Trick or Treat? The cosmetic bait and switch

SpaceCoconut
SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962
edited October 2018 in General Discussions
I, like many of you, am unhappy with the devs decision to charge for 18/21 of the event cosmetic pieces.

I would like to say to the players of DbD that if you purchase these cosmetics after the bait and switch the devs pulled by omission, then you will be setting us up with this event format for the foreseeable future, including the inevitable Christmas Event.

I will not support this decision the devs have made for the Halloween event by buying the Halloween cosmetics. I encourage those of you who feel slighted by the devs as I do to do the same.

If you buy the Halloween cosmetics anyway, you encourage the devs to continue to act as they did this time. Greedy and dishonest.

To take a traditionally free event and turn it into a shameless cash grab. 

I'll settle for my one blighted outfit (even though I'm FORCED to play a side I dislike to do so) but I will not be supportive of this event monetarily.

PS: WHY ISN'T THE HAG BLIGHTED?!?
Post edited by SpaceCoconut on

Comments

• benzos
    benzos Member Posts: 178

tbh, depending on how fast it takes to earn vials, I might want to buy the cosmetics by day 3. I can afford it, and I might want them all! Maybe it would be better for them to make it harder to earn vials and then increase the killer skin to 2 or 3? but i can understand why they making you pay.

• benzos

@SpaceCoconut said:
    benzos said:

tbh, depending on how fast it takes to earn vials, I might want to buy the cosmetics by day 3. I can afford it, and I might want them all! Maybe it would be better for them to make it harder to earn vials and then increase the killer skin to 2 or 3? but i can understand why they making you pay.

I can afford it too, but I don't want to encourage their greedy and deceptive BHVR

Fair enough, but i know how businesses run all too well and if they have to make money to stay afloat then I'll pony up.

• FayeZahara
    FayeZahara Member Posts: 965
    Im sorry im against the pricing but i have hurt us by purchasing two big auric cell packs beforr. I have a weakness to being scary and wanted to be many forms of killers. I won't buy blight items but it sucks i can't make outfit combos even with what i have.
  • nssBoB
    nssBoB Member Posts: 15

i preffer this to the old format of 1 piece for surv 1 piece for killer. grinding out full outfit for my doc and might buy the claudette one... though i do not see myself using it over OP P3.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320

Another dumb post.

Free event?... So they should really only give us 2 cosmetics then. And only 2... that they decide to give out. No choice on the ones you want.

Heaven forbid you get 3 free cosmetics and you get to choose from a bunch of them. Wow... OMG!... NOT FAIR I SAY!

Bait and switch?.... Where did they say you'd be able to unlock all the cosmetics through the event?... Where did they bait everyone?... I don't think they even mentioned much of the event until yesterday. OH YEAH... All the leaks... Which they could have prevented.... but... well.. it got leaked. So everyone THOUGHT they were going to be able to unlock all those cosmetics for free... Then found out the actually details of the event yesterday and realized that wasn't the case.

So where was the bait and the switch?.... Where did they switch it from being able to unlock ALL the cosmetics to where you will only be able to unlock 3?

OH NO... YOU HAVE TO PLAY A SIDE YOU DON'T LIKE TO GET YOUR 3 FREE COSMETICS!.... Oh... my bad.... you had to do that in the previous events aswell.... but you only got 1 per side. GEEZ... Where have you been?... Are you still hiding under your rock?

So cringe.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited October 2018

3 Whole sets though right?

Its way better than just A Mask and Shirt
    Or
    Weapon and Shirt.

by far much better.

And who cares if only 3/21 are free, are you saying you are gonna use these skins forever? If you were able to get all these skins for free, would you just stick to these? Or use new ones? Constantly switching out, playing characters that don't have that skin. No one needs that many skins.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,873

You weren't promised #########! Show me anywhere that Behaviour stated that you would be able to unlock all the cosmetics for free. You can't. You know why? It doesn't exist. You assumed that you could. Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,615

This event isn't completely free cause there's way too much work put into it.
    Just like past events, you get 2 to 5 cosmetics for free.
    And these aren't just reskins either. And this event isn't just "Get coins" either, more has been prepared.

Those who tricked their own minds into thinking: "ALL OF THIS FOR FREE?!" and then being disappointed by the actual announcement, i can't sympathize with.

• Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650

People still missing the point...

It's a 13 day event.

With an event this long we all thought we'd be in for more grindable long term goals or something.

I never expected all the skins to be free. I don't want them to be free. They need supported yes. I get it.

I'll support them, but 3/21 pieces is just horrible.

I don't care if this is the best they've offered up in the past. It's just a let down.

They just need to increase it to 6/21, and I think a lot of people would be happy

30 vials for the first 3

70 more vials for the 2nd 3 pieces.

easy

• lyric
    lyric Member Posts: 611
    The devs poured a lot of work into this and they are trying to improve the game with each patch and this doesn’t come for free, you all should appreciate a company that’s in touch with the community and puts up hard work to try and please everyone, they’ve spent a lot of money making these things and I have no issue giving some money back to further develop this game and possibly end up with dedicated servers one day. 
  • HP150
    HP150 Member Posts: 455

This is going to be the first time I purchase a cosmetic, actually. They really knocked it out of the park with this one. Much more work was put into this than the Halloween skins usually offered for purchase from other games like Fortnite and League of Legends. :)

• lyric
    lyric Member Posts: 611
    Lowbei said:
    Will you people stop whining about free events? they dont owe you #########. shut up.
    I don’t think these people realize that no money=no game, the devs could pull the plug on this game and there isn’t a thing anyone would be able to do about it but if we spend money on the game we’re ensuring it stays alive 
  • KoPGaMeR
    KoPGaMeR Member Posts: 6

@Dreamnomad said:
    You weren't promised #########! Show me anywhere that Behaviour stated that you would be able to unlock all the cosmetics for free. You can't. You know why? It doesn't exist. You assumed that you could. Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

Is it hard to say that they will be offered at the market when people assume it will be like another event? Worse part is they even didn't say that on twitch when explaining the event at the start? We found out that in the middle of the stream.

• SpaceCoconut

@Boss said:
    And these aren't just reskins either. And this event isn't just "Get coins" either, more has been prepared.

Those who tricked their own minds into thinking: "ALL OF THIS FOR FREE?!" and then being disappointed by the actual announcement, i can't sympathize with.

The Nurse Chapter and Left Behind (Bill) were free chapters, so it's not so crazy to think that they'd allow a holiday event to be free as well.

@lyric said:
    Lowbei said:

Will you people stop whining about free events? they dont owe you #########. shut up.

I don’t think these people realize that no money=no game, the devs could pull the plug on this game and there isn’t a thing anyone would be able to do about it but if we spend money on the game we’re ensuring it stays alive 

BHVR annual revenue is estimated between 20 and 50 million dollars.

Yes, they need to create a holiday event and charge for the majority of skins because they're a small studio and can barely afford to pay the bills. /s

• GrannyonAcid
    GrannyonAcid Member Posts: 476

@Dwight_Confusion said:

It's a 13 day event.

With an event this long we all thought we'd be in for more grindable long term goals or something.

I never expected all the skins to be free. I don't want them to be free. They need supported yes. I get it.

I don't care if this is the best they've offered up in the past. It's just a let down.

They just need to increase it to 6/21, and I think a lot of people would be happy

30 vials for the first 3

easy

I think people get the point. It's just not everyone here is selfish. A 13 day event is clearly for the people that cannot invest a ton of hours a day into the event. It's for the people that might not be home for a single weekend to unlock the skins. 13 days is their way to make sure anyone that wants to participate can. It's not so people living in their grandmother's basement can unlock everything in the game.

• SpaceCoconut

@KoPGaMeR said:

@Dreamnomad said:

Is it hard to say that they will be offered at the market when people assume it will be like another event? Worse part is they even didn't say that on twitch when explaining the event at the start? We found out that in the middle of the stream.

Did you notice that they never addressed the chat when there was still confusion about their statement? Yea, they knew what they did was crappy and didn't want to let it take over the stream so they ignored it all.

Even now with all the threads they're silent. The only explanation I saw was from not_queen and even that was simply marketing spin.

• Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650

@GrannyonAcid said:

@Dwight_Confusion said:

It's a 13 day event.

30 vials for the first 3

easy

I think people get the point. It's just not everyone here is selfish. A 13 day event is clearly for the people that cannot invest a ton of hours a day into the event. It's for the people that might not be home for a single weekend to unlock the skins. 13 days is their way to make sure anyone that wants to participate can. It's not so people living in their grandmother's basement can unlock everything in the game.

i get that.

It takes maybe 2-3 days to get the vials.

13 days

Some of us play at night daily (like myself). I don't play 4 different games like some of you millennials (since you're judging...)

I'm going to have like 10 days or so after my thing is earned, which I'm thankful for. I jsut wanted a bigger grind.

I'm not selfish either.

I'm asking for 6/21 to be grindable.

Not 3/21

Look in the mirror before you judge.

• GrannyonAcid

@Dwight_Confusion said:

@GrannyonAcid said:

@Dwight_Confusion said:

It's a 13 day event.

30 vials for the first 3

easy

i get that.

It takes maybe 2-3 days to get the vials.

13 days

Some of us play at night daily (like myself). I don't play 4 different games like some of you millennials (since you're judging...)

I'm going to have like 10 days or so after my thing is earned, which I'm thankful for. I jsut wanted a bigger grind.

I'm not selfish either.

I'm asking for 6/21 to be grindable.

Not 3/21

Look in the mirror before you judge.

And for those 10 days you will be unlocking event tickets or w/e they're called that will provide you with extra blood points. Which is still a good bonus. I think I'm more excited about getting more blood points then I am the skins.

This game has terrible cosmetics. It's put to shame by anyone else in the gaming industry. I don't even shell out money for Fortnite or League of Legends skins that are a lot better. I don't even know if I want a single skin. The two survivor ones are terrible. Doc and Wraith are the only cool two of the bunch. So just pick between those two and be happy.

I also feel like I'm probably part of the 'older' player base in DBD. Maybe that's why I'm reasonable. Has nothing to do with being a millenials. If anything that's the younger generation that feels entitled.

• Naiad
    Naiad Member Posts: 194

I'll be buying some if I like them and I'll tell you why, I like them.

Nothing was promised, you weren't even promised an entire skin for one character. Bait and switch is saying you'll get one thing and getting given something else.

BBQ event you got TWO pieces. One body skin for one particular survivor and one weapon skin for one particular killer. You didn't even get to choose.

This event? You get to grind for the serum which you use to choose which THREE skins you want. Yeah you may not feel like it's much but it's more than they've given before. And you get to choose between a few different survivors/killers. You like the body piece of Wraith but not the rest? Get that and then something for another killer/survivor.

Would it have been nice if we could get six cosmetic pieces? Yes anything would be a bonus because it would give us more to grind for but I'm okay with three. Mostly because I find after a week or so people who have what they want to use up all their offerings and don't claim any more, making it more of a grind for those people who may not have been able to play the first few days or just don't play as much as others and so need longer to get enough event items.

Games like this need investment to keep going. If the game doesn't bring money in the devs will be move on to other projects so they can eat and pay their mortgage etc.

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089

I actually do feel bait and switched

First thing they need to realized is that this isn't F2P. I paid money for this game.

Second thing that needs to be realized is that if you play pretty much any other game, there's similar events being run. And they aren't charging you for most of the halloween stuff. (ie: Overwatch has new lootboxes, but if you don't get what you want by the end of the event you can buy the cosmetic, a better system imho)

As for having the money and the cosmetics looking cool: Some of us are Disabled Iraq war vets on a fixed income.. There is no shame in being poor, so stop shaming those of us who are.

Some microtransactions are cool. I really like the chapters, good content and affordable for those of us who have to consider such things. Which should be bringing them a regular influx of capital.

• GrannyonAcid

@SmokePotion said:

First thing they need to realized is that this isn't F2P. I paid money for this game.

Second thing that needs to be realized is that if you play pretty much any other game, there's similar events being run. And they aren't charging you for most of the halloween stuff. (ie: Overwatch has new lootboxes, but if you don't get what you want by the end of the event you can buy the cosmetic, a better system imho)

As for having the money and the cosmetics looking cool: Some of us are Disabled Iraq war vets on a fixed income.. There is no shame in being poor, so stop shaming those of us who are.

Some microtransactions are cool. I really like the chapters, good content and affordable for those of us who have to consider such things. Which should be bringing them a regular influx of capital.

That is a ridiculous statement to make. Now everyone that agrees that 1 skin was fine hates our disabled war vets? Like come on man. And the event is a lot like the Overwatch. If you don't get what yu want you can buy it? Well there's no reason anyone needs all 7 skins. So pick 1 for free and then buy the other one you really like. Don't drop 60$ to buy all the skins. A couple should be enough.

• SmokePotion

@GrannyonAcid said:

That is a ridiculous statement to make. Now everyone that agrees that 1 skin was fine hates our disabled war vets? Like come on man. And the event is a lot like the Overwatch. If you don't get what yu want you can buy it? Well there's no reason anyone needs all 7 skins. So pick 1 for free and then buy the other one you really like. Don't drop 60$ to buy all the skins. A couple should be enough.

There are posts that say things along the lines of "I can afford it, so it's no problem" or other ways of dismissing the pay wall. Chill, or examine yourself to see why you feel guilty.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334
    @SpaceCoconut I'm not sure if you're still checking these comments. But I would highly recommend watching Paulie Esthers recent video on this event. He talks about this subject and has really good feedback on it. 
  • SmokePotion

@SmokePotion said:

@GrannyonAcid said:

There are posts that say things along the lines of "I can afford it, so it's no problem" or other ways of dismissing the pay wall. Chill, or examine yourself to see why you feel guilty.

Also, in overwatch, and many other games, you can unlock all the holiday content. Also, why is the content available all year long? That just feels like it takes any kind of achievement out of it. "Hey i got this exclusive skin that everyone else can get all year long... I got a new skin..."

• Vortexas
    Vortexas Member Posts: 757

I know right!

How DARE THEY!

It's almost like they are running a for profit business instead of gaming charity.

• Naiad
    Naiad Member Posts: 194

@SmokePotion said:

You may feel that way but you weren't.

@SmokePotion said:

Everyone paid money for this game. You paid money for the base game, you still have that. I've paid a lot more for other games and once the game is completed that's it unless I replay the same story again. I play games like this because I enjoy it and want to support it's development.

@SmokePotion said:

I've played tons of other games, and yes there are events like this. I play a game where you play a Halloween event for one cosmetic for one particular weapon, that's it. Some games will do lootboxes (which I hate btw). I don't see how comparing it to other games helps. In Overwatch you say you can buy the cosmetic you want if you don't get it in a lootbox. How is that better? Here you get to grind the serum and get the cosmetic you want then buy any extra you want in the store. My only hesitation is that these event skins will be for sale forever, but then again you get to grind for 3 pieces which someone buying the game even 3 weeks from now can't do.

@SmokePotion said:

Who is shaming you? I certainly didn't and I didn't see any other posts that did. Saying games need investment to continue is stating the truth not shaming anyone. Guess what? I'm poor too, I'm a single mother to a severely disabled child so I can't work. Maybe try not taking offense to a simple statement.

• Boss

@SpaceCoconut said:

@Boss said:

The Nurse Chapter and Left Behind (Bill) were free chapters, so it's not so crazy to think that they'd allow a holiday event to be free as well.

The event is free, as long as you pay for the main game.
    Anyone can participate.

• Jesya
    Jesya Member Posts: 1,101
    edited October 2018

But how was it a bait and switch? The community leaked the event and cosmetics before they told us about it in detail yesterday. We led ourselves to believe all of the pieces could be farmable.
    I'm not happy I can only farm 1 cosmetic outfit.. but it wasn't a bait and switch.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    βLAKE said:

Yeah when I was watching the dev livestream I was hugely dissapointed by what can be achieved through the event. I thought the devs were gonna announce like specific challenges for each killer which if completed you would receive the blight cosmetics, but no they announced just generic objectives which only give you 3 cosmetic pieces. Lately, I have been feeling that the devs have been getting greedier and greedier. When I heard Kate finally got a new costume I rushed to go buy it at the store then I was also dissapointed to see that the entire costume cost $10 which makes no sense to me because characters and chapters cost less than that and its a pain in the ass how slow it is to get the shards that you need smh. When the devs announced a while ago the promise to make a whole year of content, I didn't know that the promise for content came with a HUGE price (literally)

Can't you buy that outfit with Iridescent Shards?
  • SpaceCoconut

@Jesya said:
    But how was it a bait and switch? The community leaked the event and cosmetics before they told us about it in detail yesterday. We led ourselves to believe all of the pieces could be farmable.
    I'm not happy I can only farm 1 cosmetic outfit.. but it wasn't a bait and switch.

I mentioned in the OP that it was by omission.

• AnotherRandy
    AnotherRandy Member Posts: 274
    Lowbei said:
    Lowbei said:
    Your 100% a fortnite kid, no doubt. 
    its spelled “you’re”, im in my 30s, and i dont play fortnite.

stay in school son. you will learn about 5 letter words like “you’re” in the 3rd or 4th grade.
    I wrote that on my phone with my feet while doing shoulder pushups and talking with a friend. Also not native English, but hey, if someone nails the correct nerve there is always the last opportunity of b*tching about texting mistakes. Just shows how poor you are, even if you try to act like a rich boy.
  • Boss

When a thread derails to insults and nazi grammar, you know it'll be locked down soon.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320

@SpaceCoconut said:

BHVR annual revenue is estimated between 20 and 50 million dollars.

Yes, they need to create a holiday event and charge for the majority of skins because they're a small studio and can barely afford to pay the bills. /s

Do you have any idea how a studio like that would operate?... I don't myself since I've never owned or managed one. Since you provided some revenue numbers... 20 to 50 million... big 30 mil gap there... but anyways. How many employees do they have?.... How much rent do they pay on their lease?... How much are their utility bills?... Also how much are all their other software licenses cost?.... Just the payroll for a company like that is in the millions. It isn't one million... It is in the MILLIONS. You don't hire all graphic design artists... programmers, network administrators... Front line staff for under 30K each you know.

Clueless. At least use your brain a bit.

@SpaceCoconut said:
    I mentioned in the OP that it was by omission.

Luls.... Hey... They haven't mentioned anything about the Winter event yet... So I guess they baited and switched us all there too... Dammit!... Those Devs and the bait and switch!

• benzos

@Skerpinator said:

@benzos said:

3 days, more like 3 hours yeah It only takes 15 succesfull escapes and 80 hooks

i said that because i didn't know how long it would take to farm vials. i did 8 hours with a couple sandwiches and got my 30. if this was on the weekday, it would take me at least 3 days. for one skin! i guess i was right? this is only survivor too, i still have to do killer.