Is the game supposed to be fun when you're the killer ?

Options
Adtaleur
Adtaleur Member Posts: 7
edited March 2021 in General Discussions

I'm really enjoying both roles in the game and I consider myself as an average player (surely not amongst the bests and not noob anymore : 1k hours). My goal when I start the game is to sit down and have a good time.

The last 2 months, I constantly face 1 or 2 red ranks as a rank 10-11 killer...

No need to wait until the game ends to see the ranks, when you play, you immediately feel the potential of survivors.

Experience learnt me to leave the strongest survivors in the early game. But even then, they know how to be efficient on gens, and I get my first hook when they already finished 2,5 gens (halve their objectives while I'm only at 1/12).

I set importance to improve my gameplay. But the fun factor is even more important to me. And I'm missing this the past weeks...

The same goes when I'm a survivor. When you face a killer with a much lower level as you, there is no fun. You don't feel the threat and the pressure. Although that's why we play this game, right ?

I mean matchmaking was never great and is certainly a complex issue to fix. But I feel the trend is worsening highly.

I am wondering if this feeling was also shared by others down here. Are there any concrete info from BHVR that they are adressing this issue ?

I mean...if people don't play killer, Ithey won't buy any new DLC...

i can't imagine they are letting this issue standing still for so long...

Or maybe I see things wrong and you're just supposed to have fun when you play survivors ?

Comments

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918
    edited March 2021
    Options

It doesn’t get better when you’re red ranks and much more experienced. The problem with the game is and always has been the maps, and you never really feel outplayed. If you get a map like Haddonfield for example it just feels like the best survivor is not determined by skill or someone thats able to predict you, its about who knows how to exploit the abysmal map design the most. A lot of maps take no skill as survivor, sprint bursting to the safest loops which a lot of the older killers are just not equipped to handle efficiently. That’s the thing a lot of people don’t realize, if you’re playing an older killer that’s easily looped the survivors always have the advantage over you in chases and you need them to make a mistake in order to capitalize. Hence why everyone wants to play killers like Spirit.

Personally I’m at that point now where I’ve seen and done it all, been rank 1 many times, got all the perks, don’t need bloodpoints, beat some amazing teams. I now only play for kills and so I admit I facecamp shamelessly. I’m getting more 4ks than ever before and don’t need to worry so much about busted map design. So hey its not just the killers who aren’t having fun 😂

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,394
    Options

Im really interested what will happen when you dont need BP anymore. That changed my playstyle a lot.

• TicTac
    Options

I would say there is a point where it gets better. Will there be a point where you can do something against some loops? No, but when you have around 2000 hours in red rank you will be better than most others. When you have crossplay on you can win most of the time, bc your opponents are not good.

• Dizzy1096
    Options

I disagree with crossplay, there are plenty of good players from my experience and also a lot more swf.

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989
    Options

Only if you play by the survivors rules. Think of it as "survivor allocated fun".

Don't have "too" much fun though. Definitely not permitted!

• GodLikeTerror
    GodLikeTerror Member Posts: 1,054
    Options

Yes, and it's a sin to bring anything strong into the match. Forget trying to win the game you gotta play by the survivor rulebook.

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989
    Options

Haha don't even suggest breaking the survivor rules. It's the first rule of dbd club.

• Mugombo
    Mugombo Member Posts: 509
    Options

Lol don’t listen to all the idiots in this forum. Killer can definitely be fun and you’ll improve the more you play and learn and will be winning most games. It’s just that matchmaking is terrible right now and can be very unfair.

They are working on an MMR system to help this but who knows when this will be implemented or even if it will work properly

• GodLikeTerror
    GodLikeTerror Member Posts: 1,054
    Options

Killer can be fun, but it can also be incredibly stressful too. Yea the better you get higher chance you are going to win games, but at the same time this game's rng set ups influence your chance to win. Survivors have been getting better about doing gens, so that just makes games much more stressful. You can play absolutely perfectly, but you can still lose, if people just do gens. Survivor you can play and not be stressed out at all. There is a problem with the game if you can play killer and be stressed out compared to playing survivor where it's rather relaxing even if you don't win.

• Dizzy1096
    Options

***** 5 star post

Survivors want the killer to go for 12 hooks, not slug, and get a fresh hook everytime but against good teams the killer simply does not have the time to do that. It’s why when you see good players going against sweaty teams theres always a lot of slugging or the game ends via slugs.

Then the devs keep nerfing slugging, first directly via raising the recovery cap to 95%, and then by buffing WGLF to the point it absolutely destroys slugging.

I personally still think the map are the biggest issue, you don’t need any skill as survivor to waste the time of some of the m1 killers. That’s not to say survivors dont have skill but the problem is you dont need it. I.e you can just sprint burst to house of pain or badham school for example and waste plenty of time with no skill required other than occasionally looking behind you. Its mostly just running forwards and using god pallets. This goes some way to explaining all the potatoes in red ranks, they never had to learn how to run a killer other than by taking advantage of abysmal map design.

Gens may be short but the maps are the deciding factor whether you have fun in those 3 minutes or not. Now we see their finest work yet - gideon meat plant 🙄 a map so bad that even the fog whisperers that normally try to put on a positive face for the company are making fun of it.

• TicTac
    Options

There are surely good players. But as someone who plays both sides, i know that they make mistakes otherwise gens wouldnt be so slow. I shouldnt be able to win so often as killer, when the survivor were good. I know how strong good survivors are, but mostly the difference between them and the survivor in most of my matches is like day and night.

I have a similar experience against survivor like otzdarva. Long winstreaks are possible. But it could be bc we both play in the evening in europe.

• Dizzy1096
    edited March 2021
    Options

Otzdarva has like 7000 hours. He’s more advanced than a regular player and again he’s one who slugs often and a lot of his games I see end with slugs or prioritising hooks to eliminate one early aka tunneling. I’ve also seen him patrol a second hook to confirm the kill.

Try chase, hook, chase fresh survivor hook, chase fresh survivor, hook etc and see how long those 4k streaks go.

• TicTac
    Options

I played for 12hooks my first 1500 hours. I know the limits of that. So why should i use this, when i dont need BP anymore? I dont tunnel, but i prioritize players which were hooked before. When i have 6-7 hooks i want someone dead.

And i dont say everyone can do that. I have over 2000 hours. But you can reach this point. Is it fun to know that i win bc my opponents were worse?Not really. Do i want maps with busted loops nerfed and a mechanic which encourages not tunneling? Yes. But what i want to say is that you can win consistently.

• Dizzy1096
    Options

We seem to be on the same page then to some regards. I don’t need BP either and I dont care what my rank is, I’ve been rank 1 many times, now I just play for fun aka kills.

So its beneficial for me to just camp rather than chase a survivor who’s trying to bait me into an area with 20 god pallets or overpowered window loops. The maps need fixing to a point where it is beneficial for a killer to take the chase and have fun rather defending a kill.

It’s the hooks vs kills debate and once you have the t-shirt for being rank 1 and have all the perks unlocked so you no longer need BP, there’s no incentive to play “fair” by survivor standards. I say this as someone who used to play a lot of survivor too. My friend and I went against a Bubba who camped 2 survivors in the basement a few weeks back, he just wanted the kills and he got a 3k by doing this (my friend got the hatch).

• TicTac
    Options

Yh to some regards we are on the same page, but i personally dont think camping is fun. I play for winstreaks aka 4k, but i want to get better. With camping i have no improvement, so i use it as tool like in a 3 gen, but never as main strategy.

Is camping not boring?

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302
    Options

You are not getting 12 hooks against a good team unless you are playing the most broken stuff available.

If you spend the first 90 seconds of the game getting your first hook (which is very common if the survivors can loop and you are playing a weaker killer) and it costs you almost 2 gens, why would you ever think you should try it again 11 more times?

You have to camp and tunnel at that point. It’s just a necessity with current gen speeds unless you are a spirit main or something.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
    edited March 2021
    Options

In short, no.

The game is very catered to survivors overall. For example, I had a game yesterday where I should have had a 4k. 2 survivors already gone, 2 downed. I hooked one and that hooked one 4% off hook (no perks or addons to buff it), I downed him again and got DSed immediately. They ran to hatch and had a key, opened the hatch, and the other downed survivor was already on the hatch so they both got out. This all happened within 15 seconds. There are too many second chances given to survivors. Having 3 second chances given to a single survivor in that time is insane. I'm getting pretty sick of how much killers have stacked against them beyond being just 4v1 and am pretty convinced that the game seriously needs rebalancing

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    Options

I used to feel this way too. I still have games like these but it's most of the time when I'm using killers I don't have time in with and are just doing a daily with. Just work on your fundamentals and it will help in most games with all killers (except nurse) then you just have to master the power and when and not to use them. Also losing 1-3 gens is when the game starts don't let that bother you. I kinda suck with hag (don't have the time in) and had a daily last night went around trapping my 3 hexes (I know risky but my perks sucked) lost 2 gens doing that and a third on my way to a surveillance gen so needless to say I had 1-2 hooks with 1 gen left and the gens were scattered but didn't matter 4k anyhow. Figure out your weaknesses and build your perks around that. Sounds like you could benefit from Discordance honestly any time it procs break chase and hed there. Also almost always procs right at start of match.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233
    Options

I'd enjoy killer more if I wasn't on haddonfield 50% of the time, legit played like 50 survivor games of never seeing it to having it 4 times in a row as killer back to back. Honestly rng is never on my side lol

• Mugombo
    Mugombo Member Posts: 509
    Options

That’s true but the same can be said about solo queue survivor. The issue here is with natchmaking

• TicTac
    Options

Yh but you will not get more then one kill with camping against a good team either. So i can understand tunneling, but not camping from the start. With camping you rely on survivor mistakes.

• TheShocktor
    TheShocktor Member Posts: 134
    Options

I think everyone has pretty much said everything. My main thing that makes it unfun for me is the time factor as well. It makes playing certain killers like M1 killers impossible against efficient teams. Sometimes getting 12 hooks, always going for different survivors and playing by their rules just wont work. Especially with how many chances they get. You pretty much have to at least slug and sometimes situations will arise which make camping or tunneling a necessary strategy if you want to win. Survivors refuse to understand this and will be toxic af and that gets super annoying. When I get in those situations I know the messages are coming. I always try to play fair but when I get into a situation where I need to camp or have to tunnel I will because not doing so would be letting the survivors win. Just do your best and do whatever you need to do to help you win and dont try to be the good guy at all times. You aren't responsible for their fun and they certainly don't care if you're having fun. You'll win a few, lose a few and survivors will curse you out for both. I slug a lot and if theres no ds or I know a survivor has used it I'm not afraid to send them back to the campfire early. Might have to ignore the salty messages though.

• SilentPill
    Options

I mean it works all the time for me, and I play at rank 1. Granted, I proxy camp I don’t face camp. And I usually only camp from 2nd stage to dead unless I’m playing pyramid head, in which case first to second into an execute works fine.

You just slug anyone who comes near the hook. Or go get a slug and then go back to hook, it’s not rocket science.

If the hook is in the middle of 3 gens and you get it super early camping is a totally viable strategy.

• TicTac
    Options

Yh obviously it works. Bc the survivor are bad. Against this survivor you could win without camping when you would be a good killer.

Dont get me wrong i am a killer who uses everything in his arsenal to win, but many killer just use the survivor are too strong argument to not improve. When you get better results with camping you have a long way to go. Camping the entire time is not a counterplay to strong survivor, its a tool to stomp noobs.

• SilentPill
    Options

I mean whatever you say, this guy goes on 300+ win streaks camping and tunneling habitually but I guess it only works against noobs. I will listen to you when it stops working for me.

• Dizzy1096
    Options

Last night I was doing the "Sacrifice during the endgame challenge" so the game needed to get to endgame so I decided to play fair and by the survivor rulebook even though it was to my detriment.

For a start the survivors burn a Haddonfield offering to massively tilt the game in their favour. They also had a few toolboxes and a BNP because apparently gens aren't fast enough.

Despite this I play nice, I go to the hook and see survivors healing under hook which is bad but I ignore the injured survivor and start a fresh chase with a new survivor. I try to chase fresh survivors who haven't been hooked yet if I see them to give everyone a fair chance. Needless to say I lost that game and survivors made sure to force me to walk to the exit gate to watch them tbag me and force them out and the other survivors make me walk to the other exit gate to watch them tbag me and force them out. I had bloodwarden and it was like they knew I could see their aura too because they were looking in my direction and tbagging across.

At the end of all this the game itself spits in my face with a big "DDDNNNRRRRGGGGHGHHH" sound effect as the words "ENTITY DISPLEASED" appear on my screen.

You really feel like a clown playing fair or with any sense of sportsmanship lol because the other side sure as hell doesn't. Your efforts are completely in vain too because no matter how nice you play the majority of survivors will try to humiliate you at the end. I'm sure if it wasn't a console swf I would have had an EZ in the chatbox too.

Next few games I facecamp with Bubba and ya know what? I felt much better for it. I even hit a few on hook it was therapeutic. I get kills, I have an easier time, and it's hilarious to see how many survivors now start talking about playing fair and good sportsmanship.

• TicTac
    edited March 2021
    Options

I watched 3 matches, maybe you want to give me the timestamp where he wins a match with camping from the start? His perks wouldnt even work with camping.

Edit: and it wouldnt even matter when he wins a match with camping, he certainly doesnt win the majority of his matches with that otherwise he would do it every match

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    Options

I think you might be right.

Like, you'd think staying as a 105% Tier 1 Myers for far longer than you'd need to would wreck your map pressure way harder than just... being Clown would. Especially after Clown got at least some mobility from the speed bottles. It doesn't though because Clown's Terror Radius usually results in the Survivors starting to run and hide well before Clown can even see them. It also gives the Survivors perfect info about whether they're safe or not. Meanwhile Myers being undetectable frequently results in them getting stabbed half a second or less after they noticed I was there. It also results in them running, hiding, not staying injured, and generally being much less efficient because they have no idea when I might suddenly step around the corner again.

• DTJObe
    DTJObe Member Posts: 170
    Options

Nope. The devs only care about survivor fun because there are more survivor players; therefore, if they keep survivors happy, they make more money off overpriced survivor cosmetics.

• TinyRick7128
    TinyRick7128 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Find a killer you can have fun with no matter what. I play ghost face because he scares tf outta me from nowhere as a surv, plus every now and then I'll rack some hooks then crouch next to gens with Survs and act like I'm repairing em with them🤣 plus I love getting low ranked killers as a surv because juking them and racking up bold points and winning chases are always fun. Only killer I dislike in chases are the spirit and the leagion just because the speed and teleportation but escaping them is very satisfying

• WiiFitTrainer
    WiiFitTrainer Member Posts: 788
    Options

I Actually have more fun as killer than solo que survivor. Solo queue is just the most awful experience 9/10 games

• SentinelCaptain
    SentinelCaptain Member Posts: 233
    Options

Welcome to the club. All I can say is define your own success as killer, the 12 hook goal is unrealistic in practice. For me 2 kills is an ok match, and I call 3 kills a solid win, especially if the last survivor only escapes because of the hatch. You really can judge the skill of players early from both sides. You have good common sense on picking your battles with Survivors, and I don't think I need to tell you what bait looks like and when to leave one alone. You're going to have unsatisfying games on both side, though I believe killers are more vulnerable to it because of how many ways Survivors have to actively taunt and generally be obnoxious. Sad to say that once you hit Green ranks it becomes more miss than hit on games where things are on the level and you end up running into more of the aforementioned behavior. As a Survivor, be a good teammate when you can, but I judge my Survivor wins on my own escape, hatch or otherwise. Be a good teammate as much as possible, but once those gates are open, all bets are off and playing hero for that late unhook can be extremely high risk high reward.

• DarKaron
    DarKaron Member Posts: 615
    Options

This is a big mood. I mostly skipped the campy-tunnel bit, but the "fun" bit can be summed up in two words:

Rancor Roulette.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567
    Options

I am sometimes a bit sad when I am destroying the survivors

• Halbix
    Halbix Member Posts: 42
    Options

Yeah, noed is your best friend in these situations

• chadbeastofprey
    chadbeastofprey Member Posts: 437
    Options

imo most killers make the game unfun for themselves by treating it like an esport. when i play killer i try to meme and try out nutty builds because otherwise it's just sleeper. it's easy as #########.

• fray1919
    fray1919 Member Posts: 199
    Options

Obvious bait is obvious, but...

The best way to have fun with killer is to meme. (Especially if you stream the game) I love to apologize every time I hit someone, yell at people to go save their teammates, and viewers love it. And as you meme, you get better, because survivors are more eager to be chased by you (for whatever reason, you can't be fragile about it) and you'll see what they do to avoid you.

If you're playing by yourself at home, hoping to feel badass as a killer...yeah this isn't the game for you.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    edited March 2021
    Options

Killer is at its most fun against potato survivors, because you have a chance to win even if you screw up slightly. Extending a chase even by a missed swing can mean the difference between losing 2 gens or getting the pressure back on at least one.

I find often lately the first gen pops at the start of my first chase, I'm behind and I haven't even started because I simply chose the wrong patrol path initially.

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841
    Options

Killer can be fun, but it only starts becoming enjoyable when you get good at it, which is sad because survivor(s) don't need to be skilled to have fun really.

• TheShocktor
    TheShocktor Member Posts: 134
    Options

Oh I've heard it all. I was playing bubba recently too. Had a DC early for no reason so the rest of the game I would find and down the other 3 and walk away so they could at least get some points. Now some killers might let them go but I decided to hook them after I'd let them get some points so it wasn't letting them win but not a wasted game either. I had insidious on because I was gonna meme in the basement but after the DC I decided not to so I hadn't used it until there was 1 survivor left. Closed hatch and had close exits so I situate myself on the other side of a wall and waited and watched the gates. Well guy came and went for it and I downed and hooked him. I got a message about how he earned that gate and I had no skill or honor lmao.

Next was swf on residence. I was wraith so I had a tough game trying to play fair but I was doing ok, but in the end i had 1 kill. Gate was 99d and I down and hook this Kate. There was an injured feng and healthy meg. I open the gate to put some pressure on because all they had to do was tap it anyway. So since I didnt know where either was at the moment I was trying to secure the kill on Kate because leaving her would just be allowing them all 3 to escape. Sure its camping but nothing else I could do. Finally I see injured feng tbagging by the gate and even if I walked towards her she was gone so I stayed at the hook. Now meg could've healed feng and worked together to bodyblock and save but instead Meg runs in hot and I hit her. She saves and I down her. I run the Kate and feng out and just take the kill on meg. 2 dead 2 escape. Was happy to take the draw. Next thing I know I get a message saying how I was desperate trash blah blah...etc...

Game 3 still wraith. Salty meg is back with a key and teammate has a map. They had a Hawkins lab offering. This time my game goes much better but I kinda forget about the map and key and I end up killing the other 2 before them because they're playing immersed and trying to rush the gens. I did hook the key girl once before that but didnt see them too much. We get down to 1 gen and I realize I might've messed up until I see key meg and chase her and hook her. I'm thinking with 1 gen map meg probably knows where hatch is and idk where shes at. If I leave key girl and she saves they're both out. So I'm content with a 3k because I'd had a decent game. I dont facecamp but I stay close. Right before key girl dies, map meg from the game before flies in again and tries to save. It starts the grab animation but it cancels like it does most times. But it does interrupt the save and key girl dies. So I hit map meg and end up downing her and getting her on hook for the 4k. She could've left but got greedy and ended up getting herself killed in both games. Game ends and here comes the messages again. After a couple minutes I get a message from a random account talking crap. It's her alt account. She goes on about me being trash, I should play roblox with other casuals, cant get kills without slugging, camping, tunneling just a bunch of salt. Theres no explaining to her that in certain situations I have to do what I have to do to win or it's just throwing the game.

Long stories but I guess what I'm saying is if you try to play the fair game and 12 hook every match and follow the survivor rulebook it will cost you. That, and survivors never take responsibility for their misplays. If they die, its because the killer played unfairly in some way.

• fray1919
    fray1919 Member Posts: 199
    Options

I don't trust the director of this game to be able to identify a good game, lol.

• smart212
    smart212 Member Posts: 136
    Options

i am purple rank survivor (solo) and meet with spirit rank 1-3 , three times in consecutive. so this game no longer interesting to play. i rather suicide in hook.

• Vammatar
    Vammatar Member Posts: 89
    Options

Best way to look at it, is not to play competitively. My friends and I stood by a fire barrel and pointed at it. Then the killer came and joined us around the camp fire. Then we were chasing the killer and he was running from us, that's how you make the game feel more fun, you just fool around.

• Cristia1V0
    Cristia1V0 Member Posts: 40
    Options

This game was never fun it's just so goddamn addictive, what do you think we play this game being ecstatic no matter how bad we do in the match? Getta brain ya dimwit (sarcasm but sometimes this game is really unfun lol)

• Dizzy1096
    Options

There was a thread here the other day talking about heal tech in the exit gates, and survivors were saying that they deserve the escape etc I'm not sure why but for some reason why people play survivor they forget it's a videogame and assume there are certain conditions under which they deserve something for some unknown reason.