: For curiosity and because I was hating the new generator sounds I tried running 'Technician' which muffles the gen sounds and ''Supposedly'' makes the radius to detect and listen to the noise shorter, it doesn't work they are just as loud without it so not a 'Good Job' so far.

• PB_TORCHer
    PB_TORCHer Member Posts: 317
    edited September 2020
    Options

Wow people are really crying about this topic. Dude I don't really care. I just like that they are more likely to make survivors miss checks. I play survivor 70% or more of the time nowadays. Just to put that out there. It's more than obvious what you main

• Luigifan64
    Options

It doesn't make skillchecks any easier to miss, all it does is make an annoying sound that shouldn't have been added.

• Siberia
    Siberia Member Posts: 353
    Options

Killers are gonna hear these new car sounds from a mile away. I don’t like it.

• Clox
    Clox Member Posts: 8
    Options

I Just wanted to read a good explanation of why is all, guess that's not what i am getting.

Decent thing to learn you play more survivor, same here but i don't see how making gens louder is gonna make me miss skill checks.

• arcnkd
    arcnkd Member Posts: 446
    Options

Guess I'm one of the unicorns around here that actually like the new generator noises because it makes it harder to ignore your generator and focus on background noise and such.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options

The new gen sounds are painful to hear, even if they were to get dialed down. It needs reverting to the previous version; the new sounds added in the 4.2.0 patch were great.

• idkwhat
    idkwhat Member Posts: 3
    Options

Definitely liked the old sound(s) a bit more. I dont dislike the new sounds but i think the biggest issue is the fact that they seem to be way too loud currently. Tone down the volume a bit and we're good to go!

• jacindazs
    Options

Well, that car sound literally disturbing me -_-

• Magerchub
    Magerchub Member Posts: 27
    Options

I'm glad that I can't even hear myself think when I do a gen now. Were they not plenty loud enough before? You can't hear anyone speaking so if you play with friends you're ######### and you also cant hear heartbeats unless they are on top of you. Not sure why the killers need even more advantages lol.

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383
    Options

Tbh they need to be a little quieter. (you can't hear Spirit phasing)

Otherwise it's a little need addition.

• Anghroth
    Anghroth Member Posts: 40
    Options

To be honest, repairing a gen should be a somewhat "scary" task, it's a horror game after all. So them being this loud and the survivors not being able to hear a killer approaching this easily, all add to the atmosphere, IMO.

I would really love for the gen sounds to stay the way they are, because let's be honest, until now they were so quiet you could even hear the shroud of a crouching Ghostface. That's not really my image of anything horror :)

• jacindazs
    Options

Of course that devs dont care about ours opinion -_-

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    edited September 2020
    Options

My top 3 worst ideas:

1. Old DS
    2. New DS
    3. New Gen sounds

I like that it is so clear that someone is working on a gen. Before the difference in sounds between working on a gen and not were a little too subtle for my liking. The fact that they are so obnoxious and out of place bothers me. I'd prefer more loud clanking noises than car starting sounds.

Edit: I forgot about Mettle of Man.

• doitagain_
    doitagain_ Member Posts: 723
    Options

Yep looks like everyone agrees the car sound effects need to go!

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    Options

The car sound is weird and doesn't fit at all.

• JLew
    JLew Member Posts: 160
    Options

Have you forgotten the attempt at new auras....ill take the obnoxious overly loud 1970s car sounds over that tbh.

• Gcarrara
    Gcarrara Member Posts: 2,263
    Options

Interesting how to see only me and another user on this thread liked the new sounds. I can agree maybe reducing the frequency of the "trying to startup" sound can be ok.

But other than that i prefer these sounds over the old ones.

Out of curiosity, what sounds would you suggest to put over the "car startup sound" that is currently there?

• InnCognito
    InnCognito Member Posts: 720
    Options

Yeah, the obnoxious engine with bad sound SFX stuff isn't working. I guess MAYBE if we wanted to "UP" the point of this game more. We COULD have generator's lamp posts actually start to FLICKER much brighter so the killer knows the generator is being worked on by a survivor, and maybe actually have those lights be MUCH brighter.

Maybe some actual updates on the game's lighting where if the generator runs. It actually fully illuminates the area and exposes the survivors more? IDK!

• Luigifan64
    Options

Nothing, remove the added sounds from this hotfix and make the sounds from the Blight update louder, that's it, nothing more you have to do. Don't have to add more sounds or replace them with another sound.

• bredbeddle
    bredbeddle Member Posts: 103
    Options

Someone disagrees with you and the first thing you do is pull out McCarthyist bullshit. Typical.

• lostboy
    lostboy Member Posts: 89
    Options

It's super realistic if you're starting up a car!

• HarlowXRaven
    HarlowXRaven Member Posts: 191
    Options

I have to agree due to those sounds im taking a break they are loud and give me headaches when I play. I miss the old sounds they were calmer it sounds like someone trying to play multiple instruments at the same time. Its painful af.

• arcnkd
    arcnkd Member Posts: 446
    edited September 2020
    Options

The problem with the sounds comes mainly from players using headphones dialed up to like 90 Volume to hear every little ambient sound; so Generators come in like a roaring hurricane. The new sounds are welcome because working on a Generator should not be a passive task - Survivors can already unrealistically turn their cameras to watch behind them and their sides instead of having to actually "focus" on the generator they're trying to delicately repair; these sounds just help muffle their senses and break their concentration on their surroundings instead of their generator -- something that is much needed and welcome.

The car noise is perhaps a little out of place and obnoxious - it could be toned down slightly but there should be an engine start up sound of some sort; more clanking and sparking noises -- essentially, there needs to be something that keeps drawing the Survivors attention to the generator and away from "unrealistic" environmental awareness during a "singular focus" task.

Think about it - your head is right up against a generator that's revving up. You shouldn't be able to be consciously aware of anyone trying to sneak up on you during that sort of activity - especially not from behind, but the Devs have graciously allowed you the ability to freely rotate your camera during Generator activities so you can "know" when you hop off and sneak away instead of being taken by surprise almost every time.

Most of these players don't want 'realistic' sounds. They want muffled, non-distractions so they can keep focusing on everything but the M1 simulator and its sporadic skill checks.

• Magerchub
    Magerchub Member Posts: 27
    Options

I mean you're a mod so why wouldn't you agree... It's not like the gens were quiet before, they still made plenty of noise and still do! They just added 4 different sounds on top of it so now can you not only hear the killer until they are on you but you also can't hear yourself think or anyone in your discord call, like I already said.

• Kind_Lemon
    Options

I would argue that most players just find the sounds annoying and wouldn’t mind changes to sounds that were solely to increase concentration on a generator. I dislike the sounds, and that’s across the board as killer and as survivor. I also really don’t like watching videos with the new gen sounds. I think they are downright obnoxious and are on the level of that vulture (should have never made it live) in the lobby from the Deathslinger (ugh) chapter.

• Kind_Lemon
    Options

And I’m surprised anyone liked the sounds.

I don’t believe it’s a question of frequency so much as it is about the existence of the sounds at all. Probably any sound (including the old sound, the sound of a light saber, a duck’s quacks, whale noises, ANYTHING) is going to be better than what we have live.

Some people just process annoying sounds differently, and I guess you are one of those people (nothing against anyone ofc)