Survivor Rift Quests Shouldn't Encourage Bad Behaviour

I believe survivor Rift quests often encourage bad behaviour that negatively impacts the teamwork survivors are meant to have between each other.

Two examples I can think of at the top of my head are the totem cleansing and "risk" quests. The totem cleansing quests encourage survivors to run around cleansing dull totems instead of helping out the team. It is always frustrating to see someone without Inner Strength cleansing dull totems because they want to complete their quest and it is baffling how bad behaviour that negatively impacts the team is rewarded.

"Risk" quests are quests that encourage risky play which does not benefit the team. An example of this is the quest that requires you to complete a generator in a killers terror radius, which encourages leaving a gen almost completed so that the survivor can go taunt the killer to chase them, only to complete the gen in their face. Not only does this encourage bad economical play as the gen can be kicked, blocked etc. but it also encourages bad sportsmanship where the survivors feel like they have a reason to engage in behaviour many would consider toxic.

These quests can also be easily changed to far better ones. Instead of a quest that counts all totems cleansed, how about one that requires less totems but it only counts hex totems? Instead of a quest revolving around completing a generator next to a killer, how about one where you have to complete a generator after being chased off it by the killer?

Comments

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

You know there are other reasons to destroy totems besides inner strength right honestly it's a mentality like that that's the reason why teams always get hit with no one escapes death or Undying.

Then complain about how broken and unfair they are

• Exellen
    Exellen Member Posts: 49

just do bones mate just do bones

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

The totem cleansing quests encourage survivors to run around cleansing dull totems

And thus removing NOED (and other hex perks) while doing so.

An example of this is the quest that requires you to complete a generator in a killers terror radius

And with this I agree. Some of these challenges require unnecessery risks (see that one Dwight "be close but not in the chase" challenge). HOWEVER:

Instead of a quest that counts all totems cleansed, how about one that requires less totems but it only counts hex totems? Instead of a quest revolving around completing a generator next to a killer, how about one where you have to complete a generator after being chased off it by the killer?

How are these better? 1st one requires the killers to run hex perks (I know the whole undying+ruin is a thing but not everyone runs it) which is something you can't really control. And with randoms is even more annoying.

2nd one promotes doing exactly what you said in why these challenges suck, but more.

• Floofzy_Kitten
    Floofzy_Kitten Member Posts: 68

You have a good point that there is a really common and strong perk that requires dull totems to be cleansed, but most of the time NOED only results in one kill against good survivors that are not trying to play altruistically. There's a reason why good killers don't run NOED as often as other perks and that NOED dramatically drops off in usage in higher ranks.

For my second example, I don't think it encourages unnecessery risk too much as patrolling generators is what a killer is supposed to do. If a killer isn't chasing survivors off gens, they will lose the game hard. Completing a gen in a killer's terror radius is quite difficult to come by naturally so it encourages putting yourself in that position, but unless you are a super immersive player who is always blending, at some point during the game you will be chased off of a generator. This can be abused, you're right, but it's a better alternative to the other one which heavily encourages bad play.