Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

I'm tired of killers who tunnel thinking of themselves as "good players"

Th3Nightmare
Th3Nightmare Member Posts: 1,266
edited December 2020 in General Discussions

First of all merry christmas and happy ... 2021! (English is not my language, sry)

I'm going to be honest with all of you, me being a main killer. Who thinks he is a good player when he has killed all 4 players by tunneling when the survivors are so bad that they do not know what to do in that situation?

I would be delighted if the devs thought of a way which would prevent or in any way penalize in such a way that these killers have to change the way they play. I know it is a form of game, but there is a lot of "ego" in this game, almost more than 60% of the players play to WIN, which .. speaking of Dead by Daylight (it is not a competitive game) also adding that these Tunneling by the killers makes them appear in the BHVR statistics and the equivalent of many of them have to nerf because of these players who play this way, I don't see it fair, to give an example from my experience, in my games of survivors, I find every 10 games, 5 tunnellers who end up killing 3 even 4 players because there is so little level that these players do not know what to do against these people. Why don't you do something? You are respecting the statistics when some statistics are many factors behind this, so please I would be super enthusiastic that someday BVHR deals in some way or another with this "thing.

Do you think it fair that a killer who tunnels kills all 4? It's fair? In consecuense...

BHVR: Take the stats ... Example: Trapper kills 4 in each game? Why could it be? Bear in mind that there is a lot of camper and tunneller and this I THINK that the devs do not take it into account.

To finish, to say that, I do not believe that it is fulfilled or that any community manager will read it, that one day those players who play easy (camping or tunneling) obtaining 4k will be penalized in some way by inciting another mode of play.

Thank you.

Comments

• Th3Nightmare
    Th3Nightmare Member Posts: 1,266
    edited December 2020

I'm a main killer with 4300 hours I don't tunnel and sometimes I kill 3 and 4 without doing it, even in some games on the map, I don't kill anyone. Why does that player who tunnels have to kill all 4?

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

I'm tired of furtive chase pigs 🐖

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050

If a strategy works for you, use it. If it makes the other person salty, too bad.

• Zani22
    Zani22 Member Posts: 444
  • Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Yay. Another thread wanting to lament something and remove the agency of Killers. I sometimes wonder if "some" Survivors aren't going to be happy until they are playing Bots.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099

There are so many ways to stop tunneling off of hooks.

If more survivors did this, tunneling wouldn't be a problem:

1: Don't unhook the survivor when the killer is close.

2: Hide after being unhooked.

The only time where these counters wouldn't work is if the killer was camping (which is an entirely different problem) or if your team mates aren't good (rank issue).

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,241

A game where one side has a kill/win rate of over 65% at red ranks yet somehow the other side is too op? The game is not survivor sided anymore and if you believe that now then you will always believe that until you are getting 100% kill rates.

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

What platform for that stat? PC? And with what killers because that's not across the board and account for all ranks levels, which is broken and red ranks is meaningless when you have zero rewards for something that resets monthly. The only people who think this game is not survivor sided are unsurprisingly, survivors themselves.

• JimbusCrimbus
    JimbusCrimbus Member Posts: 1,060

You know, that's a lot like how Ethan said "OoO isn't a problem because we have data, and our data is the most data data in the history of all data that has ever been data'd".

That's not how it works. Killers have a high kill rate because the quality of survivor over the last couple of years has plummeted. Most survivors are trash now, and ranking up is far too easy.

Put a group of 4 skilled survivors, even solos, against an equally skilled killer? They have the upper hand. Does that mean they will win? No, but they DO have the upper hand. Literally every DBD tournament that has ever taken place proves this outright.

• Withered8

Red Ranks across platforms. Here's my argument though, how can you so easily just say ahh this killer needs a buff when countless statistics would prove otherwise? Sure I understand some killers need buffs, but where do you draw the line in which statistics tell you "kill rates are getting abnormally high now something needs to be done", because I don't see how one side having a 65% win rate could be passed as balanced, and I doubt it would be in any other game.

• Withered8

Stats mean ALOT more than people think, and so many just glance over them as if they mean nothign in this game. If stats are showing OoO isn't a problem, then that HAS to be taken into consideration, you can't just ignore statistics which show how successful the perks/characters etc are. Sure OoO can be problematic especially against prep killers when in 4man and something should be done to adress this, but it is clearly far less of a problem than people make it out to be and compared to other thigns in this game. If a perk in a swf is popping up once in 50 games and makes the game a challenge, what does it matter? You don't need to win every game and it's good to throw in a very hard game every noun then, especialyl consdering the amoutn of killers who sweat like there's no tomorrow against solo lobbies and chill survivors.

• JimbusCrimbus
    JimbusCrimbus Member Posts: 1,060

Except, blanket defining something this specific BASED on LARGE DATA collecting has way too many flaws to be taken seriously.

• Withered8

Ur treading some very dangerous waters in terms of game balacne when you start ignoring win percentages, especially when some killers are pushing 25% above the balanced win rate. Are you trying to say that 25% of wins do not count and are accumulative of skewed matches?

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911

Tunneling dosent win you games not unless the surviors gives you the free win. Slugging is way better method of victory. Baseline kindred would do a lot to help this imo.

Pushing out one survivor involves likely eating ds and giving free reign on gens which can be hammered out very fast. If someone thinks there good for tunneling gg em and move on no point getting fussed about how they play. Eventually they will get punished for this playstyle. I did and learned much more effective ways to win games.

You never should let the opponent define the reasons why you lost. You should use introspection and examine your play patterns looking for ways to improve sometimes you can't do mucj but likely there always decision points you cpuld have made that would have yielded more time for your team.

• Withered8
    edited December 2020

I could pick apart so many things from that video but here's what i will say.

Yes statistics shouldn't be what balance descisions are based around HOWEVER at some point you do need to look at them as they do mean something and refelct alot more about the game than people realise. Although nurse has the lowest kill rate, it's still over 50% so technically if good and bad nurses combined can get a kill rate of that, then i don't see how anyone could every think she needs a buff regardless of how strong we all know good nurses can be, so that's not a valid argument.

When is the cut off point, where do you draw the line? If 75% killrate is fine, then what about 80, what about 90, what happens when you approach 100. Is that balanced?

What happens if a killer has a 25% kill rate. Are you sayign that that would be completely ignored and shrugged off as skewed data?

Also just because Scott Jund said somethign doesn't mean I'm automatically wrong and that my point doesn't matter.

• ccactus623
    ccactus623 Member Posts: 214

Killing the survivors is the point of the game, if you want to ignore the easy target in front of you then that's your decision but that's not the best choice. If you have over 4000 hours in the game you know exactly why people tunnel. If you're at one gen with 4 people alive and two are on death hook you need to chase one of them and not someone who's not been hooked.

• MythMage
    MythMage Member Posts: 521

Exactly. Actual malicious tunneling is bullshit, but most of what survivors see as "tunneling" is just going for the easiest and/or most valuable target available. Why would I go after the healthy Steve I haven't seen all game when I can go after this Exhausted and injured Kate that is on death hook?

• Klakky
    Klakky Member Posts: 444
    edited December 2020

I rarely ever tunnel if they tbag me at pallet then I focus on that survivor but I did it maybe 10x out of 1000 games.

However survivors accuse me of tunneling often, if someone is infront of me I'm gonna hit them I'm not just gonna pretend I didn't see them, if they ran straight at me, if they come at me with borrowed time I'm hitting them, if i don't see other survivors that's the only one I could chase....

I prefer going for healthy ones though while injured healing so they don't really do gens then, but if I down someone for 3rd time too quick I feel bad for em so I go for someone else and let them be picked up.

It depends on the killer but the other day i played with a friend who works alot and we played 4 games, he was camped on first hook every match :/

Managed to trade with him so luckily he escaped one but camping first hook is so aids... Not even bubba or basement or insidious was just a face camp night i guess

Tunneling is rarely a problem if your rescuer has borrowed time and takes a hit, I usually do both and full chase after unhook lasts for 2min(usually 0 gens done cause playing with 2 randoms) but if a killer tunnels at focus on gens u can do 3 gens while the one person is on 2nd hook then pick him up w borrowed time

EDIT: i read a comment not the post whoops! merry xmas.

Punishing tunneling would make survivors run at you hoping u don't hit them so u don't get punished, survivors always abuse a bug trust me

• Windfell
    Windfell Member Posts: 45

Tunnel? A Killer needs to tunnel these days just to slow games down. Mori's would slow games down but are now completely useless and a pointless offering in the Bloodweb.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Killer should be free to choose any target they want, just means you have to do better on your first interaction without banking on the idea that you'll have more chances.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

Here's my 4 step program to enlightenment and ultimate happiness:

• Not caring what other people think about themselves.
    • Not caring what -you think- other people think about themselves.
    • Not caring what other people think about you
    • Not caring what -you think- other people think about you
  • JimPickens666
    JimPickens666 Member Posts: 326

You should be asking for killer buffs

• bkn
    bkn Member Posts: 228

i just want to understand why survivors "tunnelling" their objective is considered as totally fine by most players. But killer "tunneling" is not acceptable...

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

Now now...don't you know that stats don't matter if it doesn't fit their narrative?

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

Honestly a large part of WHY DS and BT are so popular is because of the amount of tunneling. They wouldn't be a problem (or on the devs radar right now) if there wasn't so much tunneling. I only tunnel if survivors get unlucky or I know that the others are better at looping (although it's very rare among the times I tunnel that all 3 are better at looping). I'll also tunnel if I recognize a survivor, can beat them easily in a chase, and know they have DS while I have Dying Light so thing are easier later on. Then I just leave them alone after they hit ds.

• Withered8

Oops yea sorry can't believe i would even mention something like that. What a sin.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

One's an emotionless inanimate object who didn't pay to play the game nor care about what happens to it, the other is a human.

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841

An average game as killer, you could probably get away with hooking 12 times or focusing on 2-3 (so you're not tunnelling, but still eliminating a survivor faster than normal) but sometimes (rarely) against very efficient and good survivors, jts your only way to create and maintain pressure.

Survivors don't want killers to tunnel but proceed to play the most efficient way possible, bitching when the killer does the same in return.

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709

Surprising a killer with 4300 hours can play in any way they want. I am a player with 230 ish hours, I don't have the luxury of out classing nearly 95% of the player base and yet I have learned a couple of things.

1. Tunneling can simply be your best move to do.

2. End game camping can be the best thing you can do.

3. Slugging when other people are around is a good move.

4. Staying near your gens and defending them is a good thing to do.

No matter how you play survivors will find something to complain about while reality is that a killer is far more reliant upon them making mistakes than your own actions as a killer. I have learned that blindly going for tunnels, slugs, camps as your main and only strategy is going to lose you more games and yet people that claim it isn't needed are just as wrong. Killers shouldn't simply play worse and make bad choices, why should they?

People here are enjoying pointing at killrates to determine balance, while kills are not showing the whole picture. Stats and data are great, but what are the stats on gen completions, game speeds, chase times, hook numbers, etc? Kill rates state very little about balance, as it is just one small aspect of the game. A 4 hook to 4 kills, one hook suicides causing teams to be killed... even the developers stated not to conclude things from this one data point.

The matchmaking is totally wack and this skewers the numbers, it skewers the perception that people have. I meet survivors with 5x, 10x and more hours than I have, which if I would let them can run me around the map forever. Chases are the main determining factor in the game balance and the choices of survivors. Killers have some elements that they can influence, but the true determining factor of a match is the response and efficiency of the survivors.

• Callmehandsome
    Callmehandsome Member Posts: 529

Kill rates don't mean anything. I remember back in 2016 when survivors were pretty much gods killers still had over 50% kill rates lmao. But according to the stats survivors never should have been nerfed?

• OniKobayashi
    OniKobayashi Member Posts: 274

And I'm tired of SWFs who use DS and DH thinking they're good players for using second chance perks. (Regardless of the circumstances.)

• Hex_UrbanEvasion
    Hex_UrbanEvasion Member Posts: 200

For real. Every time I meet a killer who's mad about gen rushing or telling survivors that if they didn't want to give them a "free hook" they shouldn't have been so close, I want to reach through my computer screen and slap them. They are people playing a game with you. They have two objectives, do the generators and open the gate. Equating "rushing" generators with tunneling is weak and flawed. "But I'm the killer, I'm supposed to kill!" You're supposed to hook people. Incidentally, if they're hooked enough times, they die. This isn't some "by any means necessary" massacre for killers, so they should stop expecting it to be.

I admit, as a killer, I'm not great. I probably give too many chances to make games more interesting or give people opportunities to get points. I just find it distasteful to take one person out as fast as possible, ruining their chance to actually play, when I can just as easily go after someone else.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152
    edited December 2020

Another problem in this game is mindset vs mindset. Casual like you and me as a killer vs casual = good times. But there is a really not insignificant amount of players on both sides with a "must win" or tryhard mindset and now casual vs tryhard is annoying for everyone involved. And tryhard vs tryhard becomes more and more the norm, especially once a casual mindset gets turned into a tryhard one by toxicity from the opposition.

This game does not separate or match even mindsets or skill since they dont have normal/ranked queue separation and by now any helpful form of matchmaking when the duration of the queue widens the filter even more.

And when casual friendly player get set against also casual player but with a sever experience/skill gap it can also drive the lower side into a tryhard mindset.

Edit: I hate autocorrect.

• Hex_UrbanEvasion
    Hex_UrbanEvasion Member Posts: 200
    edited December 2020

Well said. That kinda shook all the pieces in my brain into order. I never considered myself as a more casual player, but I guess I really am. To me, this is a game, which is meant to be played, with other people. It's possible for both sides, even though they have opposing goals, to be successful and have fun. Other players really don't care about enjoying it for being a game. They see the opposing goals through a lens of victory or defeat, and people hate losing.

I've wished this game could have casual/ranked queues, but I know it's not possible. Sigh.

• Withered8

OBVIOUSLY thigns were busted in 2016 dbd and you need to take into account game expereiences BUT stats aren't useless. You still have to take them into account regardless of whether you like them or not. 5 or 10% kill rate leeway is fine but when ur getting killers who are 25% OVER the balanced killrate, it's more than past time to ask questions.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210

Well, tunneling can be the most effective way to play killer. The real question is: Are you taking the potential DS or not. ^^

3 vs. 1 is much more chilled, that's why some killers only tunnel early to play more "fair" after that. At least that's a strategy i use sometimes. Also expect more tunneling and camping when gens are done to quick. Many killers play by ear. Action - Reaction.

• Callmehandsome
    Callmehandsome Member Posts: 529

Well it still has exactly the same concept. If i remember correctly less than 1% of the players have ever reached rank 1 survivor or killer, so majority of the players are inexperienced. Survivors have much harder skill-cap than killers, noob killer will always dominate noob survivors, so it's major reason why kill rates will stay high. If you push kill rates back down to 50% ish it will mean game will be heavily unbalanced for killers, just like in 2016. I waited 45 mins-1 hour with my friends for a game and we didn't find any, because nobody wanted to play killer how unbalanced it was.

• valvarez4
    valvarez4 Member Posts: 868

because selfish people always play killer because they need to feel powerful

• Withered8

If less than 1% of players have made it to rank 1, shouldnt the red rank stats be more accurate? If killer gets harder as you get up ranks then why does the kill rate increase the higher the rank you go?