Self-healing perks need buffs

Options
GoshJosh
GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
edited January 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

I've given some consideration to Self-Care and Inner Strength, and am asking the devs to buff them. What really got me thinking about this is recently watching a YouTube video, where the creator basically described the survivor experience as a loading bar simulator. As much as I have enjoyed playing DbD since 2016, it really hit home. The values for all solo actions (without modifiers) are: generators, 80 seconds; exit gates, 20 seconds; totems, 14 seconds; chests 10 seconds; healing a fellow survivor, 16 seconds; and self-caring, 32 seconds. (Of course all of these can be modified by perks and co-op actions.) Here's why the two perks should be buffed:

Self-care: Without a medkit or perk, you cannot heal yourself. So if a survivor already has to utilize a perk slot just to heal oneself, why does it suffer a 50% speed reduction? Just staring at your character doing arm day exercises for a half a minute is extremely boring and painful... throw in Sloppy Butcher and/or Coulrophobia, and you're looking at anywhere from around 45 seconds to around a minute. I get that it should be a critical decision for a survivor to heal or stay injured, but spending the time equivalent to half of a generator repair to heal is stupid. Could the healing speed just be reduced by 25 or 33% instead?

Inner Strength: This self-healing perk should also be strengthened (pun intended). It needs to work on a token system, so that you don't have to go hunt for totems in-between heals. Otherwise, you risk getting screwed by your own teammates destroying the totems, when you need them as your only self-healing opportunity. On top of this, the healing time in a locker should be reduced to three seconds - or five most. You already have to take the time to find and cleanse a totem, then get to a locker. Why an additional 8-10 seconds of waiting for the heal to activate?

A positive side effect would also be helping to bridge the gap between solo queue and SWF. Thank you for your time and consideration!

Edit: I actually forgot Second Wind was even a self-healing perk it was so bad.. glad it's getting a buff!

Post edited by GoshJosh on

Comments

• Thanotos_Omega
    Thanotos_Omega Member Posts: 100
    Options

They are weak because they are strong, removing the need for other survivors to meet up with you and heal you, hits a killer's pressure hard, so being able to do it fast without a limited supply of charges would make it so any chase that fails to end in a hook is a waste of time thus discouraging killers being relaxed and instead causing them to tunnel and camp harder, because any survivor who isn't hooked or dead is going to pop back up to full HP while gens get done all the same,

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,253
    Options

Its going to still take time to heal, as game speeds increase it only seems fair that these perks are allowed to be a little faster, also inner strength does have a limited supply of charges as does second wind and adrenaline

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

When Selfcare was on 80%, everyone ran it because it was OP. You have almost no loss in time and the other survivor was free to work on gens instead. As Thanotos already said, you basically have no pressure anymore. Selfcare is still strong because you can heal whenever you need it. I'm pretty sure everyone had situations enough where he said "sorry bro, can't do anything right now". And you could, if you had Selfcare.

Not sure about the Inner Strength change. I don't think it hits that hard, I never have problems with it and I love to run it combined with Hunch because it helps me counter NOED while having sufficient heals on top.

And don't forget, it is not only about lost chases, this takes effect after each unhook. If it is too easy to heal yourself, the unhooker will immediately jump back on a gen.

• Teacyn
    Teacyn Member Posts: 93
    Options

Self-care is a weak perk by itself, but that's almost 100% intended to be its main balance factor. Keep in mind it also makes medkits more efficient while healing yourself with them. Botany Knowledge, along with increasing healing speed, also increases efficiency.

If you run both perks, you heal yourself in... 24 seconds, iirc, which while still quite some time is very manageable if you're in a bad spot (need to rescue someone off a hook and might need to take a hit for them, killer is really aggressively patrolling close exit gates, etc.) and is fast enough that you're not massively hurting your team if you use it smartly, and don't just crouch in a corner and heal. If you're worried about being a detriment to your team still: Bring literally any medkit. Even with a brown medkit you can almost get two full heals out of it with both perks without hitting any great skill checks (and even with just self-care, you can get enough leftover charge to substantially speed up your next heal), and you'll heal even faster. TL,DR: Don't run self-care by itself, bring a medkit or a healing speedup perk.

Inner Strength is fine. I do wish there was some way to indicate to your teammates that you have it so they can leave totems for you (though I've found that crouching behind them repeatedly while they do the totem usually works), but as long as you pay attention/bring a map, you typically can always have it ready unless your team is very aggressively doing totems.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

the self care on that one PTB was crazy good. 75% speed on everything? That was pretty useful.