The New Autohaven Maps Suck

darktrix
darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
edited December 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

Huge dead areas - miles between walls so easy to see down the length of the map. Way too sanitized looking, doesn't look like a junkyard anymore. Looks like someone just laid out carefully placed walls of garbage neatly spaced everywhere.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• Mert_MK
    Mert_MK Member Posts: 674

Agreed

These map reworks are just terrible, not only autohaven tbh

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

Haven't noticed any dead zones myself yet, and I find the maps to look much better now.

• darktrix

I think they look like poorly maintained aisles at a costco.

• dnj510
    dnj510 Member Posts: 438

The new Autohaven map updates are troublesome, at least on Wretched Shop. The map looked too bright, lot's of dead zones, don't know where some of the pallets went, and I felt like the Killer could see me from all the way across the map. Good from the Killer's perspective, I guess.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

I like that they kept it green, but there's something about all of these updates that makes the maps look dead to me. I honestly don't know what it is. But the updated maps all feel like they're 150% bigger and the only thing added is extra grass. I find it much harder to get oriented.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

I'm actually really disliking most of these map reworks. Autohaven and Macmillan are maps I looked forward too, I don't like much else. Also nostalgia.

Feels like every map is the same thing of neatly placed trees with little in between, just like @GoodBoyKaru posted.

I can't see myself enjoying playing them.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

The amount of large empty spaces is insane and the darkness makes them all look the same

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891

Yeah, there's far, far, far too much empty space on the autohaven maps. There's just like... no where to go.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

Firstly, that is my plan if I'm ever caught in a deadzone. Funnily enough I do play this game.

Secondly, from my own experience this is the entire map. Wretched Shop has so few structures on it to use its honestly laughable; I counted 5 pallets in total, 7 structures (main building with like 3 l-t walls included too). This isn't balanced, because there's absolutely nothing to work with and god forbid you get a console Meg who camps pallets because then it's game over. Holding w isn't engaging for either side, at least as killer I genuinely enjoy looping and outplaying the survivor, I don't enjoy hold w into M1 then hold w into down; its the exact reason midwich is such a hated map.

It's why I kinda like new Ormond. Yes, most of the pallets are awful and unsafe, but that's the joy of it; unsafe pallets are fun. In most cases anyway; vs snare freddy & bloodlusters they are not but that's another point for another day. You actually outplay someone, try for fakes, stuns, etc, and if you make a mistake you get hit. If they make a mistake you don't. It's beautiful and I love it.

Ormond has pallets everywhere but they're playable for both sides. Autohaven's pallets aren't playable as killer but it's fine because there aren't any.

• akumaks13
    akumaks13 Member Posts: 42

Auto heaven and ormond are horrible upgrade

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

Well don't forget these changes may have something to do with the bloodlust test.

More dead zones equates to less need for BL.

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,580

Agrees, it's just dead awful there, even around some of the sides, it feels like I have to keep in the middle to just know and use things to help me in my game.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

What is the purpose of dead zones other than to catch already struggling new players wandering around them?

• Uistreel
    Uistreel Member Posts: 634

I don't think they realise that when people ask for less pallets, they aren't asking for no pallets

• darktrix
    edited December 2020

Speaking of no pallets here is view of a gen in one of the corners - below that a view of the same gen further away.

All that empty area - and there are zero pallets here. I checked and no chases came through here to destroy them. The closest pallets are at the shack and that wall to the right in the distance, both a good mile away from the gen if the killer comes calling. This is not an isolated thing.

• horrortale_sans
    horrortale_sans Member Posts: 651

they look good

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,795

That Wretched Shop screenshot looks bad, but I've only played on Blood Lodge and Wreckers Yard myself. I don't think either of those had massive dead zones and I actually really liked them aesthetically and in terms of layout. Wreckers Yard used to be one of my least favorite maps but now it's not bad.

I tried out Ormond too and that does have some massive dead zones and some really useless unsafe pallets, but it looks gorgeous and a lot more like a ski resort now. It seems a lot more balanced too, although mobile killers like Blight could make it killer sided pretty quickly.

• Rainn
    Rainn Member Posts: 12

I don't have an issue with the graphics they use. When I play killer I can stand in the middle and hear all gens that are being done. Its really really really easy to find survivors on auto haven now.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    edited December 2020

and this Bloodlodge is somehow not from out of a horror movie?

The current Bloodlodge doesn't actually improve on anything in these screenshots but still manages to decrease my already limited framerate, so I'm not sold on the graphics changes in the slightest. Were they better than the descent into poop visuals we've had since around The Clown? Sure, but that's not a very good reason to disregard the better-performing aesthetics that gave this game its legs.