Why Gamers Don't Play Killer

Options

Turn your back and a generator is done. Slug someone and a generator is done. Play "fair" and generators (plural) are done.

When you play well, you're called trash. When you don't play well, you're called trash. When you play "fair," you're called trash.

It's entirely discouraging. Frankly, of all the times I've stopped playing, it was because of the killer role and survivor toxicity.

Comments

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531
    Options
  • Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531
    Options

Yeah but this thread is relatively unbiased, at least at OPs standpoint.

They just said killer is difficult in a long, convoluted way.

• EvanRaven
    EvanRaven Member Posts: 194
    edited March 2021
    Options

i think gen speeds should be decreased or add another compulsory objective.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,652
    Options

Oopsies guess I'm not a 'gamer'

• golubushka08
    golubushka08 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Just Get better, I play killer and I don't have your problems.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

There are no such things as toxic strategies for either side. They are challenges to overcome, nothing more.

There are simply people who can't adapt to countering said strategies and refuse to accept that they might be in the wrong game.

If a killer is getting beat by the gen rush, they have to get better. If survivors can't beat a camper - they need to get better.

It's that simple... FULL STOP

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    Options

Game would be dead if they tried to remove everything considered toxic. It would be an extremely railroaded game with very little depth.

• fr0sty1223
    fr0sty1223 Member Posts: 307
    Options

Not really. Just punish face camping and hard tunneling and give killers a blood point bound or something for playing against swfs. That’s all the really needs to be done

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options
  • GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,652
    Options

Know what, yeah, that's a valid point.

I'll keep my title as Cow Whisperer and allow others to take this spot.

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 976
    Options

Nah man, I completed all Dark Souls and Bloodborne and I can't stand DbD toxic survivors. Even LoL players are more chill than DbDs.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,277
    Options

Don't get me wrong skill is a big factor in how well you do as killer. That said for the most part in red ranks, if you aren't playing as a killer like Nurse or Spirit gen regression perks are essentially a necessity. Skill can only carry you so far if you play against a coordinated SWF. I find it frustrating that the game forces most people to run gen regression perks thanks to the speed gens can be completed at.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

Well #########, and here i thought i was a gamer.

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,741
    Options

The only thing wrong with this post is the fact that you make it sound like no gamers play killer. You can complain about how awful it is to play killer without saying that gamers only play survivor.

• VikingWilson
    VikingWilson Member Posts: 789
    Options

I said, "Why gamers don't play killer"

I did not say, "Why no gamer plays killer"

• RiskyKara
    RiskyKara Member Posts: 804
    Options

Just be a douche canoe. Having a bad day? Facecamp with leatherface. Make a ton of slugs and watch them bleed out. Do whatever you can to just piss them off even more. You don't have to win, you just can ensure they aren't having a good time. That's kind of the idea of a killer, yeah?

• VikingWilson
    Options

Be a douche pontoon and be unable to rock the boat. Sounds good to me! I love your mind.

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794
    Options

Preach, brother (or sister).

Don't worry, us fellow Dark Souls masochists stand with you. Playing killer may be more challenging, but it's ultimately more rewarding.

Plus, I've noticed a massive correlation between Dark Souls fans (myself included) and killer mains. Best guess is that we love overcoming adversity.

• PeaceNGrease
    PeaceNGrease Member Posts: 673
    Options

I agree with this, but you can't say that here. You need to leave, fir your safety sir.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

Survivors are the power role, we have more control over the outcome by base design. Honestly we influence 3 of the killer's emblems, all of our own emblems, and match length.

In most cases the killer has to truly be better or hope we screw up.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,198
    Options

Gen rush, tunneling, camping arent toxic. Those are the most effective strats. But its surely not fun for the other side.

Solve the problems with perks: Gen slow down, DS, BT isnt a right way. The game core mechanic should have those as build-in kit.

• Hex_Salt
    Hex_Salt Member Posts: 443
    Options

Don't Forget the devs keep removing our tools. Remember the ruin change? Why was that so annoying - because their reasons for changing it were so survivor sided;

-Unfun to play against

-New survivors struggle

-80% of red rank use it (and I wonder why that would be???)

So then we get ruin/undying. In order to play that properly/ efficiency facecamping and to a certain extent tunneling was a no no - survivors don't like it so guess what??? It gets nerfed. Since then I've been a considerably less nice killer- if 3 gens go instantly yes I will tunnel to get someone out the game ASAP do I like doing it ? No. But if it gives me a chance to win I will.

Undying nerfed practically happened instantly. And yet keys haven't even been touched yet (mori's have though).

I play killer a lot less than I used to. Funnily enough when I do play koller though I get a game instantly...

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    Options

So how would you do it without railroading the game and losing complexity. I've seen a lot of ideas but all of them are either too restrictive thus making the game restrictive and less complex or too soft and it does nothing so people will still complain.

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927
    Options

I just don't like the massive difference between playing against solos and SWF.

Solos maybe one or two gens get done and you stomp them and have an easy match.

SWF 3 gens pop by the time you get the first down.

The games either to difficult or way to easy.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

For post game trash talk? Damn straight - dbd players are the worst. There's a reason I named the most corrisive and toxic planet full of salt deposits in No Man's Sky after this community.

But people simply using mechanics and strategies to get ahead in the game in and of itself is not toxic. It's simply playing the game.

I know it's trite; but don't hate the player, hate the game.

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 976
    Options

I agree, I don't find camping or hook sabotage toxic as they are strays nonetheless. However, the end game chat is just disgusting and can get me pissed off even tho I'm a really chill player.

• VikingWilson
    Options

That just it right there; relying on survivor mistakes. A killer can be as good as they can, but if survivors don't make mistakes, there's literally nothing the killer can do.

• Silviaswaps
    Silviaswaps Member Posts: 10
    Options

I feel like keys should only be something that appears in a chest that round at the same rate the spawn now. You're lucky to have one, makes it more exciting.It isn't something you can escape with and not something that can be unlocked in the web. Also green keys are useless. 😆

I can't support your use of Bubba, friend playing against him is just no fun with the constant insta-downs, lol.

I myself I play both sides and I definitely get more toxic messages from survivors than I do killers and I am better at survivor. 🤷 Survivors will send me more messages when I am also a survivor, so...

• The_Nightmare
    The_Nightmare Member Posts: 65
    Options

I hardly play killer anymore compared to how I used too. They've messed with so much stuff and the general toxicity of the game is crazy. Thought being killer and bringing toxic survivors to justice would help but cut off one head, two more will take their place.

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685
    Options

Are you saying the key rate spawn is OK? You are right, it doesn't happen too often, and it probably was very exciting for the survivors who escaped... I was even prepared to not get salty about it in the chat, and I opened up the chat with a gg. I don't even think I got a gg back before the survivors started justifying their key escape, and then criticizing me for staying near a hook when there were scratch marks in the area. They called a Blight, with something like 7 hooks (would have finished on at least 9), a camper. It's that entitled attitude that annoyed me.

Also, yeah me then playing in a toxic manner as Bubba was not a good solution, as then I'm punishing totally different people. However Bubba and his insta-down itself is not toxic, he is a relatively easy Killer to loop.

Your final point, yes as Killer I get toxicity all the time, as survivor I see other survivors either being toxic to the Killer (I ALWAYS call them out on it), or survivors being toxic to me and other survivors (why didn't you save, etc.).

• Silviaswaps
    Silviaswaps Member Posts: 10
    Options

The game has a lot of balance issues in general. It's hard to keep that in perspective especially when the game often feels broken. I just want to have fun snd not br treated like garbage. Some people act like this game is their job and it's always gotta be someone else's fault that they aren't getting their precious pips. 🤷

• fr0sty1223
    fr0sty1223 Member Posts: 307
    Options

One way is making it slightly harder to depip. The most frustrating part about being face camped or hard tunneled is that fact even if you played well ( for example a game I played recently where I got done 3 gens, cleansed the hex totem, and rescued 2 hooked survivors) you can still easily depip if the killer camps you.

• PanicSquid
    PanicSquid Member Posts: 655
    Options

Play however you want, and don't read end game chat. Do what you find fun, because why play a game if you don't have fun?