Reworking the Luck System

Trwth
Trwth Member Posts: 921
edited December 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions

I'm gonna guess what you think when I say the word "Luck" in Dead by Daylight. "Yeah, that means kobe-ing off of hooks, or 4%-ing." Well, you're not wrong if that's what you're thinking. Luck right now is completely outdated. It only affects two things as far as I know: hook escapes and bear trap escapes. It doesn't affect chest searches despite the existence of Ace Visconti, and doesn't even affect any perks. So most people just run a Luck Offering as a filler when you don't have anything else.

I've been doing some thinking and here's what how I think Luck should work:

Luck shouldn't be game-changing. Don't expect it to be the crucial part of your plan to escape, since it is just luck after all. You win some, you lose some. Also, Luck only affects Survivors and never the Killer, only indirectly of course.

---

Points of Luck

Rather than a percentage, Luck will be distributed by "Points of Luck." So each offering or perk that affects Luck grants points. Each point of Luck contributes to your chances of something fortunate happening to help you out. Also, Luck is personal... always. You can use perks or offerings that increase the Luck of the team, but it's never combined. It can be stacked, of course

For a quick reference, the maximum amount of points each Survivor can have is by all using the Vigo's Jar of Salty Lips offering and the perk Up The Ante, which equals 24 Luck Points MAX. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Effects on Gameplay:

Each Point of Luck grants:

• An additional 1% chance of succeeding when attempting to escape on a hook.
  • A 2% chance for a failed skill check not to alert the Killer.
  • A 0.5% chance that a Good Skill Check will be considered a Great Skill Check.
  • A 5% chance not to alert a crow when in close proximity.

Effects on Chests:

• Decreases the chances of receiving a Common Item from chests.
  • Increases the chances of receiving a Rare, Very Rare, or Ultra Rare Item from chests.
  • Uncommon Item chances are unaffected.

Effects on Killer Belongings:

• All Killers: A 1% chance to not be afflicted with a status effect as a result of an add-on. (Ex: Begrimed Head, "Z" Block, Legion Pin, Solvent Jug, etc.) Does not apply to Reverse Bear Trap add-ons.
  • The Trapper: An additional 1% chance of escaping a bear trap.
  • The Trapper: A 1.5% chance not to become injured when disarming or sabotaging a trap while the Bloody Coil add-on is in effect.
  • The Wraith: A 1.5% chance not to be detected by the "All-Seeing" - Blood add-on while the Wraith is cloaked.
  • The Hag: A 1% chance not to activate a Phantasm while walking.
  • The Doctor: Reduction of the chance of a skill check appearing in a random area of the screen when affected by Madness by 2%.
  • The Nightmare: A 2% chance that interacting with an alarm clock will grant an additional 15 seconds before the Survivor begins falling asleep again.
  • The Pig: An 1% chance for the reverse bear trap's death trigger to be delayed 6 seconds before the Survivor is killed if the timer runs out. Attempting to leave through an exit gate with an active trap will always trigger the trap, regardless of luck.
  • The Plague: A 1% chance not to be infected when interacting with an infected object such as vaults and generators.

Effects on Survivor Perks:

Each point of Luck grants:

• Ace in the Hole: An additional 2% chance of receiving a second add-on of Uncommon rarity or lower.
  • Autodidact: An increased chance of triggering a healing skill check by 1.5%.
  • Decisive Strike: A 3% chance to reuse Decisive Strike the next time you are unhooked if the skill check is missed.
  • Distortion: A 1% chance to activate the perk without consuming a token.
  • Saboteur: A 2% chance for hooks and traps sabotaged to stay broken for an additional 10 seconds.
  • This Is Not Happening: A 1% chance that Great Skill Checks will grant an additional 2% action progression when performed.
  • Leader, Streetwise, Vigil: A 3% chance that affected Survivors will receive the effects of the perk for 20 seconds instead of 15 when they leave its effective range.

Effects on Killer Perks:

• A Nurse's Calling: A 1% chance not to be detected while healing within the perk's effective range.
  • Barbecue and Chili: A 1% chance not to be detected while outside of its 40 meter range.
  • Bitter Murmur: A 1% chance not to be detected while within 16 meters of a generator after its completion.
  • Blood Echo: A 0.5% chance to not afflicted with status effects when this perk comes into effect.
  • Franklin's Demise: A 0.5% chance to keep a firm grasp on your item and not drop it when attacked by the Killer.
  • Iron Maiden: A 1% chance not to trigger the perk when exiting a locker.
  • Make Your Choice: A 0.5% chance not to trigger the perk when unhooking another Survivor.
  • Mindbreaker: A 1% chance not to become Exhausted when interacting with a generator. Active Exhaustion timers will still be paused regardless of luck.
  • Nemesis: A 1% chance not to become Oblivious and detected when stunning or blinding the Killer. You will still become the obsession.
  • Territorial Imperative: A 2% chance not to be detected when entering the basement. The Killer still receives an audio cue when the perk triggers.
  • I'm All Ears: A 1% chance not to trigger the perk when performing a rushed action within its effective range.
  • Sloppy Butcher: A 1% chance not to be afflicted with Hemorrhage and Mangled when attacked.

Offering Changes:

Each offering that affects Luck will grant Luck Points instead:
  • Chalk Pouch and Salt Pouch: 1 Point
  • Cream Chalk Pouch and Black Salt Statuette: 2 Points
  • Ivory Chalk Pouch and Vigo's Jar of Salty Lips: 3 Points
  • (Perk) Up The Ante: 1/2/3 Luck Points per respective tier
    • All Luck Points stack depending on whether they are personal or not.

Post edited by Trwth on

Comments

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

"The Pig: An additional 0.5% chance to remove a reverse bear trap when completing an interaction with a Jigsaw Box."

Not sure if you are aware of this, but that's not how Reverse Bear Traps work. You either pick the one box that has the Key, or you pick any of the others that do not. Just thought I'd point that out.

• Trwth

Whoops.

Uh, I’ll just remove that. Nobody saw anything. 😉

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

I don't mind most of these suggestions. Perhaps some of the numbers could use tweaking, but I'm all in favour of luck being a much more impactful stat than it is right now.

One note, as TAG mentioned above, the way RBTs work is that the key is hidden in a random box and you have to find which one. It's not a percentage chance of finding the key when searching any given box. Perhaps a better alternative for how luck could affect the Pig's power is by granting a 0.5% chance, per luck point, that the trap will not activate whenever a generator gets completed. If that's too strong, maybe a 1% chance, per luck point, that the activation timer will be slower than usual when the trap activates.

• Trwth

For RBTs, I have two solutions:

1. When the timer runs out, there’s a 1% chance that the trap will not activate until 10 seconds later for each Luck Point.
    2. Or, remove any effects at all and keep it as is.

I’m also on Mobile right now, so I can’t edit my message for some reason.

• MarkoSveeki
    MarkoSveeki Member Posts: 5

they need to fix luck system, because i got only brown items

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

I totally disagrtee with all effects to killer belongings and perks. When you wrote that killer is not affected, I thought you would bring up points how killers can have luck, rather than providing a list of how luck counters several killer mechanics. This would simply feel like bugs on killer side when a relied mechanic simply does not proc.

Luck should stay survivor action based, not killer interaction based. If you go the way you suggested, you could also progress and list stuff like "0.5% chance of not landing a vault hit that otherwise would have connected".

• Trwth

Old post by the way.

I kind of agree with what you disagree with for some things, specifically aura-related perks. However, if Luck is gonna be in the game, it should have an effect on just about everything in the game.

Could we exclude perks entirely? I honestly wouldn’t mind that. I’d personally hate to get screwed over by Luck while running a gimmick build.

And I agree about your point about the visuals. My solution would be to have a visual and sound cue when a luck-based event triggers. Both so it feels more alive (less like a bug) and also more satisfying where you get that warm feeling in your heart where you’re like, “Ah thank God.”

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

Oh, didn't notice the necromancy in this thread. I just go by the "recent discussions" page ^_^'

I don't think luck should affect everything, but it definitely could get some more effects than the current, especially as many expect some things which is by simple logic but it doesn't. Chests is one thing, your skillcheck ideas are good as well for example