Accessibility Option to Mute Gagging and Puke Noises

EngineerDispenser
EngineerDispenser Member Posts: 52
edited May 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

I want to bring up something that might hinder certain players from playing the game. Developers made the point for a while of bringing accessibility to their game and I want to push it forward with this suggestion. We know about phobias regarding clowns, motion sickness, and other triggering issues that may prevent a player from enjoying a game lobby. However, I want to hyper focus more on a particular phobia that doesn't get discussed often and I deal with on a personal level. This is known as emetophobia.

Emetophobia is defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) as:

The specific fear of vomiting and avoidance behaviors related to vomiting situations. [Source]

NOW, HOW DOES THIS RELATE TO DEAD BY DAYLIGHT?

Nemesis and Plague are the two killers result in puking animations either from themselves and/or the survivors. Despite killers getting an advantage from the constant gagging and puking noises, it may result in certain players' anxiety increasing and cause potential health issues. If it reaches a certain threshold, then the player may prematurely end the match (by AFKing or DCing) due to their anxiety levels being too much to handle. Since survivors can't know who their killer is, an option should be available to mute optional ambient noises on their end.

REGARDING NEMESIS' NOISES (PTB)

Nemesis isn't as bad compared to the Plague. However, this can get worse over time as Nemesis levels up, the infection is left untreated on the survivor, and results in the survivor puking and gagging. From playing on the PTB, it was tolerable from the time I've played on there and only felt a bit nauseous after two or so hour sessions. Fun killer to play as and against, but I can see the problem there if people play the "don't cleanse" game. The same mentality that survivors used against Plague to avoid her retrieving her ranged upgrade.

WHY DOES THIS MATTER TO AFFECTED PLAYERS?

Plague's implementation as a killer isn't flawed or bad design. Yet, constantly hearing the gagging and puking would eventually claws away at my anxiety as the game continued. Depending on my mental health status (and it fluctuated per day), I can barely hold a few minutes on a bad day or three matches on a good day. The noises, the animations, and the fact of "cleansing can easily turn the tables on you" is simply too much pressure and anxiety. If the killer happens to be a jerk and BMs me with the puke, then it can easily trigger the phobia and result in me AFKing or DCing. That's why I would like developers to consider accessibility options to ease anxiety levels.

Comments

• Saltjar34
    Saltjar34 Member Posts: 766

There is one way to fix this but we'll probably only get this when the devs realize they can put skins on the killer's power

Now in TF2, the Pyro who is notorious for his flamethrower, has a skin for that weapon that causes it to shoot rainbows. It even changes the sound effects if I'm not wrong. Now the rainblower may not be added for people with Pyrophobia but perhaps you can use that logic on Plague? Perhaps make her puke out rainbows and instead have the survivors make sounds of glittering sparkles?

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015

Supporting ya with an updoot. I don't have this phobia but I still think people who suffer from it should be given accessibility options to make it easier for them to enjoy playing against Nemesis and Plague.

• EngineerDispenser
    EngineerDispenser Member Posts: 52

That actually sounds like a decent idea I would support. I played TF2 for a few years before DBD came along and I loved the game. That weapon in particular was one of my favorites to meme around, outside of my Australium weapon collection. So, I could see this being an suitable alternative.

Exactly. I have issues playing Plague due to the puking and gagging noises. Given there are current rift challenges for Plague, I let a friend get onto my account to do them for me.