Totem indicator

Options
Mysterynovus
Mysterynovus Member Posts: 318
edited March 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

With the talk about Hexes and whatnot, I think it'd be a benefit for there to be an indicator of totems left on the map. For Survivors, it would be a simple icon that lights up when any totems are remaining; it would not say how many or if any of them are Hex totems, only if there's even one remaining. For balancing, this could be given only to Survivors who are solo queued (if necessary).

For Killer, the indicator would also be a UI icon that shows all totems and which are your Hexes and which are dull. It wouldn't show if someone's cleansing a totem outside of specific perks that allow it.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Mysterynovus
    Mysterynovus Member Posts: 318
    Options

That's why the proposed indicator wouldn't say if there's a hex or not, only that "Hey, at least one totem still stands." Killers would recieve more information.

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197
    Options

I feel an actual on screen totem indicator would be too good for survivors and be a huge nerf to perks like NOED.

I think a good fix would be a map wide unique sound made for cleansing dull totems (similar to the hex sound). This way it would allow solo players to keep track without feeding too much information too easily.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Umm... How are you supposed to know if anyone else has done totems?

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

Doesn’t matter to me, I still say no. Any information at all about how many totems there are is detrimental to a killer that relies upon hexes.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814
    Options

It's wild to me that totem spawns are in static locations. Almost all of them are atrociously out in the open and incredibly easy to locate from great distances. That kind of terrible placement really feels like it's the product of a purely random system that just choses arbitrary X,Y coordinates, not something some programmer went through the effort of placing by hand.

• MadLordJack
    Options

So waste a way too much time and give the killer loads of free map pressure whilst ignoring the fact that you can barely see broken totems on the maps where you can see them, basically giving the killer a free win.

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980
    Options

Totems were supposed to be a secondary objective for Survivors to slow gen speed down, rather than just increasing gen repair time.

Instead, we got a huge bonfire underneath active Totems because "It takes too much time to do them all."

We get daily complaints about NOED because "I can't be bothered to cleanse all the Totems before rushing 5 gens."

Instead of decent placement, we get Totems right out in the open (sometimes with a big bonfire lit underneath them) because "It's too hard to find them when I'm trying to work on gens."

Maybe it's time to stop the hand-holding and actually make players think a little about the match their playing. We have so much information just dumped on the UI, it might actually collapse if you add anything else.

I really long for those days when you had to pay attention to health states and actually consider why your speeds seem slightly slow.

• MadLordJack
    Options
  • MadLordJack
    Options

Cleansing all 5 totems with no communication is basically handing the killer a free win. It wastes minutes of each survivors time running around, looking where someone has already looked, searching for totems when all have been cleansed, or worse, doing all of the above but leaving one dull left in a hidden spot for NOED to activate on anyway.

Any killer worth their salt will 4k trials like that with ease.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

I agree because it's something to bridge the gap between solo and SWF, something this game so desperately needs to become more balanced.

• Brhoom
    Brhoom Member Posts: 241
    Options

%100 For a totem counter if you are playing solo.

• SentinelCaptain
    SentinelCaptain Member Posts: 233
    Options

Maybe just a little skull next to the Gen counter that shows how many totems are left. Or maybe just an icon that will only appear after all 5 have been clensed?

• apathyinc
    apathyinc Member Posts: 451
    Options

Aw come on, just run one of the two great perks for finding totems or bring a map. Being spoon fed information takes the fun out of the game.

• Azxx93
    Azxx93 Member Posts: 117
    Options

I think there should be a little table in the basement and it has 5 skulls stacked on top of it and every time a totem gets destroyed one of the skulls crumbles. It would be better then having a ui indicator and it would give the basement something special about it

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    Options

Perhaps that would be good for in-game knowledge, but the issue is that totems aren't something survivors are able to innately sense in game. A survivor can write down how many times their friends are hooked, but they won't be able to know if another survivor is doing tokens.

Of course, game mechanics trump lore. That would be a welcome addition, I'm sure, if it passes the lore test.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    Options

...wait that would actually be amazing ######### BHVR hire this guy.

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454
    Options

Just add it to small game and bam solved

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,098
    Options

Any survivors worth their salt can do totems, gens and escape. The problem solo players have isn't with totems or just NOED, it is with the abysmal ranking and matchmaking. The game should not be pairing up good players with bad teammates nor should the game be made easier for bad players.

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454
    Options
  • ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

It would be extremely helpful to solo queue survivors. Swf I don't think would affect much since they're usually already coordinated enough to deal with totems.

My real problem with this whole thread is killers don't want totem counter because.. It would incentivize survivors doing totems too well? Lol

I thought you all wanted survivors doing side objectives?

• MadLordJack
    Options

4 good survivors trying to do totems will waste minutes looking where others already have, potentially long after all 5 totems were cleansed. Which is the best thing a killer could ever ask for, even with NOED, because who needs NOED when you don't reach the endgame.

• chadbeastofprey
    chadbeastofprey Member Posts: 437
    Options

killers: no that helps surivors too much!!!

survivors: *start to play more in swf because solo is at huge disadvantages*

killers: ugh i hate playing against swf why do all survivors play in sweaty swf

????? i dont get these replies

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,098
    Options

4 survivors not able to do totems and reach endgame are not good survivors. If cleansing totems is all it took for the killer to win, then the survivors do not deserve to win.

• CriticalWeasel
    CriticalWeasel Member Posts: 378
    Options

With my powers of Solo Survivor I will use telepathy to know how many totems are left.

HRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNnn

*Brain Rupture*

• GingerBeard
    GingerBeard Member Posts: 271
    Options

I've always said just give a subtle audio cue whenever a dull totem is cleansed to help solos, but I actually like this idea better. Plus, I always thought it would be cool to give a reward for survivors who go down into the basement, other than the chest, such as a BP shrine or something that they can interact with. This candle idea does both of those things so i'm absolutely all for it.

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259
    Options

@CryptFriend @ALostPuppy @GingerBeard

I’m really glad you guys all liked the candle idea. Full disclosure, it’s not my idea. Something I saw on the forum quite a while back, but I’m not sure who to give credit to.

Nonetheless, I REALLY like the concept. I spread the word every time I see one of these “totem counter” threads with hope that it might gain traction.

If you like it, please mention it from time to time as well. At some point a dev will see it and realize that this would be easy to implement and a positive change, thematic change!

• Toblerone007
    Toblerone007 Member Posts: 598
    Options

You have been losing your team games for years if you're actually against a skilled killer.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Am i the only one who thinks survivors get to much information? Years ago, survivors had to pay attention. When someone was downed, they had to remember if that survivor was injured before or if some sort of exposed status effect is active.

Now survivors know what perks affect them even before they affect them. They can see that they are affected by Overwhelming Pressence, even before hearing the killers heartbeat. Which gives them a visual warning that the killer comes. They can see that Ruin is active or Lullaby. They can see whenever Undying is on the map by getting a notification whenever they are close to a totem.

Why do we need so much information? Wasn´t the game more fun, when people had to guess and actually pay attention?

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

I like both these ideas but specifically buffing Small Game.

Or even if they made a new perk in the future that incentivizes totem hunting and cleansing. I'm kinda surprised Elodie didn't get a perk like that tbh.

Also yes I know detective's hunch exists but that is mostly effective with a map and it's overkill to bring an item and perk dedicated to totem hunting plus if you get caught out and camped it's all for nothing lol

• Saltjar34
    Saltjar34 Member Posts: 766
    Options

Because back then, SWF did not exist. Now that it did, solo needs to be buffed so that it can be on par with SWF. Only then will the game be balanced. If you're still complaining, just remember that if a totem counter is added in any form, we might be able to get old undying back because it'll be more balanced for solo

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Good point, the devs keep balancing around solo low ranks while promoting SWF at every corner. Shouldn´t the devs balance around SWF? I mean, we have official discord channels that help to find other players.

Oh and forget about Undying. Devs won´t reverse the changes. They never do. Maybe we´ll see a rework of the perk in 2 years. But most of the times the devs nuke a good killer perk it stays weak forever. Take Enduring for example. It used to reduce the stun timer of everything. Even DS. Now it only reduced the stun timer of pallets, while we have more perks that are used to stun the killer. Or Fire Up. It was so weak at its launch, that people thought its bugged. Turns out it works at intended and hasn´t seen a buff since release.

So no, Undying is dead and will stay dead. Doesn´t matter if the devs implement a totem counter or if the totems get a bright lightbeam that indicates that there is a totem. Survivors are allergic to doing them and will only do them if forced to. Nothing will change that. Undying was a test to see if survivors would do totems if forced aaaaand nope.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,457
    Options

I've always liked the idea of the DBD logo on a wall in the basement, each scratch lit up for a standing totem, but this works also.

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

Also logically, having an indicator makes sense for generators because when they’re fixed they’re loud. Survivors across the map can hear them so they would already know how many more are needed for repair. What’s the logic for all players knowing when a dull totem is cleansed? They’re quiet and give no notification whatsoever. Therefore it makes zero sense to have an indicator. Just my few cents.

• CriticalWeasel
    Options

Counting ain't the problem, it's the fact as a solo survivor you will never know if there's still a totem around without using a totem hunting perk.

Oh, do you expect me to use x-ray vision to see behind walls and those really obscure bushes in Badham? Unlike SWF you don't get the liberty to know.

• CriticalWeasel
    Options

So your saying, I should actually waste my time running into each possible totem spawn to count, instead of doing the generators. Which also is a death sentence if the killer is good. Yeah, it's predictable, but you still have to run all the way to check.

• CriticalWeasel
    Options

But you are still at the mercy of your teammates doing totems too. You still don't know what the hell they're doing, you could do 4 totems and not know if the 5th one was done. This isn't a problem with SWF, but as a solo survivor, most of the information is just what you currently see and hear around you.

• CriticalWeasel
    Options

"Bring a perk to counter this, bring an item to counter that."

You can't prepare for every scenario, and considering that maps are kind of rare to even get in the blood web it's not a consistent way of knowing in every match. If I was doing my treasure hunter build maybe but it's not the same as knowing without the help of items or perks. Solo players were always more limited in options if they play to survive. If I had a huge stockpile of maps I probably would but I don't, until I dump everything into one character I can start to properly stockpile since the perks won't take up the web anymore.