Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Blight Changes

Spider175
Spider175 Member Posts: 40
edited November 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

I've been putting in roughly probably many many many hours solely on Blight lately and love him (though lately been going through a rough patch of games but that's besides the point). He's probably my favorite killer, he's the most interactive killer in the roster and is both a strategic/improvisational killer due to the nature of his power. HOWEVER, he's also, in my humble opinion, in dire need of some changes and considering Behaviour are implementing the idea of reworking recently released killers a few months down the line, I figured I'd make my case on some changes to help him become less frustrating starting with:

General Changes:

1. Please please please please please... give the blight virtually no hitbox upon slamming into an object. Currently, one of the Blight's biggest annoyances is the finnickiness of trying to use his power quickly. If you see a survivor at a corner and want to slam into a tree at that corner and then turn to the right or slam quickly into a wall and then go into lethal rush, if you even slightly initiate a rush too early you will simply slam into the same wall again. This is most obvious at doorways, if you slam into the door and during that "bounce" animation you try to rush, you will simply slam into the doorway again even if you aren't looking at it which is incredibly infuriating. I'm not sure if this is meant to balance his ability, but for a power that already punishes you heavily for missing/wasting it, being punished for a quick decision which could potentially result in a hit is incredibly punishing for a potentially good play. Please, when you slam into an object and do the bounce animation and maybe 1 second into the rush, make the Blight's hit box much smaller so Blight players who can make a quick plan of attack can actually do so. Moving on though there is the bigger but more vague issue.
  2. Please look into car/small round object hit boxes. I understand that the Blight on the PTB was borderline unplayable due to how overly sensitive his hitbox was to environment objects. It was really frustrating and I prefer this Blight's smaller hitbox to the old one. Yet, there are so many situations where you will flat out just slide off an object you want to bounce off of. As said before, this character's ability punishes you severely if you misuse it which is a good thing with a power this strong but also aggravates any flaw in the game's design. I have lost entire chases due to this because often you will count on bouncing off a certain object and when you don't you just won't have anything else to bounce off of which results in a wasted power use. You look down, survivor is gone, you have to start all over again. I know this is probably a much more complicated issue than it seems but I pray that you are looking at this because this issue is so prevalent now that Blight players are actually starting to know how to use their power optimally.
  3. Rework his ability to destroy pallets. I don't mind the option of an attack being able to destroy a pallet yet it often only useful in one context: hitting a survivor who makes it too a pallet, otherwise it is never worth using your power to break a pallet. I'd argue that a lethal rush without an attack (so any rush after the first) should also break the pallet but have normal cooldown unlike the red addon. It also solves the issue that slamming say directly into a pallet and then attempting a lethal rush attack to break it less awkward since you can't rush unless a certain distance from a wall which makes trying to break pallets outside of a chase with the power completely pointless. This would make breaking pallets less awkward and make it less of a small condolence and an actual ability to utilize. Lastly on the main issues is the one I'm least content with.
  4. Make his attack easier to use. Yes I know there is the argument that say giving him an Oni style flick might be too strong but I'm gonna argue for this anyways. Firstly his power inflicts one health state of damage and while Blight players have found really incredible ways of curving their attacks and working with the lunge, I find that the sensitivity handicap on it is so ludicriously strong. I personally assign curving to Q and E and I need to use those or an incredibly high sensitivity to even attempt a curve beyond knowing the turn then attack trick. Upping the sensitivity to me doesn't make Blight less skillful but less annoying to try and use his attack skillfully. I personally do believe that Blight's attack should have a 180 degree flick capability but I also know that's a bit contentious since Oni has to work for his power and Blight's regenerates. But he could at least have less of a handicap on mouse sensitivity when he attacks. This is a personal thing so if it comes across incredibly biased I understand. All that's left is...

Addons:

I and many others are very happy with most of Blight's addons, I think in particular the Purples and Greens are a gold standard for how other addons should be. They change up his gameplay style, give him useful abilities beyond just incremental number changes all the time. However, there are still issues with some of these addons which I think have shown themselves with how the Blight is played now and I think are worth reworking for the upcoming tweak. So without further ado:

Placebo Tablet: This is less about this addon specifically and all brown meme addons: if they are going to make a Killer's power terrible then they should just flat out double the amount of bloodpoints a killer gets. Not just make you reach the maximum faster actually BBQ effect of using them since these kinds of addons should provide a good reward for actually playing with your hands tied. Anyways moving on.

Compound Seven & Chipped Monocle: I have no problem with these on their own since they are training addons but I do have an issue with the fact that outside of the Foxglove there are no other basic addons for Blight. No other slight effects when three of his browns are gimmick addons. Blight should be given one more addon that has some kind of effect imo that actually is more than a training tool or for memes.

Shredded Notes: I once saw a post claiming this addon was like A-Tier. No offense, but in my opinion, it's one of the borderline F-Tier, actually hurts you more than helps you, type addons. I understand taking away a token for better recharge sure, but the increase for this huge sacrifice is a mere .33 seconds per token which is... simply not worth it. Remove the restriction on tokens OR significantly increase that number because taking away a token for such a relatively small effect is never worth it since that extra token could be the difference between a hit and a miss and sure, maybe if you're the best Blight ever you could use this but it hurts you're creativity and your ability to use your power meaningfully. So please, change this addon

Pustula Dust & Rose Tonic: Perhaps the most misguided of all these addons. The other suggested reworks for addons I'd say at least have some kind of positive effect or could be used well. These addons, I'd argue are the second most misguided because while it may help for the first few matches, as soon as you start to understand the Blight, you'll realize that you don't want to stay in a Slam that often but rather you want to get out. Sure sometimes having that extra time can help with navigating a doorway or area but it's almost always better to just cancel your power in such a scenario and these addons just make it harder to do so. These addons I believe should shorten your time in a slam which would make them more a high-risk, high-reward type addons. It would reward players who use their ability quickly and takes them out of their ability quickly. Yet it would also add additional pressure on the killer to make snap decisions and preplan their route. Maybe it wouldn't make them great addons but at least interesting ones.

Compound Twenty-One: Ah RIP Compound Twenty-One. Yes the ability was broken for a green addon. But if I were to play devil's advocate I do miss this addon. I wish it was just made an iridescent like it originally was and made either the duration 3 seconds or the range 8 meters not both. However, constant aura reading is one of the most broken things in this game (like saaaaaaay Object of Obsession guys? Can we please rework Object please for the love of god please?) so perhaps it's best to leave Compound Twenty-One alone, but you know what shouldn't be left alone?

Adrenaline Vial: What is the worst addon for this killer? This right here? Maybe even worse than the Placebo tablet because at least with the placebo tablet you can still actually use your power. On the surface, yes increasing recharge rate and increasing rush tokens by two does warrant a balance of some kind but the fact of the matter is that this addon makes Blight nearly impossible to play. Blight is a killer that requires some turning ability, some means of getting around and this eliminates that ability. If you rush in a location your just locked into it and you cannot turn anywhere. It is such a bad handicap that it doesn't matter that your tokens regenerate faster or that you have more of them, it makes them so much worse than if you simply used your power without addons. This addon is absolutely horrendous and needs to be reworked and especially for a green. Maybe just increase rush tokens by one with no penalty? Maybe just increase regeneration time period with no drawback? Maybe just do something else I don't know. This addon feels like it should've been left in a PTB and instead it was released into the wild. Please rethink this addon, either remove/greatly reduce it's penalty and ease some of it's benefits or just rebuild it. Do something.

Summoning Stone: Ah the only purple that requires a revamp. So it blocks pallets within 12 meters for 6 seconds. Sounds kinda good on paper especially for an addon instead of a perk. Yet this addon is laughably bad. The potentially best aspect that this addon could be is that if you down someone at a pallet you could pick them up without a pallet save but when you down someone with your power you go into a cooldown and hilariously by the time you get out of the cooldown the pallet will unblock rendering the only good use of this addon useless. The only thing this can help with is if you injure a survivor near a pallet so they'll move onto the next one but if the survivor knows it's this addon they could just loop the pallet because the pallet isn't blocked for long after the cooldown. Please increase the time to maybe 10 seconds but decrease the range to 8 meters

Alchemist Ring: This is the best addon on Blight and I love it. It's not broken op but it also puts Blight at a level of less of a B-Tier and almost an A-Tier Killer. However, this one change I'd suggest is mainly if you decide to change his lunge if you say made it a 180 degree flick because then I could see this addon breaking Blight. In which case, just give Blight the current lunge he has when using this addon if you implement that change.

These are my thoughts.

TL;DR: Smooth over the finnicky aspects of Blight's power which punish good plays, rework his pallet destroying aspect and up his attack sensitivity. Change addons which are borderline useless and ones that are too punishing but many of his addons are good it just makes the bad addons standout that much more.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• MasterGrit
    MasterGrit Member Posts: 331

180° flick with 180° hitbox kinda broken

Maybe reduce hitbox to normal killer lunge hitbox if they add a 180° flick

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,475

Blight doesn't need 90% of these changes

Shredded notes lowers cooldown by 33% (6.66 seconds total recharge from 0 charges technically 33% for the removed charge because its down from 10 seconds) and makes perfect parings with both ultra rare addons for a fast playstyle or risk reward for instadowns and otherwise on its own just speeds up heavy power usage which good blights can use to stomp survivors but if they don't want or have alchemists rings to use

slam duration should be slam speed so you can better reposition (make you move 2.5 meters or 3.0 meters per second in slam (3.5 meters together) so during the 1.25 second slam you can readjust making it probably a much higher rated addon

Pov should be raised

sliding objects sould be looked into

• Spider175

Well that's a lot of percent. Not sure if you just mean the addons or the other changes.

I still disagree on Shredded Notes since while that does decrease that by 33% for the cost of a full token and considering that Alchemist Ring also reduces it by .5 per charge AND refills your power on a successful attack so unless you wanna run Blight Tag there's no real reason to run shredded notes when the purple does it better at no penalty.

Like the idea of a slam speed, that could work well.

POV should be raised that is something I forgot to mention.

• bjorksnas

shredded notes is a good alternative to alchemists ring, generally for fast paced heavy power usage gameplay you want one or the other, personally though I save all my of alchemists rings for running with compound 21, I only have 141 games of both left I need to make them last :D

• eiredrake
    eiredrake Member Posts: 98

i pretty much skipped the Blight when I spent three games unable to figure out what the hell to do with his power. Seemed like a slightly worse version of the Hillbilly and I could barely control the guy.

• Spider175

But what I'm arguing that for the cost of a token the increase of token regen isn't worth it. If it's gonna cost a token then why not be as good at regen as the Alchemist Ring is since it's a yellow instead of a purple? Idk, just what I think

• bjorksnas

most of my hits only take 2-3 total tokens anyway the loss of a token only affects probably 1/15 to 1/20 hits (average 1 hit per game) at most but the cooldown reduction affects 100% of my rushes

• Kees_T
    Kees_T Member Posts: 811

I'm also loving to play with Blight, he's fast and aggressive. The only thing I don't like on him right now:

• Some objects will just make you slide to the side intead of bouncing
    • Bouncing on the same object multiple times

Just adding a no collision for 0.50 seconds after a Slam will help to avoid these situations.

• Spider175

Even so I argue that the lack of tokens just hurts the versatility of the power both in the chase and out of chase. Yeah you hit someone with 2-3 tokens but then when you don't you're just screwed. Maybe it's cause I try to use my power a lot as creatively as I can (not trying to throw shade, if you're consistently hitting at 2-3 tokens you must be an awesome Blight) and perhaps we could just argue that Shredded Notes just sucks for my playstyle compared to yours since hey if it works for you then great.

I still say that the cooldown reduction isn't worth the loss of a token but fair point on your end.

• bjorksnas

preferably I would use alchemists rings but I only have so many

so preferably I only use them with compound 21 for my favorite build

but the only other addon that allows you to mimic its fast paced gameplay is shredded notes because the max cooldown becomes 6.66 instead of 10 seconds

and from personal experience having the 21st most lethal rush hits I can tell you its a decent alternative that allows you to play with very heavy power usage