Breakable Walls.

Zaytex
Zaytex Member Posts: 841
edited March 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

God, there's nothing more boring and annoying then being in a chase against a survivor and needing to break a wall next to a vault or loop to stop making it an infinite.

Such interactive gameplay and the developers seem insistent of making infinites or super strong loops and just slap a breakable wall next to it for ''balance''.

Please stop.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I can see the idea behind, that is whoever go to that place will benefit first (that is only once for survivor). Though a map has only 1 possible spawn of infinity, make it predictable and become a chord for Killer.

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918

It seems a lot of the community hates them. Of course Behaviour is too proud to go back on them.

The chases are the fun part of DBD, having the rush and excitement of a chase interrupted by some stupid breakable wall really takes a lot of wind out of what makes the game fun.

You can maybe break some at the start but it depends on spawn locations, also spending 30 seconds walking around a large building like ormond breaking the walls and then going for a gen gives the survivors plenty of free gen time

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Correction: They were asked for BUT only for killers to make new beneficial path's through maps for the KILLERS ONLY.

They were not wanted as a way of making new infinite loops until broken which the developers are mainly using them for.

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

Not only for new paths, but to be added to improve map design. EG: The breakable wall that prevents the badham gate window from becoming an infinite. That's a good breakable wall.

Things that walls would also be used for is making some gens less safe due to less options of escape. Lots of maps have gens in just completely safe locations, adding walls to some escape routes would benefit there. It's why I actually like the breakable walls on game as it provides less escape routes for any gens nearby.

But as most things, they're added in a way where you're forced to break it and not put any thought behind it. Making boring gameplay.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    edited March 2021

Lets also not forget the noob trap walls like the ones in the badham's preschool/coal tower 2nd floor breakable walls that are solely breakable to screw over newer players who are trying killer.

For a mechanic that can only be interacted with by killers breakable walls are almost exclusively survivor sided.

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918

Are you surprised?

Also survivors can sadly still make the badham fence even running the long way around the school. That damn fence needs to go, along with a lot of the rest of badham. Those maps got adjusted twice and they’re still awful

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

God I had so many thoughts in my head for breakable walls, like one that opens up new entrances into the main buildings or opens shortcuts on maps like gas heaven through the car pile. Basically I thought they were gonna be used as a way to give new shortcuts to killers that may be useful later on in the match, not to recreate temporary old God windows because lmao we still don't know basic map design after 5 years of working on the same videogame.

• Mugombo
    Mugombo Member Posts: 509

Would you rather they replace the breakable walls with pallets

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,238

They could have gone in so many creative directions with them, but it stands to reason that people who can't balance maps in the first place would struggle to sensibly implement breakable walls.

I'd love nothing more than to never encounter another breakable wall. The dumbest possible reason for including them would be an excuse for busted loops, and that's exactly what they did.

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

i like the cool idea of them. how you manually have to do something to stop an infinite

• terumisan
    terumisan Member Posts: 1,293

That coal tower infinite/godloop is pretty annoying if you don't break the doors

• Lexilogo
    Lexilogo Member Posts: 587

To plug a post I made just under a week ago about this very topic (I'd advise not necroing it! it's just an analysis on why breakable walls suck and how I'd overhaul them, read if you're interested):

The TL:DR of that thread is that Killers should be able to walk directly through walls (as long as they're not in the middle of any animation/action) and immediately destroy them with no slowdown.

Some rework along those lines IMO would allow breakable walls to be used as a Killer-oriented looping resource (like how Pallets are an expendable looping resource for Survivors) which is immediately more interesting than current Breakable Walls, which are essentially Pallets, with less decisionmaking.

The Survivor doesn't get to decide when it drops because it's pre-dropped, nor can they Vault through it, and meanwhile the Killer doesn't really get to decide when to break it in practice, because in practice, it's "does this wall create an infinite, Y/N". If N, the wall might as well not exist, if Y, then the chase must stop so the Killer can go do some housekeeping, instead of how Pallets usually create some genuine mindgames even behind many safe pallets.