Why dont some trusted and higher tier players work with the game dev's

Dbd could be better with how they balance items/perks/maps ect. All they need to do is a similar way to how Valorant uses CSGO pro players to judge whats good or bad for the game, having a gamer inside the game working on bettering any balance issues. It might be a hard thing to do, or may even be worse by letting bias dictate it, but its an attempt the devs are making at helping the players have more fun. We should be working with the devs not against eachother, just look at the warframe community when an update completely ruined the experience and they waited it out and respected the devs for trying.

Comments

• storydove
    storydove Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2020

Is what top tier players think fun the same as what the average player finds fun? I noticed a few of the most successful survivors I've played with play a very patient game. Whereas there is a much more reckless style with the majority who make up the player base. So I don't see how catering for a minority who like to play the game a certain way is meant to improve the game for everyone.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Or they keep doing doing how they been doing it as the game's popularity shows they are clearly doing something right.

Why change a winning strategy?

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

Someone recently made a wonderful thread asking if people want the game balanced around top players or not, because the majority of threads calling for nerfs/buffs/changes seem to point to top players instead of an average.

Add to that the general vitriol the devs are met with no matter what they do...

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited October 2020

Those players have tried to help them many, many times throughout the years already.

They listen, think they know better, and then do what they want. Which usually ends up being the opposite of what everyone wanted changed.

While I don't think those players get literally everything right, in general the game would be in a better state if we did get most their changes.

I really want to see an open conversation on skype/discord with the games balance team and some of the top streamers about the games balance. This would shed a lot of light on the games problems and do well for their PR.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I know for a fact they take some of my suggestions that I've made on this forum and on the Steam forum, which is kinda funny because I came to this forum to troll and expected to be banana'd but I somehow have almost twice as many upvotes as I do comments.

You guys probably wouldn't like it if I really dragged them down the rabbit hole though. I mix a lot of humor with horror. You'd get Midwich elementary atmosphere and pallets that when dropped/broken release viscera/rot/maggots, or breakable walls that go nowhere (like a closet) but just have a hope drained corpse flop out of it.

Thing is, a lot of the maps this game has...are practical. You have your loops, your landmarks, etc. but it all serves a purpose in one way or another.

With ideas like mine you can enter the telephone booth.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,940

And please lets not let this discussion start to insult Content Creators - regardless of your personal opinion of any of them...please keep that to yourselves!

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985

The Fog Whisperers are more like those people showing off the freshest newest merchandise in a store. They want their FWs to show off new skins and content, so entice the masses to buy.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

First of all, we would've to define what makes them 'trusted'.

The second issue is the 'higher tier' and the fact that normal gameplay and players' base in DbD are not high tier at all.

So, whatever the advisors suggest would affect negatively most players if it's in a high-tier (think 'tournament') balance mindset, because DbD is a casual party game and the outcome would be something undesireable like this:

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789

he influences a lot of people with the mindset of blame everything on x thing and not point out my own mistakes which causes a lot of people to never get more skilled this is something he does himself and you can see it when that video kept getting reposted everywhere of a team doing 4 gens in 3 mins and him saying it was unfair when he only got 2 hooks and stayed in one spot the whole match

• PyroGL
    PyroGL Member Posts: 239

The Devs have data and statistics that only they have access to that they make balance decisions around. The reason the community is "ignored" is because the community does not get access to that data, and changes the community suggest likely go against something they see in their data.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Alot of people dislike him because of his attitude. They feel like he comes of as arrogant and never takes responsibility for his loses.

• SoulKey
    SoulKey Member Posts: 338

No one should listen to Tru3, he caters for a very special proportion of the community. I respect Otz very much when it comes to the balance, i would be totally fine with him and i mainly play survivor.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

This game will never be balanced perfectly. Players with lots of experience will balance the game better for themselves than for new players.

Just imagine what would've happened if the devs asked the fog whisperers about the ruin change before it happened. I'd be nearly certain that change wouldn't have made it to the game, even though it was an excellent change.

• robotron
    robotron Member Posts: 41

He is a good killer and has been around a while but has a strong killer bias. For example, he was very against nerfing compound 21 when almost the entire community agreed it was far too powerful, and he has certain ideas on how the killer should be that would crush the survivors on the lower ranks.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Well perhaps this would be the answere. Perks change, nerfs or buffs depending on your rank. That way all ranks are happy 😀 You reach rank 8 oh DS is now 45 seconds. Oh well.

Overall I do think devs listen but there are so many opinions out there, they have to just go with what they like right or wrong.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

As someone else mentioned, the devs are much better off not listening to fog whisperers or anyone that tries to suggest to balance the game for around high ranks. A top SWF should not be required to play the game and the game should not dissolve to genrush team vs. killrush killer every match because that is the direction it is headed. In the current balance, a solo survivor does not stand a chance because they have already listened to their community and buffed killers too much and nerfed survivors too much. So I am highly recommending to the devs to stay steadfast, reverse some of their balance changes they have done, and stay true to their core concept of the game that made it popular to begin with. The devs know their game better than anyone because they created it.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

I would usually say that it's bad idea to add any game changing imput from indiviadual players no matter how good they are since we all are biased towards something we don't like or like no matter how good our intentions are.

But considering some past design choices I don't think there's that much to break. There's a lot good feedback on some of the major isses DBD so, all they have to do is pick one they like and adjust it to suit their view.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

I’m beginning to wonder if Fog Whisperers are just there to advertise the game.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
  • Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

I think the developers just need to take player behaviour into consideration when releasing perks. Take current DS for instance. The idea behind it was to be anti-tunneling, but then we see aggressive uses of it such as deliberately jumping into a locker or working on a gen infront of the killer or even going for an unhook mid-chase to force a grab.

This is the sort of thing that needs to be accounted for with future balancing decisions and perk releases.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334
  • MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

What you give is what you get! Marth once tried work with the dev team to help them balance the game, but once he realized that they weren't listening, he stopped putting in the effort and energy to even talk about balance!