Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Generators - Should kicking a gen instantly regress it by 2-3%?

Pilot
Pilot Member Posts: 1,158
edited March 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

Title ^

Am I the only one who thinks this mechanic is dumb?

If I were to kick anything in real life, I would instantly break it or apply damage to it. If DBD Rules apply to real life, If I were to kick a vase, I would have to watch it fall in slow motion while it gets closer to the ground, the equivalent of kicking a gen and watching it slowly get damaged / regress...

Also because gen tapping exists in the game.

Survivor have to tap a gen by 0.01 seconds to stop it from regressing. It it were after me, they'd have to work on it for 3 seconds. Anyway, if a gen gets tapped you would have to stop chase, kick it again & barely any progress will be lost.

Idk. What you guys think?

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

A normal kick should regress a gen by 5%. Because gen tapping exists.

PoP should regress a gen by 100%. Because 25% regress is barely worth it, when 2 survivors repair that regression in 11 seconds.

• reeves7
    reeves7 Member Posts: 306

I agree 100000%,not 3% but 5% regression .

• GodLikeTerror
    GodLikeTerror Member Posts: 1,054

Pop would be too overpowered then. Pop alone is useless in my opinion on most killers at least. Gen regression is not worth it these days in my opinion. That's why I just run corrupt for early game, and that's it.

• Another_LegionMain
    Another_LegionMain Member Posts: 399

I'd make it 10% and make the survivors have to work for 5 seconds to stop the regression.

• Tsulan

Current gen speed is insane. In most red rank matches, 3 gens are completed by the time the killer gets his first hook. Thats 60% of the survivors objective, while the killer has completed 8% of his objective. Current Pop is useless, because the killer spends more time walking to the gen and kicking it, than what it regresses.

Corrupt just changes which gens get repaired first. Killers stack gen slowdown perks in a desperate attempt to get more hooks. This needs to change.

• Tsulan

You mean... like chasing someone for 50 seconds, going to pick up, only to get pallet stunned/flashlight blinded/hit by DS?

Yes, i can imagine how that feels.

• GodLikeTerror
    GodLikeTerror Member Posts: 1,054
    edited March 2021

I don't run slowdown besides corrupt anymore. I just run STBFL/Shadowborn/BBQ/Corrupt on clown, and play super aggressively. Usually 12 hook games aren't a problem for me, but that's because I pretty much have mastered him. On killers I haven't mastered it's very hard sometimes to even get 10 hooks. Pop in it's state is useless because you lose more time unless the gen is right next to you.

• Tsulan

Killers have to sweat to even stand a chance, and then get flamed for camping/tunneling.

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

dont go for the guy who got unhooked, thats what he wants. to use his ds on you

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015
    edited March 2021

Gen speed is fine. If 3 gens get done once you get your first hook then that's the game's fault for spawning all survivors separately, or maybe even your fault for chasing a good survivor for 2 minutes. PGTW is a very good perk because it instantly takes away 25% progress which is a LOT of progress. It's a huge difference because wouldn't you walk to a gen and kick it like usual without that quick regression? Hell, Surge takes away 8% of progress and even that's a good amount of regression.

If PGTW takes away 100% of gen progress then the survivor playerbase would be destroyed. Literally. 25% is fine and it's way more powerful than you think, even after its nerf it is still S-tier.

• glitchboi

You can still get hit by DS even if you don't tunnel them. Thankfully this'll be changed a lot in the next chapter.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I'd like to see that make it to a PTB.

Interesting idea.

• Tsulan

Then he goes for a gen and uses the 60 seconds to finish a gen.

• swager21

you can slug him and wait 60 seconds for his decisive to run out.

• swager21
  • Tsulan

Im playing solo survivor on red ranks. This is how most of my matches go. So i doubt it´s my fault, that 3 gens get finished by the first hook.

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481
    edited March 2021

I think undying proved that killers need more regression base kit and mechanics that punish "W meta" where the survivor doesn't even try to loop you, they just exploit the fact you literally don't have time to chase them off generators if they just run in a straight line.

More of a reward for getting survivors off gens, and especially more rewards for winning chases, are low key necessary for killers. Undying was too strong, but there is a reason people were running it and why the killer population actually was making gains when it was around: The mechanics of defending gens kinda sucks in the current meta and killers like having literally ANY 'slack time.'

I would say that the problem is more that killers are too heavily pressured by a duo constantly tapping the gen up and that they don't really have a good tool for getting 2v1'd, which is a problem when there are 4 survivors. Something like "The last gen you kick is blocked for X period of time" being added to basekit probably is a better fix to the core issue of 'gen times' (because its not an issue of gen times REALLY, its the killer can't pressure survivors correctly without a ranged power or other way to negate the 2 minute chase time minimum) than a 2-5% regression, which in reality won't do much. The killer should be MUCH stronger at defending objectives than they are, if survivors refuse to 'back off' they should lose.

Survivors should be more focused on overall map pressure and be more forced to track the killer than just 'push through' their attempts to defend. In any scenario, if the killer plays well and is being defensive, and the survivors are being agressive, the killer should 'default' to winning, survivors shouldn't be able to 'outplay' defensive killer play, because it perverts the expected relationship of killer as the defensive/power role. Killer should expect to lose if the survivors goad them into being too aggressive (Ex: Baiting a long chase without trying to get pressure off gens) or if the killer defends the wrong objective (ex: Camping when the survivors are pressuring gens, or vice versa, trying to pressure gens while the survivors go for a rescue), and shouldn't, likewise, be able to 'out play' that. Survivors have really heavily established 'advantaged gamestates,' scenarios where they have the power to outplay. Killer doesn't have a ton of outplay potential, outside of specific killers, which is the more deep rooted problem with the game: Thought needs to be put into scenarios where the survivors 'deserve' to lose no matter how well they are at the technical aspects of the game. Survivors kinda... default to winning most exchanges at high end play which isn't healthy.

It shouldn't be possible to be 'good enough' to force a gen down the killer is camping without them having any potential to hurt you. The killer should, if they respond correctly in that scenario, win no matter how good you are because your doing the thing survivors aren't 'meant' to be doing.

• glitchboi

The only issue there is the smol pp build (aka Unbreakable & DS)

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

You know how when you miss a skillcheck you can't progress anymore for 3ish seconds.

Including that in the kick effect and that the regression doesn't go away untill the full 3 seconds have been worked on could be neat

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,291
    edited March 2021

I don't think it should be 10%, but requiring survivors to complete a short action to fix the regression before being able to resume progression might be a good idea and a way to solve gen-tapping.

EDIT: Actually, how about this: Kicking a generator sets it back 4% and makes it start regressing. When a survivor attempts to fix it, they need to spend 3 seconds working on it before the regression is halted, during which they get two skill checks. Good skill checks refund 1% of progress, greats refund 2%, max 4%.

That way, survivors are rewarded for working together, putting in genuine effort, and hitting harder skill checks. At the same time, damaging generators becomes more influential, and perks that make skill checks harder gain extra weight.

• glitchboi

Now that's what I call mega- uhh... err... idk. Awesome.

• swager21
  • AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited March 2021

I think it should be 5% which is 4 seconds, we could also buff overcharge to make it regress gens an additional 5% and the skill check regress by 5% to make it apply the same regression just more reliable (10% for kicking a gen, 15% if they fail the skill check)

• Yoonz
    Yoonz Member Posts: 66

I like how you 'killer mains' are throwing numbers around like you know what you are talking about whilst most good players kill everyone at 3-4 gens to go.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Survivor main here, and I agree with at least 2-3% base generator damage. I’d even say 5%. It’s ridiculously stupid how little return a killer can get due to gen tapping.

But I would also want Pop nerfed to 20% if this buff took place.

• Yoonz

Killer players already have so much handholding it's insane. And on top of that bloodlust still exists and maps are being reworked with less than 10 pallets on some maps and then others with 20+ pallets (The game vs Chapel in the same patch.).

There was a proposal by someone as well that "All gens should regress when the survivors don't work on them". It's so incredibly out of touch. If all maps were somewhat evenly balanced in terms of playability I could remotely think about a flat regression for a kick but the maps are despite the reworks not in a good place.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

You’re going quite off topic sir. I perfectly understand that the game is (imo) in the best state it’s ever been for killer. And I 100% disagree with that basekit Ruin post.

None of this changes the fact that damaging generators, at base, is a weak action for the alleged ‘power role’. If they’re not going to introduce a game mechanic to hard counter gen tapping, the least killers deserve is for that gen to lose immediate progress without the help of a perk.

• Yoonz

You really don't 'deserve' anything as Killer atm. You said it yourself, best it has ever been for Killer. Really shouldn't buff them anymore.