Custom icon in 4.5.0

EvaZioN
EvaZioN Member Posts: 5
edited February 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

Hello.

I create custom icons for the dead by daylight community

In the last update it is no longer possible to see the custom icons in the current game.

Now this is what it looks like:

But custom icons are still available in the menu:

And this is what the game looked like with custom icons before the last update

So after this new update I unfortunately saw a lot of players quit the game because they can no longer see the custom icons in games...

It is always possible to offer my custom icons if the developers change the way the icons work in the game

Because the custom icons are displayed above the real icons, that is to say that the normal game icons are always displayed even if we do not see them.

For example in the update 4.3.0 The developers have changed the display of portraits in the game

To make it simple they deleted files CharPortraits and they are moved the files in folders not customizable by the game

But we can always modify them because we just have to hand over the file CharPortraits and the icons will be placed above the real game icons.

It would be possible to do exactly the same for the other icon

The developers had surprisingly specified for the portraits that after this update they had to be reinstalled

This means that the developers still care about custom icons to specify this sentence.

Here is the update link to check be yourself:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/kb/articles/247-4-3-0-mid-chapter

note: I already tried to ask a question about this change to behavior

That was one of the most asked questions but they didn't answer

Here is the update link to check be yourself:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/221945/can-we-continue-to-use-custom-icons-after-the-next-update/p1?new=1

To conclude this post, in a future update, we will be able to modify its icons as before ?

Post edited by EvaZioN on

Comments

• Fenril
    Fenril Member Posts: 47

Seriously, guys... The game has lost half of its fun, at least for me. I really miss my custom icons. I want them back. Please, make it possible again. We usually don't ask much of you. Not if we are to be compared with other games communities. Help us.

• ItzZane_
    ItzZane_ Member Posts: 965

Bring back custom icons! It makes the game a lot more fun also if you don't a lot of players will stop playing the game which will result in your game dying

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,778

Prolly to be consistent across all platforms, as this cannot be done on console. I do not think mobile can use them either, but that's another team.

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649

So what if this can’t be done on consoles or mobile? :\

• JPLongstreet

From what I've seen, these devs tend to consider all platforms together, not wishing to split their playerbase.

• Top_Secret_117
    Top_Secret_117 Member Posts: 154
    edited February 2021

I just put a post out for this, I've created many icons and used many others, this is seriously a dark week for the game. 2k+ hours and this game is super boring without my usual icon flairs. I had custom packs for certain perks as I currently have all perks unlocked and it can be overwhelming sometimes to try to find a single perk. Hardcore perks? blood background. Meta perks? gold background. fun perks? neon boarders. These Icons look visually appealing and serve multiple purposes.

BHVR Take control of your game, and get ahold of the anti cheat and set a boundary, why are they such push overs all the time?

• DoomedMind
    DoomedMind Member Posts: 793

I support this, custom Icon has to live.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,017

I'm p sure what they did was unintended. But yeah I hope they add custom perk icons back. Your custom perk icons look really nice btw, I love them!

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649

They’re custom icons, in what way would the playerbase be split? It doesn’t make sense. If this is so important to them then why haven’t they added pre/post game chat for consoles so everyone can chat together regardless of the platform they’re on?

• JPLongstreet

Rumor has it that chat is due out this summer, but can't trust rumors much. Recently the devs have been more communicative than in the past, but we are not exactly overloaded with info either as to what and when.

A new roadmap would be amazing.

• Top_Secret_117
    Top_Secret_117 Member Posts: 154

If this happens there gonna cause a split by trying to prevent a split

• Peppa_Pigsaw
    Peppa_Pigsaw Member Posts: 184

Yeah they'll add it back.

Probably as in game microtransactions because the money they make from their overpriced cosmetics wasn't enough. It wouldn't surprise me at this point, considering how greedy and anti consumer this company is.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

They're neat, seriously. Wish they just make icons customization so Console players could customize the perks too.

But whoever quits over something like this is just acting like a spoiled brat.

• Tropicola
    Tropicola Member Posts: 2

i miss seeing them in game! I would love for the icon community to continue thriving and making great icons for all of us to use. Pls BHVR, it would make this community happy <3

• emulator
    emulator Member Posts: 1

I am not an icon pack creator, but I have developed automation tools for custom icons and icon packs. As a user of custom icons, I was incredibly disappointed and shocked to see that custom icons were no longer supported in the latest update, not to mention the slew of other problems this update brings. Custom icons are used by MANY content creators (such as No0b3, ZubatLEL, etc.) that stream and upload videos of Dead by Daylight. Taking these away from the community would be a shame. Having the slightest ability to customize the game without having to pay with in-game currency was something I enjoyed. Please, devs, bring them back.

• Alionis
    Alionis Member Posts: 1,024

This is a short PSA for everyone who thinks the devs locked the in-game icons: it's not that.

What happened is that unlike the menu still does, the new HUD no longer uses the icons from the game folder, but has an internal cache it refers to.

Why they did that, we can only speculate on. In order to show the custom icons in-game again, they would need to tell the new HUD to use the game folder icons again.

• BlooD110
    BlooD110 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2021

Please, give us the custom icons back!

How can we ignore such amazing works like this?

• Tremo
    Tremo Member Posts: 2

I would also love to see support for custom perk icons re-added into the game. It's so cool to see all different members of the community making their own artworks and the likes and there's lots of people using them. It doesn't offer any advantage at all and is just something that is really cool and can give people a sense of uniqueness. Please re-add support for custom icons.

• SlugSmirk
    SlugSmirk Member Posts: 1

I am of the masses that would love to see custom icons return. I am a relatively new player that felt that the UI wasn't terrible but the inaccessibility of custom icons in the new UI is rather disappointing. I feel like this is an easy fix on the dev side of things and it shouldn't break the UI if that's the concern. As another commenter said, just allow the icons to be pulled from the icon folder again while in game. Love the game, just want my cool looking icons :)

• Ashensakar
    Ashensakar Member Posts: 1

As a user of custom icons, Please fix this.

• JimmyCasket
    JimmyCasket Member Posts: 138

Yeah, I am a little saddened that not one mod or any kinda forum staff have commented here :c