Using Self Care = Admitting you are bad

Raziel
Raziel Member Posts: 100
edited October 2018 in General Discussions

Title.

Change my mind.

P.S. Self Care usage is officially declared at ~24%. That means that, on average, 1 survivor will have it each game and the other 3 won't. Do a little check for yourself and make a note of how many SCs you can see each game.

EDIT: Adding one of my replies to the main post because I see a lot of people misunderstood the context.

@Raziel said:

As a killer, I can work around survivors having Self Care and even use it to my advantage by making them waste time healing.

As a survivor I notice a considerable difference in match performance when using Self Care compared to when I do not. Simply put, having the ability to heal one's self frees me of having to plan my moves and devise strategies because, when combined with looping, Self Care allows the correction of every mistake I would make and prevents the Killer from getting me.

I do not need to worry about playing mind games with killers such as the Nurse or the Spirit because I can take one hit, enjoy my free Sprint Burst to the next pallet, loop till the gates are open or they give up and then heal up. If they lose me, it takes at most 30 seconds for me to get back into a position where I am guaranteed safety for 1 more mistake or a clear escape if the hatch or gates are available.

I am clearly not the only one who noticed this given that Self Care is encountered 96% of the time. This is not surprising since, by equipping this single perk, I can negate a portion of the game that would otherwise match my personal skill to the killer's personal skill.

By having the perk, it does not matter if I am of lower skill, by sticking to the simple plan of try something risky -> mess up -> loop -> selfcare / be helped by people with selfcare I have a clear shot at victory.

To summarise, in case you missed it, my point is not from a killer's perspective exclusively. I find the perk worse from the survivor perspective, in fact.

Post edited by Raziel on

Comments

• Raziel

@CoolAKn said:
    Several people use Self Care because they don't have confidence in their team, or they like the independence it provides. I personally don't care for Self Care, I would rather equip Pharmacy and find a med kit to self heal instead.

96% = several?

• serabeth90
    serabeth90 Member Posts: 100
    edited October 2018

It depends on what your definition of "bad" is. Is a survivor who is good at looping, pallets, windows, chases, etc. "bad" because they are abusing game mechanics or "good" because they can avoid getting hit for long periods of time? Is a survivor who plays more immersed and is better at losing the killer during a chase in which they've only been hit 1 time and can then heal up "good" for playing the game more as intended or "bad" because they are stealthing around the map instead of running in the open?

You can see how the answer is very much opinion-based. Personally, although I have gotten to rank 1 on survivor, I consider myself bad because I am not able to do pallet looping or chases and I tend to play more immersed. I think the survivors who can do the long chases are much more skilled than I am. But I run self care about 70% of the time. The other 30%, I either have a med kit (or a chest perk to get one, such as pharmacy or plunderer) or I rely on Bond to bring me to my teammates who can heal me back up.

Most of my self care usage ends up being because the killer ran back right after I got unhooked so I have to book it out of there before the person who saved me can heal me back up.

I would agree it's a boring perk and I would say anyone who plays SWF should not need it. But "good" and "bad" unfortunately in this game is very subjective and depends on your opinion of how it should be played.

• Silas
    Silas Member Posts: 307
    Utilizing a perk that's available does not make a player bad, even if the perk is overpowered. Can't blame players for using what's available.

I stopped using SC a while back, as bond usually leads to a quick heal and provides more benefits.
  • ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    SC is inferior to Bond atleast for solo players.
  • DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

@Raziel said:
    Title.

Change my mind.

P.S. Self Care usage is officially declared at ~24%. That means that, on average, 1 survivor will have it each game and the other 3 won't. Do a little check for yourself and make a note of how many SCs you can see each game.

It is only 24% because you can only pick SC once in every loadout and not 4 times in each slot :wink:

• DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

@Raziel said:

@Orion said:

@Raziel said:
    Title.

Change my mind.

That's not right. It's 24% of all perk slots. There are 4 perk slots per player, and only 1 of them can be SC, so the actual percentage is 96%.

I know that, but that was not the number we were officially given. If a perk is used 96% of the time then it clearly needs more nerfs.

Yes but after the devs realized that it needs a change and said that they would nerf it, they backpaddled and dropped the idea so its gonna stay as it is

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    Duely noted.
  • altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141

Show us your Survivor. I would love to see it.

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051

Show us your Survivor. I would love to see it.

He's balls to the walls No Mither with no other perks. Because only real survivors use No Mither.
  • xxaggieboyxx
    xxaggieboyxx Member Posts: 498
    Let me get this straight. You think people who have self-care is bad? Mmmmm... Na... There's a perk called nurses calling.. Perhaps you've heard of it? Maybe just maybe put on nurses calling and find the location they may be healing at? 🤔 But hey that's none of my business. : Sips on a glass of tea.:
    You shouldn't need to bring a perk to counter an extremely crutch survivor perk. Survivor perks shouldn't be so crutch that almost everyone uses it. 

Also so instead of complaining about noed or camping maybe just cleanse totems or do generators but hey that's none of my business 
  • xxaggieboyxx

@xxaggieboyxx said:
    You shouldn't need to bring a perk to counter an extremely crutch survivor perk. Survivor perks shouldn't be so crutch that almost everyone uses it. 

Also so instead of complaining about noed or camping maybe just cleanse totems or do generators but hey that's none of my business 

That's also not really how nurses calling works. You don't just put it on and know where everyone is healing. Good survivors will use SC outside of your terror radius. NC works best on characters whose terror radius you can reduce(like Mike Meyers). It's still a good perk but it's pretty easily avoidable.

EXACTLY and all survivors can run self care and make nurses calling completed useless as soon as you hear the terror radius. Seems like every strong killer perk has a hard counter to make it completely useless while all strong survivor perks have a counter that can be countered if that makes any sense. And some don't even have a counter and they are just strong 
  • Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

@xxaggieboyxx said:
    ZombieGenesis said:

@xxaggieboyxx said:

That's also not really how nurses calling works. You don't just put it on and know where everyone is healing. Good survivors will use SC outside of your terror radius. NC works best on characters whose terror radius you can reduce(like Mike Meyers). It's still a good perk but it's pretty easily avoidable.

EXACTLY and all survivors can run self care and make nurses calling completed useless as soon as you hear the terror radius. Seems like every strong killer perk has a hard counter to make it completely useless while all strong survivor perks have a counter that can be countered if that makes any sense. And some don't even have a counter and they are just strong 

If a survivor is injured, and they've managed to outplay you, juke, and hide, they deserve to heal. The hard counter to Self-care is to not lose the survivor, lmfao.

If they're injured you've probably just been right next to them, lol.

• Seanzu
    edited October 2018

@xxaggieboyxx said:
    Yeah because every time you injure a single survivor you are gonna chase them. You obviously don't play much killer 

So if you're not chasing them, they've either ran away and been healed or they've healed themselves, either way - it doesn't really affect the match much if you're not chasing them.

and i absolutely play killer, I just don't cry about as much things as the people on this forum seem to.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

You should have made a little meme with the doctor for this post.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,873

@Raziel said:
    Title.

Change my mind.

Killers crying about survivor perks are bad. Change my mind.

• Raziel
    edited October 2018

@Dreamnomad said:

@Raziel said:
    Title.

Change my mind.

Killers crying about survivor perks are bad. Change my mind.

As a killer, I can work around survivors having Self Care and even use it to my advantage by making them waste time healing.

As a survivor I notice a considerable difference in match performance when using Self Care compared to when I do not. Simply put, having the ability to heal one's self frees me of having to plan my moves and devise strategies because, when combined with looping, Self Care allows the correction of every mistake I would make and prevents the Killer from getting me.

I do not need to worry about playing mind games with killers such as the Nurse or the Spirit because I can take one hit, enjoy my free Sprint Burst to the next pallet, loop till the gates are open or they give up and then heal up. If they lose me, it takes at most 30 seconds for me to get back into a position where I am guaranteed safety for 1 more mistake or a clear escape if the hatch or gates are available.

I am clearly not the only one who noticed this given that Self Care is encountered 96% of the time. This is not surprising since, by equipping this single perk, I can negate a portion of the game that would otherwise match my personal skill to the killer's personal skill.

By having the perk, it does not matter if I am of lower skill, by sticking to the simple plan of try something risky -> mess up -> loop -> selfcare / be helped by people with selfcare I have a clear shot at victory.

To summarise, in case you missed it, my point is not from a killer's perspective exclusively. I find the perk worse from the survivor perspective, in fact.

• Raziel

@Rebel_Raven said:
    One of the major objectives of a survivor is to buy time to get generators done.
    Self care helps buy that time. It's good to waste the killer's time as much as possible.

It also works to the killer's advantage if they capitalize as certain perks counter it, and it also gives the killer more time to hook people.

Asking survivors to please make the game easier on you via insulting them to stop using self care will probably fall on deaf ears.
    Lets be real. Survivors are less likely to follow the rules of killers than vice versa. Killers have shown some courtesies from time to time.

Hiding doesn't work too well, flat out running doesn't work too well, lithe is getting screwed by dwindling vaulting points. Stealth is not as easy as all that either, and the slow go route offers the least reward for the risk.
    Sure, lets take more tools from the survivors to make it harder for them to survive. Pretending otherwise is pretty laughable. Even if some people can do it, aptitudes vary.

And no, I'm not a survivor main . I play both sides, and not much bothers me aside from SWF.

The problem I see in your argument is that the game, at the very least, promises stealth and then fails to deliver. Should BHVR not fix that first, instead of letting it be broken and giving us other kinds of crutches to stay alive?

• Raziel

@ChesterTheMolester said:
    SC is inferior to Bond atleast for solo players.

Either 96% of the players are SWF or 96% of the players are bad for using the inferior perk. In fact, since SWF can coordinate rather well, I would argue they would also benefit more from Bond than Self Care. Congrats, you just proved me right.

• Raziel

@SenzuDuck said:

@xxaggieboyxx said:
    ZombieGenesis said:

@xxaggieboyxx said:

If a survivor is injured, and they've managed to outplay you, juke, and hide, they deserve to heal. The hard counter to Self-care is to not lose the survivor, lmfao.

Why? Shouldn't they be hiding from the killer in the first place? Them getting hit is their punishment for being caught and the killer's reward for managing to chase them well enough to land a hit.

Their reward for evading the killer after being hit should only be continuing to live. Why would they get to completely revert their first mistake as well? The killer definitely does NOT get back the time he invested in that chase.

• rebelhunter316
    rebelhunter316 Member Posts: 102
    Let me get this straight. You think people who have self-care is bad? Mmmmm... Na... There's a perk called nurses calling.. Perhaps you've heard of it? Maybe just maybe put on nurses calling and find the location they may be healing at? 🤔 But hey that's none of my business. : Sips on a glass of tea.:

If everyone had there way this game be trash. Maybe focus on downing survivors and not worry about them healing? Maybe o I don't know outsmart the survivors instead of bitching about perks. But that none of my business. 
  • Oblitiry
    Oblitiry Member Posts: 487
    I'm amazed how dumb ass topics manage to one up the other ones around here lol.

I assume by next month we'll have a topic called " using your ears is cheating " make people def BHVR. Only bad players listen for an advantage. 
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

I run SC as I play solo 85% of the time if not more and I find that not all my team mates are competent and quite a few are rambo loopers/chase after teh killer non stop types. Then you get the ones that come to heal you with the killer in tow.

I don't run SB and haven't in months now and I suck at looping and I don't dare bring a medkit in lest the killer dodge the lobby if they see 1 or more of them let alone 1 or more items. I play with a lot of the same people at rank 1 and most don't bring in items either.

For the killers I play against quite a few of the same ones also and I get dodged pretty consistently by probably the same killers if I bring items or anyone else does as well.

• rebelhunter316

@xxaggieboyxx said:

Someone clearly hasn't played the doctor. And knowing about tier 3 shaking it off. It works the same way with nurses calling.
  • Seanzu

@Raziel said:

@SenzuDuck said:

@xxaggieboyxx said:
    ZombieGenesis said:

@xxaggieboyxx said:

Why? Shouldn't they be hiding from the killer in the first place? Them getting hit is their punishment for being caught and the killer's reward for managing to chase them well enough to land a hit.

Their reward for evading the killer after being hit should only be continuing to live. Why would they get to completely revert their first mistake as well? The killer definitely does NOT get back the time he invested in that chase.

If the killer can't complete a chase their punishment is the survivor being healed/healing themselves, if a survivor fails they get hooked, whats the issue? Just need something to blame for losing matches?

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

I haven't seen as many people using SC lately. Might just be the matches I'm in, but DS and SC seem to be used a lot less than a few months back when I was playing. I only use it when that's the only Perk to put in a slot. Sorry, not using Dark Sense or Alert when I have a Perk that will actually help me out. I actually have played quite a few matches where no one had DS, and only 1 or 2 had SC. Sprint Burst though... that's a pretty standard Perk in most of the matches I'm in.

The new healing changes should alleviate some of the SC use/abuse or whatever. Honestly though, if a Survivor manages to juke a Killer for long enough that they can heal with Self Care, that Killer doesn't deserve the hook.

• xxaggieboyxx

If everyone had there way this game be trash. Maybe focus on downing survivors and not worry about them healing? Maybe o I don't know outsmart the survivors instead of bitching about perks. But that none of my business. 
    Bah! Another survivor main who never plays killer seriously. Explain how to "outsmart the survivors" please enlighten me. I guarantee anything you can come up with has a counter but please do try 
  • makayla
    makayla Member Posts: 287

I use SC because it's what helps me have fun when I play survivor. I don't care if people consider it to be a perk bad players use. I use what I have fun with.
    I don't like getting injured and stressing out over if someone else will heal me or not, or if I'll find a medkit, or if the killer will find me and down me fast. I just heal myself and move on without having worry.

• akbays35
    akbays35 Member Posts: 1,123

Sc takes too much time and it's going to take longer after the next patch.

• rebelhunter316

Bah! Another survivor main who never plays killer seriously. Explain how to "outsmart the survivors" please enlighten me. I guarantee anything you can come up with has a counter but please do try 
    Lol. Never plays killer. That cute. I got two mains hag and doctor. Both with nurses calling both can wrecks faces. Hear a thought. Maybe I don't know... Bait a survivor to healing someone with nurses calling if they don't have relentless or whatever that perk is called to get yourself up. Maybe force them to have the last generator repaired in perfect patrol pattern where you don't have to go half way across the map? I could tell you many perks that a killer could use to outsmart a survivor. But that's none of my business....
  • altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141
    Still patiently waiting to see your “good” Survivor. 
  • I don't play survivor nearly as much as Killer but this is a pretty bold accusation lmao.

As a survivor not playing SWF you can't rely on anyone because your team are normally snakes. It isn't like the healing speed is the same as when you're healed by others, you're entitled to your opinion tho.

• Cypraz
    Cypraz Member Posts: 136

sorry but perks don't decide who is skilled or bad at the game. that's commonsense nice try though.

• SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273
    edited October 2018
    It’s your fault in the first place you lost your prey to the point where they could scurry off and Self Care to full. If it’s that bad, bring Nurse’s Calling, Clourophobia, or Sloppy Butcher. Make them waste time with Self Care. 

Self Care used to be a problem, with the plethora of counter perks and the upcoming healing nerf that’s going to make them already waste loads of time healing with self care at just base, adding in any one of the aforementioned anti-healing perks, it’s no longer an issue. 
  • Blood_Coil_Viper
    Blood_Coil_Viper Member Posts: 199
    Thetruth said:

@PinkEricka said:
    Killers that use NOED = Admititng you are bad so you have to use a crutch perk.

very true. lotta killer trash in this thread

If you think NOED makes a killer trash then I think you're trash for not cleansing the totems.. No perk decides a killer or survivors skill.. even though some are stronger then others you can't call someone trash because of their perks. Like if I see you in a lobby with a flashlight and I bring Franklin's Demise does that make me trash because I used a perk you don't like? 
  • M2Fream
    M2Fream Member Posts: 288
    Lets clearify something here.
    The ONLY reason self care is still a broken ass infinte heal self suffucuent perk and still in the game is because if the devs even mention a self care nerf, the Survivor Selfcare Defensive Cult will review bomb and write the devs death threats. Selfcare is an overpowerd perk. If 94% of players use it, its a damn good perk. Its op. Nothing anyone will say about it will ever change my mind.
  • yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832

self care is hands down the strongest perk in the game, it's effect just isn't as directly noticeable as say SB, NOED or DS so people don't complain about it as much

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    edited October 2018
    Raziel said:

@Rebel_Raven said:
    One of the major objectives of a survivor is to buy time to get generators done.
    Self care helps buy that time. It's good to waste the killer's time as much as possible.

It also works to the killer's advantage if they capitalize as certain perks counter it, and it also gives the killer more time to hook people.

Asking survivors to please make the game easier on you via insulting them to stop using self care will probably fall on deaf ears.
    Lets be real. Survivors are less likely to follow the rules of killers than vice versa. Killers have shown some courtesies from time to time.

Hiding doesn't work too well, flat out running doesn't work too well, lithe is getting screwed by dwindling vaulting points. Stealth is not as easy as all that either, and the slow go route offers the least reward for the risk.
    Sure, lets take more tools from the survivors to make it harder for them to survive. Pretending otherwise is pretty laughable. Even if some people can do it, aptitudes vary.

And no, I'm not a survivor main . I play both sides, and not much bothers me aside from SWF.

The problem I see in your argument is that the game, at the very least, promises stealth and then fails to deliver. Should BHVR not fix that first, instead of letting it be broken and giving us other kinds of crutches to stay alive?

I can agree with the lack of decent stealth, but they got rid of those notions with some of the very first killers.
    Wraith with bloodhound, and seeing scratches better makes escape damn near impossible.
    Sure, don't get seen in the first place, and never run? Easier said than done. Especially since there is an ability that lets him see people while cloaked.

Nurses calling? It's a huge counter to SC unless you're playing against the handful that know both well enough to dodge the perk.

Stealth is not well rewarded as impatience often overpowers the desire to crouch walk, or even walk for the most part.
    Me playing stealth is near useless because the other survivors will gladly blow it.

There a ton of really powerful tracking abilities the killer has that makes stealthy approaches a joke. 
    If you play a stealth game successfully, you can probably thank someone for being a distraction.
    And because killers can quickly find survivors, the pace of the game changes which means it goes by too fast.
    With few to no equalizers, survivors would just get slaughtered. They get slaughtered, they get angry, they complain or quit.
    So they get perks like self care, which makes some sense as people in their position would probably learn to heal themselves anyhow.
    If games end too quick and one sided, the game lacks balance. It will die.