Is Franklin's Demise toxic?

Options
ShamelessPigMain
ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
edited May 2021 in General Discussions

I feel like forcing survivors to drop their items is kind of like petty theft, but at the same time, keys exist so it's kind of necessary. So what's the general consensus of Franklin's Demise? Toxic or a necessary evil?

Comments

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,349
    Options

I'd hardly call it toxic, but there isn't really any need for it apart from

A: A survivor has a key

B: Adept Leatherface

Most other items are mediocre at best most of the time.

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927
    Options

I don't think anything in the game is toxic. I think it's fine and understandable against keys, however against other items it's very much an anti fun perk.

• Jasix
    Jasix Member Posts: 1,245
    Options

No. Franklin's is a great perk to counter keys and flashlights. Then again I don't think any perk (survivor or killer) is toxic - they are simply tools to help you "win."

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,659
    Options

Nope and it's not very good anyway. If you have a good item like a key, just drop it before being hit and it won't be consumed by the entity. It should be buffed so that any item on the floor is on a timer IMO.

• Zro
    Zro Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2021
    Options

I don't think it's toxic, but for me there are no toxic perks. Everyone in the game always takes some risk because you never know what perks are in the match. The perk is in the game, so you can use it. If someone whines about it, it's not my problem. I'm not going to let someone tell me what perks I can take.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,158
    edited May 2021
    Options

Franklins was only toxic when people would equip it, make a survivor drop their item then DC.

It was kinda hilarious, not gonna lie.

Obviously DC penalties means people don't really do this anymore

• TruffleTurtle
    TruffleTurtle Member Posts: 614
    Options

I personally thing it's a waste of a perk slot

• Toblerone007
    Toblerone007 Member Posts: 598
    Options

Not toxic.

Very unfun perk though imo. Doesn't feel good dropping your item.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,605
    Options

Is not toxic, and it's a good counter if you see a lot of annoying items in the lobby specially flashlights.

• wxnickxw
    wxnickxw Member Posts: 740
    Options

I don't know if it's just me but I find that the item Ioose tends to be used up by the time I drop it anyway

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Options

You're being toxic, reported.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

On a serious note, it depends on many upon many factors, but 99.99% of the time, no, it's not toxic.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,733
    Options

Depends why you're running it. If you're using it because you're playing a killer that doesn't like certain items, or because you saw items in the lobby you didn't want to deal with, or even just because recently every game would have at least one key in chests and you needed to preemptively remove that - it's just a tool for a purpose.

If you're using it because you feel like griefing survivors, then yes, you're being toxic. Intent's what matters, not mechanics.

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109
    Options
  • Hellbughunter
    Hellbughunter Member Posts: 83
    Options

Maybe the toxicity was the friends we t-baged along the way

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,112
    Options

The biggest use of Franklin's Demise is to knock flashlights out of hands.

SWF survivors are the ones who use flashlights the most often.

SWF are on comms and will have someone else rescue the flashlight.

----

Just use Lightborn instead

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Options

I see it like this: Using slugging as an example.

You're just playing to win, even if it's not popular, so therefore, it's not toxic. You have no malicious intent, so you're in the clear.

Now, on the other hand, let's say you're trying to waste as much time as humanly possible by slugging, to a point where it gets out of hand, then that would be considered toxic due to the malicious intentions behind it. You're not playing the game, you're just trying to waste other's time, so you're not in the clear.

However, it's so hard to tell, so we just give benefit of the doubt unless they make it plainly obvious in-game or they straight up admit to it.

• NotACompPlayer
    NotACompPlayer Member Posts: 193
    Options

The only toxic thing in video games is chat harassment. You can't be toxic by playing the game.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Its a perk in a video game, nothing toxic about it

• Dennis_van_eijk
    Dennis_van_eijk Member Posts: 1,704
    Options

Just use whatever you want, it's in the game for a reason.

You really think the other side thinks about what is fair for you?

People only think it's unfair or toxic if they rely to heavily on items.

And those that do you can find easily, just hit them and chase them for a second or 3 and than leave them.

Look how fast they go back for their item despite they have 90s before it disappears.

• Harold_Shipman
    Harold_Shipman Member Posts: 737
    Options

It's annoying, its essentially a perk that just wastes survivors BP. Would much prefer it if items you lost to franklins were returned if you survived the trial. But it is an annoyance at worst.

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326
    Options

It’s annoying sure, but anyone who says it’s toxic, has no idea what actual ‘toxicity’ is.

• Zixology
    Zixology Member Posts: 1,062
    Options

Considering that one hit means that your item is 100% gone, I'd say it's toxic if you're aware of what the perk does and how broken it is.

If you down someone with a basic attack, they're not getting that item back. They won't be back in 60 seconds after you pick them up, carry them, hook them, (hopefully) leave the hook, then they get rescued. That item is gone for good and there's currently no in game counter to it.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

Here's a more interesting question - is it toxic to bring green keys to make the killer waste a slot on Franklin's?

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    Options

It's a fricking perk/game mechanic, how can it be toxic?

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

FD is a workaround to a problem that could have been solved much more easily.

As it is now, it's often used to be obnoxious, not to actually even the odds. And the better solution would have been a rework to keys (like only have them spawn in chests instead of being brought in) and to items in general.

I maintain the opinion that a lot of stuff in the game could be fixed with dynamic map generation

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

No. Survivor can bring whatever rarity key they like for whatever reason they see fit, including bringing a green key to bait out Franklin's.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

Correct answer. Not only is it not toxic, it's extremely amusing

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843
    Options

I don't really see the point in using perks to deal with items, you're throwing away a perk slot for something that doesn't cost the opponent a perk slot, and even then you can't completely get rid of them. But perks were made to be used so I think people can use whatever perks they want

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562
    Options

Really? It's toxic if I use it because it works as intended? Rofl.

How dare Killers use perks that work!

• Lost_Boy
    Lost_Boy Member Posts: 568
    Options

It can be a good time waster when you have like 3 torches on a team. You can guarantee like 90% of the players will try and retrieve the lost torch. Other than that it's pretty pointless.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,542
    Options

It's not toxic, but it's definitely an annoying perk to go up against.

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122
    Options

You know what is toxic? 2-3 keys with purple addons and White Wards, or 4 flashlights. If they want to screw with me I'll screw with them, quid pro quo.

• Zixology
    Zixology Member Posts: 1,062
    Options

I'll remember that next time I see killers whining about my perks.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,619
    Options

It's just an annoying perk that takes your items and add-ons that you spent a ton of bp on, in a game where the grind is too much for how little you get.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,810
    Options

Its annoying because I don't want to bring event items since when I have before the killer has gone out of their way to snipe the medkit or toolbox out of my hands and camp it. Same reason I don't use my event cakes, since the killer just seems to go out of their way to make it an unenjoyable match.

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562
    Options

Weird. I don't use event cakes because Survivors always expect me to farm when I use it, then put me on blast when I don't farm with them.

They seem to think Cake = Farm & that I'm breaking some golden rule by playing to win instead.

• Beelzeboop
    Beelzeboop Member Posts: 1,306
    Options

I almost invariably run it on Wraith, mostly because he's countered by flashlights and medkits, but also so I don't have to deal with keys and face-sabos.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,810
    Options

Regardless of what side, whenever a cake is played it always ends up being a sweatfest.