You gotta do something about camping/tuneling

2»

Comments

• stubbornDwarf
    stubbornDwarf Member Posts: 42

I agree in some parts, but you see, I don't blame the players for it. The game offer ways for players to be toxic and reward toxic gameplay (i.e., camping, tunneling, etc.). Sometimes the killers are good people indeed, but they decide to camp because it is a very viable strategy and sometimes it is easier to do just that. So my suggestion here is that the devs should look at this more seriously, because they are reinforcing toxic behavior and the environment of their own game becomes more and more toxic.

And to change that you don't need to do anything radical you know. Just offer more incentives for the killers to stay away from the hook and/or implements small punishments if they stay close.

• stubbornDwarf

A fair point. But what I mean by being rewarded is killing survivors, not gaining BP. Because let's be honest, when I play as a killer I don't keep counting BP or do things just to gain BP. I try to kill as many survivors as possible. At this point that I am in the game, I don't care that much about BP. So playing as a killer, in a match where I find it difficult to hook any survivor, if I hook one why in hell will I leave the first hooked survivor? Even in terms of BP I am just gonna lose BP if I get no survivors at all. It is risky. So I stay near the hooked survivor just waiting for another one to come by and I try to kill this other survivor. Even if the rest of the party is very good, genrush, and open the gate, eventually they will try to unhook the hooked survivor, especially if they have BP. Then when they get to the hook I try to kill them or I just down the survivor that just left the hook, because it is just a lot easier. You see now why the killer is rewarded? It is a lazy strategy that just makes the game easier for them particularly in matches against group of survivors that are very good. No wonder DS and BP are top-tier meta perks, if tunneling and camping were not so common these perks won't be so useful.

• FellowKillerMain
    FellowKillerMain Member Posts: 858

I main killer, and am not a very good survivor. I was able to empathize with this sentiment when I first started. Once I got better at survivor (only took a couple of weeks to loop red rank killers) the camping and tunneling actually made my increased skill that much more rewarding. Honestly, the best times I've had as survivor, and the worst as killer have been when survivors manage to save their friend AND escape a camping/tunneling killer.

• Chinanumawaaan
    Chinanumawaaan Member Posts: 131
    edited October 2020

Another dumb post (because you assumed the devs care).

Gen rush harder to counteract the loss of enjoyment.

I just solved the balance issue.

• stubbornDwarf

Another brilliant player trying to teach me how to play, like this is what I am complaining about: that I lose a lot. Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge with me, but no thanks I am gonna stick with my feedback. And speaking of feedback, I think that you are in the feedback section, and I think that the definition of dumb is to go to a feedback section and call people dumb because they are giving their feedback.

Why is there a feedback section if devs don't care? I don't know. Why someone comes to a feedback section to complain about others' feedback? Even more mysterious.

But you know what, you may be right, but if you are right and the devs really don't care, that is too bad for them. Games have a lot to gain when the feedback of the players is taken into account.

• Chinanumawaaan

This guy. Bro watch some streamers and if its all too hard use spine chill ok. Us survivors have it so good in this game you have no idea.

I will add however, NOED is a plague especially in lower ranks. Focus on nailing those totems to counter it. The emphasis im trying to make is counterplay and where your skills lack there are perks that can make up for your flaws. Do be warned, playing with spine chill will hinder your ability to play without it so use it as training wheels is my suggestion. Thats my feedback for you.

• stubbornDwarf

Bruuu I already use spine chill, I have played this game long enough ok? Look at my first match today (I swear this was my first match today). Look how fun!! The killer spent the whole game face camping.

• Chinanumawaaan

I like how you crop the picture so we cant see the stage of the game. The gates are open what more do you want?

• stubbornDwarf

I crop that to hide my discord. The killer started doing that with 1 gen left to do.

• Chinanumawaaan

So that red mark on the ground and cinder in the air is just a glitch? or is it consistent with the gates being open?

As Trump would say, "fake news"

• stubbornDwarf

Omg. Dude, I said that the killer started doing that when 1 gen was left. And I said that I did the cropping to hide my discord. This true weather you believe it or not. But I didn't deny that the screenshot was taken after the gates were open because when I decided to take the pic yeah the gates were opened, but I didn't want to hide that.

• stubbornDwarf

Oh, you got me, Sherlock. I said that the killer *started* doing that when 1 gen was left. And I said that I cropped the pic to hide my discord. Those two things are true, whether you believe it or not. And yes the picture was taken after the gates were opened but I was not trying to hide that. Lots of people complain about camping and tunneling here, this happens all the time, I don't need to falsify a picture to prove that. And if that did not happen often I wouldn't have started this thread in the first place, don't you think?

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 650

So basically your advice on how to solve this guys complaint is only play with an aggressive SWF team, because everyone else can just suffer. Because upping your game as a solo is never going to combat the hard-core tunnels in 3/4 of the games. A little over 2 years and 2000 hours ago I was winning and losing about 50/50, these days my rank is much better and I can play half a dozen games and get out of maybe 1 or 2. I don't think for one minute that my game play skills have somehow grown way worse since I was a new player. Tunneling is a plague on this game and should be dealt with. I don't even think major changes need to take place. I think Borrowed Time should not be a perk bit a base kit item for every survivor, basically making tunneling more difficult with a lower pay-off. It at least gives the survivor a chance to get farther than their feet touching the ground before they are down again.

• stubbornDwarf

Well said. This argument is very common from people that for some reason don't want that changed. So they just come with this rhetoric to dismiss your argument by saying that the problem is not with camping/tunelling the problem is in the lack of skills from those that complain about it.

• DaddyFatSacks420
    DaddyFatSacks420 Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2020

This post is just a troll trap, poster is trolling all of us. Can’t believe I fell for it

• Chinanumawaaan

Great, more ideas to support bad play. Hate to break it to you but surviving a match is not the same as winning. Just like a killer getting kills does not equate to a win. If you PIP, you win. if you break even, you draw and if you derank you lose.

The problem is imbedded in the game design and simplicity in killer mechanics. See, chase, kill. A lion doesnt kill the strong prey that they cannot catch, they pick off the weak. This is exactly the same scenario. Survivors demanding more tools to further increase their margin for error is the easy way out for the devs and should not be encouraged. Survivors have it too good as it is. The current state of the game only trades 1 survivors bad experience for 1 killers. Them getting gen rushed is not fun, their lack of enjoyment is now your problem. Deal with it. Don't like it? Demand better variety for killers and their perks, especially when they dont have the pay to win DLC perks that are somewhat essential at higher ranks.

This whole forum is literally waaaaaah I am sad I didnt get to abuse endless loops against a killer. You as a survivor have a ridiculous amount of utility to succeed, stop demanding more.

• stubbornDwarf

I am not trolling anyone. I just gave my feedback in the feedback section. But other people decided to lecture me on how to play the game. I am just tired of every time that someone gives feedback about camping and tunneling, undercover killer-mains rush to say that those people are just crying noobs. These are the true trolls in this forum. Just read the comment right below you.

• rook10682
    rook10682 Member Posts: 23

I can say very clearly...that I don't camp a survivor I hook....UNLESS the survivors who are FREQUENTLY on comms...try doing SEAL team stuff and are rushing my ass before I even hook them...at that point, they are too bold, and I am not going to deliberately walk away...because the entire reason to do so is in the shadows just a few steps away...or the survivors are up my butt...If you think something needs to be done about camping, its the only defense I have as a killer when they do this (More than half the time when you hit rank 15 too)....I am not going to walk away and pretend I don't see you right there...I have had people gripe me out in chat for camping when they are all CLEARLY on comms which is an unfair advantage that was not really built into the balance of the game....its cheese tactics....just like face camping is...its dirty pool, but when people act all pissed off because I didn't "play to the strategy that they trained themselves to handle" it really pisses ME off. If you can't adapt your strategy then you have a problem. Some of these SEAL team coms using A holes that I have to run into...I will GLADLY cheese victory just even if it is to kill ONE of these people to send them a message...if YOU want to cheese tactic...then so will I....if you play with sportsmanship....then so will I...PERIOD....

I honestly think RANKED matches should force survivors to work with random people every time to prevent that comms SEAL teams that turn the game into JUST as unenjoyable pile of crap as it is to be hooked and camped...so people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones man...I have seen JUST as much cheese coming from the survivors and you all get butthurt when we throw a little cheese back your way...

• Chinanumawaaan

Bro at the highest level of this game SURVIVOR mains say survivors are too overpowered. Just because people like you are butt hurt that you got outplayed and refuse to balls up and adapt. The sense of entitlement survivor mains are the same kids who got participation awards for coming last. Stop being an underachiever and learn to overcome challenges instead of crying about it. In the state that the game is, a killer main is a very rare thing I can assure you of that and you know what? Maybe thats why you get tunneled and camped, they cant be ######### investing time into getting clapped every game or abused for slaughtering lil brain survivors.

• alaenyia

This game has been killer-sided for quite some time, nearly all changes that have occurred over the last year were pro-killer. Survivors have gotten every perk and add-on nerfed into oblivion. Some medkits aren't even good for a single heal, toolboxes are useless, "insta" heal takes 16 seconds (not very insta), most pallets are now unsafe, a bunch of openings have been turned into breakaway doors blocking passages (and survivors have no way to break one, of course).

It is not bad play on the part of the survivor being tunneled, they have no way of out playing a killer standing there to down them again. Tunneling takes no skill it is an easy play for a lazy player. There should be an opportunity for the fresh offhook to move away from the hook. And being able to take one extra hit is not like a game ender, I have had BT plenty of times and just been run down by a determined tunneler. So if they are set on playing super toxic, the option is still there.

• alaenyia

I have encountered bad survivors while playing killer and been frustrated by them, but I will say I see and/or get tunneled in probably 2 out of 3 matches. I encounter toxic BM survivors in maybe 1 in 10 matches. It is by no means tit for tat here. And I am counting toxic behavior from survivors I see when I am playing killer and survivor. Ultimately there is not much a survivor can do to a killer, be fire with a flashlight I guess. That gets old quick, but really it is not nearly as prevalent.

• rook10682

So...like to my point earlier...is it not also unfair and unsportman like for so many of these survivor groups to run around in groups of 4 that are all super connected on comms? The game specifically has no in game communication because it wasn't balanced on the survivors being able to communicate info like a SEAL team...without making a sound...they become insanely efficient, and it is a cheese tactic. When I am getting cheesed I will happily give the low blow man...I hate when Survivors don't even consider that their normal method of play on comms in insanely unbalancing and then they have the nerve to gripe about a killer who is sick of that deciding to just END one of you once and for all? It's not what I want to do...but also...right now...I am like at Rank 15 and of my last 5 matches, I didn't go up against ANYONE that was lower rank than 8....lol....no balance on skill there at all...I'm not the best killer...I try to play nice and It keeps me losing when I get to 15...so once in a while I just think it's nice to ruin someone else's gameplay as much as they CONSISTENTLY mess up and ruin mine...because of comms...

Just saying...don't bring up camping and tunneling if you don't at the same time admonish the survivors for all the toxic cheese things THEY do...because you aren't going to gain the moral high ground if your own nest isn't clean...survivors aren't trying to stop the comms...so killers don't need to stop doing what they need to do...that is life...

• alaenyia

Well 1st I am a solo player and have never once played in a 4 man team. I do occasionally play with my sister and we form a 2 person group but that is my max. 2nd in released statistics under 10% of matches have a 4 man SWF, so this narrative that squads of survivors are attacking killers is just not all that common. And a negative behavior of another type or from another group does not negate the negative behavior being discussed in this thread. So even if you dislike SWF, that does not make tunneling ok. It is a separate issue that may also need dealt with.

• alaenyia

What you are probably getting is seasoned players who know the map and the plays. Just because a team is playing cohesively does not mean they are together or talking to each other. Most players who are on here a lot get to know what the next steps should be and execute them. I have had amazing games with total randos because we just worked together to get the stuff done and cover each other without ever being in any kind of verbal contact. I think killers are quick to call people a team when really they are just individually good at this game.

• rook10682

I've never seen this data before, its not hosted on DBD site so far as I can tell...and my point is not to say that there is just bad behavior on both sides...it is to say that I...personally...will hand out a load of cheese to ANY group that is obviously cheesing me. I don't act first, or assume it...but when you load in to the match and see 4 players with the same TTV tags...its pretty much a certainty they are in comms. Again, I don't cheese them unless they are obviously up my butt when I am trying to hook someone, before they could even know where they were...its just real obvious when they have super organized groups...

to clarify...I am speaking as a killer main...I am throwing my 2 cents in saying that I have to cheese a LOT because I KEEP running into this problem...but I don't draw first blood...but it is usually THOSE same people who are obviously in an organized SWF group that chew me out in game, and I imagine they are usually the type to come and post a similar complaint here...I am ADDING to the convo...that in while we are talking about the un-sportsman like behavior of tunneling and camping...that maybe we add SWF SEAL teams too..because THEN it's fair...its not "TEAR DOWN THE KILLER" It changes into "make the game more fun for all sides" and that to me seems to make more sense...this original post would paint a picture that the killers are just A$$Hats that play to ruin someone's day and that there isn't just as bad behaviors coming from the survivor camp too...you can't presume to want to fix one side without fixing the other, could you?

Surely you don't actually think that my solution to this was going to be to say one side is acting bad, so the other side is justified, did you? I am pointing out that the ENTIRE side...NOT JUST KILLERS does have problems with un-sportsment like conduct, and...gee...wouldn't it be nice if we could get fixes for all sides and stop calling out for fixes on JUST ONE side?????

• Chinanumawaaan
    edited November 2020

This is exactly the problem with survivors. Some get it, some don't. I have played 4 games today with a friend (party of 2) and I can confidently say that the reason we didnt escape was due to the randos burning crucial pallets around end game generators, opening the doors with a teammate hooked and just general bad play. I honestly don't understand how survivors can expect to win when they squander their resources and back a killer into a play style they find unpleasant.

With 4 of us alive and 1 on hook, they opened the door and left, I died on my first hook. Killer camped hook because why not? He got 2k after my friend attempted a save, heals and easily half the gens were done by us. I died, still got a double PIP and my friend got 1 also. GG to the Oni wp, he prob didnt PIP but he got at least 6 hooks. The fact that the other 2 were botting and probably still PIP'd amazes me while the Oni likely had nothing to show for it.

Ironically its the survivors that dictate the pace of the game, the urgency is on the killer and they are provided no resources other than preying on the flaws of the game and poor play of survivors. I got hooked because I didnt fast vault the window to utilise my Lithe perk. Emphasis on I, it was ME that made the error. I can admit that mistake and due to the timing of the game I paid for it. Funny thing is that I lost nothing, nor did I lose. So what is all the fuss about you sooks.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Please don't put words into my mouth. I never mentioned a SWF. I play Solo Que myself. I didn't offer any advice, because the OP didn't ask for any. He simply demanded what he wanted to happen and lamented his lot in the game. I don't get tunneled and camped 3/4 of my games, so I find it somewhat dubious when I hear people claim that. I know a lot of people who play and that number simply doesn't add up. At some points people have to start taking responsibility for their own losses, and quit trying to blame them on other Players or the game.

• Moundshroud

The problem is you are confusing an "argument" with a "fact." This is the game. The DEV have stated time and time again that camping, tunneling, slugging, and the Mori are part of the game. They have stated that they are valid tactics. I'm not making an argument, I'm simply restating the reality of the game. Facts are used to support an argument. I haven't made one. I offered you advice. I suggest that people who seem to want to scapegoat their problems on the game or other players are missing the forest for the trees.

Remember, the first step is admitting you have a problem. You, for example, in another discussion we had refused to admit even to the "possibility" that your play style might be part of your problem. According to you, you are a perfect player who has no room for improvement. It isn't you that is crazy, it is the rest of the world. Do you see my point? There are games I lose all the time. I don't look for excuses, I look for solutions that "I" can implement. It is a better use of your time.

Otz has a great video on how not to get tilted playing this game; I strongly suggest you (and anyone else having a problem) watch it. Great advice is out there on how to keep your composure and how to get better at this game. Surely you don't compare yourself to Otz? I can understand why you might not think "I" have anything to aid you with, but surely you would admit that Otz, Monto, StalkyBoi, and their lot can give you some pointers that might (just might) help you out?

We all get camped, tunneled, slugged, and the Mori from time to time. It seems to be happening more often because you don't remember the times it doesn't. You fixate on the negative. Consider this:

1. It isn't happening as much as you think, or SAY it is.
    2. You do have to accept responsibility that you are part of the equation.
    3. It is YOU who are making an argument, not those of us who have accepted the way the game works.

If you want to take some time and be extremely bored, go back through the posts let's say a year or two and count HOW MANY threads there are that sound just like yours and the OP of this one. See if you can find a day that goes by without there being someone sounding like a broken record. The answer is always the same. It isn't going to change.

• DaddyFatSacks420
    DaddyFatSacks420 Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2020

I’ll reiterate, if the biggest problems you’re having have to do with being downed and stuck on the hook, find a way to incorporate some perks to help in those particular situations. Breakdown can be extremely useful to help keep survivors from being hooked immediately after an unhook. And the whole point of exhaustion perks is to help survivors get away from killers (seeing your own scratch marks gives your some info that doesn’t change anything, they are there whether you can see them or not).

I just googled “have an issue but refuse to change anything you do, while demanding others change to fix it” and the second thing that comes up is an article on toxic people. It’s already been said but if you always find yourself in these toxic situations then you are the constant.

Post edited by DaddyFatSacks420 on
  • Chinanumawaaan
    edited November 2020

You are being simple. Its a low level strategy along with the likes of NOED. You have exposed yourself and appear to have plateaued in the tanned ranks.

Low rank players often leave feedback on the game, I have been guilty of this myself only to see how foolish it would have looked to experienced players. Tunneling without good reason is detrimental to the killers time and rank and is only a viable tactic when it is efficient, if you experience this often, you are likely efficient to tunnel. That being said. There is an issue with the game. Killers are too weak and are sometimes forced into this tactic. Will the devs change it? Likely not. They've made their money.

Furthermore, its only toxic for you. And you sooking about not getting your way doesnt help YOU overcome your flaws. Maybe turn off the computer, go outside and gaze upon the world in which you live and ask yourself - why is the rain so toxic for ruining this beautiful sunshine from time to time?

Also this is the lil brain of most survivors (he had a key). No hate, just fact (see screenshot).

Post edited by Chinanumawaaan on
  • Killbutton
    Killbutton Member Posts: 87

I think all these issues, both from the survivor and killer standpoint, would be fixed with a reimagining of the game.

• eiredrake
    eiredrake Member Posts: 98

From a killer's perspective.

Why the hell would I stop chasing an already wounded survivor when I could down them and hook them and move on? That's like a wolf biting a deer and then rather than killing the thing it stops and goes nah I'm gonna go after this perfectly healthy fast running deer instead.

Alternatively, some survivors can be so irritating in their behavior that killing them off as quick as possible is the only way to have a decent game as killer. Explosion spammers, clickers, flashlighting #########, map hole exploiters, and teabaggers get what is coming to them. Piss me off and I don't care how many points I lose I will hook and face camp you until you rage quit.

But I don't do it because it's fun. I could be off actually playing the game and getting more points. So the solution is: don't be a freaking #########.

That said, I am not going to chase some rando to the ends of the map if I have a better alternative and they haven't pissed me off. I'm not going to go around the same car eighty times either. I'm not chasing someone to be a dick. You survivors need to realize that you leave freaking glowing scratch marks, make wounded moaning noises and are on most maps (unlike that Western Town map) are the only other thing moving.

If all I see is one survivor running, leaving scratch marks all over the place exactly what the heck else do you expect me to go after? Sticking you on a hook is literally the goal in front of me.

• eiredrake
    eiredrake Member Posts: 98

Some of my most challenging matches have been against SWF. There's nothing wrong with it in general. If the survivors start acting like jackasses just to dick with the killer THEN it becomes a problem. But just because Bill, Bob, Sally and Johnny can all talk together and strategize isn't a bad thing.

• alaenyia

"You will, in time, up your game to deal with it and/or get a team of other Survivors who know how to work with you to do so." -Moonshroud. This is the exact quote from the post I referenced, so you did indeed recommend a SWF. I am not putting words in your mouth but referencing your exact statement. And playing toxic/lazy/cheap, although not outright banned, should not be encouraged. The devs should be doing something to discourage it. With all the added features that are pro-killer I think coming down on the lazier plays, like tunneling, is not asking too much.

• Moundshroud

Again, you keep trying to put an inference in my words that is not there. Break down what I said again.... I started with:

"You will, in time, up your game to deal with it..." (which indicates that first an foremost I think he will become a better player).

I continue with:

"And/or get a team of other Survivors who know how to work with you to do so." (I am not talking about a SWF. If you were took back through my posts throughout this Forum you will find I am not a fan of the SWF. I play Solo Que. As you get better and improve your Rank, you end up getting more people in the match with you that KNOW what they are doing. They will know how to work with you. When you are a newbie, basically Ranks 12-20, it is up in the air whether you will get support from your teammates or not. In this context it is clear that I"m talking about going into the match with other Survivors who are capable. You keep looking for something YOU want to hear that isn't there. If I mean SWF, I would say SWF, and talk at length about their 5th Perk (Comms).

This game isn't pro-Killer or pro-Survivor. There are no sides outside an individual match. We are all Players taking part in the same game. Most people do end up playing both sides. Your views on what is and isn't "toxic/lazy/cheap" are irrelevant because (so far) all the things you have chosen to label thus have been designated as valid by the DEV. Just like the OP, you seem hellbent on blaming the problems of Survivors on other Players or the game itself. I would urge you, just like I urged the OP, to own your own results. You earned them; that is the long and the short of it. All of us facing camping, tunneling, slugging, and the Mori from time to time. Most people soldier through it, recognizing it to be just part of the game. So, quit trying to put words in my mouth, and start stating and supporting your own case.

• alaenyia
    edited November 2020

Do you not understand what a SWF (Survive with Friends) is? You totally suggest he play with others, a SWF, and then tell me you did not say that. Playing with others, not solo, is a SWF. There is no play with others that are stangers, that is just solo. And your rando team mates in matches are a total crap shoot. I have red rank survivors in my matches all the time that can't do anything but hide. I have overly bold ones that just flashlight click everyone till they are dead. Playing with strangers may up your game but because you have to learn to be more self-sufficient.

• Moundshroud

Reading comprehension is a thing; look into it. And for the record, it is possible to work well with other Solos who know what they are doing. People do it all the time. :)