Just if anyone’s curious about reverting the hud.

They can revert a bad change but simply refuse to, what a shame.

Comments

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,053

The HUD has an entire new system behind it. It's not just about look and layout. But thing is that the logic here doesn't make sense. Reverting it and keep working on the new system would be an option. An option that they even approached with the MMR e.g.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

Tell me, which game UI have you designed? What games would we know your work from?

I didn't realize that DbD counted so many professional game designers among their fanbase.

• AsherFrost

You must have made some real bangers. What multiplayer game do you design and help develop for a living? Don't be shy, promote your work! I mean, unless you are just guessing and have no actual idea what work is entailed in game design, but think playing games makes you an expert regardless.

• ZaKzan
    ZaKzan Member Posts: 544

It's not terribly hard to design a UI around a small amount of information like what is needed for a game like DBD. Now for games like Crusader Kings or Stellaris where you have economies, armies, intrigue, and politics, the difficulty in designing a crisp UI increases dramatically.

• AsherFrost

For the record. I like the overall look, but have some wishes for changes. I just don't think my dislikes overrule every concern that goes into such a large system overhaul, and am actually willing to give the devs time to show what stuff they want to add in and change. They've kept the game going for years, I think that entitles them to more than 24 hours to prove the change was for the better.

• AsherFrost

I remember those courses from when I was a lad. Good luck, seriously, I hope you do well in class.

The difference between the stuff you'll be doing in your first few years of school and the stuff you'll do in your career once you graduate is a bit like the difference between building a soap box racer and an 18 wheeler. And that's if you only have to worry about people who speak your native language and the visual language of the company you work for already as far as who you design for.

Building a system for speakers of multiple languages to be able to play together with the same level of information, across everything from a handheld gaming device to the highest end pc, while keeping everything a base level of legible, is like building a bus, while standing on top of another bus that Keanu Reeves won't let drop below 50 mph.

That's why I think so many of these "they could fix it, build a better one, etc in 30 minutes" troll comments are so #########.

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685

Although I'm saying "6" months based on Asher's post, the screenshot only mentions "months", so that could be 2/3/4?

• AsherFrost
    edited February 2021

We know they took a single piece overlay and broke it up, which means new scripting under the hood to stop the pieces from jumbling. I'm guessing the vast majority of the work was for stability across platforms, as well as prepping for the elements they want to add in later. Also they had to teach the system to recognize and display each character, which is more difficult than just displaying 4 white busts with names under them. From the livestream they did, it seems clear they changed everything up primarily to give them freedoms down the line to add elements. It'll probably be easier to update as well, as they won't have to take down and edit the entire overlay, just the widget they want to improve. Hopefully they add the option to make them moveable, but that's a small gripe.

IO did the same with Hitman 2 and we ended up getting the best widget to have in a stealth game (silent assasin indicator)

• AsherFrost

I hope so too, but I think their focus will rightly be on fixing the hitboxes and other game breaking glitches, which kind of underscore how big a change was made, (after all, the ui doesn't register hits directly, so just updating the look should not have messed that up)

• JPA

Yeah 100% the desync issues should be the priority! Yes it is bewildering how this update has broken the game in such a major way and also somehow messed up the pipping and ranking system 😅

• AsherFrost

If I had to guess, I would say the pip issue is likely because of some update they made to prep for the mmr system to make its (hopefully triumphant) return. They've said when that releases the rank system will serve a completely different purpose, so they probably have to prep for that.

• PureHostility
    PureHostility Member Posts: 708

People complain mostly about LAYOUT of the UI, because it is terrible for anything but mobile. Person who designed it probably never did any kind of research how such stuff should function to be ergonomic for the user.

Thus, we have horrible mess of the UI with crucial information being FAR AWAY from the eye focus and useless stuff that barely needs to be checked are where they currently are.

Also not to mention worthless information being displayed on the screen (killer's hook progression... Why? It serves completely no purpose).

Currently, UI needs to be shifted around, so important Info is close to the eye focus zone and displayed information should be read with just a glimpse of the eye.

It is basic stuff.

Changing this should take a single person just few hours. It is literally just a few changes in the code in regards to the coordinates of widgets and their location on the screen.

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649

And she’s the Lead Community Manager? Lol ok.

• AsherFrost
    edited February 2021

According to his linked in, scott was a beta tester. Not a designer, not a programmer, which explains why now he's paid to play games, and not make them.

It took him an hour to make an image of a ui, have you or anyone else actually used it? How stable is it? Does it work on every platform, or just pc?

It looks like he made a static overlay. He's a professional streamer, so I would worry about his ability if that took him much longer than an hour, but as you sent a video link and not a link to the game he put it in, or the site to download the mod, it appears a static image is all he created.

• JPA

lol his UI is literally two functions he wrote in notepad, it's a toy example. There's a huge difference between writing out some mock example code and actually writing code that compiles, runs, passes tests, and then feels right when you run the game.

Real engineering includes design, implementation, testing, all of this takes time and the process involves multiple teams

Also adding these changes to an existing code base comes with lots of complexity and even more time required to add and test. Scott's example is useless and betrays his ignorance and also seriously undermines my confidence in him doing any real engineering work in the past

• AsherFrost

Damn, that's what I get for skipping through the 15 minutes of ranting looking for it. I gave him too much credit.

At least now we know why there are so many people clinging to the "they could fix it in an hour" fantasy.

• JPA

I'm a big fan of Scott and love this videos, and while I agree he is in the right ballpark that UI is one of the easier things to fix, I just get triggered when people underestimate any sort of programming task, especially when using such a trivial example. The number one thing I think developers quickly learn is that most tasks are usually going to take longer than you initially think, and there's usually hidden work. Unless you are working on a super clean codebase which you know inside out, and your problem is very well scoped (probably not the case at BHVR, unfortunately)

• AsherFrost
    edited February 2021

I'm the same way with programming or network tasks. Too much time at work hearing "well can't we just make x do something different before the client gets here at noon?" Or for a more real example "hey, so turns out that the client uses lotus notes, not outlook. So we need the system to pull addresses from their linux db they attached to the lotus server indirectly, instead of reading an exchange server. Anyway, go live is in 45 minutes, good luck!"

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,501
    edited February 2021

I think he was just doing it to demonstrate how much you can get done in like a hour and saying "how tf does this take 6 months" especially since he did work with designers in the past and back then it probably didnt take 6 months to do a UI. He even says hes just disproving them falling back on the excuse "we devoted months to this". Even rpgs dont look like that monstrosity we got. It looks like mobile lol.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

Notice it says month(s) with an S. That could mean two months. Also, they wouldn’t have to worry about months of work being for nothing if they had communicated better and not tried cramming this down our collective throats. Not our fault we didn’t like it in the majority.

i know if I’m going to paint my kid’s room, I at least ask for a few color preferences before I paint it. Just saying.

• Mileena_Kahn
    Mileena_Kahn Member Posts: 600

I’ve posted threads like this and I got so much hate. I agree with you.

• OBX
    OBX Member Posts: 854

If that is the product of 6 months of hard work, they need to reevaluate the folks who are doing said work. It shows in the resulting product.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

this could have all been avoided if they just shown us their progress on the UI so we could give feedback on what was wrong with it before it even reached PTB.

Like they dug themselves this hole they released it into the PTB where it was basically already embedded into the code and they didn't ask once what we thought of it before it was already decided that it would go into the live game.

• DIns
    DIns Member Posts: 15

"We can't go back, deal with it" is what management/authority says to those under them when they realize they messed up but don't want to be questioned about it.

• ryankickassrb
    ryankickassrb Member Posts: 46

The UI isnt even that big of a deal, y'all just a bunch of babies. Yeah, it's bad but you guys are treating it like they've just killed your parents or something. The UI just needs some tweaks in the layout of it and not a revert to the previous one. Survivor animations are a bigger problem because they feel slow and clunky and the idle pose looks unrealistic for the situation we are in.

• TheVVitch
    TheVVitch Member Posts: 224

Y'all really on here complaining about UI. It'll take time to adjust to the changes, but damn... it's not that big of a deal. Critiquing the new HUD for future changes is one thing, asking for a revert of something the team has worked hard on to improve is just childish.

"I don't like this change so revert it."

Be constructive and realistic with your criticism.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,227
    edited February 2021

Months to make a UI in Unreal Engine. I don't even know what to say that. Like I'm genuinely mystified. What about this could have possibly taken more than a week for a single person working full time? It's not even aligned correctly. Hello?

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Knew they weren't going to change the HUD back.

Remember the surveys they get us to fill out asking what we want?! No, me neither.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425

They don't have to revert it, they just need to move the icons around. That shouldn't be very hard at all.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

The hook-o-meter for killers is especially egregious and pointless. I really hate that thing.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

Why don't they involve the community + get feedback for ideas/proposals earlier? For their sake as well, rather than work on something for ages which everyone then hates.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

I always viewed "we can't go back" meaning it would require so much work, delay other projects, and cost a lot to do they aren't willing to do it. Not that it was literally impossible to make it happen technologically. I dont think thats what was ever meant to be communicated. I think they saw this as something that needed to change eventually and knew there would be a lot of issues with it (the fact the hud would change regardless of how it looked) that they prepared to move forward anyways. Now I have issues with it although much more minor than others.

• NocturnalPie
    NocturnalPie Member Posts: 25

Imagine wasting 6 months of development time when you could have consistently updated the community on it and gotten feedback throughout development. At this rate they're gonna fall victim to the sunken cost fallacy. Better to cut their losses now than sustain even greater ones later.

• ChantyBoi
    ChantyBoi Member Posts: 179

ScottJund has already made this point. But there's just no possible way it took months to do this. Then again looking at the other post from not queen the devs apparently only do 3-4 days of work in a month so maybe it really DID take months to make. But in all seriousness I entirely agree that they wouldn't NEED to undo "months" of work if they were more transparent about what they're working on.

• pixelfixed
    pixelfixed Member Posts: 40

yeah guys. it's not that big of a deal. they took out all relevant information and replaced it with large crappy survivor images. just play without info. totally fine.