The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Camping and tunneling, any fixes or bans?

13»

Comments

• ThirdSealOPplzNerf
    ThirdSealOPplzNerf Member Posts: 360

Any fixes/bans for camping gens and pallet looping?

• purebalance
    purebalance Member Posts: 661

@Chrona said:
    purebalance said:

@Chrona said:

In a word, no.

Camping is literally an intregal part and even an advertised strategy for this game

@Chrona said:

In a word, no.

Camping is literally an intregal part and even an advertised strategy for this game

100% false otherwise they wouldn't have implemented that you lose rank points for camping.

It should be blood points that you lose though and actually tell them on screen since most tardo campers don't even look at the pip screen data.

Sorry, couldn't hear you over the sound of my rank continiously going up despite me not changing how I play (including camping).

And if they make it so you outright can't camp, and are actively punished for it, THAT will actually cause the game to die

@Chrona said:
    purebalance said:

@Chrona said:

In a word, no.

@Chrona said:

In a word, no.

100% false otherwise they wouldn't have implemented that you lose rank points for camping.

It should be blood points that you lose though and actually tell them on screen since most tardo campers don't even look at the pip screen data.

Sorry, couldn't hear you over the sound of my rank continiously going up despite me not changing how I play (including camping).

And if they make it so you outright can't camp, and are actively punished for it, THAT will actually cause the game to die

I'm sorry, but it doesn't change what I said. The punishment is not enough, but it is there which indicates they do not support it as a playstyle.

• purebalance

@Wolf74 said:

@purebalance said:

@Chrona said:
    In a word, no.

@Chrona said:
    In a word, no.

Nope, YOU are false here. It was always an intended feature in the game. Check out the early dev streams for prove.
    The only reason the Devs caved in and started giving penalties to killer for camping is because the crybaby survivor complains.
    It's just survivor trying to get free unhooks, just like you.
    The day killer lose bloodpoints for camping, killer wills top playing completely and leave you in your lobbies forever.
    How about survivor lose bloodpoints for "camping gens"?
    Would that sound fair?

Weird that "intended parts of the game" have a distinct punishment involved..... sorry buddy they've made it clear as of now it isn't.

• Minute
    Minute Member Posts: 10

How about having actual map pressure? I very rarely ever feel forced to camp / intentionally tunnel someone within 20 seconds out of the match (bc you know they're going to DC) because I play my Hag correctly. I do my setup expecting a couple of generators to go by. As Freddy I've had 3 gens pop on me on first hook and I still 4k bc I got my momentum going properly. If you're that concerned about pallet looping, you have Hag for those and also Freddy for slowing generator progression. Many pallets/loops aren't as safe as they once were. If you get even just a bit of a lead on a survivor by moonwalking, going the other way, etc. it's often enough for a hit.

If the survivors are the 10% that are competent and focus on doing their objectives, they deserve the win in my book. I don't need to turn into a salt machine that camps at the first sign of trouble. I'm not generalizing either, this is absolutely the truth at rank 1 as both a solo and SWF survivor.

• Sandman1053
    Sandman1053 Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2018
    I am an open minded individual. I am seeing both sides of this.

Plain and simple...
    Gen rush = camping and...
    Camping = gen rush

Only 1 real solution to this problem.
    Like I just previously said... Save it for those that DESERVE it. That goes for BOTH sides. Drawing out that game gets more bloodpoints all around. Not real difficult to understand. If EITHER side is just out for the W it's gonna kill the game for the other side. If we can ALL stop being so petty and selfish everyone would have an enjoyable experience. And THAT is why we all started playing in the first place... to have fun.
    Post edited by Sandman1053 on
  • Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

@purebalance said:

@Wolf74 said:

@purebalance said:

@Chrona said:
    In a word, no.

@Chrona said:
    In a word, no.

Nope, YOU are false here. It was always an intended feature in the game. Check out the early dev streams for prove.
    The only reason the Devs caved in and started giving penalties to killer for camping is because the crybaby survivor complains.
    The day killer lose bloodpoints for camping, killer wills top playing completely and leave you in your lobbies forever.
    Would that sound fair?

Weird that "intended parts of the game" have a distinct punishment involved..... sorry buddy they've made it clear as of now it isn't.

It doesn't become true just because you repeat it.
    There are tons of streams and statements from the Devs that "camping" is part of the game.
    So please stop lying.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    edited November 2018

@Wolf74 said:

@purebalance said:

@Chrona said:
    In a word, no.

@Chrona said:
    In a word, no.

Would that sound fair?

Weird that the (very minimal btw) reduced points for camping only came after loads of survivor cries and even then is ONLY if theres nobody else around. A survivor lurking for an unhook? Theres literally zero penalty for sitting and watching the hooked wait.
  • NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Vert3x said:

Tunneling and camping have always been debated but they start deserving a little more attention now that survivors got nerfed in everything and that we would be given limits even in taking a #########.

It's time to give some importance to the harsh experiences that survivors have in this game as well as it's been given to those that the killer had, and one of these is to deal with tunnelers and campers; not one good killer main needs that, many of them disagree with that play style and it's in general really unfair and unfun.

Not once you could say that it's fun to get camped or tunneled, and you don't want the game to be unfun for neither one of the sides, don't you, Behav10ur?

Survivors used to be hard to be gotten on their first hook, so, to a limited extent, camping was even justifiable; but now being hooked is something that has to happen by force at least once during your game unless you're playing immersed or the killer is playing his first game on Dead by Daylight, and thus the killers shouldn't be granted the possibility to play unfair against you in the moments when you're most vulnerable and when you can't do anything at all.

If I was to play with a Survive With Friends team, not only I would have an easier chance with some teamplay to escape the tunneling/camping, but I'd also understand why the killer would do that, because he's having a hard time too in doing anything against us and he might be inexperienced and feel the necessity to play somewhat unfair.

But now we're coming down to the point why I'm writing this post: I can't conceive dying to this unfair play style when I'm playing solo, I'm not using any "crutch" perk or addon and I'm not teasing the killer in any way at all. This just can't happen and be all normal, especially if I'm on rank 1, killers that play like scumbags shouldn't reach any rank higher than 15, and that's it.

Do you want this not to be bannable? Don't make it bannable, it's fine, but prevent it to the fullest from happening, give the killer some huge debuffs if he tries to hit the just unhooked survivor as well as giving no damage to the survivor himself, freeze him if he stands around the hook for too long, don't let this ######### happen anymore, these are just ideas:
    it's the end of 2018 and if there's one toxic and lame strategy (which you bhvr guys loved to call "legitimate" and "valid") that ruined the game since its beginning and that probably caused many players to quit it from the gold time that it had in 2016, that is the killer sitting around your hook once he's done catching you with you not having half a chance to escape from that.

It's just time to either provide any valid motivation (not as valid as you claim that camping is as a strategy, since it isn't) why you wouldn't want to touch this in any direct way, or to actually abruptly apply some drastic changes to the hook context.

Now, I did vent some anger in this post since I'm really tired of dealing with this and even though I've got 1200hrs in the game I'm disabled from doing anything against it, but I really am convinced about what I said here, those are just 100% no-fun strategies, you don't want to keep them in the game, not one decent person in the community is glad of it being a thing, some just take it but nobody would disagree with it being gotten rid of.

Every time I see one of these post, I wanna see how many LOLs there is. Is that weird of me?
  • CornChip
    CornChip Member Posts: 540
    edited November 2018
    I have an idea to incentivize killers to not tunnel.
    Every time you hook a different survivor from the last one you hooked you get a bonus amount of BP called fresh meat. 
    Increase the bp penalty for camping the hook to compensate.
    Tunnelling and camping would still be an option but killers would now be encouraged to go after different survivors keeping the game fresh and fun for everyone
  • Wolf74

@CornChip said:

There is none to "increase".

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089

@Vert3x said:
    Tunneling and camping have always been debated but they start deserving a little more attention now that survivors got nerfed in everything and that we would be given limits even in taking a #########.

It's time to give some importance to the harsh experiences that survivors have in this game as well as it's been given to those that the killer had, and one of these is to deal with tunnelers and campers; not one good killer main needs that, many of them disagree with that play style and it's in general really unfair and unfun.

Not once you could say that it's fun to get camped or tunneled, and you don't want the game to be unfun for neither one of the sides, don't you, Behav10ur?

Survivors used to be hard to be gotten on their first hook, so, to a limited extent, camping was even justifiable; but now being hooked is something that has to happen by force at least once during your game unless you're playing immersed or the killer is playing his first game on Dead by Daylight, and thus the killers shouldn't be granted the possibility to play unfair against you in the moments when you're most vulnerable and when you can't do anything at all.

If I was to play with a Survive With Friends team, not only I would have an easier chance with some teamplay to escape the tunneling/camping, but I'd also understand why the killer would do that, because he's having a hard time too in doing anything against us and he might be inexperienced and feel the necessity to play somewhat unfair.

But now we're coming down to the point why I'm writing this post: I can't conceive dying to this unfair play style when I'm playing solo, I'm not using any "crutch" perk or addon and I'm not teasing the killer in any way at all. This just can't happen and be all normal, especially if I'm on rank 1, killers that play like scumbags shouldn't reach any rank higher than 15, and that's it.

Do you want this not to be bannable? Don't make it bannable, it's fine, but prevent it to the fullest from happening, give the killer some huge debuffs if he tries to hit the just unhooked survivor as well as giving no damage to the survivor himself, freeze him if he stands around the hook for too long, don't let this ######### happen anymore, these are just ideas:
    it's the end of 2018 and if there's one toxic and lame strategy (which you bhvr guys loved to call "legitimate" and "valid") that ruined the game since its beginning and that probably caused many players to quit it from the gold time that it had in 2016, that is the killer sitting around your hook once he's done catching you with you not having half a chance to escape from that.

It's just time to either provide any valid motivation (not as valid as you claim that camping is as a strategy, since it isn't) why you wouldn't want to touch this in any direct way, or to actually abruptly apply some drastic changes to the hook context.

Now, I did vent some anger in this post since I'm really tired of dealing with this and even though I've got 1200hrs in the game I'm disabled from doing anything against it, but I really am convinced about what I said here, those are just 100% no-fun strategies, you don't want to keep them in the game, not one decent person in the community is glad of it being a thing, some just take it but nobody would disagree with it being gotten rid of.

What excactly are you calling camping? As a Killer i've been called camper, a lot, for circling back about 1 minute 30 seconds later to catch the unhook attempt. I've been called a camper for trapping out the escape from the hook as the hag. Coming back to the hook is not camping. Patroling the area cause we are pretty sure there is a survivor near, is not camping., chilling near the hook because I legitly see someone running at the hook like an idiot, also not camping.

As for tunneling. Tunneling happens for 3 reasons mostly

1: You have a flashlight or Key. You've made yourself a target here. For a very obvious reason.

2 Your survivor buddies are Blue Falcons, and go for bad unhooks. (especially witgout borrowed time)

3: You are making really bad choices post hook. Ie: Running into my hag trap, Literally running into me, ect.

• CornChip
    CornChip Member Posts: 540

@Wolf74 said:

@CornChip said:

Oh i thought camping the hook now affected the emblem in one of the recent patches that lowered the amount of bp you can get at the end. And the emblem wasn't affected if another survivor was nearby. Wasn't that a thing recently?

• ReneAensland
    ReneAensland Member Posts: 838

@CornChip said:

@Wolf74 said:

@CornChip said:

Oh i thought camping the hook now affected the emblem in one of the recent patches that lowered the amount of bp you can get at the end. And the emblem wasn't affected if another survivor was nearby. Wasn't that a thing recently?

I think it just affects the emblem, so you have lesser chances to double pip.
    Still though, it's not enough. I don't know the solution, but I've been reading great ideas on this topic.

My idea would be something like....

"Something, something, something, if the killer is around the hooked survivor it fills you with anger and determination.
    Something, something, increases the speed while fixing generators."
    Or something.
    There, those are my 2 cents.

• Wolf74

@CornChip said:

@Wolf74 said:

@CornChip said:

It does not affect bloodpoints, just the emblempoints.

• @Doc_W__HOLLIDAY said:
    Vert3x said:

Oh boy, another one of these "I don't like how killers play so I think they should get banned" threads.

I don't think that that is necessarily the issue.. MOST matches up to level 10 are "Fun" and playable for everyone. Even the killer. However, as I and others are seeing more and more beyond level 10 killers just camp the surivvors and the gen spawn points are such lately that the killer doesn't even need to frigging move cause the gens are spawning in a circle radius around center point where he is at. So all huntress has to do is hook someone in center then just stand there. Camping is a problem at higher ranks BUT I think this is more an issue of balance than anything. Anytime devs nerf one side whether it be killer or survivor they fail to balance the other side.

• Wolf74

@raquelambersantiago said:

I don't think that that is necessarily the issue.. MOST matches up to level 10 are "Fun" and playable for everyone. Even the killer. However, as I and others are seeing more and more beyond level 10 killers just camp the surivvors and the gen spawn points are such lately that the killer doesn't even need to frigging move cause the gens are spawning in a circle radius around center point where he is at. So all huntress has to do is hook someone in center then just stand there. Camping is a problem at higher ranks BUT I think this is more an issue of balance than anything. Anytime devs nerf one side whether it be killer or survivor they fail to balance the other side.

What you are describing here is a SURVIVOR ISSUE.
    THEY messed up the gen placement, when the repaired the gens and clustered them.
    And survivor player will blame the killer for their mistakes.

• Wolf74
  • Wolf74
  • SlothGirly
    SlothGirly Member Posts: 1,146

At this point, Idgaf about camping and tunneling. For a few reasons; 1. I camp and tunnel myself, 2. It wastes the killers time, 3. Once I'm dead, I just move onto the next one.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410

@Doc_W__HOLLIDAY said:
    Vert3x said:

Oh boy, another one of these "I don't like how killers play so I think they should get banned" threads.

If you're talking about the 3 gen strat, that's not the killer's fault, that blame falls on the survivors who only have genrush on the brain.

"HOO HOO ME GENRUSHY, EXIT GATE SHINY! ME TWERK FOR KILLER"
  • SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273

@Doc_W__HOLLIDAY said:
    Vert3x said:

If you're talking about the 3 gen strat, that's not the killer's fault, that blame falls on the survivors who only have genrush on the brain.

I want to strangle other Survivors when they Gen Rush and didn’t actually look at the layout of the Gens. Then they back us into a corner, all while I’m going “ok, there is a 3 cluster here, we need to do one of these so we don’t...” “pop! Pop!” Ok, well we can... “pop! Pop!” 

.... Idiots.... 
  • @SovererignKing said:
    Doc_W__HOLLIDAY said:

raquelambersantiago said:

@Doc_W__HOLLIDAY said:

Vert3x said:

I want to strangle other Survivors when they Gen Rush and didn’t actually look at the layout of the Gens. Then they back us into a corner, all while I’m going “ok, there is a 3 cluster here, we need to do one of these so we don’t...” “pop! Pop!” Ok, well we can... “pop! Pop!” 

.... Idiots.... 

IF its a survivor issue who don't pay attention to gens I get it BUT lately I have seen all five spawn in center of a circle within range of huntress hatchets she just has to stand there. That is not balanced and that is not random placement.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,692

@apropos said:
    It's kind of hard to see how powerful survivors can be when you are playing with randoms, but there's so much strength in numbers. Almost any survivor would change their mind about tunneling/camping being unfair if they played a killer to rank 5 or so. Play one to rank 1 to really drive the point home.

Without tunneling we would have to cycle each player, and considering that the average match above rank 10 has 1-3 gens done by the time the first person is downed, there would be almost no way to win the game for the killer.

My killer is rank 1 and camping and tunneling is for bad players. The only time it's reasonable is dying light or bm'ing survivors. If they have 1-3 done by the time you down someone, you don't belong at that rank.

If you're at R1 and not seeing 1-2 pop (in most cases) before your first hook, the survivors are the ones that don't belong at that rank. 

If that's not the norm for you, you're either very lucky or cherry-picking your games. 
  • Demonsouls1993
    Demonsouls1993 Member Posts: 261
    Vert3x said:

Looping fix/ban when it's unfair see how that works 
  • friendlykillermain
    friendlykillermain Member Posts: 3,162

hmm this thread has been going back and forth forever i wonder when the mod will close it down

• Wolf74

@Raccoon said:
    purebalance said:

@apropos said:

It's kind of hard to see how powerful survivors can be when you are playing with randoms, but there's so much strength in numbers. Almost any survivor would change their mind about tunneling/camping being unfair if they played a killer to rank 5 or so. Play one to rank 1 to really drive the point home.

Without tunneling we would have to cycle each player, and considering that the average match above rank 10 has 1-3 gens done by the time the first person is downed, there would be almost no way to win the game for the killer.

My killer is rank 1 and camping and tunneling is for bad players. The only time it's reasonable is dying light or bm'ing survivors. If they have 1-3 done by the time you down someone, you don't belong at that rank.

If you're at R1 and not seeing 1-2 pop (in most cases) before your first hook, the survivors are the ones that don't belong at that rank. 

If that's not the norm for you, you're either very lucky or cherry-picking your games. 

Any decent team will pop 3 gens one the first hook.

• douggie123
    douggie123 Member Posts: 1,316

@Doc_W__HOLLIDAY said:
    Vert3x said:

This post made my day.
  • ReneAensland

This post made my day.

Same.

• mcNuggets
    mcNuggets Member Posts: 767

@purebalance said:

@apropos said:

You kidding?

• purebalance
    edited November 2018

@Orion said:

@purebalance said:

@apropos said:

Explain the thought process at work here. Someone achieved the same result as you with a different (let's say easier, for the sake of argument) strategy. How is the fact that you handicap yourself and they don't a problem with the way they play?

Because it limits the game for EVERYONE involved. Hence you get ######### for kills and ######### for BP when you camp vs competent players. Campers basically prey on players who either are bad or counting on playing against bad players who will not do gens while they camp or who will try to save someone they're camping. 9/10 times if you're playing against good survivors you won't get ######### camping.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Doc_W__HOLLIDAY said:
    Vert3x said:

This post made my day.
    You are not alone.
    Comments like this make the forum actually more entertaining than the game itself
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Orion said:

@purebalance said:

@apropos said:

Explain the thought process at work here. Someone achieved the same result as you with a different (let's say easier, for the sake of argument) strategy. How is the fact that you handicap yourself and they don't a problem with the way they play?

Because it limits the game for EVERYONE involved. Hence you get ######### for kills and ######### for BP when you camp vs competent players. Campers basically prey on players who either are bad or counting on playing against bad players who will not do gens while they camp or who will try to save someone they're camping. 9/10 times if you're playing against good survivors you won't get ######### camping.

Indeed. Competent survivors use their brain, laugh at you when you camp and take their free escape that got handed by them by an afk killer 
  • Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608
    psh... even as a killer main, I 100% agree that camping is for trash players. 

under certain circumstances, sure. that survivor ran you in circles while teabagging? sure.

that survivor intentionally farmed one of his allies?  sure...

you've barely manage to hit anyone and now the gates are open?  sure...

but generally? no, hook and walk away... nothing wrong with patrolling or occasionally coming back across while you check out another spot... but just sitting and literally camping? 

nah, it's you that needs to "git gud" 

camping is lazy, BORING, and not fun for anyone... besides... you're not getting ######### for bloodpoints and the other survivors will most likely be getting gens done while you're sitting there with your thumb up your ass.
  • BigBlackMori
    BigBlackMori Member Posts: 220

No good player will try to camp because it simply is a stupid tactic. Survivors with any brain will just do the gens while you are afk in front of the hook and leave. Comitting to camping will simply make you lose the game against competent survivors.

And what we see here is silly Survivor logic that doesn't fit with reality. This kind of thing is how you know they don't seriously play Killer and thus can't be taken seriously.

• apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245

@purebalance said:

@apropos said:

You're making a moral judgement on a specific strategy, then contradicting yourself, all the while subtly defending that you know what you're saying is nonsense.

• apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245

@Avariku genrushing is for trash players, come at me

• ReneAensland

Well, you can't avoid getting camped when you're the one on the hooks.
    Genius!

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November 2018
    It's not my job to make sure survivors have fun.

Not is it my job to make sure they get blood points.

My job is to get as close to a 4 k as possible and obey the ToS, even if that means choosing "dirty" perks or "playing unfairly". Unless it violates ToS, then it's fair game.

Survivors can do the same thing. I camp when I need to and don't when I dont. If a survivor cries about that, oh well. ...Next time being ds and pallet loop me...you probably won't get hooked as easily.
  • ReneAensland

@Attackfrog said:

My job is to get as close to a 4 k as possible and obey the ToS, even if that means choosing "dirty" perks or "playing unfairly". Unless it violates ToS, then it's fair game.

Survivors can do the same thing. I camp when I need to and don't when I dont. If a survivor cries about that, oh well. ...Next time being ds and pallet loop me...you probably won't get hooked as easily.

There is NO excuse for a camping killer.
    Never.

You can try and justify it as much as you want, but I believe the only OK reason to monitor around the survivor is when your BBQ and Chilly doesn't show you anybody and you know they're around you.
    That's it.

• Wolf74

@ReneAensland said:

@Attackfrog said:

Never.

You can try and justify it as much as you want, but I believe the only OK reason to monitor around the survivor is when your BBQ and Chilly doesn't show you anybody and you know they're around you.
    That's it.

I don't need an "excuse" for camping.
    If I want that sucker dead, I camp. In most cases it is just playing efficient, because the other survivor will play superaltruistic anyway.
    So there is fresh meat on a hook... sounds like a good bait to catch more for me, so I rather stay near and wait for the greedy douchebags to come running.

• Attackfrog

@Attackfrog said:

Never.

That's it.

Lol you're just being silly.

It's like saying there is NO excuse for a pallet loop....

Both are ridiculous....But hey, if you want to believe that, by all means, please do! It just means you'll be spending a lot more time frustrated when playing the game. 
  • Attackfrog
    Wolf74 said:

@ReneAensland said:

@Attackfrog said:

Never.

That's it.

I don't need an "excuse" for camping.
    If I want that sucker dead, I camp. In most cases it is just playing efficient, because the other survivor will play superaltruistic anyway.
    So there is fresh meat on a hook... sounds like a good bait to catch more for me, so I rather stay near and wait for the greedy douchebags to come running.

And sometimes you a get a group where you just know who the better survivors are. If I can manage to get one on the hook earlier in the game, it might be worthwhile to camp em off.

Cuz I know if the better survivors are out there somewhere, my chances for 3-4k is diminished.

Survivors: if you are getting camped a lot, it either means you are really bad (cuz you're on the hook so much) or really good (we want you out!).
  • Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Playing Wraith.
    Had a lobby fill with a 4-man squad today: Toolbox-wielding, half-naked David, bloody flashlight-wielding Claudette, med-kit-wielding Adam & toolbox-wielding Nea.
    Everyone uses BP Offerings, Map is the new Spirit one.

Nothing interesting happens until i hook the David in the corner of the map next to the main building. (The corner without a jungle gym.)
    I saw a Claudette crouch behind the little wall, and i manage to down her close by the hook.
    Now normally i dislike camping, but...

1. I knew they were all friends
    2. A good setup like this i don't get often unintentionally

I get in a big bush and stand still to be invisible.
    David doesn't signal i camp.
    Nea comes by and tries to hide behind the little wall as well.
    I slap her but she gets away.
    While she's now busy healing, Adam comes to try as well.
    I chase and down him.
    Thanks to B&C from hooking Adam, i know where Nea is and i down her.
    I proceed to grab Claudette and BARELY make it to a nearby hook. (I swear, that corner is a dead asf corner once that 1 hook is used there.)
    I stay until she uses up her self-unhooks, she goes into phase 2.
    I hook Nea and stay until she uses up her self-unhooks, she goes into phase 2.
    They only did 1 Generator, so i had no worries.
    Adam uses DS on me, manages to run from me for 14 seconds.
    Then hook him.

I dislike to camp cause i get no enjoyment out of staying still.
    But it can be effective if the Survivors are greedy, dumb or both.
    Don't be a dummy or a Mr. Krabs and camping won't even be a factor to you as Survivor.