Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Discordance change defeats the purpose of a PTB

Nullclines
Nullclines Member Posts: 232
edited October 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

The entire point of a PTB existing is to iron out bugs and get some feedback before they commit to a change. So why did they decide to do that for the other perks but leave out Discordance? It just paves the way for sudden backlash and potential bugs.

For some reason they kept us in the dark about this one perk and it makes no sense to me.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

It's intended that tier 3 is mapwide. They reduced the size of maps earlier this year; 96 m is mapwide,

• Speshul_Kitten
    Speshul_Kitten Member Posts: 1,861

Empathy was changed from Unlimted range to 128m. Discordance was changed from Mapwide to 98m.

• Bullettimegod
    Bullettimegod Member Posts: 994

Because discordance is "map wise" and empathy is mapwise. Thats what he is getting at. Chill.

• Speshul_Kitten
    Speshul_Kitten Member Posts: 1,861

Discordance is stronger than Empathy? I would like to say they both were balanced as is.

Comparing range is absolutely a legitimate argument, however, you trying to compare strengths even in a metaphorically sarcastic way proves absolutely nothing except filling space in a box of text.

So hypothetically speaking, since you made the comment, “Also, a Standard Killer without increased mobility would not go to a Gen which is more than 96 meters away anyway.” In a situation with 3 gens left, which happens quite often, 2 gens in close proximity and 1 97 meters away, there’s no reason I should “go to” the gen, right?

I’m glad you found my reasonable aura-reading concern as “funny” though :)

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

I also found it weird that this wasn't mentioned before the patch notes. I wish that the communication around this stuff was more transparent

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Yeah, I find that guy funny who slugs 4 people at 5 Gens and complains about minor things like that :^)

"So hypothetically speaking, since you made the comment, “Also, a Standard Killer without increased mobility would not go to a Gen which is more than 96 meters away anyway.” In a situation with 3 gens left, which happens quite often, 2 gens in close proximity and 1 97 meters away, there’s no reason I should “go to” the gen, right?"

If you let this happen, you already messed up.

I am not saying that Discordance was too strong or anything. There are better Tracking Perks anyway. But you all act like this Perk got destroyed, lol.

• Aven_Fallen

So, you agree that the impact is very little, but still make a big drama because of that?

• Aven_Fallen

I mean, they went for the same value on all Tiers when it comes to information (the good value aka 8 seconds, which is something many people asked for), and there needed to be some difference, and they went for Range.

Someone wrote in another Thread (because, you know, it is important that every issue, as minor as it is, gets at least 12 threads /s) that they should have gone for 64/96/128 meters, and I agree.

But 96 meters is more than enough for almost all Maps and for those where it would not be enough, you would need to be on the complete opposite site.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

not everything is going to be shown in the PTB. the PTB is to check for the big issues like maps that were changed, large perk changes, in order to get it fixed. I'll tell you if they aren't trying to fix things before the ptb is set and then decide that they have worked out something on another subject they will do that work but it won't have the PTB updated. if you think this is a test server like the mmo's have, then you are wrong, and if you think you're entitled to know every change coming up before it is done then you are WRONG. HOWEVER, is it good to change things and suddenly spring it on the game population or not say it at all? nope. look at what happened when the ptb was put live for the mid chapter patch. suddenly because they changed that the lights turn on immediately when you pull the door lever, people whined "why was this shadow nerfed!?" when it was the PTB and NOT the live client. no one is going to be happy so they've said that they put things on the ptb and if it isn't ready for the ptb in time that doesn't mean it's going to be held for the next big ptb test. sigh when will people stop complaining that the game isn't made the WAY THEY WANT IT and accept they have no control over the decisions? HERE NOW: I am not saying you can't complain or bring up something and ask hey was this intended? it might not have been. but stop complaining that something wasn't in the PTB thus it shouldn't have gone to the LIVE client.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

Adding range to it is unnecessary. Making the indicator cut off at 8 seconds instead of 6 (which you got with T1 Discordance) also sucks, because it means you spend more time going to a gen that may have nobody on it. If the 6 seconds was kept, that's two seconds you would gain where you know to disengage and look for a new target. Furthermore, the original Disco did a check every 6 seconds. That means if you got to the gen, chances were pretty high that it is somewhere inside of those 6 seconds and the Survivors haven't gotten very far. NOW, the Generators will be indicated longer regardless, so it's not like you really are getting that much of a notification as to who is actually on the gen. It is almost universally a nerf. The only way I can say it's NOT a nerf is if you had Disco 3, in which case this is just Disco 2 with a range stipulation and no other benefit.

Also, I know that some people didn't like the spamming audio notifications, but they were there to let you know to look. If you are chasing someone and you hear one of those, you might ignore it. Multiple times causes you to notice. I wouldn't be surprised if people ran Discordance now and basically forgot they were running it.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

what they change on Discordance? does it still make noise or gens turn yellow?

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

Each tier now extends the range of Disco, which starts at 32m. Also, instead of checking every 6/8/10 seconds, the generator will simply stay yellow until out of range or the Survivors get off. From there, it will stay yellow for 8 seconds before turning white again. Also, you will only hear a sound notification the first time a Generator that triggers Disco gets within range. After that, you no longer hear notifications for that generator until everyone gets off and back on it again.

• Freki

No the PTB is not a strict test server. They have made changes without the PTB being used or part of the loop. WHY? because they saw a problem and they fixed it. they do not have to give you crap, the PTB is a BONUS for you but most that go to the ptb would not even give their feedback about it or any problems and just come her and complain just like you. I said "the PTB is to check for the big issues" a single perk with a small range change is not something that is a big issue. to me, it is not even a worry, I don't use it all the time so why worry? you're freaking out over a small change as if your first born was sacrificed to the entity. I even showed you how trivial it is that people will come in here and complain about a change even when it's on the PTB. I mean whine really, The door change went to the ptb and people decided that it was a problem on the ptb and whined about it. you are GIVEN the chance to help them trouble shoot it, but not GUARANTEED that chance. You are the one with the attitude that you have to see everything before it's posted... many games even make changes without a PTB at all, and I'm talking about multiplayer games too. WHY? because the devs are the ones in control and they decide what gets posted and what doesn't. If you had come here and on the feedback channel said " hey bhvr, did you know there was a change to discordance? was this intended or an accident?" that'd gone over much better but here it came across "WOE IS ME!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING! THEY CHANGED THE PERK I USE AND I HAVE BEEN WRONGED!" this is why I responded as I did.

• ToxicMyers
    ToxicMyers Member Posts: 1,295

Chill out is my first request. If you are going to make a player test build, meaning you are giving players the option to test something, why give them a half finished project. It's like asking a teacher whether you did a problem right when you only showed half of what you did. It makes no sense. And like I said not telling the community about a change to good perk is really a bad idea. Suire other multiplayer don't do it but that's because they either

A get enough feedback through regular gameplay and can respond quickly

B haven't changed everything that was promised pre-patch

Let's give an example. Let's say Activision nerfs a gun on CoD and the community tells them the gun is useless. So they quickly react and have a buff made to that gun quickly.

• ToxicMyers

And where in my post was I whining? I don't use disc so idrc but it's still a change big enough to be on the ptb

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

The value of the PTB has fallen to become nothing more than marketing. They say, "Look! New graphics and balance!" or "Look! New killer!" and then are able to do it again once the patch goes live.

The last time the PTB actually had any apparent impact on game decisions was with the PTB involving Self-Care and Prove Thyself, which was loooong ago.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
  • ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

“The entire point of a PTB existing is to iron out bugs and get some feedback before they commit to a change”

lol no its not. Not for dbd anyway.

They already know what changes they’re making in advance and outside of something extremely broken they arent going to listen to feedback.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911

The range change is functionally meaningless afaik, but now Discordance 3 is finally better than Discordance 1. A good change so the perk makes sense.

• Freki

the fact you're whining that you don't get some information in a PTB that you are lucky to have. the PTB in terms of DBD is to spot BIG GLARING issues. a small range change (which btw is a single value in the database) and I doubt that changing the number to one that is close to the range of the majority of maps is not going to be an issue. how ever, if you change the maps that they want people to get in there to try and spot locations that will cause issues. it's to see how the new perks work with older perks, how the new killer powers interact with the old perks. for the PTB to be meaningful at all it needs to be active for 3-4 weeks and have a player base that will go there for that time period and instead BHVR runs it for 3 days to 1 week, and does not compensate people in ANYWAY to play on it so not many do. did you even know that the PTB has no matchmaking what so ever? there isn't even the original rank plus or minus 6. no mmr, nothing... why? they don't have enough there. so they don't have it. Now to ask you this: does CoD mobile have a test server? nope they took that away in season 11. why? who knows... the devs decided it wasn't to be. you do not own stock in bhvr, you do not gain any true say so in any case by buying the game. You CAN bring up issues, but when the OP says oh noe!!!! I can't take it when one perk wasn't used in testing. I bet you anything there were other non tested things done..

I know for a fact several things were not tested in the blight PTB time, as well as during PH's PTB and midchapter patch PTB.... you and other people here do not determine what is put on the PTB and it's not wrong for them to make changes without the PTB. be glad you get a ptb, Heck I remember when they put up the PTB to test something, people found an error in the game they removed the PTB and when they put the PTB back up things that were being tested that had nothing to do with the error was NOT in the PTB again. guess what. get over the importance you put yourself in. they have ignored people telling them that there are bugs on the PTB with content and pushed it live and never fixed it, why? they wanted it that way specifically.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    edited October 2020

👆🏽This 👆🏽is the strongest point to end the whole “...Empathy keeps its full map range” argument.

Also, as was mentioned in another post in this discussion, killers aren’t wasting time walking from one corner of the map to the other anyway.

• ToxicMyers

Last time I say it, I am not whining, i could care less about past ptbs because all you are basically saying is they give half finished products to the community to test. And yes I know there isn't matchmaking, nice assumptions like everything else you said about me in your post. If you are going to change something that will affect a majority of players yeah I do think you should tell them if it's in a ptb. Sorry not sorry

• Freki

where did I say they put half finished products to the community to test? The did not do that. they put what they thought should be on the PTB for the public to testing and went from there. I have said perhaps the discordance changes came AFTER they set up the PTB. instead of taking the ptb down and delating the mid chapter patch they just did internal testing and the numbers worked as expected and there was no question for it. if you say they don't put everything they change on the PTB is wrong then you are wining because they have never said every change will go to the PTB and infact have in the past acted alone without posting a PTB to test the changes. They put things up that they feel will need wider testing than what they do internally. a change of distance is not needed to go to a public test server and DELAY something because they decided to change it. You want everything given to you from day one, well you can keep waiting, they have said and proven that the public test build is for big changes and not tiny ones.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,475

You FOOL, I watched my wording carefully and said BIGGEST maps so technically I only included mothers dwelling, shelter woods, and disturbed ward, (biggest, bigger, big) so im technically correct which is the best kind of correct.

• RockoRango
    RockoRango Member Posts: 554
    edited October 2020

No, you’re not. As mentioned before, map sizes were equalized to 128m.

Like it or not, the fact is that Discordance got nerfed. The aura ALWAYS showed at ANY aura before the nerf (as long as the survivors are still at a gen), and they nerfed the range so that it isn’t map-wide. As well as that, level 1/2 are absolutely abysmal (32/64? Really?), and the counter of Empathy isn’t meant to be based off of power. Surveillance is likely to be definitively better than Discordance until the ranges are improved.

• bjorksnas

still gens don't spawn in a CORNER and unless you are personally standing in a CORNER opposite of the gen on the BIGGEST maps it will still proc

• Raz_
    Raz_ Member Posts: 296

are you serious? you sound like a entitled kid really. the past year devs did more for the killer side then survivor. just think about it

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035

This change is absolute bull. So pissed, discordance was one of the best anti-gen rush perks in the game. The devs are total jerks for this one

• RockoRango

If gens weren’t spread out across the map, survivors would never win the game. There are tons of spots in the game where more than one gen is in a corner/opposite end of the map (I’ve never played a game on Coldwin Farm that doesn’t have two gens in opposite corners of the map, Clown’s map almost always has a corner gen, Lery’s has gens on opposite sides of the map, Hawkins is literally just corner simulator with one or two exceptions, etc).

• Pricefield
    Pricefield Member Posts: 112

If it wasnt for licenses the poor balancing changes would have axed this game. All they had to do was reverse the numbers, but instead we got this and dear does it make you wonder what glue sniffer is in charge of balance. yes i"m being hostile, but it's because of random changes no one likes being added or OP things being in the game for so long unaddressed

• bjorksnas

96 meter radius, pi2^2, 28952.91 m^2 literally big enough to cover any map in the game and then some as long as you aren't standing in a corner, 98% of the time it will work as old discordance has, but in that 2% when you stand in a corner it and doesn't work its just on you at that point

• RockoRango

Wot?

How about this:

128-96 = 32m, exact numbers of a Trapper terror radius.

32m/128m = 25% of the map.

25% of the time, Discordance won’t proc.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, let’s say 20%. You’re still missing out on 30.4m worth of the map out of 128m, so it’s ~24% of the map.

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

To be fair, Killers have been needing a bone for a long ass time.

• Raz_
    Raz_ Member Posts: 296

they did. but my point is that this guy is acting like they do everything for survivors like what? either he is just a entitled killer main or just dont see what devs actually did over the past months for killers.

• bjorksnas
    edited October 2020

96 meter radius on discordance means that at the very least you will cover around 9/16ths of the map if you are standing in a corner doing nothing, but as you won't be doing that the likelihood of it not being able to proc goes down significantly and as long as you are 32 meters away from a wall it is map wide, but as no map is longer than 128m on any side and as they are usually smaller, it usually ends up being map wide closer to 98 or 99% of the time

• RockoRango
    edited October 2020

?

No matter what shape the map is, There will ALWAYS be 25% of the map that cannot proc. If you're 32m away from a wall, it won't proc in that whole area (+ a little extra on the sides if we assume it's a circular shape).

Also:

4.6m/s (fastest killer speed).

128m/4.6m/s = 27.8 seconds to go from one side of the map to the other.

25% of 27.8s = 6.95s.

Assuming that you're moving at 4.5 m/s (which you probably aren't on most killers), you're still 7 seconds away from Discordance procing (assuming there's a gen on the other side of the map). It may not seem like a lot, but, if you're in a chase you're not going to proc by a long shot.

• Spider175
    Spider175 Member Posts: 40
    edited October 2020

OK, firstly I didn't complain that discordance was nerfed, I said it was fine. You're claiming that we are whining cause "wE wANT gAME oUr WwaaYY" when all we said was it wasn't cool that they changed something big without saying it. You say "you think you're entitled to know every change coming up before it is done then you are WRONG." And yeah we aren't entitled to be informed of EVERYTHING but this is a big change. You claim it isn't but if it small change it would be like "we've reverse the number of seconds for discordance tiers" but instead they went "ok the perk now works within these certain conditions". A small change is adding Blood Points to For the People or making Mindbreaker last some seconds longer and they included those in the PTB. I don't believe players are entitled to know everything, but this PTB was all about testing perk changes even ones that actually were minor so why not Discordance if you're going to basically change the conditions of it. What about a massive map how is the perk affect now?

It might seem insignificant but every change in this game snowballs into a massive one because of how many variables are in the game. You consistently try to play this high road card of how we're acting like spoiled brats for bringing up things we have issues with in a game we pay for despite saying "I am not saying you can't complain or bring up something and ask hey was this intended? it might not have been. but stop complaining that something wasn't in the PTB thus it shouldn't have gone to the LIVE client." I don't know what that even means? I didn't say because something wasn't in a PTB that it shouldn't go live I just said it's dumb they didn't say anything about it. I don't think people would've complained if during the Dev Stream they brought up "oh we're actually changing Discordance too" bam no one would be upset about it. No offense but you're acting really condescending here.

• Freki

1) it's not big.

2) they did STATE it was changed

3) you are complaining they didn't give you a chance to evaluate their change before it went live.

that's my point the change isn't that big coding wise, it was stated and they DONT have to give you a public test build/server nor do they have to give you every thing on that before it goes live. that's what i've been saying lol and you think i'm talking about the change. this is where reading comprehension comes into play, please use it.

BTW: I stopped reading when you told me what I was talking about when that wasn't true.

• Spider175
    Spider175 Member Posts: 40

1) Ok, not a big change? What qualifies as a big change? You said it was "just a small range change" when it's not just that, they changed how the perk works. Originally it gives a notification every 8/10/12 seconds when two people start working on it to it stays lit for as long as two people work on it then fades after 8 seconds when they leave. A small change would be adding a range requirement then changing those original numbers but this changes how the perk works. Is it a huge nerf? No but it is a noticeable change not just a tweak. And again if small perk changes were added to a PTB for other perks.

2) You mean when they actually change it? Isn't that the equivalent of saying "you're going to have beans for lunch" as you serve beans for lunch? Saying a perk change when you change a perk isn't stating it beforehand. So... what we're supposed to be grateful that a company stated "oh this was intentional" when that should be part of their job? I don't understand why this argument with you is even a thing when you said already that it's bad to change things without letting us know which is exactly what this is. Oh but they said they changed it when they already changed it so I guess that's cool then even though it doesn't allow for actual feedback.

3) Um yeah? I mean I'm complaining that they didn't give the community a chance to look at it? Why is this a wrong thing? Why shouldn't a company behind a video game tell the people who are playing it what they are going to change about it? If you're going to include a PTB then why not actually take advantage of it. You're right maybe a PTB isn't owed to us but if they're going to do it then why not take advantage of it? A PTB is a test server, yes it is not the only test server but how about if you are going to release a PTB anyways why would you not just wait till you at least have all the features you want to include within it to see how the community reacts? Is there a downside to that? I agree with you in that the devs do not need to do everything the community requests, that would be dumb, but at the same time the community has a right to give feedback, call out issues and bugs, and YES complain the devs have the right to either take it into consideration OR ignore it.

I'm sorry if I put words in your mouth even though I'm literally copying and pasting your words from your previous posts. Maybe I didn't include the full context and maybe I'm misunderstanding you so if so I'm sorry. I've tried to read your posts here to understand your argument and maybe I've failed. And thanks for insulting my reading comprehension it really adds to your argument when you just call the other person a moron. Especially when your retort is basically saying "actually that thing you said, it's not true, end of argument".