Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

Is 3 Gen situation, a Killer Strategy, or Survivors' Mistake?

As a Killer Main, with a fair share of Survivor play; I always leans towards Survivor making the big blunder in causing these 3 gen scenarios to occur! Sure, killers have eyes on the gens, especially with the right kind of map, they can pressure the Survivor off their 3 selected gens! But, what about Causal games in which you do not think gen defense as much; and the Survivors (probably low rank or not skill players), have mindless fix any closest gen near them; and not considered all gen locations in that match! Wouldn't it be a mistake, on their part for losing; if they made the 3 gen possible in the first place?

Best Answers

• Volfgang57
    Volfgang57 Member Posts: 369
    Answer ✓

For me it's usually a survivor mistake as I don't realize they've been 3 genned until they are. There's been a few times where I manipulated it, but that's rare. If I notice a group of 3 gens and 1 in the distance, I'll usually ignore the 1 in the distance

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    Answer ✓

Pretty much both. Killers will usually be actively going for a 3-gen if possible, which can be very easy with incompetent survivors. That being said, it's pretty much inevitable in solo queue, where it's harder to coordinate, and there are some absolutely disgusting 3-gen configurations *coughs in Doctor.*

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927
    Answer ✓

It's the survivors mistake. To many run to the first gen they see on the side of the map instead of getting the middle gens done first and stopping any chance of being in a 3 gen situation.

• pigsaag
    pigsaag Member Posts: 206
    Answer ✓

a bit of both.

• sleepywynd
    sleepywynd Member Posts: 118
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓

When a killer realizes a 3gen and starts to control it, it becomes a killer strategy. However, it is typically survivor's slipping up and not spreading out enough that leads to it.

• CheesyGuy
    CheesyGuy Member Posts: 399
    Answer ✓

Most of the time its survivors mistake. At the start of the match the game is survivor sided and after the game moves on tables turned to killer. At the start if the survivors choose not to do gens with strategic ways it is their fault that it will stay 3 gen situation where each of them are close to each other. If they have 4 survivors during that 3 gen situation they sometimes can get away with smart gameplay without losing any member. Most of the game relies of the survivor mistakes actually. Yes there is killer tactics and strategy but overall it is the survivors that will pay for their mistakes such as 3 gens.

Overall 3gen state is survivor mistake. I dont see many killer that just guards that 3 gens during the start of the matches.

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓

Both, but I usually personally will find a 3 gen and focus a lot of my patrolling over that area. I start in wider circles with a 4 - 5 gen and slowly tighten them up. I learned from playing low mobility killers to just let go of gens that are on second floors/basements and on the edges of the map. There's always a cluster somewhere on even ground that's easy to patrol.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,017
    Answer ✓

Usually the survivor's mistake, though trying to keep a 3 gen can be done by the killer.

• Zagrid
    Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000
    Answer ✓

Yes.

That is the answer, yes.

Answers

• fatbabyslayer
    fatbabyslayer Member Posts: 105

Ide say its both I could hard guard 3 really close gens but I think its good to mix and not always have a 3 gen cuz you can end up hurting yourself by not hooking anyone just guarding 3 gens