Why is everyone so unhappy with the generosity that BHVR is showing?

Comments

• Buttercake
    Buttercake Member Posts: 1,652

Felix aint no $5 ho. You want it you gotta pay in shards. 😊

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340
  • GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,705

To be fair Felix is now available with shards, 9k of em. As well as with 1080 cells

• Unicorn
  • Unicorn

I respect your honesty and opinion. I also feel the events are regressing unfortunately but I have faith they’ll take feedback and try to make it better in the future.

And yes, shoutout to the Art/Creative Team :)

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

That's good to hear. Definitely something I'd consider getting now.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,705

I mean, I ain't the biggest Felix fan but I'm forced to admit he do be packing behind.

Still loyal to David and Wraith tho.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213

It's hard for some of us to have faith that BHVR is going to take the feedback and change how they do future events since we've been burned before. This event is worse than the previous Halloween event which was not well received on release. It was changed after backlash and criticism and BHVR said they'd do better. 😔

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I need to get a cosmetic for him that's why I want to get it.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187

I don't think I've ever seen a thread that screams World War 3 even more...

• elpoh
    elpoh Member Posts: 222

i accept the bad event at the start

and buy two skins from the new halloween collection

but they change the price to appeal with the ones who complain about how bad this event was

and there come my problem, the ones who complained now have cheaper halloween skins

but i still don't recive my price difference back

i send a ticked asking for it, and i get as answer that is not possible

so... that, the others get cheaper skins and even 9K to buy one if they dont have shards

but at the price i buy them i lose 25K

21.600 legion skin

21.600 blight skin

=43.200

and now they only cost 9K

i should get them only for 18K

i lose 25K

the free 9K i get from dailys don't give me them back

understand? for me and anything else who buy them early theres nothing free, we only lost shards

only the ones who don't buy them have something free

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I'm a bit on both sides.

The biggest part of the generosity came because the community was unhappy.

That said I do believe the outrage is a bit over exaggerated. I am enjoying the new addons and the fact that you can buy whatever you want with the shards more then makes up that you only can get one skin.

This is the first event where people who don't care for cosmetics are able to use the reward to get a chapter for free

• IleOddity
    IleOddity Member Posts: 7

I don't know if I'm the best source. I'm always happy when they do anything. I like the fun items they add every time. The skins are cool

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

thing with this is they may not be able track who got it at full price who got it now.like most thing they can't track thing well so if anything they give a lot more shards to everyone or they do nothing how I see it.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

I think what DBD needs is a competitor which right now seems Phasmophobia is starting to come close

• madamretto
    madamretto Member Posts: 364

Stop bullying and blame devs already! 😭Or they might have to rethink their choices and maybe give even more free stuff out of guilt😱Is this what you want, huh?! You criminal scum! 🤣

• David_Leon
    David_Leon Member Posts: 33

I don't blame the devs for all the problems that DbD owns (bad servers sync, broken hitboxes, bad matchmaking, stuck character bugs, bad anti cheat software, DC penalties on serves DC or game crashes, horrible map reworks with insane FPS drops, no FX and aspect change video options, no options to disable playing against survivor SFW, not enough killer camping / tunneling penalties, shadownerfs, unprofessional PC/console testing before releasing content, etc etc).

I blame the person who thinks that releasing paid content instead fixing the problems is a better idea (giving some skins for free on h'ween was like a gentle and nice tradition). All of this is like a snowball effect and many players are tired of this bad BHVR company behaviour.

I feel bad for those people that are getting all the rage or being negatively affected when they aren't responsible (the twitter person, the art team, the sound team, some forum mods, etc).

🙏❤️👻

• BigHat
    BigHat Member Posts: 97

It says specifically on the agreement that there are no refunds ever for things purchased in the store. Also event aside completely breaking console/low end pc frame rate sure didnt help the situation

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Atleast the skins are amazing.

Blight and Legion are just *chef kiss*

Almost makes up for that hidious unicorn charm

• Hidon
    Hidon Member Posts: 27

Excuse you? GENEROUSITY? You do know what company you're talking about? The ones that lock skins and charge more? The ones that are now not giving skins for HALLOWEEN y'know? The biggest event for a HOROR GAME, that they gave free skins for playing previously? The sheer GREED is showing and yet they think a cost reduction is the same or a way to apologise? Its not good enough and they know that. Idk how they're still making money when they're this blatant that they only want you for money and not to grow the game and community.

• Enlyne
    Enlyne Member Posts: 429

These two are quite the arguments.

You do pay for the base game which has a battle pass, yes, like almost every other game nowadays except they're free to play to begin with, and offer actual premium currency in their free tracks aswell, BHVR couldn't be bothered to even put normal shards in a small amount to fill some spots, it's barebones at best, hell, the rift is grindier than any other games I've played that have a pass, and they're exploiting that.

They decided to remove actual events from the game to give us more crappy grind to begin with, even more on top of the bloated bloodweb, untouched and useless 1M bp cap which does nothing for the players other than limit your reserves.

Actual unbalanced perks have been frowned upon recently because "escape rate is low" yes, y'all know which perk I'm talking about, they don't know their own game, let alone how to treat a community decently.

The event we have here is a literal paywall grindfest, there's nothing to enjoy that's even remotely different from what everyone here is used to already, this is not being good to their player base, it's mocking them.

DLCs upon DLCs upon paid cosmetics etc etc, they're pulling wallets out of everything and expect to do so again and again, and you wonder why people are upset they can't have a single good event?

You should get it right.

• RocketPenguin
    RocketPenguin Member Posts: 374

because people basically got scammed out of shards

• MargretAtWalmart
    MargretAtWalmart Member Posts: 163

The charms and stuff are really cute and I personally want to finish the rift just for the Legion skin and unicorn charm but this isn't really an event.... It COULD be if they made it so you could collect the serum like you normally could during the event or so the visceral cankers spawned naturally during the event and you could get serum from those. And I'm also really pissed though with how they did the killer addon! You can't use your power until you use the addon, you can't hit while using the addon and you cant even use the addon after the event! If I were to do something to the addon I would either remove it and make it so every time a killer hooked a survivor on a cankerous hook you gained the ability to use the lunge or I would make it so you could use your power and the addon separately. As for the survivor items and addons..... They really aren't that good (Except the serum) The medkit is just a yellow medkit that Blendettes will never use because it exposes you from 10 years away, the flashlight is literally just a yellow flashlight with a ghost effect you barely see and the addon makes it harder to blind the killer. I like all of the concepts of the Halloween event items and addons but most of them aren't that good 🤷. Again, I loved the skins and unicorn charm but that really isn't an event at all. We can buy the skins any time and the visceral cankers spawn with a challenge which makes this event just... not really existent? There's nothing special to do (again, visceral cankers don't count since you can do the rift any time and thus spawn them in any time), the items and addons aren't anything special and once again killers get the short end of the stick in terms of the event.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,413

Its because they think they are entitled to better when they most certainly aren't, and even when they are thrown a bone they complain they didn't get the whole skeleton

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703

That isn't the main reason people were upset. People were upset at the event being "horrible" and not being able to grind for cosmetics. So, BHVR responded by discounting the new cosmetics and giving people enough shards that through a combination of playing during the event and logging in every day you should be able to get two free cosmetics, just like in years past. That was honestly a perfectly good and decent response, and that was AFTER the initial outcry. That then caused the issue of the people who bought the skins at full price before they had been discounted, which is definitely an issue, but which was only the RESULT of the complaining this post is talking about, not the CAUSE of the complaining this post is talking about.

• notstarboard
    edited October 2020

This response is exactly the kind of entitlement this post is talking about, so it's pretty discouraging to see how many upvotes it has. Many games, even online multiplayer games, do not offer seasonal events. Many games, even online multiplayer games, do not get nearly the same amount of new content that DBD does. If this were some AAA monstrosity like Call of Duty, you'd better believe that maps would be tied to DLCs and you would be prevented from playing on maps like Hawkins without buying the appropriate DLC. There is not a snowball's chance in hell you'd be able to buy entire DLCs with in-game currency either. If a perk launched that was badly balanced, would they fix it? No, they'll just design it differently in the sequel. All you're getting are bug fixes until the next game comes out, even though you paid AAA money for the game. I could go on, but you get the point. Behaviour is actually pretty generous in a lot of ways.

When you look at it like that, the hissy fit that many community members threw about this event is honestly pretty pathetic. Imagine being mad that Behaviour wouldn't give you skins for free and because the event, which many games wouldn't have put on in the first place, wasn't as transformative to gameplay as it was in years past. Imagine calling them greedy for just releasing cool skins and expecting to be paid for their work. The horror of commerce.

No one needs to buy these skins just because they exist. I just can't bring myself to fault Behaviour for selling cosmetics for prices that people are willing to pay. They have every incentive to make the most amount of money possible through DLCs and cosmetics, as that is what allows them to support the game long term. If the way they make the most money is to sell $10 skins because people are willing to buy them, I am all for it. Many people won't buy the skins at that price, but the people who will are effectively just shouldering DBD's development costs for the people who won't. Seems fair enough to me... Should Behaviour just give away all of the their cosmetics, or sell them for like 5 cents a pop? At least we'll be looking fly when they announce they're stopping development on DBD because it's no longer profitable and they're instead starting work on DBD 2.

If this were pay to win, as in, you buy a $10 cosmetic that gives you a Harry Potter-style invisibility cloak that lets you hide from the killer, I would be furious. This is just cosmetics, though. They are not necessary to play the game in the slightest and you will only ever buy them if they are worth the price to you. If the community doesn't like the price of the cosmetics, then stop buying them! That is the only reason Behaviour will ever have to make them cheaper. In the meantime, let's stop complaining about getting free things.

<3

• notstarboard

Well, would you rather have had no event? That's what I mean by entitlement. Many games don't do this kind of stuff at all, so it frustrates me to see people complaining about the event not being fun enough or not giving them enough free stuff. I 100% agree it's not the world's most fun event. I much preferred the 2018 event. I am still grateful for the free shards / BP, the cool event items and add-ons, the Halloween gens & hooks, and the pustules when I have a rift challenge for them.

• Unicorn

Being insulted and disrespected isn’t criticism. Please stop acting like you don’t see the comments in the thread. You included, came at me strongly telling me to “wake tf up” basically insinuating I’m delusional for having an opinion. Maybe approach people respectfully and you won’t get a useless effortless response. You’re not innocent here.

• notstarboard
    edited October 2020

Why is this not a case of the community getting too used to things? Last year's event having up to two grindable cosmetics does not mean that every event until the end of time needs to have two grindable cosmetics. Hell, it doesn't mean there has to be an event at all. I don't see how it's right to complain, especially in as whiny of a manner as the majority of related posts of the forum, about not receiving enough free stuff from a company.

Imagine going to the duck pond to feed the ducks and having a duck attack you for not bringing as much bread as last time... like come on

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

I think comparing the relationship between purchasers of a multiplayer game and developers of said game with feeding wildlife is simplistic, to put it mildly

• notstarboard

It's meant to be simplistic. I'm curious to get your thoughts on whether or not it's reasonable to complain about not receiving enough free content from a video game that did not promise you free content when you purchased it, though.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Me telling you to "wake tf up" is me saying that you need to realize that this isn't a matter of opinion. Bhvr DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU or anyone else in this community. You need to stop defending huge corporations that care about nothing but your wallet.

People like you defending them is only making them think that it's ok to treat the community like #########.

• Unicorn

You’re speaking as if they outright told you they don’t care about the community. You say this “isn’t a matter of opinion” yet everything you just said is AN OPINION just like everything I said is. What you said is not fact, there is no written proof, no word of mouth, no type of documents stating such from BHVR themselves. I just find it contradicting that you think they’re so evil and treat people like crap yet you’re still playing their game. If a company treated me like crap, I would not continue being a patron. It makes no sense.

And, I’m not outright defending them, I’m defending their act of generosity because they are generous. I play lots of game, I know generosity when I see it. Like I said, don’t complain about getting a crap response from me when you approach me aggressively and disrespectful.

• carnage4u
    carnage4u Member Posts: 338

This really is the perfect storm of an entitled community vs a company trying to enhance profits. Both sides have issues. The company did make some adjustments, which many seem are fair, (and maybe it is) but some "fans" will never late the hate and anger die down, because of reasons. Maybe they take out all their stress in life on the devs of this game. who knows.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

I'm less concerned about the free stuff (which is still always earned in some way, whether that's playtime or your wallet) and the lack of any effort into any sort of event, which helps attract and retain players, when other non-horror games are doing them and bhvr is capable of doing, based on previous events and the amount of income they get from dbd.

They don't -have- to give us events, or anything fun at all. But not doing so will likely speed up this game's decline, which isn't something I want to see. But empty, monetised events are only a part of that.

• Unicorn
    edited October 2020

They do, yet they still support the company. Its all fake hype/hate. They follow the trends of hating BHVR because its the energy everyone has right now and they’re too intimidated to have their own voice and stop following the trends. Its the embodiment of “NYA NYA”. Then when someone like me who isn’t afraid to speak my mind and have a different echo, I’m *insert lame insult here*, *insert boot-licking reference here*, *insert disrespect here*. Its absolutely absurd.

Edit: typo

• notstarboard
    edited October 2020

That's a fair point. I'm not really concerned about a weak event causing the game to decline personally, especially compared to very serious deterrents to playing like the frame rate on console and lower-end PCs. Some people are pointing to the recent drop in player totals as an "oh no the game is dying", but I see that more of a reversion to the baseline; we had Silent Hill + the 4th anniversary, summer vacation, and the Blight DLC bumping up play counts through pretty much the whole summer.

People definitely tune in specifically for events, but I don't think that many people who already regularly play the game would leave the game over a sub-par event (or just not having one at all). In theory the game is fun for people, and if so, people will play it. If people are not having fun and only playing during events because the progression system is addicting and they want to earn as much BPs and shards as they can, or something, that's a real problem.

I do agree that some level of new content is important for bringing new players into the game, but I think DLCs are way more important than events on that front.

• WTBacon
    WTBacon Member Posts: 593

An opinion being common doesn't invalidate it. Your opinion being different doesn't make it better.

• Unicorn

I never said it was invalidated, I said people don’t have their own voice and literally feed off of others energy. Scroll through the thread and see all the people who came in here just to insult me because others were also insulting me. No opinion, no actual constructive discussion.

My opinion is AN OPINION, not a fact, not right, not wrong.

This discussion has been closed.