Let our voices be heard! We Need Colorblind Settings!

Zagrid
Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000
edited January 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

There is no reason that the game should have gone this long without colorblind settings, especially for the way the game is structured and with how much important information is in the color red such as auras and icons.

So please, BHVR. We need them, and the 1st step to know we are getting them or making progress to getting them is to acknowledge your communtiy.

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on

Comments

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

I faintly recall the devs commented on color blind setting before, maybe in a dev stream...I don't remember what exactly was the reason why they are not pursuing colorblind options.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583

Why would any company intentionally alienate a portion of their own community? That claim doesn't even make any sense.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

the advantage is if it is not implemented properly. and people that are not color blind would switch to using the settings and gain the advantage, where as those that are color blind would not have the advantage but not have an issue. I don't know why they aren't doing much about it and i'd like for there not to be an issue with others over it but i don't want them to implement something just to placate the people and make it badly giving that advantage. anyways I hope you get the settings soon but i hope its put in right.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

They have heard you and many before color blind settings are going to take a while and dont expect it until they are done doing the graphical rework because why would you re color a map just to change it and possibly change the over tint of the map

• Flawless_
    Flawless_ Member Posts: 323
    edited January 2021

Looks like you haven't been around long enough. Why would they alienate their own community you ask...

I'm just gonna leave this here. Make your own conclusions.

Post edited by Flawless_ on
  • chieften333
    chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554

He alienated the people who find killer frustrating by essentially saying their complaints didn't matter.

No developer in their right mind would respond to genuine frustrations with "Just go play something else."

• Flawless_
    edited January 2021

Clearly you don't run a business. Or if you do maybe you shouldn't be. Imagine if Apple was like "didn't like our new phone? Why don't you buy a Galaxy instead?". Or let's say your team isn't doing well this season, and the president of the team tells the fans that well if they don't like the way our team is playing go root for our rivals...do you not see it?

He was talking about the killer experience, you know, 50% of every single match, at at time when the game was in a way worse state than it is today balance-wise and out of all the possible things he could have said he chose to shut down any meaningful dialogue about legitimate issues with a snarky answer. If you take it literally then of course it means what you said but he meant the exact opposite.

Which is what happens with the colorblind issue. They decided at some point that it allegedly gives players an advantage, even though said advantage has never been been demonstrated (as they've never tested colorblind mode). So yes they're choosing not to be inclusive and therefore alienating a segment of their players who have a disability and have been asking this for literally years.

• EvanSnowWolf

No, I don't own a business. But I am in Mental Health, and forcing yourself into a stressful activity is unhealthy. The man literally said the author's words were "a valid opinion".

Just because you want something a certain way doesn't mean you get it. My kids often ask for unhealthy food and demand a drive thru instead. Telling them no is not "alienating a community". The examples given there are asinine.

It is not one team telling you to root for another team. It is someone telling you that if you get stress headaches from watching football, maybe you shouldn't watch football.

Or if your Apple Iphone was causing you to lose sleep at night because of its brightness, maybe you should try a different form of alarm clock.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

That's not answering the viewer's question though.

The viewer is concerned that overall changes to the game has made Killer from being fun to being a stressful role. This isn't an issue of burning out but one of the game's mechanics having changed.

• Flawless_
    edited January 2021

Ah so definitely you didn't get a single hint of sarcasm in his (the game director btw) answer? Oof I you're in Mental Health hopefully you're not telling victims of abuse to take declarations of love from their abusers at face value...I feel like you're trolling at this point. Maybe you're just a casual player who's not aware of how the devs usually interact with the community in this game, and that's ok, but you're posting in the forums so clearly you have some kind of investment. What would you suggest can be done then, to get the devs to include colorblind people in the gameplay experience?

• EvanSnowWolf

1.) No, I would not tell an abuse victim to take declarations of love at face value. I tell abuse victims to get away from their abuser.

2.) Lack of accommodation is not the same thing as alienation. This game has not gone out of its way to exclude people. It just isn't making this particular accommodation. The ADA has all sorts of examples of things that ARE and ARE NOT reasonable accommodations.

3.) For them to include colorblind people, they would need to find a way to implement it in a way that affects ALL colorlbind people (which are not all the same) AND do it in a way in which it doesn't alter regular gameplay. There is no simple and easy solution to that.

• zzzxoren
    zzzxoren Member Posts: 3

no... it's literally changing the colors of the entire game through some sort of filter. if you've ever played on colorblind settings for different games you'd immediately notice that a person with normal vision would find it extremely awkward to look at. the color palette seen throughout most of the game is a red/green with some blues and yellow and orange here and there, with red/green being the most common. red and green are complementary colors which means that it is EXTREMELY easy to see them when they are on top of each other. it's how the hues work to our vision. with this game, the specific colors are MASSIVELY hard to tell apart because most colorblind people cannot see either red or green, or both. to them it is a muddied vision of low chromatic colors that is considerably hard to make out the difference for. auras are mostly in red, green, and yellow. everyone can see white because it's not a color. when this game relies on one of your major senses to be able to play and read the actual gameplay, i'm sure it'd be a really bad struggle when attempting to play this game without a colorblind filter. it's absurd. all the devs are being is incompetent and belligerent.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

You won't see more than a "We'll look into it" anyway.

I feel really sorry for all the colorblind people but BHVR just seems to hate simple QoL changes and accessibility features

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

To be fair, i am redblind, but with the reworked maps, i can actually see gens, even on Ormond, which was the worst map to see gen auras for me. They made the auras somewhat stronger, easier to see, at least for me.

Yeah, and i will most likly never see blood in this game, and while that is a disadvantage, its not as bad as not seeing genauras.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,313

Agreed. And it's completely absurd to claim it shouldn't be a thing because it might give non-colourblind people some sort of advantage when stuff like Nvidia Filters exist and are perfectly legal.

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060

https://www.twitch.tv/almo2001/clip/HelplessHardGiraffeRaccAttack Almo latest respond about color blind settnings. enjoy

• tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539

Off topic but have you heard of Enchroma glasses? It corrects colour blindness for many people. Bad game design or not I'd drop a few hundred bucks on them if I had this condition.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,407

I think they have the awareness. So posting in the forums will not change their mind. They are slow with changes most of the time. Except when theres an outrage like at the halloween event.

I think it would be more effectiv when you had a survey how many people want the colorblind settings. Maybe they did ask this question in their own survey and so it has low priority.

The problem is that this problem doesnt affect most people, so they dont need to care.

• Hex_UrbanEvasion
    Hex_UrbanEvasion Member Posts: 200

Yeah, I know game developers like to act like this is some wild advantage or a difficult thing to accomplish, but it isn't that hard. It can be as simple as a little switch in settings that turns green into blue and red into pink. Or something that adds an outline to auras so you can differentiate them from things. It's hard enough as someone who isn't red-blind to see red auras on red auras, I've had the thought that it must be a [BAD WORD] for colorblind killers in the past.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

Its not about red auras on gens. Before the map revamp, i could not see any aura on ormand. I had to walk around as killer and find those gens like survivor do, not using the aura at all.

• Caleegi
    Caleegi Member Posts: 410

I'm just disappointed in BHVR at this point. Like what the ######### devs. With the new PTB they make it harder for most colourblind people, making even more things red such as exhaustion circle thingy and when people are injured the flashing colour is red. With PTB's there is no point to them anymore as bugs dont get sorted, the devs don't listen to forums, you go in a twitch stream and say something criticising them and you are banned, like #########. DBD is gonna die at this point, i hope they get their act together.

Anyways, after my little rant which isn't really one cause i am so disappointed. Yes they should, they are basically putting a massive middle finger atm to all colourblind people. There won't be an advantage from the colourblind option it will just help those people.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

I'm not colorblind but I wholeheartedly support this. Especially, after the PTB and seeing the status effect icon, which was perfectly fine and nobody ever complained about, being changed to a red circle slapped on another red circle. I genuinely thought it was a troll job. I mean, that's basic design common sense, not even venturing into accessibility territory.

• Zagrid
    Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000

The whole UI needs to be scrapped or at least be remade to fix the Old UI.

I really don't get why they make random changes like that making the exhaustion go from white on nothing to red on orange.

• scottymo
    scottymo Member Posts: 74

Sure there is screens and screw. Settings than can mitigate so of this. Tuning gamma maybe. Hard to accommodate every possible persons need.