What are your opinions on Spine Chill?

2»

Answers

• WraithBaby
    WraithBaby Member Posts: 15

Thank you for replying to my question! I like seeing different opinions and reasoning so I can better understand other people's view points. I actually rely on bond a lot. It's a great information perk. I always run it before anything else. That's just my play style.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,373

36 metres only gives you about 8 seconds to creep off a gen which would therefore be a maximum of 16 metres until the killer reaches the gen you were on. In turn, this only gives you about 4 extra seconds in chase seeing as the majority of the time, 16 metres isn't enough space to lose a killer in.

• indieeden7

If it didn't work through walls, it wouldn't have much of a purpose, you can move your camera around when working on a gen, survivors don't need told they're being looked at when they can see the killer themselves.

• indieeden7

You get Spine Chill's notification less than a second before the TR becomes audible on the majority of killers.

• nikkim
    nikkim Member Posts: 68

How is it unfair? Lol. I love this perk.

• WraithBaby
    WraithBaby Member Posts: 15

I've just noticed that a lot of stealth killers, myers and ghost face especially, really suffer from spine Chill. Although it is kind of funny creeping off of a gen in time to watch a killer search the area only to find no survivors around lol.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

It shouldn't work with killers who have stealth abilities. It should also have the meter decreased or some type of cool down. It offers alot with no drawbacks.

• indieeden7

It already decreases skillcheck success zones and increases the chance of getting skillchecks (these aren't really big drawbacks though) however it doesn't offer that much other than information against stealth killers. A killer could be looking in your direction for the entirety of a gen and you would save less than 5 seconds doing said gen.

• nikkim
    nikkim Member Posts: 68

Lmfaooo. Yeah I understand that. And yes hahaa. Especially ghost face how he’s so sneaky, that’s why I use it csuse they don’t have tr. So at least it gives you a chance. But yeah I understand!

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

It's fine.

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

As someone who loves to play stealth killers when playing killer, I can say I hate when survivor's use Spine Chill. It gives too much information about the killers whereabouts and when they're heading towards you, not to mention it literally speeds up everything (including vaulting) and skill check success zones are larger making them easier to hit. It kinda needs to be checked for multiple reason.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882

From my experience in solo queue red ranks, it turns people into terrible survivors. They'll miss skill checks when it triggers, run away from the gen at the sight of it lighting up, and more than often end up running into the killer for a free hit or down because they have no sense of direction of where the killer is.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

If they ever nerf it I would hope they'd improve other perks like it.

Premonition for example is just bad. No one would use Premonition over Spine Chill currently it's silly.

The issue I find with wanting to nerf Spine Chill's detection capabilities/give it a cooldown is that, if you make it last a few seconds and then go on a lengthy cooldown, the skill check and % boost to actions side of SC becomes mostly unusable in chases once it would be on cooldown which seems kind of sad (Rip window vault speed).

I think if anything the range of SC detection should be nerfed. Over all it is potentially a very powerful perk but mostly because it does many small, useful things that add up. It's still very easy for newbies to develop a reliance on it and make mistakes while using it however and so, I honestly don't think it is broken or in the same tier as DS.

Like I said I would love to see Premonition and other underused perks get some small buffs or QoL changes to make them more attractive and hopefully make people bring those instead of Spine Chill because let's be honest: if you nerf the crap out of Spine Chill and give it a lengthy cooldown, how is that any different from Premonition?

That's just stale

• FreakPrince
    FreakPrince Member Posts: 526

It’s the strongest perk in the game and people don’t realize it because they don’t know how to use it.

I hope they never change it, it’s my guilty pleasure.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

I play Myers as my main Killer; more specifically I play Spooky Myers (Cracked Mirror+Boyfriend's Memo) as often as I can. Spine Chill is the best defense against me. Am I crying to get it nerfed? No. I simply learned to play around it and/or live with it. I feel the same about DS and all the other Perks that seem to rile people up. Do I have opinions on how I would love to see things tweaked? Sure. Everyone has opinions. But I don't get upset playing against the versions we have now, nor do I think the world will end if things are altered.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

Think it's fine. Just tells you when killer is looking in your direction, not the direction they are coming from, though most of the time you can make a good guess. It's just useful for putting yourself on high alert. It's really only effective against 4-5 killers out of currently 22, the rest you know they are coming just by the heartbeat. Like Calm Spirit against a Doc, you are glad to have it when he's played, but otherwise it is nominal value.

It's equivalent to Whispers in my opinion - which can be used to triangulate a survivor's position. There's no real drawbacks for Whispers and there shouldn't be for perks - then they aren't really perks in my opinion (No Mither, MoM).

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    edited December 2020

It's totally fine.

Honestly, Spine Chill is one of the best perks in the game IMO, because you can't just equip it and then press E or hit a skillcheck to outplay.

Survivors need map knowledge and situational awareness to make the best usage out of it; otherwise they can end up uselessly crouching in a corner being the Killer's teammate.

It's basically the Survivor version of Whispers, but with counterplay, because I can turn my camera to avoid triggering your Spine Chill if I figure out you have it.

The perk is in a good spot.

-

I will say that Tier 1 Myers does get screwed by this perk, but that's more Tier 1 Myers sucking and less Spine Chill being too powerful.

Like don't nerf Spine Chill, buff Myers.

• Mazoobi
    Mazoobi Member Posts: 1,565

Its fine how it is IMO, I personally run this perk when I play solo for the info it gives. Being chased isn't my favorite thing in the game so having an alert for me is nice. It's not a guaranteed chance that you'll be safe tho as the killer may have a chance to see you leaving the gen or managed to walk right into you as you were heading out. It's a strong perk that does it's job well. 4/5 stars for me.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210

Easily my favorite survivor perk. I can't stop using it, I feel blind without it

• remoirel
    remoirel Member Posts: 231

I'd love to see it nerfed in some way, because all it does is teaches you bad habits.

When you play Survivor, you can tell who on your team has spine chill, cos they'll start walking away the moment it lights up to go hide somewhere instead of commit to a 95% generator. I've even had a guy who had Spine Chill and BT, not save me because his Spine Chill was lit up and 'he wanted to wait for the perfect moment'

When you play Killer, you can tell which survivors have spine chill because, yeah half the time you'll see them on bbq and they'll be gone from the gen when you get there, but when you DO find them, they don't know how to run the killer and get downed way too fast.

Not to mention playing Killer against multiple immersed players is boring as hell, because all it does is drags the game on way longer than it needs to be as they refuse to do anything unless they can safely do it and never be noticed. bleh.

• indieeden7
    edited December 2020

Skill check success zones are actually smaller, not only that but the action speed increase is minimal, a killer could be looking at you for a whole gen's worth of time and less than 5 seconds would be saved overall.

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

My bad, thank you for correcting me about the skill checks.

• Alphamav
    Alphamav Member Posts: 44

Chiming in as a newer player, I rely on crutches like kindred and spine chill and sill die very often. When I get better, then I'll have more fun with the other perks. Not everybody has great eyes and ears, i.e. good monitor/headset situations. Maybe make perk-nerfing level-dependent e.g. purple/red-ranks get the spine chill cooldown...

• valvarez4
    valvarez4 Member Posts: 868

I used to play with spine chill. Now I play With dead hard and I won’t play with it anymore. Do you really think nerfing no meta perks will help killers?

• andrufb
    andrufb Member Posts: 4

I don't ever feel bothered by it as killer since you can just counter it by crab-walking towards gens or hooks. People just seem to forget it exists and don't play around it like they do with DS and Unbreakable. It's a pretty common perk too!

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

It's ridiculous that it works on stealth killers. I never run that perk myself because I like to feeling in the beginning not knowing who the killer is or if the killer is very close or not. You take away any scary part of the game with that perk so it's not fun and not fair.

• Killmaster
    Killmaster Member Posts: 429
    edited December 2020

I'd say spine chills greatest strength is the ability to waste the killers time exponentially, if you can avoid a chase all together while the killer waste time checking lockers and spinning around trees you've saved far more time for your team then wasting pallets and getting hooked. Killer doesn't find anyone they have to run off, I hop back on the gen, rinse and repeat when he comes, throw on fixated and you can walk away from any gen safely and far beyond where the killer would ever expect you to be.

• Katie_met
    Katie_met Member Posts: 422

I use it to avoid being jumpscared. If it got nerfed or changed then I'd probably stop playing survivor.

• PleaseBePatient
    PleaseBePatient Member Posts: 14

I stopped using it so I would get jump scares! Myers matches are my favorites.

• Freddy96
    Freddy96 Member Posts: 767

Wait are people actually asking for it to be nerfed for real or is it just some new trolling i wasn't aware about?

It's a decent perk only because it actually helps against stealth killers, if they remove this ability why should someone ever use it? The outstanding 6% speed boost on gens for like 3seconds before the killer can reach you or for the amazing 0,03 seconds shaved off at each fast vault?

• SaintDorks
    SaintDorks Member Posts: 252

As a Killer, It helps some people..But If people cling to It they end up being a chicken and even If I am not near them hiding..So,It can be used against people as much as for them.

As a Survior, I do run It on some builds..Because, the extra knowledge is helpful..But, around higher ranks Killers will figure out you are lurking around somewhere

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    TheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264
    edited December 2020

It's kind of OP in 1 v 1, so you can imagine this perk on a team,and breaks serval of the stealth perks and stealth killer powers.I've never had a great stealth game with someone using Spine Chill,it always ruins the experience for me.

And people combine this with resilience correct?

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

I've run spine chill in 80 to 90 percent of my matches over the past 2 years for 2 reasons: the killer never does anything that counters it and I don't have to rely on exhaustion perks to maintain a safe distance from all the killers.

It pairs very well with adrenaline at the end of the game and the fast vaults get that little extra at the end to shrug off the phantom hits.

Not a perk for everybody seeing as the info spine chill provides requires a bit of experience against alot of different killers in regards to what choices you have in a chase but once you've used it for awhile you'll never want to play without it.

If there was a killer counterpart it would be whispers just because there is so little the opposing party can do to avoid the plays and actions the perk provides.

• ChiTenshi
    ChiTenshi Member Posts: 877

Hence why Ghostface and Mike Myers are useless (along with some other stealth Killers).

• indieeden7

So, your idea of making a perk weaker against stealth killers is to delete all functionality of the perk?

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

As someone that runs Spine Chill all the time, I'd be okay if it were disabled when you have the Oblivious effect, however I'd only be okay with that if Dream World didn't inflict Oblivious by default (put it on an add-on like Pill Bottle or Z Block). Otherwise I think it's fine. If you know a survivor has it (which is the hardest thing about the perk) then you can mess with them by moonwalking a lot.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Most stealth killers can play around it by looking slightly to the side.

Really sucks for Myers and Ghostface though.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,843

Apparently spine chill is more of an issue than ds bt dead hard unbreakable.

Some people’s responses really just show the bias they have

• ChiTenshi
    ChiTenshi Member Posts: 877

My idea is niching it for use against Stealth Killers (predominantly Stalking Killers). Players use this Perk against all Killers, and it hard-counters Stealth Killers due to it’s range and effectiveness. It needs to be restricted in use and allow suitable counter-play for those it counters. If need be, it can be compensated in other areas to balance it out (alter the speed-up numbers, skill check chances, etc).