Maps are Lackluster and it's hard to justify bringing one over another item

Options
aarongai
aarongai Member Posts: 155
edited November 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions

How many survivors do you see running a map in your games? I'm gonna guess maybe 1 out of 20 games you'll find a person using the map, and if you ask them why, they'll probably admit they're just using it to get extra bloodpoints for discovering objectives.

So here's a rework idea to actually make the map useful:

• Maps no longer reveal discovered objects on the map while holding M2
  • Maps instead gain a Chart function. Right click any nearby object while holding a map to Chart it, revealing its aura to all teammates
  • Map rarity / add-ons can increase the max number of objects that can be Charted at one time
  • Charges are expended for every object Charted
  • Bloodpoints are awarded the first time a teammate interacts with something you Chart
  • Dropping the map will cause Charted object auras to disappear

Benefits of the rework:

• Gives the map utility that is noticeable immediately to you and your team, helping prioritize your objectives
  • By granting bloodpoints only when a teammate interacts with something you Chart, you're rewarded for doing something useful rather than just collecting bloodpoints for every object you run into
  • Possibly allow even pallets, windows, hooks, and lockers to be Charted, which could indirectly save your teammates' lives

Comments

• Aerys
    Aerys Member Posts: 179
    Options

That's a pretty neat idea, I like the prospect of using the map to reveal auras. idk about the bonus BP for people using things you've mapped, it ain't like you get BP from other items for using them, just the ability to mark things in aura is strong enough to warrant using.

• Dragonredking
    Dragonredking Member Posts: 874
    Options

I remenber a time where bringing a map allowed you to maximise the objectif categorie without touching a single gen.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

@aarongai said:
    How many survivors do you see running a map in your games? I'm gonna guess maybe 1 out of 20 games you'll find a person using the map, and if you ask them why, they'll probably admit they're just using it to get extra bloodpoints for discovering objectives.

• Maps instead gain a Chart function. Right click any nearby object while holding a map to Chart it, revealing its aura to all teammates
    • Map rarity / add-ons can increase the max number of objects that can be Charted at one time
    • Bloodpoints are awarded the first time a teammate interacts with something you Chart

Benefits of the rework:

• Gives the map utility that is noticeable immediately to you and your team, helping prioritize your objectives
    • By granting bloodpoints only when a teammate interacts with something you Chart, you're rewarded for doing something useful rather than just collecting bloodpoints for every object you run into
    • Possibly allow even pallets, windows, hooks, and lockers to be Charted, which could indirectly save your teammates' lives

Nice idea and doesnt buff SWF.

I assume that the charted objective is only highlighted for a certain time and will go back to normal then

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

@Master said:

@aarongai said:

Benefits of the rework:

I assume that the charted objective is only highlighted for a certain time and will go back to normal then

I assumed that it was more of a Third-Seal type mechanic, where you would only see the auras of the last however many objects you charted, but they would be revealed indefinitely. It is a good idea in terms of closing the gap between SWF and solo queue (which I think is the actual solution to the SWF problem, because it's a lot easier to nerf/buff survivors to a point of balance if you only have to work to one standard instead of two separate ones).

• Master
    Options
    Fibijean said:

@Master said:

@aarongai said:

Benefits of the rework:

I assumed that it was more of a Third-Seal type mechanic, where you would only see the auras of the last however many objects you charted, but they would be revealed indefinitely. It is a good idea in terms of closing the gap between SWF and solo queue (which I think is the actual solution to the SWF problem, because it's a lot easier to nerf/buff survivors to a point of balance if you only have to work to one standard instead of two separate ones).

Mhm the issue with this would be if the map gets overused, it would probably confuse more than help, also imagine several maps in one session

I would imagine it more as something like a ping or sth bbq-like.

Also with the permanent aura there will occur other problems, e.g. what happens if the gen is done or of the pallet is dropped? 

• Aerys
    Aerys Member Posts: 179
    Options

@Master
    I would assume that when a Gen is done or Pallet is dropped the aura would disappear just like it does for other effects/the Killer and their Gen auras. I doubt it'd confuse people too much either, it'd be like Windows of Opportunity with unlimited range lol.

• Master
    Options

@Aerys said:
    @Master
    I would assume that when a Gen is done or Pallet is dropped the aura would disappear just like it does for other effects/the Killer and their Gen auras. I doubt it'd confuse people too much either, it'd be like Windows of Opportunity with unlimited range lol.

That would be OP for looping if the aura is permanent until the pallet is dropped, you mark all the pallets and every survivor knows where to loop the killer into eternity. Trust me, thats the only reason why average survivors die so often, they dont memorize where they still have pallets etc.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

@Master said:
    Fibijean said:

@Master said:

@aarongai said:

* Maps no longer reveal discovered objects on the map while holding M2
    * Maps instead gain a Chart function. Right click any nearby object while holding a map to Chart it, revealing its aura to all teammates
    * Map rarity / add-ons can increase the max number of objects that can be Charted at one time
    * Charges are expended for every object Charted
    * Bloodpoints are awarded the first time a teammate interacts with something you Chart
    * Dropping the map will cause Charted object auras to disappear

Benefits of the rework:

* Gives the map utility that is noticeable immediately to you and your team, helping prioritize your objectives
    * By granting bloodpoints only when a teammate interacts with something you Chart, you're rewarded for doing something useful rather than just collecting bloodpoints for every object you run into
    * Possibly allow even pallets, windows, hooks, and lockers to be Charted, which could indirectly save your teammates' lives

Mhm the issue with this would be if the map gets overused, it would probably confuse more than help, also imagine several maps in one session

I would imagine it more as something like a ping or sth bbq-like.

Also with the permanent aura there will occur other problems, e.g. what happens if the gen is done or of the pallet is dropped? 

Yeah I get where you're coming from, but thinking about it, it wouldn't be any worse than a fully explored rainbow map, which I definitely find more helpful than confusing in most cases. Perhaps there could be a "read/toggle map aura" mechanic if someone on the team has a map, so you could in a sense 'opt-in' to see the auras when you want to.

As for changes in status like generator repairs, I assume it would work like any other aura-reading perk or item. Generators are no longer visible once repaired, but pallets are still visible whether they're up or down. Sure, there are some things that might need ironing out, but I think overall it's a pretty sound proposal.