2nd Hook Stage Perk: Smoke Screen

Smoke Screen:

When you reach the 2nd hook stage of sacrifice, a thick, blinding shroud of fog envelops your hook in a radius of 4/6/8 meters. The fog is impossible to see through, and the killer is blinded to all auras within this fog.

Auras of all objects and walls within the fog are shown to survivors with a white outline. (This includes traps). The fog persists for 8 seconds after you are unhooked.

Comments

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

I imagine this would synergize nicely with Kindred. Either way, this would greatly discourage camping since it’s impossible to see anybody sneaking in for the rescue.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Pretty cool perk, actually. :o

• yobuddd

Thank you! I’d love to see something like this that gently suggests to newer players that camping isn’t ideal. They don’t get full-on punished for doing it, but they learn that there are more effective uses of their time.

Now I’m starting to wonder if this perk should apply to 1st hook stage as well. Is that OP?

• Vert3x
    Vert3x Member Posts: 125

You want to make base game mechanics that gently do that rather than perks.

Since Bill was released back in 2017 with Borrowed Time, it feels like the developers are overly relying on the existence of perks to discourage bad strategies, and that's just inconsistent, camping has always been a real issue that detriments at lease one player's gameplay experience.

They did only one other thing against camping with is Emblems discouragement and that is just.. Yeah I don't even think I've got to say anything

• PyroGL
    PyroGL Member Posts: 239

This idea sounds promising.

• ZarioKiller534
    ZarioKiller534 Member Posts: 26

The idea is great but I don't think developers should put in work to counter camping which is already damaging to the killer

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited November 2020

I would put the smoke bomb on either first or second hook (leaning toward first, personally, to guarantee that it properly fires off) but not both.

Actually, on second thought, I think the effect is restricted enough that it would be fine being applied to both 1st and 2nd hook.

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481

While I have said many times that anti-camping punishments can't get much stronger without completely breaking the game (The killer needs freedom to punish sloppy saves or else the survivors just get 12 hook states and the game becomes a nightmare, full Deathgarden unplayable mode) this isn't... too bad.

I think its a bit weak actually as you can generally hear survivors and presumably if your really close you can still see. Only being on the second state is rough too because that makes it a once per-game effect on a hook state that you might not get camped on anyway. It also does some weridness where it sorta... encourages camping because being blocked from aura reading during BBQ means the killer can't use the hook to instantly enter a new chase, which discourages them from leaving.

Also, speaking of Deathgarden, we learned from Deathgarden that too many visibility penalties for the solo player is an awful nightmare and absolutely shouldn't be a mechanic that we explore, especially if the solo player is in first person. Its really nauseating, disorientating, and makes the game physically unpleasant on an OOC level.

Still, its 'lets make a perk to help increase the window of rescues' rather than 'lets punish the killer for camping despite camping sometimes being the right choice' so its on the right track.

• yobuddd

Oh I’m glad you said that about BBQ auras. I may have worded it weirdly, so this gives me a chance to clarify.

It is only objects and people WITHIN the smoke that have their auras shielded from the killer, so BBQ still works normally (but a camping scratched mirror Myers would struggle, for example). This mainly affects the killer because he won’t be able to see the aura of the hook. If he’s standing there scanning for rescuers, it’ll be hard to tell if he’s even looking at the hook when he rotates back.

The only indication that anything has changed is the unhooking “boom”. After this, 8 more seconds of smoke interferes with tracking blood and scratch marks.